The Walrus's Strength Training

blueviper42

Quick tip!

Before you begin any arm wrestling lock training make sure

you are warmed up good. This way tendonitis doesn't creep

up on you.

I always make sure I have a very light sweat going before I start any type

of arm wrestling or arm wrestling specific exercises.

Stay with it my friend. You have huge rewards waiting!!! :)

Mighty Joe

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blueviper42

• mightyjoe

• Paul Knight

• Ivarboneless

Thank you that is a very good point. I learned that after last time when I jumped right in without being warmed up really at all...will definitely not make that mistake again. By the way Joe, my parents are coming in this weekend so I am going to see if we can go get some good sized bowls so I can ice my elbows after AW training...I think that will help some in the long run.

Ok I just got back from the gym where I worked some AW training. I ended up doing it in strange order, so I might not recall exact specifics. Spent about an hour total, probably 10 minutes total rest.

warm up preacher pad large range curls 35 lbs x 10

RT warmup 45 lbs x several

RT steadily increasing weight about 3-4 reps each weight

Got up to 110 lbs for a few singles. Had to do a negative left hand.

Nylon strap backpressure lock 45 lbs warmup x several

Added weight and did a few holds each hand from 50-60 lbs

Ended with about 65 lbs and did a few sets of locks

RT wrist curls 45 lbs 2 sets of 6 each hand. Didn't try to add any more, my hands were pretty tired.

Set of 10 chins in between sets

Set of 30 dips

Got out my pieces of 2" pvc and put them over the neutral grip chin handles. Did a set of about 10 chins. These are hard, especially with a tired wrist and hand.

Did 3 or so sets of about 8 bodyweight wrist curls keeping arm locked at 90 degrees. These are freakin great. Going to start doing these a lot more. Great work for your forearm, hands, and wrist for AW.

preacher pad 60 lbs larger range curls each arm x 8 or so

preacher pad 75 lbs partials x about 6 each arm, hold of a few seconds at end

preacher pad 75 lbs isos rotating hammer grip and regular grip for about 8 seconds

Not all in that order, some things were mixed around and didn't have a set routine, just going with the flow. Was a good workout I think. Elbow feels good. Forearms feel solid. I can feel my grip getting stronger because I was doing the thick handled chins waaay easier than I did a few months ago even after other grip and wrist intensive work.

Edited by thewalrus

Well despite UT's horrible performance tonight against Texas Tech, I do have some good news. I got a large plastic bowl to ice my elbows with, some tube socks to use for compression, and I also got some joint health pills that have glucosamine, chondroiton, and MSM for joint lubrication and flexibility. Hopefully these will help my conditioning. I am also thinking about buying an AW table that can be assembled and disassembled so that I can keep it under my bed in my dorm and bring it out to practice.

Well despite UT's horrible performance tonight against Texas Tech, I do have some good news. I got a large plastic bowl to ice my elbows with, some tube socks to use for compression, and I also got some joint health pills that have glucosamine, chondroiton, and MSM for joint lubrication and flexibility. Hopefully these will help my conditioning. I am also thinking about buying an AW table that can be assembled and disassembled so that I can keep it under my bed in my dorm and bring it out to practice.

Good News!!!

Every time after you practice AW ice your elbow regardless how good it feels.

There's still swelling internally that you can't see. Remember that tendonitis is

accumulative trauma. It occurs over several sessions and peaks when you feel

the horrendous pain it causes. The ice keeps it in check everytime.

Also, once you run out of the glucosamine tablets, switch to a liquid type.

It assimulates into the blood stream better and less is wasted. Any time something is offered

in liquid form, take it over pills.

Are you getting a table from Extreme Arm Wrestling? Brad is a great guy and stands behind his stuff 100%.

Sounds like things are moving along nicely for you. Stay with it and train smart.

Mighty Joe

Joe what do you think about this table http://www.armwrestlingtables.com/elim.htm ?

It's price isn't too bad at $175, and it looks to be easily disassembled and assembled for storage. Do you know of any better deals/tables? This was just one of the first I found and it looked to be good quality.

It will work for practice well. If you ever plan on having a tournament,

tell him you want the one with braces. It's TOUGH!

I've owned this very table you're talking about before.

Mighty Joe

This morning's workout:

Leg press warmup 1 x 6, Heavy Weight 3 x 5

Overhead press 3 x 5 increasing weight

Bench press 1 x 5 heavy weight, 2 x 5 slightly lower (tired from heavy overhead press)

Dumbbell Rows 3 x 10

Wrist Curls RH x 50 LH x 40

Grip, wrist, and body weight later. I need to get around to doing some one armed chin training but I can never really fit it on a day where I am rested enough to do it and it won't interfere.

I did a little bit of grip today, but I ended up falling asleep and then doing homework for the rest of the evening.

Trainer closes each hand

RH

#2 MMS Singles : 1,1

#2 MMS Negatives : 1

#1.5 NS: 1,1

LH

#1.5 MMS Singles : 1,

#1.5 MMS Negatives :1,1

Sledge

Lifts from 3/4 Handle : 2

Back raises : 7

Levers RH : 3

LH : 2

Yesterday I meant to do some bodyweight training but ended up only doing a little on my way back from class.

Yesterday:

Chins x 27 (two sets)

Dips x about 40. Did some hand walks on the parallel bars.

Also did something interesting on the parallel bars that I saw michael todd do. It was harder for me though because the parallel bars are only about 3 and a half foot, and his were well above head height. With your hands above your head you hold your body up with your arms at 90 degrees then walk the bars keeping your arms at 90 degrees. It was hard to keep my legs above the ground due to the bars being so low. Still a good exercise, also works some abdominals.

This morning's workout:

Squat 3 x 5 increasing weight. I go decently past parallel, but everyone else pretty much goes to parallel, and usually, significantly above. I was kind of sleepy so I just did 3 sets on squat.

Bench press 3 x 5 , failed very last rep

Overhead press 3 x 5, had help on last rep

Lat Pulldown 3 x 8, increasing weight. Getting strong on this.

Bicep Curl 2 x 10,8. Was tired at this point and was just doing this for hypertrophy.

Wrist Curl 30 pounds x 50 each hand.

Have an exam Friday and research paper due in a week or so, and Cal homework due in a few days so I may or may not make it to the gym for more wrist and bodyweight today. Sometimes I get caught up in sleep and homework.

Edited by thewalrus

I am going to change my training schedule up some. New schedule should be :

Monday: General strength training in the morning, grippers and sledge in the evening

Tuesday : Body weight training and wrist training

Wednesday : General strength training in the morning, grippers and sledge in the evening

Thursday : Body weight training and wrist training

Friday : Armwrestling specific training

Saturday/Sunday : Rest

Even though it is 5 days straight, I won't really be taxing the same muscles each day. This is probably going to work out better for me as I won't have to make it to the gym twice on Monday and Wednesday. We'll see how this pans out.

Also did some grip last night. Wasn't planning too but ended up doing it anyway. Went for more high reps than singles.

Warmed up with a lot of closes on the T.

RH : #1.5 x 12/10/12

LH #1 x 10/6/8

Lots of T closes in between those sets, lots of random other closes with each hand of different grippers than I didn't document. Also did some thumbless closes. Has anyone else done these? You can either put your thumb around the other side of the handle so you can't use it and close it, or close it normally and remove the thumb and do holds. I don't really know if this helps with much, but it seemed to have more activation of the thumbpad as the thumb wasn't there as an anchor. It forced the thumbpad to push more. I guess it also works your other fingers a bit more. Either way, was a pretty good grip workout. These higher-rep sessions seem to help my closing technique. Right now I'm working towards 6 reps on the #2, then I may get a BBSM for negatives.

Edited by thewalrus

Tonight's Workout:

Neutral Grip Chins 4 x 15 hold for several seconds at end

Dips 4 x 30

50 lb wrist curls 10/12/10/10

Body weight wrist curls 2" rotating PVC 2x 10/8

Holds on 2" PVC with wrist in hook position arms at 90 degrees 2x about 8 seconds

75 lb preacher pad partials 1 x 6

75 lb preacher pad isos 2 x about 8 seconds

I had more endurance left on the sets of dips. Short term goal is 4 x 40, I'm probably pretty close to that. Going to try to do 4 x 35 next time. The chins are still pretty hard, but I'm working towards 4 x 20.

Did some armwrestling training tonight

Dips: 20,20,10,30 These were mostly done in between sets just to do something different. Wasn't doing them for sets, just doing a few now and then.

Rolling Thunder : 70 lbs warmup x 8, 100 lbs x a few times

RT Wrist curls 45 lbs x 6

Preacherpad backpressure with strap 50 lbs warmup hold, moved weight up ended up at 70 lbs for 3 holds I think of about 10 seconds each.

Preachper pad partials 75 lbs 1 x 6

Preacherpad isos 75 lbs 3 x about 8 seconds

50 lb dumbbell wrist curl 3 or 4 sets of 8-10

2" PVC chin holds at 90 degrees x several of 8-10 second holds

2" PVC wrist in hook position arms at 90 degrees x several of 6-7 second holds

2" PVC body wrist curls arms at 90 degrees x several sets of 3-4. Wrists were already tired

I really need to take a pen and pad with me. I usually do my training in a quite convoluted order and it is hard to keep track of exact reps and sets, all weights are accurate though. I usually rest for a few minutes after my arms get really tired, then go back when I feel ready. I go by feel pretty much. Pretty good workout today.

Now entering the power stage of my full-body strength program. Was in Basic Strength for a month or two.

This morning's workout:

Squat warmup 1 x 6, increasing weight 3 x 3, ended up with more weight than I have ever squatted before.

Benchpress warmup 1 x 6, increasing weight 3 x 3. 10 pounds more than for sets of 5. Want to increase it by at least 10.

Overhead press 3 x 3 increasing weight, ended with a pretty good poundage

Lat Pulldown 137.5 pounds x 1 x 8, 150 pounds x 2 x 6

Wrist curls 30 lbs x 50 each hand

Making some good gains in the gym, particularly in leg work. Everyone else in the gym does at best partial squats. I go significantly past parallel while most everyone else goes quite a bit above parallel. One of my lifting partners squats more than me, but he doesn't even squat to parallel < <

This morning's workout :

Squat warmup 1 x 6, 3 x 3 increasing weight. Last set was a grinder.

Bench press warmup 1 x 6, 3 x 3 increasing weight. Last rep was a real fight.

Overhead press 3 x 3 increasing weight. I have gotten a LOT stronger on this (as in, doubled)

Lat Pulldown 3 x 8,8,6. Getting strong on this.

Wrist Curls 30 lbs x 50 each hand.

I got that table ordered.

I did some grip yesterday evening:

RH : MMS'd #2 about 10 times total, some NS #1.5 closes, and some high rep trainer closes

LH : MMS'd #1.5 about 8 times, some #1 closes, high rep trainer closes

Today's Training:

Neutral Grip Chins: 4x15 4-5 second hold end of each set

Dips: 35,35,30,35

Wrist Curls : 50 lbsx3x10, 55 lbs x2x8, 60 lbs 1x6

Neutral Grip Chin Holds: 1x20 seconds

Wrists are getting stronger. Short term goal is full range wrist curl 75 lbs for one rep max.

I did some AW training on Saturday. Backpressure strap holds, wrist work, heavy isos, thick handled chins, thick handle body wrist curls, some RT deadlifts, a few RT wrist curls.

This morning's training:

Squat warmup 1 x 6, heavier weight 3 x 3. Squat is getting a lot stronger.

Overhead press 1 x 6 warmup, 3 x 3 heavy weight

Bench press 3 x 3 heavy weight

Lat Pulldown 3 x 7, pretty good weight

Wrist Curls 32.5 lbs x 50 each hand

This evening I did some grip. About 10 MMS closes #2 RH, about the same LH #1.5 and #1. Some #1.5 and #1 closes right as well. Did a couple sledge lifts each hand.

Edited by thewalrus

Tonight's Training:

Neutral Grip Chins 4x15

Dips 3x30, 1x35

60 lb wrist curl 4x6

55 lb wrist curl 6x8

Thick Handle Chin Holds 6x8 or so seconds each

Today's workout:

I could tell my muscles were still tired from the workout the night before. The only rest between this morning's workout and last night's was my sleep. Went about 5 pounds lower on upper body exercises.

Squat Warmup 1x6, increasing weight 3x3

Bench press Warmup 1x6, increasing weight 3x3, last set failed last rep

Overhead press 3x3 increasing weight

Lat Pulldown 3x6 pretty heavy weight. Close to maxing the machine out.

Wrist Curls 30 lbs x 30.

I'm starting to feel I might be overtraining slightly. I feel fatigued most of the day and have some aches. I'll be taking about a week pretty much off over thanksgiving, this will probably be time to recoup. I might have to make some of my days lighter.

Grip:

RH : MMS #2 closes (I think around 12), some NS #1.5 and 1 closes, lots of T closes for warmup

LH : MMS #1.5 closes about 5, some #1 closes, T closes

Edited by thewalrus

Today's workout:

I could tell my muscles were still tired from the workout the night before. The only rest between this morning's workout and last night's was my sleep. Went about 5 pounds lower on upper body exercises.

Squat Warmup 1x6, increasing weight 3x3

Bench press Warmup 1x6, increasing weight 3x3, last set failed last rep

Overhead press 3x3 increasing weight

Lat Pulldown 3x6 pretty heavy weight. Close to maxing the machine out.

Wrist Curls 30 lbs x 30.

I'm starting to feel I might be overtraining slightly. I feel fatigued most of the day and have some aches. I'll be taking about a week pretty much off over thanksgiving, this will probably be time to recoup. I might have to make some of my days lighter.

Grip:

RH : MMS #2 closes (I think around 12), some NS #1.5 and 1 closes, lots of T closes for warmup

LH : MMS #1.5 closes about 5, some #1 closes, T closes

Sounds like overtraining to me.

Rest or you'll get injured or possibly sick.

The reason I say this is when you overtrain your immune system weakens

and makes you vunerable to colds, etc. easier.

You're doing a GREAT job! Stay with it!

I bet you'll be a different arm wrestler at Europa next year.

Stay Strong!!!

Mighty Joe

I think I know what the problem is, I think it's in the time frame that I do my workouts. The thing is, on Monday and Wednesday I have a weight training class (yes, class in my school schedule :D ) at 9 AM. The fatigued feeling usually occurs on Wednesdays, and I think that is because I do my own training in the evenings. Such as , Monday and Wednesday are in the morning, while Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are in the evenings. That means after I train Tuesday evening I only have about 12 hours of rest before I hit the weight room for heavy gym lifts Wednesday morning. Next semester I won't be in the class anymore, but it has benefited me a lot in overall strength. I will still be doing the gym lifts next semester, but I am going to switch gym lifts to Tuesday and Thursday evenings. That way, all my training will be in the evenings and I will have a full 24 hours of recovery.

Thanks for the nice words Joe, I hope to do better at Europa next year. At the last Europa I had no idea what tournament arm wrestling was like, and didn't even know how to apply backpressure! I learned a lot, and have been making great gains in strength since then. However, as you know I need TABLE TIME to be able to develop fully for pulling. I think I will have this remedied next semester, when I will bring the table I ordered to school with me. I have emailed Mr. Luvelett a few times but I have got around to calling him yet, and he lives a long way from where I am living. I don't have a car so this may be an issue. However, I hope to be able to practice with his group a few times at least. Once I get my table down here I can recruit some people from school to practice with me.

Did some training this evening. Adding in weighted chins and dips. Going to alternate between high rep body weight and added weight.

Neutral Grip Chins +25 lbs 3x8, 1x10, hold of about 5 seconds end of each set

Dips +35 lbs 4x20

Wrist Curls 60 lbs 4x8/6

Wrist Curls 55 lbs 6x8

Top Roll pulls 3x8 (60 lbs)

Neutral Grip Chin holds + 25 lbs 4x10/15 seconds

Thick Rotating Handle Chin Holds 2x12/10 seconds

Today:

Squat Warmup 1x5, increasing weight 3x3

Bench Press Warmup 1x5, increasing weight 3x3. Hit some really good weight on this.

Overhead Press 3x3

Wrist Curls 32.5 lbs x50 each hand

Lat Pulldown 3x6

Hand: 20 Trainer closes warmup, about 10 #2 closes RH, some #1.5 closes RH, some #1.5 and #1 closes LH.

Today was last day of class due to Thanksgiving. Going to get some pulling in on my new table over Thanksgiving. I was back home this weekend and got to assemble it and use it for the first time. It's a nice table.