The Walrus's Strength Training

blueviper42

Hey everyone, I've always been meaning to make a log but I never got around to it. Here it is.

So, a little background. I was in athletics in Junior High (5 years ago for reference) and did weight training. Was never serious about it at all, but still gained some strength. Did absolutely no strength training for 4 years. Come to January of this year, I started armwrestling and training for it. Grip training and arm training mostly. I have only started doing full body weight training in the past 3 weeks, so I am quite imbalanced at this point. Strengthening my legs and benchpress/shoulders is something I really need to do. As such, many of my lifts are VERY weak as I only started recently.

Additional information : 6' 0" Height , 176 Pounds, 7 3/4" Hand

Here is what I did today:

Reported as : Weight x Sets x Reps . All weight is in pounds.

Morning:

Legs/Arms

Legpress 200 x 3 x 10 (Weak I know)

Benchpress 1 x 155 (Weak)

Overhead Press 65 x 3 x 10 (VERY weak I know)

Dips 25/19/12

Lat Pulldown 125/112.5 x 3 x 10

Standing DB Curls 30 x 2 x 10

Evening :

Hands

CoC Trainer warmup set 1 x 10 each hand

Extensors Bands Warmup

CoC #2 1 x 2 right hand

CoC #1.5 1 x 1 left hand

Several more CoC #2 singles right

Several more CoC #1.5 singles left

CoC #1 reps left

CoC #1.5 reps right

Trainer 1 x 20 left

#1 1 x 20 right

More extensor work

Chin ups 15/12/12

Dips 35/30/30 (Can do a lot of these if I'm not too fatigued)

4 Chinup holds top position 12 seconds

DB Wrist Curls 50 x 2 x 6

Plate Wrist curls 20 x 2 x 5

I train for armwrestling specifically along with more general strength so a lot of my training routine is fairly specific. Today was a more general day.

As you can probably see, I'm pretty imbalanced right now. Decent for my level armwrestling strength wise (wrist, hand, chins, dips) but lacking in more overall strength. This is changing though. This was a more general strength day and on other days I throw in heavy preacherpad work including heavy isos and partial curls for armwrestling.

Mostly just having this to keep track of my progress. If you feel like reading and responding, I appreciate any input :)

Edited by thewalrus

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blueviper42

• mightyjoe

• Paul Knight

• Ivarboneless

Ended up getting caught up in homework and sleep and decided to wait until tomorrow to hit the gym again. Still managed to get in some gripper work.

Warm up :

30 extensors with bands each hand

12 trainer closes each hand

Singles :

#1.5 x 4 left hand

#2 x 5 right hand

#1.5 x 3 sets of 2 right hand

#1 x 3-4 left hand

Around 20 more closes with Trainer left

Around 20 more closes with #1 right

Got to hit the gym tomorrow

Yesterday's Workout:

Chins Neutral Grip 15/12/12

Chins Palm To Face 10

Neutral Grip Chin Holds 2 x 10 seconds

Dips 40/35/30

Preacher Pad Partials (to 90 degrees) 75 lbs x 3 x 6

Preacher Pad Isos (Rotating Hammer Grip / Regular) 75 lbs x 3 x roughly 8 seconds

DB Wrist Curls 50 lbs x 3 x 8

20 lb plate wrist curls 3 x 6

25 lb plate curls keeping wrist locked 1 x 5

Next weekend I get my sledges, rolling thunder, loading pin, and belt for backpressure training. Can really step up my training then.

David you're doing a fantastic job my friend!!!

Paul said you might be coming along with him and Brandon to

my house next Sunday. If so, there's a lot I can help you with

on your arm wrestling training and technique.

Let me know if you're coming buddy.

Stay Strong!!!

Mighty Joe :D

This morning :

Squat Warmup 1 x 6, Worksets 3 x 5 increasing poundage each set

Benchpress Warmup 1 x 8, Worksets 3 x 5 increasing poundage each set

Dips 30/20/17 Man these are hard after heavy benchpress

Overheadpress Warmup 1 x 6, Worksets 3 x 5 increasing poundage each set

Grip and more training this afternoon

I should also note that all preacherpad work such as partials and isos are done one handed. All wrist work and all preacherpad work are one hand.

I see one thing lacking if you're serious about getting stronger at arm wrestling.

Try to include some pulling once a week or every 10 days. Depends on your current

tendon strength. Your strength training looks great, but you MUST get some pulling

time in with partners or a minimum of pulling tubes. Inner tubes work and Life Line

makes some cables that are supreme.

These are just suggestions. I do know for sure your arm wrestling strength will not

increase without pulling time or something that mimicks pulling.

Good luck and stay Strong! :)

MightyJoe

Yeah, that's true and I haven't found any training partners here at school yet. I'm sure if I took the initiative I could, but I haven't gotten around to it. Although, I am planning on meeting with a guy from austin sometime whom I found on the armwrestlers near you page that Bob Brown posted. I am going to look into getting some tubes or cables to use in the meantime.

Hands:

T x 20

RH #2 x 3 last rep forced shut

LH #1.5 x 2 last rep forced shut

RH #2 x 1

LH #1.5 x 1

RH #1.5 x 3

LH #1 x 3

RH #2 x 2 forced shut

LH #1.5 x 3 forced shut

RH #1 TNS x 10

LH T TNS x 12

RH #2 Negatives x 2

LH #1.5 Negatives x 2

Just got back from the gym. Had a good day on the chins and dips

Neutral Grip Chins 20 / 15 / 15 approx 3-4 second hold at end of each set

Dips 40 / 30 / 40

Neutral Grip Chin Holds 2 x 15 seconds

Preacher Pad Partial Curls 50 lbs 1 x 15 RH 1 x 12 LH each followed immediately by set of 6 wrist curls

DB Wrist Curls 50 lbs 3 x 8 (approx)

20 lb Plate Wrist curls 3 x 6

25 lb plate curl keeping wrist locked 1 x 6

I need to take a pen and paper with me to record my reps better. I sometimes lose track of the exact amount of reps I did in a set.

Today was mostly bodyweight training with some arm lock training in the chin isos, along with wrist training and a little preacherpad thrown in. Only a couple more days til I get the rest of my training equipment. It will get interesting then :D

Edited by thewalrus

Thanks Big Nasty, this is a great place for armwrestlers!

This mornings workout:

Weight x Sets x Reps

Squat 95 x 1 x 8 , 145 x 3 x 5

Bench press 85 x 1 x 8, 135 x 3 x 5

Overhead press 85 x 3 x 5

Dips Bodyweight x 3 sets

Lat Pulldown 125 x 3 x 6 (Although I can do a lot more on these...Need to get to around 175)

More grip work this afternoon and hit the gym again for some bodyweight and wrist training.

I need to start working my core/abs more. Also have some interest in training for some gymnastic type moves such as the planche and front lever, just to be able to do them. Will help for overall strength.

Also, this weekend I am finally visiting home for my birthday. Me and my dad will be building an armwrestling table, so over Thanksgiving and Christmas break I will get a lot of good practice in. Still need to talk to the armwrestler guy from Austin.

Edited by thewalrus

Thanks Big Nasty, this is a great place for armwrestlers!

This mornings workout:

Weight x Sets x Reps

Squat 95 x 1 x 8 , 145 x 3 x 5

Bench press 85 x 1 x 8, 135 x 3 x 5

Overhead press 85 x 3 x 5

Dips Bodyweight x 3 sets

Lat Pulldown 125 x 3 x 6 (Although I can do a lot more on these...Need to get to around 175)

More grip work this afternoon and hit the gym again for some bodyweight and wrist training.

I need to start working my core/abs more. Also have some interest in training for some gymnastic type moves such as the planche and front lever, just to be able to do them. Will help for overall strength.

Also, this weekend I am finally visiting home for my birthday. Me and my dad will be building an armwrestling table, so over Thanksgiving and Christmas break I will get a lot of good practice in. Still need to talk to the armwrestler guy from Austin.

I think the guy you mention is Jarod Luvulet. I don't know if I spelled

his last name right.

I do know he's very good and STRONG.

Mighty Joe

Homework kept me out of the gym yesterday. Normally this is my off day and I train Friday, but since I am going home this weekend I decided to do it today and rest until Monday.

Hands :

Trainer x 15 closes

RH #2 x 2

RH #1.5 x 3

LH #1 x 3

LH #1.5 x 1

RH #2 X 1

RH #2 X 1 Negative

LH #1.5 x 1 Negative

RH #2 x 1 Negative

LH #1.5 x 1 Negative

RH #1.5 x 4

LH T x 15

RH #1 x 10

Wasn't really feeling it with the grippers tonight so I left it at that.

Gym :

Neutral Grip Chins : 17 / 15 / 15 3-4 second hold end of each set Short term goal I am shooting for is 3 sets of 20. Ivar advised me to do high rep chins to practice for one armed lockout.

Dips : 40 / 35 / 35 Last reps in each set barely squeezed out

Neutral Grip Chin Holds : 2 x 15 seconds

20 lb plate wrist curl : 4 x 6

50 lb DB wrist curl : 4 x 8 Last sets had about 6-7 reps

60 lb DB wrist curl : 1 x 3/4 Wrists were really tired when I tried these

25 lb plate curls keeping wrist locked : 1 x 6, 1 x 3/4 Did them again after some other work

75 lb DB preacher partial curls : 2 x 6 approx 4-5 second hold end of each set

75 lb DB preacher iso hold rotating hammer/regular grip : 2 x approx 10 seconds

My arms feel almost dead. Doesn't look like as much when typed :blush

Edited by thewalrus

This morning's workout:

Squat 1 x warmup set, 3 x 5 increasing poundage

Bench press 1 x warmup set, 3 x 5 workset

Overhead Press 3 x 5 increasing poundage

Dips 3 sets

Standing Bicep curls 3 x 10

Hopefully get to do some grip, wrist, and bodyweight work later. Brought in my rolling thunder, loading pin, nylon straps, and sledge from home. Hopefully going to try my rolling thunder later. I plan on doing Rolling Thunder / Thick handled chins on monday and wednesday for grip and then grippers on tuesday and friday. Going to throw in some sledge work twice a week. Still going to train wrists 4 days a week.

Just got back from the gym. Mostly was experimenting with my rolling thunder and nylon straps. I do backpressure training like Devon larrat shows on in the hook, except he says a towel and I use nylon straps. They are tested to 3,300 pounds so I think that is a little more safe than a towel :D . My university gym is a no-chalk gym so rolling thunder lifts were pretty hard because my hand got sweaty fairly quick. Also, after the heavy backpressure training, I feel as if I am getting the onset of tendinitis again. Last Thursday, I began to feel it creep in a little and then I pulled a couple times with my dad on Sunday and felt it some more. I'm still feeling it in my elbow a little so I will probably back off of heavy preacherpad work and backpressure work for a bit. Still going to work wrists and bodyweight I think.

Tonight's Training:

Several pulls with my rolling thunder, various weights, couldn't do much due to hands getting sweaty. Rolling thunder is harder than I thought. I think I pulled 100 lb marginally but was inhibited by sweat.

Did a few standing RT wrist curls

Messed around for a good while doing some heavy backpressure lifts with my loading pin and straps. Kept my elbow locked at my side and lifted with my legs while keeping elbow locked. These are pretty hard with heavier weight. Also did some partial lifts with these. Keeping arm by my side and pulling up with my forearm. Not a very good description, I'll take a picture some time.

Chins 15 / 15

Chin Holds 1 x 15 seconds

Wrist Curls 50 lbs x 2 x 8

Preacher pad partials 50 x 1 x 10. I didn't due heavy preacher pad work due to the backpressure training. I was also feeling a bit discomfort in my right elbow.

I'm thinking I may need to lay off some heavier stuff for a bit so my elbow doesn't get too bad. Any tips on what training I should/shouldn't do to keep my elbow from getting worse?

Just got back from the gym. Mostly was experimenting with my rolling thunder and nylon straps. I do backpressure training like Devon larrat shows on in the hook, except he says a towel and I use nylon straps. They are tested to 3,300 pounds so I think that is a little more safe than a towel :D . My university gym is a no-chalk gym so rolling thunder lifts were pretty hard because my hand got sweaty fairly quick. Also, after the heavy backpressure training, I feel as if I am getting the onset of tendinitis again. Last Thursday, I began to feel it creep in a little and then I pulled a couple times with my dad on Sunday and felt it some more. I'm still feeling it in my elbow a little so I will probably back off of heavy preacherpad work and backpressure work for a bit. Still going to work wrists and bodyweight I think.

Tonight's Training:

Several pulls with my rolling thunder, various weights, couldn't do much due to hands getting sweaty. Rolling thunder is harder than I thought. I think I pulled 100 lb marginally but was inhibited by sweat.

Did a few standing RT wrist curls

Messed around for a good while doing some heavy backpressure lifts with my loading pin and straps. Kept my elbow locked at my side and lifted with my legs while keeping elbow locked. These are pretty hard with heavier weight. Also did some partial lifts with these. Keeping arm by my side and pulling up with my forearm. Not a very good description, I'll take a picture some time.

Chins 15 / 15

Chin Holds 1 x 15 seconds

Wrist Curls 50 lbs x 2 x 8

Preacher pad partials 50 x 1 x 10. I didn't due heavy preacher pad work due to the backpressure training. I was also feeling a bit discomfort in my right elbow.

I'm thinking I may need to lay off some heavier stuff for a bit so my elbow doesn't get too bad. Any tips on what training I should/shouldn't do to keep my elbow from getting worse?

Whatever exercise irritates the elbow, cut it out for a few workouts.

Where is your elbow hurting? Inside or outside?

Some plain barbell wrist curls, regular and reverse will help your

elbow.

Go light but really pump them up. They need lots of blood flow to heal up.

After each workout take a large salad bowl and fill it half full of ice and then fill

it up about 3/4 of the way with water. Place your elbow down in the ice water

for 10 minutes. Do this after your arm wrestling practice for sure.

I hope this helps.

Remember, ICE is your friend in arm wrestling. :)

Mighty Joe

I was planning on training today, but have decided to completely stop any AW training until my elbow feels better again. I did a bit of sledge work in my room and my elbow seemed fine, then I tried a gripper and not only was I weaker on it but it caused my elbow to feel inflamed again. Ah well, will still be doing my general strength on Monday/Wednesday. Hopefully by a week or so I can start training again.

Did general strength today. Stayed away from anything bicep/elbow related.

Legpress 1 x 10 warmup, 3 x 5 Heavy weight

Overhead Press 1 x 10 warmup, 3 x 5 increasing weight

Bench Press 1 x 10 warmup, 3 x 5 Heavy weight

Dips 2 sets, didn't do very many due to trying to keep stress off my elbows

Lat Pulldown 3 x 5 increasing weight

I took your advice, Joe, and did some wrist curls at the end of my workout. I used low weight and high rep. Did 50 reps with 25 lbs right hand and 30 reps with 25 lbs left hand.

After the workout, my elbow didn't feel particularly bad (about normal for tendinitis), so I think I will completely abstain from any AW training until at least Monday, and see how it feels then. I might do some low weight wrist curls to get blood flowing in the tendons. I might use this brief off period to work my legs and core more.

Also, thanks for the information on r.i.c.e. ivar, I will try to do as much of that as I can. Off to get some ice after classes! I must say, Joe and Ivar are two of the most helpful people on the board, especially when it comes to armwrestling. Both know their stuff.

I did general strength workout this morning. I think my elbow is good enough to go back to AW and grip training again. I'm going to try to do some sledge, wrist, grip, and bodyweight later this afternoon. I'll know for sure if it is good enough then.

This morning's workout:

Squat 1 x 6 warmup, 3 x 5 Heavy weight, did heaviest weight middle set

Bench press 1 x 8 warmup, 3 x 5 heavier weight, did heaviest weight middle sets

Military press 3 x 10 medium/heavy weight

Triceps with dumbbell 1 x 10, didn't like these so did 2 sets of dips but didn't manage many

I had a decent day on the squats, but couldn't manage my regular weight for 3 sets of 5 on bench press. Had to lower the weight for the last set and didn't quite make the full second set. I couldn't do many dips either, that's usually because of doing heavy bench press and over head press right before though.

My elbow feels alright, maybe not quite 100% but about 90% at least. After grip and bodyweight training later I should know. Going to ease back into backpressure training and not go immediately heavy like last time, which set my elbow off.

This morning's workout :

Leg press warmup 1 x 10, Heavy weight 3 x 5 increasing weight

Bench press warmup 1 x 6, worksets 3 x 5 added weight last set, nailed these without problem, adding weight next week

Overhead press worksets 3 x 5, nailed these, adding weight next week

Lat pulldown 3 x 6, increasing weight, did the most I have done on these, still can do more. Want to do my bodyweight for 3 x 6 on this (which I'm sure I can soon)

Did some low weight high rep wrist curls at the end 30 lbs x 45 RH, 30 lbs x 30 LH

My elbow feels like its at about 100% again, so I can start back in grip and AW for real now.

Grippers

Trainer approx 30 RH, approx 20 LH

RH

MMS #2 1,1,1 forced,1,1 forced,1,1,1

NS #1.5 1,1,1,1

#1 15

LH

MMS #1.5 1,1 forced, 1 forced, 1 forced, 1 forced,1 forced,1,1 forced,1

Sledge

Lifts from 3/4 shaft 2,2,2,

RH lever 2,3

LH lever 2 (sloppy),2

Front lever holds 10 seconds x 1 LH/RH

Raises from the back 1 x 10 LH/RH

May or may not do bodyweight and wrist in the gym later. Depends on studying.

I wish there was an edit option so I didn't have to add a new post everytime I update my training for the same day...oh well :D

Did wrist and bodyweight tonight

Neutral Grip Chins 4 x 15 with 3-4 second hold end of each set (working towards short term goal of 4 x 20). My forearms nearly gave out on the last set :D

Dips 4 x 30 (working towards short term goal of 4 x 40)

50 lb wrist curl 4 x 10,8,6,5. My wrists got really tired towards the end.

20 lb plate wrist curl 2 x 8

25 lb plate raises 1 x 6

I do this in a cycle in this order: Set of 15 chins, set of 50 lb wrist curls (one hand), set of 30 dips, set of 20 lb plate wrist curls, set of 25 lb plate raises. That counts as one cycle, then I rest a few minutes and repeat the process until I have four cycles completed. However, I ended up only doing the 20 lb plate curls for two cycles and the 25 lb plate raises for 1 cycle. My wrists weren't able to do all three wrist/hand movements for all 4 cycles, so I decided the 50 lb wrist curls were the most pertinent. I do it in this form so as I have proper resting time for the different muscles.

Hopefully Friday I can work grip, heavy backpressure, wrist, and arm lock for armwrestling.

Edited by thewalrus