Preperation For The Insane Bastard Cert

CaptainCrush

I want to be like Ben one day so I'm copying his thread and making one of my own for the Insane Bastard Cert :)

My plan is as follows...

- Many pieces of Insane 0-1 Drill-Rod kinked to various angles from 90 degrees to almost 2 inches.

- Insane Shinys will be used for kink and sweep training up to 90 degrees.

- I'm not touching any Insane Bastards till the Insane Drillrod starts moving. I can already get the Insane Bastard to roughly 90 degrees. From there I can't crush it to save my life so if I can get the drillrod to move from my sticking point, then I know I'm on the right track. The stainless for the kink and sweep will just help me get to 90 degrees a lot quicker!

Let me know if I'm on the right track or if you would do something differently in the training!!!

Here was this mornings session...

Insane Shiny to bout 37 degrees

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainCrush

• bencrush

• foxyj75

• Paul Knight

Ok screw my neighbor for now haha!

I just kinked 5 total Dr. Insanos to between 50 and 60 degrees. My wrists are crying for help.

Excellent log Chad! Glad to see you started this. You've got marvelous kink and sweep strength already and it's only going to get better through this type of training. Hell, you might beat me to the Fantastic and every other shorty bend at the rate you're going lately. It's all good, I wouldn't hate you for it, haha! You keep pushing me and I might have to see if I can kink the damn Psycho Shiny today...

That Drill Rod sure is awesome. I treat that stuff like gold in my garage. It's out on its own little table and I keep a guard dog out there with instructions to kill any intruders that approach the table. Otherwise they can intrude all they want. If it was the same price as Stainless-303 I'd pick the Stainless to use all the time. But since it's usually about half the price for me, I choose to get the Drill Rod the vast majority of the time.

Speaking of Stainless, I'm having a buddy try to find some 5/16" Stainless-316 for me. He said it'll be off the charts in terms of trying to bend it. I've read about it on the steel suppliers websites. Sounds nasty and expensive.

Ok screw my neighbor for now haha!

I just kinked 5 total Dr. Insanos to between 50 and 60 degrees. My wrists are crying for help.

Dang you're building some great steam towards you goal! You've definitely got at least as strong a kink as I do at this point. I hope my crush doesn't let me down again at the last 1/8". It's going to feel like a stick of taffy when you go back to CRS after the Drill Rod.

Thanks Ben!

That part about having a guard dog guarding the drillrod was great! :D

Unless you break an arm, you will continue to kick the ever living crap out of me in short bending. No doubt about it. I do have the age on you though. :tongue

Yeah thats my goal for the CRS to feel almost non-existant to 90 degrees. This drill-rod will definitly help me towards it!

I'm kinda starting to think on where I should include the stainless at in the training though. I mean my main goal is the Insane Bastard so what do you think? Use Insane Shiny's for kink work or what?

I know I'm making things more difficult and I should just bend but I like the opinions from the best! :bow

Nice work so far Chad you will get there for sure!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Thanks Ben!

That part about having a guard dog guarding the drillrod was great! :D

Unless you break an arm, you will continue to kick the ever living crap out of me in short bending. No doubt about it. I do have the age on you though. :tongue

Yeah thats my goal for the CRS to feel almost non-existant to 90 degrees. This drill-rod will definitly help me towards it!

I'm kinda starting to think on where I should include the stainless at in the training though. I mean my main goal is the Insane Bastard so what do you think? Use Insane Shiny's for kink work or what?

I know I'm making things more difficult and I should just bend but I like the opinions from the best! :bow

Haha. I'd say use the Insane Shinys for the kink work and the Drill Rod just like you're using it for the sweep and crush stages. Hell it couldn't hurt to even cheatkink some 1/4"X4.5" Square-FBBC to 90 degrees and work on hammering that home. I usually think it feels very close to the Bastards when it's cut short. Otherwise it feels like a straw in my pads. But at 4.5" and shorter it'll work you.

Alright great! Thanks Ben :)

I went ahead and tried one more of the 0-1 Insane Drillrod.

This one went down much better, even though I thought I'd be beat from kinking a bunch earlier.

Anyways I've noticed with the double pads that I can still get movement out of the drillrod with only bout half an inch sticking into the pad. Kinda scary but if it helps me get even a little bit more towards the crushdown portion of the bend I'm all for sacrifice :D

Here is the final attempt for the day

Insane 0-1 Drillrod to 65 degrees

Nice work Chad!! Thats a killer kink you have there buddy!!

Hey Ben

Speedy Metals sells the 316 Stainless for $.24 an inch!

Thanks Chad, and great job on that last Insane Drill Rod by the way! I've decided not to buy any of the 316 due to a recommendation from a very good bender on the board. Apparently it's not that hard and will be a waste.

Fox!!!! :D

Thanks buddy! My kink keeps getting better but my crush is being stubborn as all hell!

How'd the move go??

Hey Ben

Speedy Metals sells the 316 Stainless for $.24 an inch!

Thanks Chad, and great job on that last Insane Drill Rod by the way! I've decided not to buy any of the 316 due to a recommendation from a very good bender on the board. Apparently it's not that hard and will be a waste.

Thank you Ben!

Yeah no need buying stock thats not gonna help you progress. I am gonna order a few more sections of drillrod here shortly. Now all I gotta do is turn my pitt bull into a guard dog :D

Excellent log Chad! Glad to see you started this. You've got marvelous kink and sweep strength already and it's only going to get better through this type of training. Hell, you might beat me to the Fantastic and every other shorty bend at the rate you're going lately. It's all good, I wouldn't hate you for it, haha! You keep pushing me and I might have to see if I can kink the damn Psycho Shiny today...

That Drill Rod sure is awesome. I treat that stuff like gold in my garage. It's out on its own little table and I keep a guard dog out there with instructions to kill any intruders that approach the table. Otherwise they can intrude all they want. If it was the same price as Stainless-303 I'd pick the Stainless to use all the time. But since it's usually about half the price for me, I choose to get the Drill Rod the vast majority of the time.

Speaking of Stainless, I'm having a buddy try to find some 5/16" Stainless-316 for me. He said it'll be off the charts in terms of trying to bend it. I've read about it on the steel suppliers websites. Sounds nasty and expensive.

Ben

The 316L ive bent is no were near as hard as the 303 i would stick with the 303 infact ive bent harder 304 than the 316L just a heads up.

By the way great Bending Chad and Ben those short bends you are both constantly are attacking will make you both alot stronger in bending terms.

Good work Chad!

Stay with it and it will be yours.

Stay Strong!!!

Mighty Joe

Thanks Gary and Joe!!

This short drillrod I am slowly falling in love with!!

I just dropped off 6 feet of 303 Stainless to be cut into Insane Shiny's at my dad's friends machine shop.

As far as pre-kinking the drillrod to 90 degrees and closer, if I just get the pieces I've already bent and stick em in a vice, will that bend at the same angle as if a person had really bent it to that degree? Most of the pieces I had already bent to between 50 and 60 degrees.

As far as pre-kinking the drillrod to 90 degrees and closer, if I just get the pieces I've already bent and stick em in a vice, will that bend at the same angle as if a person had really bent it to that degree? Most of the pieces I had already bent to between 50 and 60 degrees.

Not quite the same angle with cheatkinking, but I haven't been able to notice much difference if the bar is already kinked by hand to a good degree, like 40 degrees or more. Under that and you'll be able to tell a difference, slight but it's noticeable.

So far this morning...

- 5 Iso's with Insane Drillrod bent to 2 1/4 roughly 5 seconds each with single leather pads.

I'm gonna load on the coffee and probably do a few hits in double leather with some insane drillrod kinked to 90 degrees tonight.

Yeah with it already kinked a good degree Ben all the pre-bent stuff I put in a vise and cheated to different stages looks just like had I bent it for real! :D

Chad, I would kill to have a kink and sweep as good as yours. Great stuff here. Did you get your chop saw? Hopefully the price didn't scare you away from it :D. My previous best bend at 6" was a G8. After I ate 6 hoho's today I picked up a 6" x 1/2" piece of Drill Rod and bent it in 3 seconds with 2" x 2" padding. Thank you for the inspiration I am now on the top. :laugh

Chad, I would kill to have a kink and sweep as good as yours. Great stuff here. Did you get your chop saw? Hopefully the price didn't scare you away from it :D. My previous best bend at 6" was a G8. After I ate 6 hoho's today I picked up a 6" x 1/2" piece of Drill Rod and bent it in 3 seconds with 2" x 2" padding. Thank you for the inspiration I am now on the top. :laugh

:D thanks a lot buddy!

I didn't get the chop saw YET...but definitely by this weekend for sure. I have a bunch of drillrod coming to try it out.

I was skeptical on the ho-ho's whether or not they were indeed giving me special bending powers. Out of all the times I have not ate them beforehand I didn't hit a PR on a kink, total bend or whatever. Everytime I eat em I am no bullshit STRONGER! :blink

Ho-ho's to me is like Lincoln Hawk turning around his hat on Over The Top! :laugh

thanks man!!

I figure it this way, if I can make bending even a little bit of fun and put a little bit of humor in most of my posts, and to make myself look like I know what I'm doing , all the damn blisters, sore pecs, throbbing palms and constant jitters from illegal amounts of coffee is worth it :tongue

Speaking of coffee...I'm out of coffee! :(

I will have to double my ho-ho intake I guess! :D

Fox!!!! :D

Thanks buddy! My kink keeps getting better but my crush is being stubborn as all hell!

How'd the move go??

The move went good, still getting stuff sorted out and out of boxes though!! :( But, on a brighter note, I now have a 2 car garage that's all mine to fill with assorted bent metal, tools, barbells, and whatever else I might like!! :rock I guess you could say that I now have my own "fox den"!!! :D :D :D I'm gonna try to get the rest of this moving stuff squared away, and bend some stuff in a couple days. I am itchin' for some steel death!!!!! :cool:rock :rock :rock

Thats great that you are getting stuff sorted out. I can't wait to see your Grand Brutal Hex VIDEO! :D

Having a 2 car garage is awesome, nothing better than being able to be at home and lift, bend, grip, breakdance whenever you want regardless of the weather! :cool

Ben

The 316L ive bent is no were near as hard as the 303 i would stick with the 303 infact ive bent harder 304 than the 316L just a heads up.

By the way great Bending Chad and Ben those short bends you are both constantly are attacking will make you both alot stronger in bending terms.

Thanks Gary! Definitely don't want to buy something that's going to be too easy.