Gripmas Carol 2009

climber511

Chris, remind me the grippers, equipment etc., you need me to bring.

If I have borrowed anything from anybody and I need to bring it back, please leave me a post, PM or email.

If anybody wants a go at a sick blockweight or something like that, let me know and I will make sure it is loaded into the vehicle.

-Jedd-

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

• MalachiMcMullen

Jedd

• Euro Pinch plates – with all rubbers

• Grippers – I still need a couple easy grippers – something between a Trainer and a #1 and something between a #1 and #2. The next big hole is between 182 and 191. Sundin has a 188.9 but I’d really like a 185ish gripper – I think this is going to be the real pile up and give a lot of ties here. Please bring whatever you have that is close to 140 – 160 – 170 – 185 – 199 – 210 plus also.

• I only have a Blob50 now days so if you can – bring a York or two. Please bring your 58# monster Blob too - I'd like to throw it into the Medley.

• Bring any other toys you want of course.

Jedd.

Can you take your laptop and stick it in the corner and brodcast this for us like you did with your contest? Would love to watch, since I can't be there!

Parris

Chris, my AW partner has left some easy HG's at my house that I could bring. I don't know if they're in the range you want but I can bring and we can cal them if you're up for it? They're all below the 300, I forget what strengths though as they're at home.

Edited by jad

Chris, my AW partner has left some easy HG's at my house that I could bring. I don't know if they're in the range you want but I can bring and we can cal them if you're up for it? They're all below the 300, I forget what strengths though as they're at home.

Josh please bring them - we can calibrate them beforehand and see if they are what we need.

I'm bringing the 6lb sledge if you still need it.

Sure - bring it along!

Jedd

• Grippers – I still need a couple easy grippers – something between a Trainer and a #1 and something between a #1 and #2. The next big hole is between 182 and 191. Sundin has a 188.9 but I'd really like a 185ish gripper – I think this is going to be the real pile up and give a lot of ties here. Please bring whatever you have that is close to 140 – 160 – 170 – 185 – 199 – 210 plus also.

• I only have a Blob50 now days so if you can – bring a York or two. Please bring your 58# monster Blob too - I'd like to throw it into the Medley.

I have a york blob and a baby 40 york, want them to come along?

Jedd

• Grippers – I still need a couple easy grippers – something between a Trainer and a #1 and something between a #1 and #2. The next big hole is between 182 and 191. Sundin has a 188.9 but I'd really like a 185ish gripper – I think this is going to be the real pile up and give a lot of ties here. Please bring whatever you have that is close to 140 – 160 – 170 – 185 – 199 – 210 plus also.

I have a york blob and a baby 40 york, want them to come along?

I have a 40 and I think Nick is bringing his Yorks so we should be good on Blobs. My Blob50 is actually kind of on the hard side. But thanks!

Guest Bullitt

I'll bring the HG200, which should calibrate somewhere between 75 & 80 (I'll come over early so we can calibrate). I'm bringing the 178# 3.5 and if they get here from Ryan in time, the 180# 3.5 and the 167# RB300 i just got from him. I also have Barbe's RB300, which calibrated at 170.14#. Nothing in the 182 - 190 range though. Hoping somebody can fill those in.

It looks like we're just going to have to close Bob's 188.9# gripper :whistel

It looks like we're just going to have to close Bob's 188.9# gripper :whistel

I can neither confirm nor deny that I closed it choked at parallel one week ago. :devil

It's Eaton's BBSE; I think Thornton was the only one to close it at Gripmas 2008.

Edited by odin

Jedd, if you want to trade grippers back at Gripmas, that's fine. Chris wanted me to bring your 169 anyway.

Chris, I'll bring my 139 RB210, my 150lb #3(you cal'd it at 152.5 and Bob and Thornton got 148/150), and the 169 as per your request :)

I could also bring my 2HP setup if it would make the event any faster. We could set one up for one group and so on, or we could use one for warmups and not have to worry about a bunch of people jumping in on the comp device.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Jedd, if you want to trade grippers back at Gripmas, that's fine. Chris wanted me to bring your 169 anyway.

Chris, I'll bring my 139 RB210, my 150lb #3(you cal'd it at 152.5 and Bob and Thornton got 148/150), and the 169 as per your request :)

I could also bring my 2HP setup if it would make the event any faster. We could set one up for one group and so on, or we could use one for warmups and not have to worry about a bunch of people jumping in on the comp device.

what ever device I warm up on is the one I want to compete on. they feel too different from day to day to just switch back and forth.

With class divisions, lightweights could go on one and heavyweights on another.

will there be enough room to have 2 set up and running? it's going to be tight this year.

brent

I must confess, my real motive behind offering my setup for the comp is because I know what I will pull on it. It always seems to me that when I use Jedd's, everyone likes more chalk than I do and it's hard to keep the surface as clean as I like. I don't know if I'm alone in that. All I know for sure about my pinch is that everytime I use Jedd's setup in-comp, I pull 10lbs less than I feel like I am capable of. The moment I took steel wool to my setup and made it as smooth as possible, I saw a 5lbs gain on my pinch + greater consistency in weight used perhaps due to a more consistent surface. Jedd has his setup the way a lot of people, most important being Jedd himself, want it. I think mine and my preference is the polar opposite and even more folks haven't given their surface a second thought past wiping the rust/excess chalk off before chalking up. So perhaps having both options there will be a plus? If for nothing more than an experiment?

You don't necessarily have to have 2 setups running at the same exact time. That changes the event entirely if you have 2 guys in direct competition having to change up how they pick their weights. Instead, you could have people choose a pinch setup on the fly, load them both up to the current weight in a rising bar event and just switch them out when someone wants a different surface. I've given some thought to grip in the past few days and sooooooo much depends upon the surfaces of the objects we lift. I think it's a bit more interesting with more than 1 option of surface in a standardized grip event like the 2HP or the axle. My setup was calibrated on the post office scale in Crooksville and I have all the numbers written down. I could just as easily bring more 25's, 10's, 5's and 2.5's to calibrate if more comp weights are necessary. I might be able to get some washers made this week similar to Chris's to make loading easier with a nice round number weight.

Sorry but no. I will be using my Americanized version of the 2 HP for the ladies division - and I would love to use mine for the comp too because I am more comfortable with it but I want no confusion, questions, or arguments later on about any real or perceived advantages that one might have over the other. I really think the one we used at Andrews feels the best of any I have felt so far if the edges were rounded down more but no matter. Everyone will use the same one and it will just have to take as long as it takes - sorry. Now if you want to take steel wool to Jedd's Euro - that's between you and Jedd :inno . It's just my opinion that during a long comp - the chalk does build up and get slick - wiping it down might be a good idea from time to time.

My setup is actually an industrial chrome which sounds like it would be terrible but it works really well and the surface is always the same - I don't claim it can be used for record purposes etc but its interesting that something so different looking and feeling can yield such similar results to all the other actual Euros I have used.

Sorry but no. I will be using my Americanized version of the 2 HP for the ladies division - and I would love to use mine for the comp too because I am more comfortable with it but I want no confusion, questions, or arguments later on about any real or perceived advantages that one might have over the other. I really think the one we used at Andrews feels the best of any I have felt so far if the edges were rounded down more but no matter. Everyone will use the same one and it will just have to take as long as it takes - sorry. Now if you want to take steel wool to Jedd's Euro - that's between you and Jedd :inno . It's just my opinion that during a long comp - the chalk does build up and get slick - wiping it down might be a good idea from time to time.

My setup is actually an industrial chrome which sounds like it would be terrible but it works really well and the surface is always the same - I don't claim it can be used for record purposes etc but its interesting that something so different looking and feeling can yield such similar results to all the other actual Euros I have used.

Boo.

Chris, remind me the grippers, equipment etc., you need me to bring.

If I have borrowed anything from anybody and I need to bring it back, please leave me a post, PM or email.

If anybody wants a go at a sick blockweight or something like that, let me know and I will make sure it is loaded into the vehicle.

-Jedd-

Jedd - send me the darn bio information - I need to get this thing put together!

Guest Bullitt

Jedd's bio:

People envy my hand size. I pinch very heavy stuff. Block weights fear me. Killer goats guard the route to my house. I will break the world 2HP record at Gripmas.

The End

Chris,

Did you get my Bio? Just wanted to make sure

Mike - got it.

Jedd's bio:

People envy my hand size. I pinch very heavy stuff. Block weights fear me. Killer goats guard the route to my house. I will break the world 2HP record at Gripmas.

The End

Chris - I think Mike has got it covered pretty well. :mosher

Jedd's bio:

The End

Chris - I think Mike has got it covered pretty well. :mosher

What most people don't know-unless they've met Jedd or go to grip contests-is that he has a gift for Spanish and speaks it fluently. I believe he said that the structure of it made sense to him from the beginning and that it was easy for him to learn; I think he had to learn for one of his jobs. I expected him to have a pro wrestler persona, but he is actually very humble and helpful.