• thomas straub

Friday am at the gym

gripstuff:

credit card set to ruler hold@7lbs

T,#1, #2.5 weak today <1cmLR, 1cmLR

#2 rulerholds: x6 last hold weak

1 hand plate pinch-lbs

74lbsx2 DL X12 sets

45's 2hand deadlift to one hand hold and regrip x10 pretty friggin quick, not much strength for a hold, hand barely came free and I had to quickly regrab to prevent them from falling.

Jon@han

Next session at home I'll add in a few bounce sets with the 45's off the couch!

Jon@han

Jonathan, I found a pretty heavy-duty mini-tramp on craigslist; it works great for the Inch. I think a regular cheap one you can find at about any yard sale for $5 or less would work well for 2x45 plates or blockweights.If you have a significant other they might not approve, unless you have an old couch or can cover it with a big body pillow and/or old blanket.

Do you think narrow pinch is related to the 'close' part of grippers and wide pinch/thickbar to the sweep? I've heard it said that "thickbar kills the crush". It was just something that came to mind as a possibility.

I've been tempted to buy a mini tramp at yardsales for bouncing work, but never did go through with it. I've used the couch in the basement for the 45's in the past and the blob50 as well. As far as pinch widths effecting parts of gripper closing, that would make sense in theory don't know if it pans out in reality though. Ie. I consider my sweep my strong point :laugh

Jon@han

I've been tempted to buy a mini tramp at yardsales for bouncing work, but never did go through with it. I've used the couch in the basement for the 45's in the past and the blob50 as well. As far as pinch widths effecting parts of gripper closing, that would make sense in theory don't know if it pans out in reality though. Ie. I consider my sweep my strong point :laugh

Jon@han

Another red herring, oh well. I was hoping narrow pinch would generalize, since i like training pinch better than grippers at this point. Don't really like that next-day middle knuckle soreness, feels like damage more than anything. I've built up my extensor strength a lot, and still feel this even though I almost never work grippers now.

Bob, the good news is I tend not to fit things like this so just because its not so with me, doesn't mean anything and in fact your theory might hold out for the average trainer. I think your smart trying to train around something if an exercise feels like its causing injury, I sure as hell wouldn't be pumpin on the grippers either.

Sunday at the gym grip stuff:

RT short loading pin-lbs

130x3DL x13 sets still feeling strong

TTK 2 thumbs-lbs

18.5x20 X4 sets last 2 sets not 20 reps 18 and 17

did some block lifting err...attempts not happening today.

Jon@han

Monday after work Grip stuff:

credit card set grippers

T,#1, Filed #2 x1,

#2.5 <1cm LR

SM xforced shut

#3 x forced shut

That was it, rest of the barbell workout was going really crappy so instead of hammering the grip -figured it was time to cool my heels a little bit

Jon@han

Wed at the gym Grip stuff:

RT 132.5lbs on short loading pin

X3 DL's X14 sets -still feeling easy

TTK 2 thumbs @19.5lbs

x20, x18, x18, x15 -cramping thumb pads

Played with the 40lb hex block, dragging it along the ground still couldn't quite get the thing up.

Jon@han

Jonathan, are you doing any specific extensor work lately? I think working on my extensors has helped me more than anything (mostly IM bands). Sure is boring, but less boring than most meetings at work which is when I try to do them. It looks like you did a lot more extensor work a few years ago, unless I'm missing something.

Good luck in getting mastery over the 2.5 and I hope to see you on the COC list in the next year or so. You are a study in perseverance, and i truly admire you for it.

Thanks Bob, you are correct I am not currently doing any extensor work, I like the IM bands for the consistency of it.

Sunday night after workGrip stuff:

RT low pin @135lbs

x3DL x7 sets -no time/gas in the tank left

TTK @20lbs 2 thumbs

x20,x20, x18, x15 toast

Monday's stuff at the gym

credit card set to ruler hold

T,#1 x1

#2.5 x1cm left, 1mm right, x1cm left, clicked shut right!!!!

filed #2 ruler hold @6.25lbs x1, 7.5x1, 8.75x1, 10x0

one hand pinch 75lbs

x2DL x7 sets

Jon@han

Friday grip stuff:

credit card set to rulerhold

T,#1 x1

#2.5 x>1cm L shut R!, >1cm L shut R!!!, >1cm L, 1mm Right!!! -damn near almost got it shut 3 times this workout!!!!

filed #2 rulerhold @7.5lbs x9 holds most were good solid +5second holds

one hand pinch max attempt-lbs

70x1, 75x1, 80x1, 81x1, 82x1, 83x1

35+45 x1 35 on thumbside nice and easy

also on Wed I hit an RT with the ironmind pin @165lbs, haven't done that much in a while so if felt good.

Jon@han

Monday am before 11 to 11 shiftGrip stuff:

cc set

T,#1, #2.5 way off with both hands

go really grip machine

1 handed: freex5, 10lbsx5, 20x5, 30x5, 40x5, 50x2, 90x2 negs good holds and resisting release the entire time

2 handed: bodyweight+50 x1

gonna try to git some pinch in after work if I am not too sleepy had no time this am.

Jon@han

Wed's Grip stuff

RT low pin @137.5lbs

x3DL x11 sets -grip felt up to the job much better then the last session

TTK 2 thumbs@22.5lbs

x15, x15, x15, x10 -think the weight jump was too great from last time, might drop it back to 20 next session

Jon@han

friday am before going to work:

grips:

cc set rulerholds @8.75lbs

T,#1, #2.5 >1cm left 1mR, <1cm LR

filed#2 rulerhold @8.75lbsx6 holds last one for a long hold.

one hand pinch @76lbs

x2DLx4 sets ripped right thumb open had to stop.

Jon@han

Monday's grip stuff:

credit card set

T,#1, #2.5 1cmL shut R, 1cmL shut R, 1cmL 1mmR

rulerhold@9.5lbs x3 solid holds, next attempts I couldn't even pinch the ruler at all with the handles let alone lift the apparratus so I was done. No time for anything else

Jon@han

Friday's Gripstuff:

credit card set

T,#1, #2.5 <1cm Left, shut R, 1cmL 1mmR

forced shut from cc set #2.5x6 sets LR both hands would pop open to the 1-2mm mark immediately once asssistance was gone but I was able to hold it there for a solid length of time

one hand pinch-lbs

70x1, 75x1, 80x1, 85x1, 90x4-5" left only right broke off the ground but virtually no air. I am estatic, over the moon this has been a longtime coming!!!! Next session is backing the weight back to 70 and voluming up again.

Jon@han

Sunday's grip stuff

RT low pin @125lbs

x3DL x8 sets -backing off to work up again

TTK 2 thumbs @17.5lbs

x20 X4 sets -same with this backing off to work up again

Jon@han

Friday's Gripstuff:

credit card set

T,#1, #2.5 <1cm Left, shut R, 1cmL 1mmR

forced shut from cc set #2.5x6 sets LR both hands would pop open to the 1-2mm mark immediately once asssistance was gone but I was able to hold it there for a solid length of time

one hand pinch-lbs

70x1, 75x1, 80x1, 85x1, 90x4-5" left only right broke off the ground but virtually no air. I am estatic, over the moon this has been a longtime coming!!!! Next session is backing the weight back to 70 and voluming up again.

Jon@han

Jonathan, good work closing that 2.5 again and it looks like you're getting pretty close to elite standards on that 1HP, very nice.

Are you able to use your palm against the device/plates when you pinch? I still use mostly fingertip/thumb strength, hard to break that habit.

Edited by odin

I'm with you Bob, I have lousy technique no palm action whatsoever :laugh

Doubt I'll get my #3 shut before the end of the year but maybe the 45's might get some air which would be pretty sweet.

Wed's Grip stuff:

RT short pin @127.5lbs

x3DL X9 sets

TTK 2 thumbs@18lbs

x20 X4 sets

Jon@han

Friday after work:

credit card set to rulerhold@10lbs

T,#1, #2.5 2-3mm LR,

Filed #2@10lbs x1 LR

credit card set to thick rulerhold 6 rulers

5lbs LR, 6lbs R only

Goreally grip machine

1 hand: 30x5, 40x5, 55x0

2 hand neg BW+110 x1 nice long hold throughout rom

one hand pinch

71lbs x3DL, x7DL,x6DL that was all do to the back cramping

Jon@han

Sunday night Grip stuff:

RT short pin

130lbx3 DL x3 sets, 140x1, 150x1, 160 Left only right partial only

Short on time

Monday am really short on time grip stuff:

credit card set to rulerhold

T,#1 #2.5 1cmL 1/2cm R?

filed #2 @11.25lbs x4 solid holds

one hand pinch

72lbs x3 alternating DL's x3 sets ripping thumbs plates at gym are sharp

35+45 x1, x1

think the #3 work is killing the recovery a bit as I can't seem to get that 2.5 shut right now, oh well hopefully I'll adapt

Jon@han

no grip stuff wed other then fighting with a piece of 5/8" steel way to hard for me I had to use my foot for most of the bend :blush , Friday am grip stuff:

credit card set grippers

T, #1 x1

#2.5 <1cm L shut R, 2mm L shut R, <1cm L shut R, 2mm L shut R, 1cm L shut R, <1cm L shut R!!!

I don't know what was more exciting for me getting near closing with my L or shut'n it all those times with my R hand.

credit card set to ruler hold

Filed #2 @12.5lbs: long hold, good hold, short hold

one hand pinch

75lbs x3DL's alternating hands X8 sets

Then when I got home I got a good bend with 1/2" square x 4' piece. Started on my neck then went to a modified bow to get it U'd then I crossed the ends -definitly way easier then 5/8" round!!!!!

Jon@han

Sunday at the gym spent too much time doing form work on my bench so this is all I got done:

RT short pin@130lbs

x3DL x5 sets no time

TTK 2 thumbs @21.5lbs

x20 X2 sets no time

Jon@han

Monday not worth mentioning

one or two sets of grippers that was it

Wed afternoon Gripstuff:

hit some big PR's with the cards in prep for a little demonstration at the boys' school next week

Casnio deck x1 in the am, x1 pm!!!!!

$store: 1.5 decks !!!!!!

Bent a 60 penny with horrible technique

1/2" square x4' hot rolled of course into a nice loopy de doop

RT short pin @135lbs

x3DL X8 sets

TTK 2 thumbs@22.5lbs

x15 X4 sets

Jon@han