Bhsa Grip Championships 2009

mobsterone

Hope it heals up quick Paul, funny with the back and warmups, my mate who has a 280kg dead from the floor popped his back out doing 140kg 18'' deads couldn't do anything squats/deads etc... for about 3 months and it cost him a load on physio. What are you pulling one hand hook gripped at the moment? I did 160kg today with either hand. Will hopefully get 180kg on the day each hand.

Edited by CoC#3

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Paul Savage

• rico300zx

Hope it heals up quick Paul, funny with the back and warmups, my mate who has a 280kg dead from the floor popped his back out doing 140kg 18'' deads couldn't do anything squats/deads etc... for about 3 months and it cost him a load on physio. What are you pulling one hand hook gripped at the moment? I did 160kg today with either hand. Will hopefully get 180kg on the day each hand.

the most ive done is 200 each hand, my regular deadlift is up to (or at least was before injury) about 270-280 so just comes down to the grip now - if my back heals up ill try get a vid of the 150 dumbbell for reps

Edited by Paul Savage

• 2 weeks later...

Updated plate wrist curl rules

Plate wrist curl - subject to rule decisions – new event so…

We will be using a high bench (about 18-inches or so) and standard width Olympic plates (about 12-inches with a highish rim of about 1.5inches). Subject to the strength of the athletes (I’m assuming most will be capable of at least a rep with a 15-kilo plate we can use from 5-kilos on up. Using a loading pin to add weight as well as assorted discs (1.25kg, 2.5kg, 5kg) we can also micro-load using spring clip type Olympic collars (about 250g or so).

How do we decide what beats what?

Due to the nature of the larger diameter plates being of a higher order of difficulty and without the event becoming over technical (unless rule changes occur in the future) the next biggest plate beats the ones weighing less regardless of how much additional weight has been added. Thus: 20 beats 15, 15 beats 10 and so on downwards.

Range of movement

The lift does NOT require full range flexation but and with safe lifting in mind the starting point will be 10 or so degrees off of vertical (so as to allow control to be maintained and pot have the disc hit an athlete in the face should they chose to lean forward or to cause any injury to the thumb. The wrist should be forward enough of the leading edge of the bench that there is no additional support gained but it does not need to be too far forward either.

The action of the lift

The thumb is hooked over the rim of the plate with the fingers and most of the palm on the smooth underside. The plate is then lowered under control in a wrist curl type action with the edge furthest away from the athlete being required to go to at least a horizontal or parallel position as judged by a referee or referees. If only one is available they will sit at the side. If more than one referee and or video is available this can be used. The max used would be three refs (one on either side and one in front (see additional notes)). The refs decision is final and I refer you to BHSA terms and conditions as agreed (ie: do not argue with a ref but use official channels and or follow official rules).

The forearm is to remain, as best as is possible, in contact with the surface of the bench. There will be no, for example, raising of the arm while keeping the wrist locked so as to lower the plate. The idea is a test of wrist strength.

Please note that this does not necessarily require the elbow to stay in contact, no strapping down of the forearm nor the athlete to sit ‘square on’. Indeed we are happy to allow the athlete some leeway with leaning off to the side to make depth as this allows for rotation without injury to do any inflexibility of the wrist. Locking of the legs against the seat frame (a la arm wrestling) is also allowed.

The athlete will lower on the command ‘down’ and back up under control once given the signal ‘up’. Once the ref states good lift they can either drop it, use a free hand to lift it, have a spotter remove it etc. The setting up in position allows for the use of the free hand to hold it up right but this mist be removed prior to the signal ‘down’. If there is a failure (lifter losing control/bombing) it is recommended that they simply allow the whole set up to drop to the floor.

No wrist straps or wrapping of any kind other than plasters for injuries (as per other events) are allowed.

By its nature this is a new lift and as so there might well be teething problems. I am replying on the athletes to stay within the test of wrist strength over any technical rule bending. A run through will be made on the day.

Any questions (ONLY BY THOSE COMPETEING PLEASE) pre event are welcomed

Please note the following required amendment to the Baby Inch event rules (BHSA rules have also been changed):

One Hand Baby Inch Dumbbell (53kgs) Hold (Maximum Time)

These are purchased from heavygriptools here. The lifter will straddle the dumbbell . Hook gripping is not permitted. A normal or thumbless grip is allowed. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg or resting on a bench or upright. The dumbbell must be raised to a point where both ends of the dumbbell are pulled clear of the floor and allow a clear view for the referee. The dumbbell should not touch the legs, and the dumbbell should be kept roughly parallel - the referee will give a warning if it is tilting too much.

Hook gripping is not permitted.

HA HA - I'd be happy to even get my thumb and middle finger to touch when gripping an inch! I guess this rule applies solely to Mark Felix, should he ever decide to compete in a BHSA contest.

Please note the following required amendment to the Baby Inch event rules (BHSA rules have also been changed):

One Hand Baby Inch Dumbbell (53kgs) Hold (Maximum Time)

These are purchased from heavygriptools here. The lifter will straddle the dumbbell . Hook gripping is not permitted. A normal or thumbless grip is allowed. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg or resting on a bench or upright. The dumbbell must be raised to a point where both ends of the dumbbell are pulled clear of the floor and allow a clear view for the referee. The dumbbell should not touch the legs, and the dumbbell should be kept roughly parallel - the referee will give a warning if it is tilting too much.

Got a vid of this? Cos Fred's been training suitcase style and I've been advising as such, if I can see a demo of the straddle I may be able to give him some tips.

Youtube my name and Baby Inch - it's from the BHSA thing in November.

Youtube my name and Baby Inch - it's from the BHSA thing in November.

actually, according to the rules you was not doing it right, not because of where it was held but due to tilt, you were clearly tilting it for most of the time held

I've clearly updated the rules in this thread and you'll note that the rules allow for straddle style. And twig asked for a video of that - my video shows the straddle style. Twig makes no mention of tilting or needing to see a video of a non-tilted dumbbell.

There was no mention in the old rules of a reasonable level required for tilt or lack thereof. In fact, as you are well aware as we had a conversation about it and you pointed it out, the issue was that the old rules incorrectly required the athlete to have the dumbbell above the knees at all times (that would have come from the rules for one hand deadlifts and as the baby inch is a test of grip endurance and not back strength it was amended - as per your suggestion). The tilting suggestion came from David and I agreed.

In future read posts and questions fully before posting helpful comments.

Edited by mobsterone

Calm down steve your getting all excited were all susposed to be friends here.

Rico

Rico

Rivalry amongst competitors!! Hypes it up a little bit more! All part of the game he he...

sam

dont get into it with steve, cos im not breaking it up, i only got one neck an youns will be fightin who gets to choke me. ;)

rico

Rico

That was the calm version. ;)

sam

dont get into it with steve

rico

I will, but not yet. I'm waiting til Saturday morning.

I'm not listening,,,,, la la la,,, can't hear you... la la :D

You won't need to - the lifts will do the talking! :cool

i rang my mother up yesterday an told her i won

I'm not listening,,,,, la la la,,, can't hear you... la la :D

You won't need to - the lifts will do the talking! :cool

The LIFTS will to the talking?

I hadn't realised you'd never met Steve! His rep leads me to believe he is somewhat garrulous at comps; That would be loquacious, verbose, effusive. How about chatty? :laugh

i rang my mother up yesterday an told her i won

She'll be very disappointed. What has she said before about telling tall stories... :dry

Sam check your emails - pinch width pls!!

Edited by mobsterone