blueviper42

Feb 16,2009

Neutral Grip Chins 1 x 10 Deadhang, 8 second hold

Neutral Grip Chins + 35 lbs 2 x 5, 5 second hold end each set

Neutral Grip Chins + 25 lbs 1 x 8, 5 second hold

Dips 1 x 30

Dips + 35 lbs 2 x 14

Wrist Curls 50 lbs 4 x 15,15,14,14

Preacherpad Isos Forearm parallel to floor 70 lbs RH 2 x 20, 18 seconds LH 2 x 18,16 seconds

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blueviper42

• mightyjoe

• Paul Knight

• Ivarboneless

I've been incredibly busy with schoolwork. Physics, Calculus, Chemistry, Physics laborator, and Philosophy all in one semester. Did poorly on first physics test, and have been studying a lot to make up for it. Pretty much have no time to do anything but study, trying to go to the gym when I can.

• 3 weeks later...

RH

#2 MMS 8,5,5

#1.5 MMS 15,10,10

Trainer x 40 reps

#1.5 x several random closes

LH

#2 Negatives x 2

#1.5 MMS x 4,4,4 (forced a couple)

#1 MMS x 10

Trainer x 40 reps

#1.5 x several random closes

Not bad.

Neutral Grip Chins Partials 1 x 20

Neutral Grip Chins (almost dead hang) 1 x 10

Dips 2 x 25

Wrist Curls 55 lbs :

RH x 10,10

LH x 9,8

Toproll Pulls 60 lbs 2 x 10 each hand

Preacher Pad Partials 65 lbs 1 x 8 each hand

Preacher Pad Isos (forearm parallel to ground) 2 x 8-10 seconds

Thick Spinning PVC chin holds:

1 x 20 seconds

1 x 12-15 seconds (Let myself down then pulled back up for a few seconds)

Felt a bit weaker on the preacher pad, wrists might have been slightly weaker but about the same. Felt good on the chins. Got to get back to training more consistently, hopefully at least 3 times per week. This summer I will be able to train hard for several tournaments. Spring break next week, woohoo!

• 3 weeks later...

You should have a week where you go for 7 x 1 of your heaviest attempt for chins, just to see where youre at.

I like this topic, keep up the good work, i might even put up one of my own...

• 1 month later...

Just now read this. Do you mean 7 sets of 1 rep or 1 set of 7 reps with heaviest weight? I've done something similar before where I've increased the weight to find my max for one rep. I'm back to training hard now and hopefully I can keep it up until a tournament I want to go to in August. There's one in Oklahoma I may go to.

• 5 weeks later...

Well here we are. I have been training pretty hard and I am feeling ready for my tournaments this summer. I started back training hard again the end of may, and it took a couple weeks to get back into the swing of things. The first couple of weeks I worked lots of volume practically every day. I was doing 100 chins a day for a week or so (that's a lot of reps for me in a day). I had to kickstart my body back into gear to show it what was expected. I've been training hard and I feel stronger than ever. I don't really feel like updating every workout, but rest assured I have been going hard. I'll probably update every now and then, and for sure post my tournament results. I hope I can bring back a medal :D

Man my training partner is getting pretty stout. He's a really strong guy, a power lifter. Weighs 210 or so, squats over 500, benches 260, and is only 16. He's been working his biceps lately with hammer curls and concentration curls. Armwrestling wise, I still have him by a long distance, but he is getting way stronger. He doesn't train for armwrestling and really only armwrestles to help me. Left hand he was giving me a bit of a fit, haha.

Had a pretty good pulling practice today. I went fairly light, except for a couple times I went against his two hands with my right. Got a win in that which made me happy. My toproll feels pretty strong, I can drag back with my lats and rotate through the wrist pretty well. When I go against an actual armwrestler though it will be much harder. Still, felt strong today. My right especially. I'm going to train Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and then rest until next Saturday. Should be peaking for Oklahoma States.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I went to Oklahoma States on Saturday. In a way it was motivating and also disappointing. Some stupid mistakes cost me a couple of matches that I should have won. It seems I was struck with the curse of being stronger afterwards on the practice table than when it counts in the tournament. So anyway, here's a short little summary.

First match was with some pretty stout looking guy. At the time I wasn't paying attention to him, but afterwards he did look pretty buff. On the go I got in a toproll but got called with an elbow foul, went again and toprolled to the pad. First win. Almost immediately after the match I talked to the guy some and showed him what I did (DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL AFTERWARD THE TOURNAMENT, haha).

Second match was with a guy I had pulled before and won fairly easily. Although based on who he trains with, I'm sure he will get better soon.

Third match right handed I hit with a toproll, got stopped, hooked in, and got pinned. If I had started off in a hook I would have had a better chance, because I was out of position to hook when I was going for a toproll. I think I could have pulled him past center and rotated through him some. Anyway, first loss.

Fourth match right hand was the guy that I beat first and showed him what I did. BIG MISTAKE because he was able to beat me this time through by gripping higher. I was beating him afterwards on the practice table without trouble.

Left hand match one I also think I could have won. We both toprolled, at one point I had him slightly past center, he pulled me over and I tried to go into a HOOK when I was over on HIS SIDE. HUGE MISTAKE. He pulled me over easily after that.

Second match left hand we both went for toproll, I had hand control and had him over on my side, we slipped and were strapped. Without hand control in straps I got pulled over. I was also beating him afterwards left handed, although it wasn't easy.

That's a basic summary, I need to learn from my mistakes, train harder in a hook, and not make more stupid mistakes. I should have had at least second place right hand, but got third. Left I should have had at least third but got fourth (of four, haha). First place at the next tournament is my goal for right hand.

Edited by thewalrus

• 4 weeks later...

Today I managed a huge personal goal of mine. I can now do a one arm chin hold at 90 degrees with my right arm. Left still has a little ways to go. I could hold it for a decent amount of time too, probably about 7 seconds at 90 degrees. I've been wanting to be able to do this for a long time now. I'll have a one armed chin right hand by the end of 2009! :rock Just several months ago I felt I was so far away from doing this, it's amazing to finally achieve a goal I've had since I started working out a year ago.

Today I managed a huge personal goal of mine. I can now do a one arm chin hold at 90 degrees with my right arm. Left still has a little ways to go. I could hold it for a decent amount of time too, probably about 7 seconds at 90 degrees. I've been wanting to be able to do this for a long time now. I'll have a one armed chin right hand by the end of 2009! :rock Just several months ago I felt I was so far away from doing this, it's amazing to finally achieve a goal I've had since I started working out a year ago.

Congrats dude!

Supplement your holds with lightly weighted negatives. You'll get that chin in no time.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Europa Super Show tournament on August 15'th. I was pretty prepared for this one and had learned quite a bit from the mistakes of my last tournament. Strength wise, probably the strongest I have ever been. My right hand is feeling really strong lately, my arm is also feeling really strong. I knew going into this tournament that it would probably be my last tournament pulling novice, and I was right. In fact, I should have entered amateur. I think I could have placed second amateur, maybe first depending on a certain person being in that class.

Entered 176 novice left and right, there weren't many people in that class (novice 198 had quite a few, should have pulled that one). There was only one guy that actually was any sort of competition and even he wasn't really hard to handle. Although initially he beat me left handed our first match due to some more technical errors, I came back and won 2 times against him in the finals without much trouble. That was my only loss of the tournament. Even though it was a really easy class I got a little bit of satisfaction of placing first and mentally being ready to move on to amateur. Ivarboneless was not so lucky and had an incredibly stacked class.

Pretty much the only memorable match was my first left hand match, was very long with several restarts and eventually went to the straps. Had him down to fractions of an inch above the pad (in fact, I think his hand broke the plane of the pad at one point, a pin was not called though), he eventually pulled me back up over and pinned me. When I pulled him in the finals right hand, I let him hit and sucked him into a hook (he generally toprolls), looked at him while holding him for a few seconds, then hit to the pad. We both got elbow fouls called on that, and I hit from the go on the restart and won easily.

I got to pull Corey Miller and John Brzenk in the overalls which was pretty cool. When I stepped up to the table with Corey I said "Dude, don't hurt me" and he chuckled a bit and I was just like "No seriously, don't hurt me." :tongue It's a bit ironic because I actually ended up straining a wrist tendon pulling him. At first I thought I might have fractured something, so I went to get it x-rayed a few days later. It is feeling better now though, so I am sure it was just from straining a tendon. I was able to train today, but didn't do any heavy wrist work with that wrist.

Pretty good tournament, maybe next year I can win amateur 176 and get to pro after that.

Edited by thewalrus

My wrist is pretty much back to normal now. I can do my regular training including the heavy wrist curls with both arms. I move in to my new apartment in Austin on Monday. I'm going to buy a doorway chinup bar for my room and am taking my armwrestling table. Hopefully school doesn't get in the way too much so I can stay consistent with training :rock I want to be competitive in a pro 165 class within 2 years. I think that is do-able.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to try to start updating this log again.

Thursday 10-29-09

Neutral Grip Chins + 50 lbs 3x6

Neutral Grip Chin Holds + 50 lbs 3x10 seconds

Dips + 50 lbs 3x15

Dumbbell Rows 80 lbs 3x10

Dumbbell Wrist Curls 70 lbs 3x10

Preacherpad Dumbbell Partials 70 lbs 3x8

Weight this morning (10-31-09): 162.4 lbs. I don't think I've been consistently eating enough lately. I need to get a few more pounds back.

Going to Shreveport a week from today for a tournament. It will be my first open class.

Edited by thewalrus

10-31-09 (Yes I trained Halloween evening :rock )

I went fairly light because I have a tournament in a week.

Neutral Grip Chins + 35 lbs 3x8

Neutral Grip Chin holds +35 lbs 3x10 seconds

Dips + 35 lbs 3x15

RT Cable Wrist Curls 110 lbs 3x15

RT Backpressure Cable Hold 150 lbs 3x15 seconds

RT Side Pressure/Wrist Curl 90 lbs 3x20

DB Wrist Curl 70 lbs 3x10

DB Row 80 lbs 3x10

Preacherpad Partials 70 lbs 3x8

Situps x150

Edited by thewalrus

• 2 months later...

Goals for 2010:

1 Arm Chin

Place in the money in pro event

Wrist Curl 100 pounds

Weighted Dip + 120 pounds

Weighted Chin + 120 pounds

Squat body weight x 20

Dragonflag

Situps 2 x 200

• 4 weeks later...

2-15-10

weight: 158.6

L-ups - 3x60

Hanging Leg Tucks - 3x30

Situps 2x100

Squats-

5x135 warmup

5x145

5x150

5x155

5x160

5x165

Hands- gripper closes

This was my second time doing a gripper workout in probably close to a year. I shut my #2 for the first time ever with my left hand!! I am stronger on the grippers now than when I was training on them. Going to start doing grippers once a week.

core:

L-ups 3x60

Hanging leg tucks 3x30

situps 3x100

bench press:

5x135

5x140

5x145

5x150

5x155

overhead press:

5x95

5x100

5x105

5x110

5x115

chinups:

+40x5

+45x5

+50x5

+55x5

+60x5

bw x20

rotator training on cable:

50 lbs x15

60 lbs x12

70 lbs x10

80 lbs x8

db wrist curls:

50 lbs x50

Oh yeah, new milestone was accomplished today. Wait for it....

:rockFIRST ONE ARM CHINUP :rock

It was slow and jerky and hella ugly but damnit I pulled my chin past the bar from a 90 degree angle with one arm. My new chinup training style and heavy dumbbell rows are going to give me a solid one armer in a few months I believe.

Oh yeah, new milestone was accomplished today. Wait for it....

:rockFIRST ONE ARM CHINUP :rock

It was slow and jerky and hella ugly but damnit I pulled my chin past the bar from a 90 degree angle with one arm. My new chinup training style and heavy dumbbell rows are going to give me a solid one armer in a few months I believe.

Congratulations!

Thanks climber, I appreciate it.

2-22-10

L-ups 3x60

hanging leg tucks 3x30

situps 2x100

squats:

10x135 warmup

5x150

5x155

5x160

5x170

5x175

I want to hit 5x200 in a few weeks, I think I can. I should have started squatting a long time ago. I used to hate doing leg work. I really love doing squats now. I look forward to them every time.

Edited by thewalrus

• 2 weeks later...

Squatted 225 for a single today. I'm going to do the Smolov cycle with that as my max to calculate my numbers. This looks incredibly hard. I've heard most people don't even finish it. I intend on being someone who does finish it. As far as I'm concerned, puking in a workout is a badge of honor that is earned! :rock

I think I'll just update my squat training and leave out my armwrestling training on here for the most part.

Today was my first Smolov day. It called for 4 sets of 9 with 70% of my max. My legs were very tired by the end from the high reps. Next Monday calls for the same scheme except adding an additional 20 pounds , and another 20 the week after :whacked I don't think this was formulated for someone with a low starting squat. Adding 20 pounds to a set if your max is 400 isn't that big of a deal, adding 20 pounds to a set when your max is 225 is much more significant. Nevertheless, I will grit through it and try to pound it out. I might have to scale it back 10 pounds though.

Today the 70% actually turned out to be 158 pounds, I used 155 instead. In the case of it not ending in 0 or 5 I will round down.

L-ups 3x70

hanging leg tucks 3x35

situps 2x100

squat:

6x135 warmup

4x9x155

First couple sets weren't too bad, third was getting hard, last one was a bit difficult. I had it under control though, it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Keep in mind I've only been squatting a couple months and I weigh 158 pounds. Also, I do my squats nice and deep significantly past parallel. I see a lot of guys in the gym stop significantly ABOVE parallel and I am less than impressed, even if they're squatting a lot more than me.

The rest of this week doesn't look too bad, the next 2 weeks could be hell though.

Was pressed for time and didn't get to do all my core work today.

situps 1x125

squats:

1x7x135 warmup

5x7x170

5 sets of 7 with 169 was the actual amount calculated, by I did 170 instead of rounding down to 165. I wasn't very well warmed up because of lack of core training beforehand. It was pretty tough but manageable.