Gripmas Carol 2009

climber511

Bob - That is pretty cool. I know it is hard to kind of get a "feel" for everyone's personality just by reading words on a screen. Also, just to clarify, I wasn't implying, nor do I think Mike was, that the above mentioned is "all that Jedd is about". I don't think he just runs around, "Dar, where's da gripper? I wanna squeeze da gripper and pick up heavy stuff."

In my short time on the Board I have realized that "us" grip guys are some of the coolest, most down to earth people around. And, that we are willing to help anyone out in anyway possible. Also, that most people on the "outside" think of us as meatheads. When nothing could be farther from the truth. There are some highly intelligent people on the board. (A few meatheads too though.) :tongue

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

• MalachiMcMullen

Bob - That is pretty cool. I know it is hard to kind of get a "feel" for everyone's personality just by reading words on a screen. Also, just to clarify, I wasn't implying, nor do I think Mike was, that the above mentioned is "all that Jedd is about". I don't think he just runs around, "Dar, where's da gripper? I wanna squeeze da gripper and pick up heavy stuff."

In my short time on the Board I have realized that "us" grip guys are some of the coolest, most down to earth people around. And, that we are willing to help anyone out in anyway possible. Also, that most people on the "outside" think of us as meatheads. When nothing could be farther from the truth. There are some highly intelligent people on the board. (A few meatheads too though.) :tongue

Huntca, Yes, it is pretty hard to explain how cool most of the competitors are and how fun the competitions really are until you go to one. I remember how nervous I was when I went to Gripmas 2007 until Chris Rice, John Eaton and Jedd talked to me and made me feel right at home.

Eaton in particular seems to keep in touch with everyone in the sport. Somehow, most everyone seems to think John is some type of Neanderthal or other knuckle-dragging throwback until they meet him-and nothing could be further from the truth. Although, he does come in handy when someone is needed to carry your Inch Dumbbell across an icy alley into Climber's gym, and he does it with a smile. A little known fact is that John makes up for his lack of regular training with his technical expertise-he gets pretty mad at me for not learning how to set grippers correctly. "Baaaaab, you'd be killing stuff..."

Edited by odin

^John Eaton missed his calling as a salesman. The guy can talk to anybody and I don't know how anybody who's met him could not like him.

Guest Bullitt

^John Eaton missed his calling as a salesman. The guy can talk to anybody and I don't know how anybody who's met him could not like him.

He's OK. :whistel

HAHA - Just kidding big guy! You know I love you! Yea Bob, along with Goody, the two people that have helped me the most with my progression in this sport are Jedd and Eaton. You would have to look far and wide to find 2 greater guys. As Chris said, everyone I have met on this board has been a great person(even Frank :tongue ). I posted that stuff as Jedd's bio as a joke. Definitely no offense meant, and I hope none was taken by Jedd. But if there was, I'll just keep his Inch and blob until he forgives me. ;):laugh Come to think of it, I have Eaton's blob too. I sure hope the Dodge makes it hauling all this iron. :D

This is the nature of what we do. A tiny, niche hobby. Everyone is great. I've met a few (like Bob Sundin) that I knew I would have been great friends with if only we lived closer. I have been very lucky to meet guys like Thorton and Zach who are within a 3 hour drive.

Looking forward to meeting Mike K and Mike R in particular. Jedd, Chris, Eaton, Josh, and many others are like old friends.

Jedd's bio:

People envy my hand size. I pinch very heavy stuff. Block weights fear me. Killer goats guard the route to my house. I will break the world 2HP record at Gripmas.

The End

Bullitt, I will punish you. I will crucify you. Real Bad.

Jedd's bio:

People envy my hand size. I pinch very heavy stuff. Block weights fear me. Killer goats guard the route to my house. I will break the world 2HP record at Gripmas.

The End

Killer Goats! Seriously one of the funniest moments ever. Your reaction was PRICELESS! HAHAHAHA!

Jedd's bio:

The End

Jedd

After you break the euro pinch record, drop it on Mikes foot that will give him something to complain about beside his back and teach him a lesson or two!

Rico

Edit:

P.S.

Do you really have goats in your yard?

Edited by rico300zx

Jedd's bio:

The End

Jedd

After you break the euro pinch record, drop it on Mikes foot that will give him something to complain about beside his back and teach him a lesson or two!

Rico

Edit:

P.S.

there seem to be a bunch of people with goats up in that area. I go a different route and I've passed a bunch of goats myself.

Guest Bullitt

Jedd's bio:

The End

:laugh Lugging the Inch to my car in freezing weather was my penance. Can't wait until Saturday bro! We meeting up on the way there?

Killer Goats! Seriously one of the funniest moments ever. Your reaction was PRICELESS! HAHAHAHA!

Is that a #$^@%#$ goat in the road? $#!t!!!! That's two %*$*&^#$E^ goats in the road! (Add tire squealing sound effect here). A classic grip moment I will never forget.

Jedd

Rico

Edit:

P.S.

Not in his yard. They are strategically placed stealth goats that jump out in front of unwitting gripsters on the way to Jedd's for a competition. They almost took Goody and me out the first time we went up there.

In all seriousness guys, I can't freakin wait! Going to see a bunch of good friends and meet a bunch more that I already feel like I know. Whatever i close, lift, or lever is secondary. This is gonna be a hoot! :rock

Jedd's bio:

The End

:laugh Lugging the Inch to my car in freezing weather was my penance. Can't wait until Saturday bro! We meeting up on the way there?

Is that a #$^@%#$ goat in the road? $#!t!!!! That's two %*$*&^#$E^ goats in the road! (Add tire squealing sound effect here). A classic grip moment I will never forget.

Jedd

Rico

Edit:

P.S.

Not in his yard. They are strategically placed stealth goats that jump out in front of unwitting gripsters on the way to Jedd's for a competition. They almost took Goody and me out the first time we went up there.

In all seriousness guys, I can't freakin wait! Going to see a bunch of good friends and meet a bunch more that I already feel like I know. Whatever i close, lift, or lever is secondary. This is gonna be a hoot! :rock

Mike you had better win something - going home in the car with your darling "and her prizes" is going to be interesting :yikes

Guest Bullitt

HAHA. Hey, at least I know one Rinderle will medal! I'm thinking about giving up the sport and just coaching melissa. I'll be the Captain Lou Albano of Grip! :mosher

HAHA. Hey, at least I know one Rinderle will medal! I'm thinking about giving up the sport and just coaching melissa. I'll be the Captain Lou Albano of Grip! :mosher

Better grow out the beard for the rubber bands soon then.

Maby you could buy a farm and raise goats?

Rico

Las cabras estan en todas partes por aqui. Pero no se preocupen de las cabras, amigos. Lo que necesitan temer es la chupacabra!

Jedd.

Can you take your laptop and stick it in the corner and brodcast this for us like you did with your contest? Would love to watch, since I can't be there!

Parris

I have to ask. it's actually my daughter's laptop.

Anybody interested in watching this?

I must confess, my real motive behind offering my setup for the comp is because I know what I will pull on it. It always seems to me that when I use Jedd's, everyone likes more chalk than I do and it's hard to keep the surface as clean as I like. I don't know if I'm alone in that. All I know for sure about my pinch is that everytime I use Jedd's setup in-comp, I pull 10lbs less than I feel like I am capable of. The moment I took steel wool to my setup and made it as smooth as possible, I saw a 5lbs gain on my pinch + greater consistency in weight used perhaps due to a more consistent surface. Jedd has his setup the way a lot of people, most important being Jedd himself, want it. I think mine and my preference is the polar opposite and even more folks haven't given their surface a second thought past wiping the rust/excess chalk off before chalking up. So perhaps having both options there will be a plus? If for nothing more than an experiment?

You don't necessarily have to have 2 setups running at the same exact time. That changes the event entirely if you have 2 guys in direct competition having to change up how they pick their weights. Instead, you could have people choose a pinch setup on the fly, load them both up to the current weight in a rising bar event and just switch them out when someone wants a different surface. I've given some thought to grip in the past few days and sooooooo much depends upon the surfaces of the objects we lift. I think it's a bit more interesting with more than 1 option of surface in a standardized grip event like the 2HP or the axle. My setup was calibrated on the post office scale in Crooksville and I have all the numbers written down. I could just as easily bring more 25's, 10's, 5's and 2.5's to calibrate if more comp weights are necessary. I might be able to get some washers made this week similar to Chris's to make loading easier with a nice round number weight.

Please bring yours so I can feel yours.

Chris, remind me the grippers, equipment etc., you need me to bring.

If I have borrowed anything from anybody and I need to bring it back, please leave me a post, PM or email.

If anybody wants a go at a sick blockweight or something like that, let me know and I will make sure it is loaded into the vehicle.

-Jedd-

Jedd - send me the darn bio information - I need to get this thing put together!

Again, I am very sorry. I never went back to this page of the replies until this morning and never saw this post until now. I didn't know I hadn't sent it.

Guest Bullitt

Las cabras estan en todas partes por aqui. Pero no se preocupen de las cabras, amigos. Lo que necesitan temer es la chupacabra!

:laugh:laugh

chupacabra-01.jpg

Edited by Bullitt