Bhsa Grip Championships 2009

mobsterone

My back and hip area is wrecked at the mo so that's taking the edge right off at the moment. If it affects anything it'll be the one hand deadlift but we'll see.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Paul Savage

• rico300zx

Seems I missed out on all the trash talking...

My mum is a nurse, if your back and hips are that bad, (grandpa) Steve I will bring a zimmer frame, a spare hip and a nice soft cushion for you to sit out any events you feel are for "the young'uns". :D

Edited by coombsfh

The spare hip sounds real nice but it'll be a tendon issue.

Sorry, NHS is fresh out of spare tendons...

Is it a new or old niggle?

Saw a few brand new tendons for sale on ebay - think the auctions ended about 5 minutes ago though. :(

Newish. I've had bulging discs and the sciatica that comes with them for years. I also accept that how hard we push ourselves means we tempt fate regarding injuries. But it's bloody annoying.

PS: the MM5 arrived yesterday.

Seems I missed out on all the trash talking...

My mum is a nurse, if your back and hips are that bad, (grandpa) Steve I will bring a zimmer frame, a spare hip and a nice soft cushion for you to sit out any events you feel are for "the young'uns". :D

dude, what the hell are you doing?? if theres any trash talking going on you DO NOT under any circumstances bring your mother into the conversation, and further more, NEVER say 'my mum is a nurse'

This from Mr one page back... go see what thee typed.

ha - PWNED!

hahaha damnit arnold!!!

note to self - dude, what the hell are your doing??? if theres any trash talking going on you DO NOT under any circumstances bring your mother into the conversation

hahaha damnit arnold!!!

note to self - dude, what the hell are your doing??? if theres any trash talking going on you DO NOT under any circumstances bring your mother into the conversation

she a nurse aswell? he he

Don't tell Steve but i've put Dolly Parton on his mp3 player that will take the edge off him.

Dolly Parton gives me morning edge. It may help. :D

best of luck to all in the comp - i had planned to attend, but too busy with work.

have fun!

yea, fight fair boys, and dont get hurt.

rico

Thanks to Steve for putting this on and also to all the sponsors (Al Christie, James Grahame and London Kettlebells) for the t shirts and prizes etc.

Everyone was on good form (well apart from me, I was terrible) and everyone had a good time.

Good to see Paul push Steve a little, I'm sure he will win this comp many times in the future. Sam also had a lot of pb's and will win this comp in the future if he doesn't cross over completely into strongman (where he's looking strong and will do a lot of damage)..

Fred is way stronger than last year and if he ever really starts to train regularly everyone will need to watch out.

I was way off my best due to the extended layoff but even at my best I'd have been hard pushed to beat any of the guys competing today.

hope we wont have to wait until next year to compete against each other again.

Stew

Cheers Stew. In my best BBC voice ''here are the results''

Overall results

1st Steve Gardener 6pts

2nd Paul Savage 10pts

3rd Sam Solomi 16pts

4th Fred Coombs 21pts

5th Stew Killick 22pts

Adjustable Gripper

L/H+R/H=Total

Paul S: 19+19=38

Steve G: 16+19=35

Sam S: 16+16=32

Fred C: 12+16=28

Stew K: 10+12=22

2HP

Name/width/best lift

Steve G (44): 110.20 (attempt of 115.7 just off)

Sam S (54): 93.07

Paul S (54): 78.83

Fred C (48): 77.7

Stew K (48): 72.64

Plate Wrist Curl

L/H+R/H=total

Steve G: 15+2.5+pin(19.10) plus 15+3.75+pin(20.35) = 39.45kg

Paul S: 15+2.5+pin(19.10) plus 15+2.5+pin(19.10) = 38.20kg

Sam S: 15+1.25+pin (17.85) plus 15+1.25+pin (17.85) = 35.70

Stew K: 15 (15) plus 15+pin (16.60) = 31.60

Fred C: 10+2.5+pin (14.10) plus 10+2.5+pin (14.10) = 28.20

One hand deadlift (hook grip)

L/H+R/H=total

Steve G: 180+200 = 380kilos

Paul S: 182.5+190 = 372.5kilos

Stew K:150+160= 310kilos

Fred C: 145+160 = 305kilos

Sam S: 140+150= 290kilos

Baby Inch for time (new rules)

L/H+R/H=total in seconds

Steve G: 50+50=100

Paul S: 35+36=71

Sam S: 21+34=55

Fred C: 28+22=50

Stew K: 8+8=16

Photos etc to follow cos I'm worn out.

Thanks to Steve for hosting this contest and to David for doing a really good job as a ref and keeping it all running smoothly and so on. And as per Stew's post above a big big thanks to the sponsors. London Kettlebells are good guys - if you are going to get KBs this is the place to go.

Everyone has improved a lot since last year!

Paul- It was nice to see you compete and kick serious arse - we all know what you are capable of in training but today you managed to put it all together in a contest. :rock

Steve - you are a BEAST. Your forearms looks like a decent set of calves. Quality effort today as always for you mate, hope the back/hip is ok. Bring on 20th June show 'em what we're all about this side of the atlantic ;)

Stew - I know you said it wasn't your best day but i think you gave a good show. Looking forward to competing/training with you again - a little bit more training before hand next year and you'll be kicking arse.

Fred - Massive gains since last year. More regular training and total body workand you'll be sorted. Twig's got to get a euro for you to play with to bring this up, can't believe he hasn't got one. Very impressed on the grippers. And baby inch holds. You have to be close to deadlifting the inch now for sure. Good to see you again hope to train with you sometime this year!!!

Me - I had a good day overall. Loads of PRs but a few disappointments. My one hand deadlift was way down my SI joint was playing up again but there's no point making excuses. Pinch wasn't as good as i had hoped - i had 100kg off the floor, but it wasn't there today. Back to the training hole for me and more hard work, it's getting there slowly. The thing that annoyed me the most is not being able to lock out the 48kg KB bottoms up press when we were all messing about afterwards.

:cool :cool :cool :cool

Also a special thanks to my mate Tim (not a GB member) a strongman who trains with me every Sunday for giving me a lift to the comp and back home :rock