Bhsa Grip Championships 2009

mobsterone

BHSA Grip Championships 2009 events

1) Vulcan Gripper - 20mm block set

2) 2HP - adjustable pinch

3) plate wrist curl - subject to rule decisions

4) One hand deadlift with hook grip

5) Baby Inch for time

Dates, info and fees etc to follow. Now you train. Be warned, I'm taking no prisoners. :rock

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• Paul Savage

• rico300zx

• 2 weeks later...

In for this one. Regretting selling my vulcan now, i know what i'm gonna be buying when i get paid this month... :whistel

I think the rules for the ordinary wrist curl here on the GB should be used. I have made a few alterations for a plate being used instead of a bar.

From http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=5294

2. The lifter may start the lift at any position throughout his/her ROM but must dip below parallel and then lift the plate to full lockout. Once full lockout is achieved the referee gives a down signal. Not getting a full lockout or any downward movement before the down signal is a cause for failure.

3. Forearms should remain level throughout the lift.

4. Forearms may be placed over knees or over a pad/bench.

5. If forearms are placed over knees than feet must stay flat on floor.

There was a Grip Decathlon in March of 2005 in Southern California that had a plate wrist curl. There were 25, 35, and 45 pound plates used, and then a bar through the hole with collars and sometimes small plates for in between weights. The lifter stood with his back to the wall, so you were not allowed to swing the body or touch the wall. You were not supposed to swing the arm, but a little was allowed. That could be enforced by the judge. Dan Harrison (the former Meat Loaf) won with a 45 pound plate. I think the weights basically went 25/27.5/30/32.5 ect. It worked. No one complained.

Hub old bean... that's a description of a plate curl not plate wrist curl (contested some time back and for which records exist). I've put a video on Youtube and there's one by Arne which seems to be the way forward and as described by Sam/CoC 3

Hub old bean... that's a description of a plate curl not plate wrist curl (contested some time back and for which records exist). I've put a video on Youtube and there's one by Arne which seems to be the way forward and as described by Sam/CoC 3

Hmmm. You did say plate wrist curl, didn't you? That's different. Never mind.

• 3 weeks later...

These events are very enticing to me :)

Any idea what month the comp will be in? I hope to be in the contest, but will be in Russian May/June

Any idea what month the comp will be in? I hope to be in the contest, but will be in Russian May/June

Traditionally this contest takes place in May. :) It'd be good to see you competing Pete.

sounds very cool!

Mob - how long have you been able to hold the baby inch in training? and do you suppose that there will be some who can't even lift it? if so d oyou have an alternate device?

Hi Paul, I hold the current record with a 1 min 5 seconds I think (too lazy to check ha ha). In training yesterday I was doing 40-seconds or so per set. The previous record being 35 seconds. Loz here does 40 or so as well.

As the Baby Inch weighs 53-kilos it should be liftable by most and can be trained for even if only by plate loading one end of an Olympic bar which is then lifted and held for time.

I usually do it after pinch and trust me, after pinch it's brutal. I think high numbers will be hard after the rest of the competition.

May 23rd.

May 23rd.

Ah well, good luck to everyone that goes, I will have to train towards 2010 :rock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump for those on the cusp who haven't put your names down. Don't leave it to the last minute and don't wait for the cut off date (as many do). Get yer names down and show you intent!!

Oh.. forgot.

I've had a helpful BHSA member offer to pay towards a nice trophy of a kind which could be handed over at the end of the year to the next winner. The winners names would be added to the trophy or plinth.

The problem I have is I haven't seen any I like or I think are suitable. If someone has some ideas or seen a good one... get in touch!

That's an idea but first I need a suggestion as to the actual trophy.

For a perpetual trophy you usually have two options, a sheild type or a large 'sitting on shelf' type that can obviously accomodate many small plaques. Next you have material, glass, dark or,light wood, stone etc.... You could have a sheild with the BHSA logo in the middle with the smaller plaques arranged around the outside. Whatever decided it has to incorperate the idea of 'british'and something that incorperates the idea of handstrength. When I was looking for a perpetual they were quite limited with what I could place on it in regards to figures like hands, fists etc..im sure England will be more fruitful.

Maybe not alot of help to you steve but it may help light a few ideas from others.

What if someones old lady gets pissed and kicks em out of the house and tosses the trophy along with all his stuff? How about a virtual trophy online or something that a name is added to then kept at a safe place. Just an idea? Plus how can gaurentee someone would be honest and give an expensive item back the following year? Then what do they have to show their grandchildren some day? Does any one have any thoughts about what I'm talking about?

Rico

The trophy ideas you suggest Rico were discussed yesterday so there might be some terms and conditions - ie: it'll be kept in a safe place etc etc.

oops i guess i missed that part, day late dollar short !

Dave and I had a chat yesterday and it was a case of:

1) Big ass silver plate

2) Presented to the winner but kept by the BHSA (back in it's box and then locked away for 12 months)

3) Engraved with all previous winners (so starting back with IAWA, Iron Grip and now BHSA winners).

4) Not a shield. Those wooden ones have the little metal bits clued or pinned and after a while they fall off and it looks tacky.

Something like a Silver Salver (basically a tray that never gets used, is quite ornate, large and can be engraved).