The Walrus's Strength Training

blueviper42

Had last day of training before Thanksgiving break today.

Neutral Grip Chins +25 lbs 4x10. 5-6 second hold end of each set

Dips +35 lbs 4x20

50 lb wrist curls 15/12/12/10

50 lb top roll pull 3x20/15

Neutral Grip Chin holds with thick rotating PVC 3x15/12 seconds

Getting stronger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blueviper42

• mightyjoe

• Paul Knight

• Ivarboneless

Haven't updated since before Thanksgiving. I got one GREAT armwrestling session in over the break. Ironically, it started at about 1:30 AM and didn't end until past 3 AM. My toproll has gotten very strong, I'm now stronger in a toproll than inside in the hook. I've been doing my regular training, just haven't posted it.

Tonight:

Neutral Grip 90 degree hold negative x 2 each hand. Used my nylon strap to do a slightly offset one holding slightly with opposite hand. I'm getting very close to a 90 degree one arm hold. I think adding in weighted chins will help this.

Neutral Grip Chins 4x15 several second hold end of each set

Dips 4x30

Wrist Curls 50 lbs 6x15/12/10/9 (depending what hand what set)

Top Roll Pulls 50 lbs 4x15

Adding in the toproll pulls really hits the forarm which makes it harder to do more grip and wrist work. Didn't add in any thick handle chin holds due to this. Once I get more acclimated to it I will add them back in on these days. Toproll is getting strong. I'm going to start shooting for 3x20 on the chins and 3x40 on the dips.

Haven't updated since before Thanksgiving. I got one GREAT armwrestling session in over the break. Ironically, it started at about 1:30 AM and didn't end until past 3 AM. My toproll has gotten very strong, I'm now stronger in a toproll than inside in the hook. I've been doing my regular training, just haven't posted it.

Tonight:

Neutral Grip 90 degree hold negative x 2 each hand. Used my nylon strap to do a slightly offset one holding slightly with opposite hand. I'm getting very close to a 90 degree one arm hold. I think adding in weighted chins will help this.

Neutral Grip Chins 4x15 several second hold end of each set

Dips 4x30

Wrist Curls 50 lbs 6x15/12/10/9 (depending what hand what set)

Top Roll Pulls 50 lbs 4x15

Adding in the toproll pulls really hits the forarm which makes it harder to do more grip and wrist work. Didn't add in any thick handle chin holds due to this. Once I get more acclimated to it I will add them back in on these days. Toproll is getting strong. I'm going to start shooting for 3x20 on the chins and 3x40 on the dips.

If possible, do your weights first, then arm wrestle. Better yet, pick a day for arm wrestling only.

Reason? Because AW weakens the tendons pretty quick which leaves little support

when you start the AW. You increasing your chance of tendonitis by arm wrestling

first and then weights. The worst tendonitis I've seen is from people AW first and then

proceeding to lift weights.

Just a sugeestion. There's not many more things more painful than tendonitis.

Hope this helps buddy. :)

Mighty Joe

Thanks Joe, that is great advice. I don't usually do any weight training on the same day as my pulling. I know what you mean about tendinitis, it sets back training and is PAINFUL!

Tonight:

Warmup: 1x10 Dead hang pullups (overhand grip)

1x6 Dead hand neutral grip chin ups

Wrist Curl 50 lbs 4x10

Preacherpad Partials 70 lbs 3x8, 6-7 second hold end of each set

Precherpad Isos 70 lbs 3x 12-15 seconds

Dips 3x 30,30,40

Thick Handle Chins 1x8, about 20 second total holds

Neutral Grip Chin Hold 1x15 seconds

Edited by thewalrus

Tonight:

Chins 2x15 (overhand, neutral) several second hold end of each set

Dips 2x40

Wrist Curls 50 lbs 1x10, 60 lbs 1x6

Toproll pulls 50 lbs 2x15

Preacherpad partials 60 lbs 1x8, 8 second hold end of set

The gym closed early for some reason so I only did 2 sets.

Tonight:

Chins 2x15 (overhand, neutral) several second hold end of each set

Dips 2x40

Wrist Curls 50 lbs 1x10, 60 lbs 1x6

Toproll pulls 50 lbs 2x15

Preacherpad partials 60 lbs 1x8, 8 second hold end of set

The gym closed early for some reason so I only did 2 sets.

David, how are you doing your toproll pulls?

Just curious.

Mighty Joe

Edited by Mighty Joe

Ah yes, the toproll pulls. I was going to get around to explaining that. Basically, on the NE AW board I saw a clip of a guy practicing with the Ottawa High Hookers for Worlds. On the pulley machines in a gym where people do tricep work with the ropes with the stops at the end, you basically grab one end at the stopper using the bottom pulley system and pull like doing a toproll. It is rather hard to picture, I'll give a link to the video.

http://www.inthehook.com/nicola_worlds_training.wmv

1:38 at that video is what I am doing. It may not be exactly a "toproll pull", but it was the best way I could describe it.

Edited by thewalrus

Didn't have a lifting partner to spot me so I went a little lighter than usual

Bench Press Warmup 1x6, Worksets 3x5

Squat Warmup 1x6, Worksets 3x5

Overhead Press 3x5

Lat Pulldown 3x12,10,10

Wrist Curls 30 lbs x 50

Top Roll Pulls 50 lbs 1x12

Wow, had a really great day on the dips. Set a new PR!

Dips:

+60 pounds x 12

+80 pounds x 6,5. Set of 5 followed immediately by set of 30 bodyweight dips.

+45 pounds x 20

Neutral Grip Chins +35 lbs 4x7,6. 6-7 second hold end of each set

Wrist Curls 50 lbs 5x10

Toproll Pulls 50 lbs 2x15

Thick Handled Chin Holds 13 seconds, 12 seconds

Getting strong with the dips. My goal is set of 60 bodyweight dips and a double bodyweight dip. Tonight I did 150% bodyweight (I'm at 162 pounds now. I actually LOST 14 pounds my first semester of college, haha). Also have a goal of a one armed chin/one armed hold.

• 1 month later...

Well that was my last training day at school last semester. I did train over break, including armwrestling practice with ivarboneless twice. I had to take about two weeks total due to these practices, arm was always really sore after each one. I didn't train grippers for several weeks, then picked up my #2 a few days ago and managed a PR of 8 parallel reps. I had been stalled lately on the grippers. Class starts today and I have a tougher schedule than last semester, but I am going to keep my training up.

Stay strong!

Those were good practices :D

You apparently put the hurt on my training partner, he wouldn't train with me on Sunday. "Give me a week man, my arms are killing me." Keep up the good work man. 8 from parallel is pretty good!

Keep up the training, you've got potential. I hope to see you at some tournaments this year!

Had my first training session of 2009 Spring semester. Went relatively light for a couple of reasons: 1. I went to the gym a little too soon after eating, makes me a little more sluggish; and 2. The new year's resolution crowd was in full force today < < I foresee the majority of them dying off within 2 weeks. Also, I started going a little bit lower on my dips because I wasn't going quite to parallel after looking closely at my form, and it was a little harder doing my normal sets.

Neutral Grip Chins 2x15

Chinups on straight bar 1x15

Dips 2x30

Wrist Curls 50 lbs 3x10

Toproll Pulls 50 lbs 1x15

Going to start getting into deadlifts, squat, cleans (hopefully), bench, overhead press, rows, etc. soon. I'm still shooting for that one arm chin hold and one arm chin. I want a double bodyweight deadlift too.

You and your training partner were fun to train with, Michael. He has a very strong hook and good side pressure. I would say this is how me and him match up:

Hit : He has a much better hit.

Inside hook : He is stronger here, but I think when my arm is not sore I could hold him some. This is if we ease into it.

Outside toproll : I think he is also stronger in this area.

However, I think that on that one occasion where he tried a toproll, I was able to get a hook set in and my inside strength beat his outside strength. I don't think he's a toproller though, and his hook hit still beats me. Also, that time he let me hit and caught me I was able to pin him. I think if I was able to train with other people more then I would be a better match for him.

Tonight's Workout:

Still full of new year's people < < I got tired of having to fight the crowd to use whatever I needed. I can't wait for them to all fail their resolutions :D If they had to wait until new years to get their butts in gear I don't think they will last long anyway.

Neutral Grip Chins + 25 lbs 2x10

BW Straight Bar Chinups 1x15

Dips +25 lbs 2x15 (went lower and slower on these, makes volume harder)

BW Dips 1x30

Wrist Curls 50 lbs 3x10

Toproll Pulls 50 lbs 1x15

Thick spinning PVC hangs 3x not very long each, was really tired.

Deadlift 3x5. Not posting weights on this yet, it's embarrassing :D You have to start somewhere though, right?

Also, I tried to see what my one rep max on wrist curl was. I got 65 lbs with my right as well as my left, tried 70 lbs right hand and got about 3/4 of a rep. I think if I had waited a bit longer I could have gotten it. I think 80 lbs wrist curl is a good goal for now.

He does have an awesome hit. All natural, I did not teach him that. I noticed that the first time I ever pulled him. Plus, it's tricep driven which gives toprollers problems. He has awesome finishing power.

If you were sore or affected by tendinitis I think you would deffinitely have good pulls slow, inside if you were fresh. That one where you guys went slow looked pretty close to even...you'd be suprised how much difference even a little elbow pain makes.

65 is a pretty good wrist curl. I think that wrist strength will go up fast. Do lots of reps. You'll be doing 80 before spring break.

Woohoo, made a new PR today! Full range wrist curled 70 lbs with both left and right :rock Came up without much of a fight with the right, struggled with it for a few seconds left hand. I tried 75 lbs right handed, couldn't quite get a full range curl, but I got I curled it from parallel to the floor. Soon I will be able to get it full range. Felt strong.

Neutral Grip Chins +25 lbs 1x10

Straight Bar Chins +25 lbs 1x10

Neutral Grip Chins BW 1x15

Dips +25 lbs 2x15

Dips BW 1x30

Wrist Curl 50 lbs 3x10

Toproll Pulls 50 lbs 2x15

Didn't get to do deadlift tonight, got to the gym too close to closing. That 80 lb wrist curl will be mine soon :rock I still really want a one armed chin or at least a one arm chin hold, but I think I still have a significant amount of strength to gain before I am there.

Had a pretty good training day today. Grippers feel strong. I think I can close the #3 before the end of the year. I need to get my hands on one first so I can start doing holds.

Hand:

Warmed up with some pushups

TNS Trainer x 15

RH: #2 x 5,5,5. Initial set a little wider than parallel, reps done at nearly credit card width. Last rep on last set turned into a negative. Last reps held for several seconds.

#1.5 Hold in between sets

LH: #1.5 x 4,4,4. Initial set about parallel, reps from about parallel. Need to get my left hand closer to my right. My left hand is close to my right in other grip (RT, Pinch) but lags pretty far behind on grippers. I want to close my #2 soon LH.

Gym:

Neutral Grip Chin +35 lbs x 1

Neutral Grip Chin +45 lbs x 1

Neutral Grip Chin +50 lbs x 1

Neutral Grip Chin +60 lbs x 1. These were done from about 3/4 of a hang. I don't like to go to a dead hang ever, unless I am warming up. 60 lbs went up pretty clean from a 3/4 or so hang.

Neutral Grip Chin BW x 15

Neutral Grip Chin +25 lbs x 10

Dips BW 3 x 30.

Wrist Curls 50 lbs x 15,12,13. Wrists felt strong.

Toproll Pulls 50 lbs 2 x 15. I don't really know if these help that much with armwrestling, but I increased pretty steadily on these.

Preacherpad Holds forearm parallel to floor 60 lbs x 13 seconds, 13 seconds. I'm going to start doing all my isos and partials with forearm parallel to floor. This is where the weight feels the heaviest.

Grippers feel stronger than ever . I really want that #3 this year.

nice workout! do you have anything between a #2 and a #3 to train on yet? you need something asap!

No I don't :dry Do you think it would be better to get a #2.5 or BBSM or to just keep adding reps with my #2 and start doing holds/eventually negatives with a #3? And if I were to get a #2.5 or BBSM which would you recommend?

No I don't :dry Do you think it would be better to get a #2.5 or BBSM or to just keep adding reps with my #2 and start doing holds/eventually negatives with a #3? And if I were to get a #2.5 or BBSM which would you recommend?

either or - they are both really close, but I would defenitly get one of those instead of doing more reps on your #2 - it will get you close to the #3 faster with an inbetweener gripper.

I'll try to get my hands on a BBSM some time. I think I could do some negatives with it right now.

Since everyone else is doing one hand standing curls, I tried a couple for myself today. I don't ever really do full range bicep curls, but I might start doing them more. I got 50 lbs up strict RH and had a bit of a lean LH. Tried 60 lbs right hand and wasn't able to do it strict.

Standing Bicep Curls (not super strict but not a whole lot of movement) : 42.5 lbs 2 sets of 8

Neutral Grip Chins 3x15

Dips 3x30

Wrist Curls 55 lbs 4x10. When I get to 60 lbs for 4x10 I will be happy for now.

Decided to do some RT, but by the time I got around to it I was really tired and my hands were SWEATY and of course it is a no chalk gym so I wasn't able to pull much. 90 lbs x a few reps each hand. I need to do this when I am fresh with CHALK and at least get a few sets of reps with 100 lbs.

Hand:

Warmed up with some pushups

TNS Trainer about 20 each hand

RH : #2 MMS 5,5(last forced),4,4 (last forced). #1.5 NS hold for time in between one of the sets. a few #2 MMS Singles as well. A few sets of high rep Trainer closes around the end.

LH : #2 MMS Negatives x4. Was able to hold it to a few MM for the first hold or so. The rest at about 1/8". I think I will be able to MMS this within a few weeks. Also had some #1.5 closes and Trainer closes.

Gym:

Did stuff a little different tonight. Tried some fuller range two arm preacher curls. A set of 85 lbs x 10, didn't really like these very much.

Neutral Grip Chins 1x15

Straight Bar Chins 1x15. Didn't have much rest before these, were hard to do. Had to pause at rep 13 I think.

Dips 2x30

Wrist Curls 55 lbs 4x10

60 lbs preacher iso forearm parallel to floor 2 x 20 seconds each arm.

Feb. 2, 2009:

Wasn't planning on it, but ended up doing a little gripper work. Was sooooo close to having an MMS close of my #2 left handed. I wouldn't be surprised if the handles had briefly touched, I held it within a couple millimeters for several seconds. Within the month I will close my #2 with my left hand.

RH : #2 MMS 5,6,4 (might have been 5). On sets two and three the last reps were forced shut and held. Squeezed out a single or two as well.

LH : #2 MMS Negatives x 4. So close on these.

Was pretty much just messing around with the grippers and not an actual training session. It ended up practically like one though. The skin on each of my pinkies got torn off around the middle to the top part. I hate it when that happens. Needs to toughen up. I ordered a BBSM so I am going to do some holds and negs with it for a while until I can close it. I want to close it before the end of the semester. Magnus supplied me with a good gripper routine, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Feb. 3, 2009:

Finally got back to the gym. I have been busy with stuff.

Neutral Grip Chins + 45 lbs x 1, 10 second hold

Neutral Grip Chins + 55 lbs x 1, 8 second hold

Neutral Grip Chins + 60 lbs x 1, 8 second hold

Neutral Grip Chins + 35 lbs x 6, several second hold

Neutral Grip Chins BW x 15, several second hold

Dips BW 3x30

Wrist Curls 70 lbs x 2 RH, x 3 LH. I was just checking my progression.

Wrist Curls 55 lbs x 10,10,9,8. Did 4'th set after only about 45 seconds rest after 3'rd set, could have gotten all 10 with proper time.

Preacher Pad Isos Forearm parallel to ground 65 lbs x 20 seconds each hand

Preacher Pad Isos Forearm parallel to ground 70 lbs x 20 seconds right, 18 seconds left

I got a squat routine that I am going to follow finally, it looks pretty hard. Has me squatting three days a week. When I was in the gym tonight I was wearing shorts and they showed me how little my chicken legs are. I really need to strengthen my legs, I haven't done any leg training in a couple months. Even then, I was only starting to get a decent base of leg strength. I'm going to mainly squat for leg strength and do some assistance exercises. I am also going to start back on my bench, overhead press, and rows for strength.

Feb 6, 2009:

Hand:

Warmed up with 25 pushups

Trainer x 20 each hand

RH : #1.5 MMS x 4, BBSM Negatives x 3 (Held them pretty close to closed), #2 MMS x 4,4,3,4 (many of the last reps and ones before forced shut) #1.5 holds 10 seconds in between sets

LH : #1 MMS x 4, #2 Negatives x 3 (held pretty close to closed), #1.5 MMS x 4,4,3,4 (some forced and held shut)

Pretty good day on the grippers.

Gym:

Neutral Grip Chins BW x 10 Full Range

Neutral Grip Chin one arm hold attempt - used two fingers of my other arm, started taking the weight off of it, held it pretty good, took other arm completely off and managed to come down in a semi controlled manner. IE, I didn't just flat out plummet. I don't work this much for fear of tendinitis. This WILL BE MINE though by the end of the year.

Neutral Grip Chin + 60 lbs x 1 +8 second hold at end

Neutral Grip Chin + 25 lbs 2 x 8 + 8 second hold end of each set

Dips BW x 20,25,25 Slow and controlled

Wrist Curls 50 lbs x 10

Wrist Curls 55 lbs 2 x 10

Toproll Pulls 50 lbs 1 x 15

Preacherpad Iso 70 lbs forearm parallel to ground x 20 seconds each arm

Preacherpad Partials 70 lbs to forearm parallel x 6 each hand (hard at this point)

Edited by thewalrus

I finally made it back to the gym tonight which felt like my first time in forever. I've been so busy with school I haven't had a chance to do any sort of training. Finally got to tonight.

Neutral Grip Chins Deadhang warmup x 5

Neutral Grip Chins + 25 lbs 3 x 10. First set done deadhang. 8-10 second hold end of each set

Dips BW 2 x 25

Wrist Curl 75 lbs x 1 RH,LH. Barely managed these up, had to fight with it for a few seconds. Kind of sloppy.

Wrist Curls 55 lbs 3 x 10 (left hand was 9 last sets)

Toproll Pulls 50 lbs 2 x 15 RH, 2 x 15,12 LH

Preacherpad Isos forearm parallel to ground 70 lbs : RH 2 x 20 seconds, LH 2 x 18, 15 seconds

I really need to get back into a leg routine. Lower body is weak.

Feb 13, 2009

Grippers

Warmup with Trainer x 20 or so each hand

RH:

#1.5 2 x 5

BBSM Negatives x 3. Held them decently close. From an actually set and close attempt I only get it to around a half inch. This is a pretty stout gripper.

#2 2 x 5,4 (last ones forced shut)

#1.5 x 10

LH:

#1 2 x 5

#2 Negatives x 3. Held them decently close. I can get it pretty close now from a parallel attempt.

#1.5 2 x 3,3

#1 x 10

Got rushed in the end because went to do stuff with some friends.