• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amaury

• Jonathan McMillan

• the swiss

• Griparn

little update for the log guys (Jonas, Alan, Jon, Matt etc.):

I stopped KTA to train for a little grip comp including bending, pinch, thick bar DLs, Farmer walks and grippers. Classic stuffs :)

David (aka "the swiss") will be there and i don't want to be no match for him. Well i'm afraid i'll be anyway :blush:D

The #3 will have to wait !

I'm looking at the same situation. With the announcement of the BFGS in Sept and the 2003 SuperGrip in October, I'm not sure how or when I'm going to start training for the other lifts. I would like to close the #3 before then, or maybe close it during the comps. I will have to slow down at some point to work on forearm strength.

If you guys come up with a training plan for the grip competitions that still gives enough time to gripper training for a #3 closing can you post it? It seems to be a popular porblem at the moment ;)

Jon@han

Alan: lucky you! It will be darn cool to compete at the BFGS considering the competitors and prizes :yikes And the Supergrip is a already a classic :cool

Jon: i plan to train all the lifts every three days. I'll post my trainings. :)

looking forwad to the comp.

I think it'll be tough:

- Amaury is strong at thick bar (stronger than me, from what I can see).

- he is 4mm away on his #3. But I have only ever closed my #3, so nothing tells us that he isn't stronger than me already on grippers!!

- his progress on bending is pretty scary, and I am taking a break from bending due to some strange forearm soreness during hard bends.

let's train hard

david

Hi Alan ! :)

The comp will be held on May 17 !

I train thick bar, stone and clamp pinching, bending and only a few singles with the grippers.

My left hand is much weaker than my right, time to make something about it !

At the time being:

- 2.5" Thick bar DB deadlifts : i use 95lbs to train (which is not my 1RM). The bell will have to be deadlifted level with the forearms not touching the plates. Makes it considerably harder ;). My goal: 115lbs with the right hand and 100lbs with the left hand. With forearms touching the plates i can already go higher than 132lbs with the R. hand.

- No pinching goals since David will bring an apparatus i've never used before !

- Bending goals: The nails will have to be bent in a V in less than 1mn and by ironmind rules (above the waist, no bracing...). I can already do a blue nail in this fashion, so we'll see ! I use 6.5mm*180mm nails in my current trainings. Plan to cut them to 160mm.

- grippers: just do a few singles with the #2. I don't plan to do better at the comp ;)

PS: David is stronger than i am in every grip departement... ;)

Looks like we're pretty close. My best is 120lbs on a 2.5" thickbar. You've got me by a bit on the bending, and I've got you by a bit on the grippers. I haven't done any bending in a while, the pain was a bit much. After I move, I'm going to set up a workout area in my garage. I really want to make a stand-up, shoulder-level wrist roller. I'll be working on forearms and wrists. Once I feel my wrists are stronger, I will try bending again. Someday, I may even be as good as the GREAT MACAIRE!

Someday, I may even be as good as the GREAT MACAIRE!

:tongue:tongue

Snott will be jealous ! :D

We are pretty close indeed... except at phonebook tearing: you're miles ahead ! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Dude! Where are ya? It's been a while since you've posted. I hope things are still going well for you. You'd better come back with some good progress reports!

Thanks Alan :) : i'm back from holydays in southern France and didn't have access to the web there. I don't have good progress reports though, since i hurt my shoulders while bending and have to slow down a lot. I think/hope everything will be OK for the comp next week :erm

It may sound like a lame excuse for not beating David... :whistel:tongue

• 4 weeks later...

Long time no post...

Did a kind of Bendathon today: I bent twenty 6*160mm nails in a row. I quickly torn the skin in my left hand and painfully reached 20 bent nails and stopped. tip my hat to J. Brookfield that can bend 500 nails (probably harder than mine) in a row without pad. Superhuman really.

If you happen to read that post and if you are a nail bender i would be eager to know how many nails you've bent in a row !

Amaury

Nice bending,is that 20x6"x60d nails.

If it was all unbraced as well,i salute you as i just started bending and know how hard it is.

Nice bending, Amaury. What is the "weight" of those 160mm nails? Are they 60D's, harder than the BLUE nail?

You've motivated me to try a bendathon. I still have about 10lbs of the easy-spiral-nails. I would be interesting to see how many could be bent, non-stop...

Gazza, Jonathan and bender : thanks guys ! These nails are easier than the Blue nail and i would rather compare them with the yellow nail. It was unbraced by the way. I quite never brace ;)

I'll send nails to Terminator soon (when that fuc#### french post is not on strike anymore :angry: ). He has agreed to rate them :happy

I'll tell you the results !

• 1 month later...

I think i should change the title of my log ! :tongue

Well i don't focus anymore on the grippers and i'll close that #3 soon enough. Why ? Cuz I don't find the last portion of the crush to be "functionnal" (a vague word i know). I still use my grippers though... But differently ! I now only do "no set" reps with my #2, #3 and above all with my #4. I can move it something like 1.5" this way which is enough. I can still "no set" close my #2 so i still work that little crush of mine :D Hopefully i'll develop a good sweep with that training. I was about to lose it that "deep set" technique. Very efficient technique BTW. But only for those whose goal is mainly to become a COC. Maybe i'll be a COC someday, a "no set" COC in fact... tough... :unsure

A little update it was :happy

Amaury,

I agree with your point of view on the grippers, at the beginning of the year I was all obsessive with them and let my other grip training slide drastically. But with one caveate or however you spell it ;) Working the close position of the grippers seems to help with the metal aspect of crushing. I was neglecting it with my training of hanging weight off the handle as this hits the sweep more and can give a false sense of closing a gripper. Since I started throwing in some rulerholds which force a strict crush along with the sweep work I think my gripper work has improved. So what I'm saying is: yes focus on the sweep but also include occasional close work such as strap/ruler holds imho :)

Jon@han

Well that's a good idea Jon, i'll do some strapholds when i do my gripper workouts. I just want to maintain my crushing strength for the moment. When i'll resume hard gripper training i'll begin with a KTA cycle and mash that sucker ;) But there are many things i want to do before : bend my 7mms nails with ease, build a competitive pinch grip and handle some decent poundages on the pronation/supination wrist curls (i had never done them before, you can easily imagine how i lack strength in that department :blush ).

Thanks for the input mate !

• 1 month later...

I realised today that i can close my #2 with 3 fingers. It's no great deal you may think (rightly), but as i said i just realised that today, so now my log is updated :stuart

If you happen to read that post and if you are a nail bender i would be eager to know how many nails you've bent in a row !

Three 60D (~290# each, if the Blue is 260#).

I think you are on the right track with the volume bending. I have had trouble progressing on the bend once a week, two warm-ups, and then a PR attempt approach.

I am going to try to work up to 10 60D in a row, hopefully by the end of the year.

Edited by RSW