Bhsa Grip Championships 2009

mobsterone

Just added to the British comp info on other sites. For discussion/improvement as need be:

Plate wrist curl

Purpose of lift: demonstration and test of wrist strength.

Scoring: heaviest plate wrist curled wins. Where the same diameter plate is used then the addition of weight in 1.25-kilo increments decides the winner. A 15 beats a 10 and a 20 beats a 15 regardless of weight added (even above 20-kilos using a 15+5 additional weights. This is because the order of strength required to wrist curl a larger plate is higher than adding even as much as 7.5-kilos over the loaded plate (15+7.5-kilos for example being more than 20) due to the load being further away from the hand.

Plates used: starting weight 10-kilos, then 15-kilos then 20-kilos

Weight will be added to the plate using a light weight loading pin separated, if required, by a flatter version of an Olympic collar to allow the thumb to get a grip.

Execution:

The wrist will rest on the edge of a bench. The starting position has the plate in the up position (at about the ’11 o’clock’ position or just short of vertical – more risks the plate falling forward). A referee will signal ‘down’ and the plate must be lowered to the ‘9 o’clock’ position or horizontal. At this point the referee will call ‘up’ and the plate must be curled back up using only the wrist.

The competitor MAY lean forward and, if so required slightly to the side of the hand being tested (so as to have the plate curl up and down and not off to the side due to inflexibility of the wrist). The plate CAN go below the horizontal position before being curled back up if the competitor feels comfortable doing so but they may not drop and bounce it back up using momentum. It must be seen to be under control at all times.

When the plate as is close to the 11 o’clock position as possible the ref will call ‘Good lift’. The ref will spot from a side on position the better to see clearly the uppermost and lower portions of the lift. If the lifter loses control of the plate they can drop it forward or, if one is provided, get a spotter to take the plate by saying ‘take it’ or some pre-agreed clear signal (‘help me!!’ for example)..

The plate is to be curled with the flange uppermost. Fingers will be on the smooth underside and thumb over the flange. The same plate will be used by all the competitors (dimensions to follow)

If the competitors have any questions regarding this event they can ask before and on the day PRIOR to the events commencement (no debating of the rules half way through)

Both hands are tested. A ‘rising bar’ will be used. 4 attempts are allowed. It is advised that the wrist are well warmed up before hand. Wrist wraps etc are not allowed. Chalk is allowed.

Strongman scoring system will be used as usual.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Paul Savage

• rico300zx

Looks good Steve, well worded.

The only thing I might suggest is putting something about the elbow (ie. remaining in contact with the bench or whatever the rule is) but you may have that covered in "curled back up using only the wrist".

Out of interest, will the bench be padded or solid?

• 2 weeks later...

Replied. As always Big Al is very supportive and I'll thank Al publicly now.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. I'll be updating later today as I want to remind all of the deadline.

Before I forget:

Entry fee £15.00 (if we only get a few I'll make it a tenner. If we get enough I'll buy some shirts as before).

Closing date for entries APRIL 23RD!!! Ask after this date and you will not be competing.

Events as before. Scoring as before (strongman system).

On a different matter. I am awaiting delivery of the perpetual trophy.

Confirmed competitors:

Steve Gardener

Stew Killick

Maybe's (cos I've not had an entry fee):

Paul Savage

Sam Solimi

Sponsors:

WWW.PERTHSTRONGMAN.COM

Mob, i'll paypal you £55 later this week - the usual £40 for some whey and £15 for my entry fee.

Cheers Sam. Send the whey money to the usual and the fee money to steve@musclemob.co.uk

Cheers Sam. Send the whey money to the usual and the fee money to steve@musclemob.co.uk

Yep will do mate!

Confirmed competitors:

Steve Gardener

Stew Killick

Paul Savage

Sam Solimi

Sponsors:

WWW.PERTHSTRONGMAN.COM

Updated.

Confirmed competitors:

Steve Gardener

Stew Killick

Paul Savage

Fred Coombs

Sam Solimi

Sponsors:

WWW.PERTHSTRONGMAN.COM

Please, weak people of the UK, compete or I will be a very small mouse in a room of big cats...

Indeed :D

Prizes so far.

1st place gold effect medal and ribbon, engraved. £75.00 cash/cheque

2nd place silver effect medal and ribbon, engraved. £50.00 cash/cheque

3rd place bronze effect medal and ribbon, engraved. £25.00 cash/cheque

Plus the winner has their name added to our perpetual award.

Edited by mobsterone

It seemed like a good idea. I've contacted some more potential sponsors and will put together a 30-second promotional video soon. Plus, as per my begging email, some clips might get used on the documentary.

Please, weak people of the UK, compete or I will be a very small mouse in a room of big cats...

No way Fred, you're a tiger, roar! :rock

Sorry I won't be able to make it this time so can't help you out there, you'll have to work on Twig ;)

Sweet prizes.

fred think more positive and along the lines of 'I is a BEAST' and you will do a lot better. We all know you are capable of giving a good show of yourself this year.

Confirmed competitors:

Steve Gardener

Stew Killick

Paul Savage

Fred Coombs

Sam Solimi

Sponsors:

www.perthstrongman.com

www.londonkettlebells.com

Edited by mobsterone

Steve the Bear

Sam the House

Paul the Savage/Viper

Sam the House

Stew the House (with extensions)

Fred the Beast

Twig the Wonderkid (if he gets the balls to compete)