Gumpster's Gripping

gumpster

Great posting such describing videos! :) Anyone that's new to gripper training could learn a lot about technique there.

How does the change in routine feel by the way? Your bending seems to be going strong. Im not familiar with all kind of bending stuff and how they measure in strength. Are the steel you are bending rated between a blue nail and red nail?

Thanks - I thought doing a video of setting was something I could contribute to the grip community. It was awkward sitting there filming my hands, talking to the camera and trying to get my thoughts in order. :blush

So far the change has gone well. I needed a bit more recovery time after the bending but I don't know how it will go for the next few workouts. I plan to do a cycle of bending - grippers - sledge/wrist work - pinch work (each on their own day)...then repeat. That may result in only doing each area about once every two weeks but hopefully I'll be able to make progress since the intensity will be greater. Odin mentioned doing some Inch workouts more than 2 weeks apart without losing any strength so maybe this will work for me.

I've never had my hands on any branded bending stock (Ironmind/FBBC) but I'd like to think I'm at or above blue nail level. The closest thing (in dimensions) to a blue I can get locally is a 60d nail (6" x 1/4") but I think a blue may be harder. I have done 7mm round down to 5.5" which should be harder than a blue but I don't know if the stock I have is HRS or CRS. I'm unable to get 5/16" or 8mm round stock locally so I'm trying to bridge the gap to a red/bastard by using 6.5mm & 7mm square stock (unknown type - HRS/CRS?). Hopefully, around the end of the year I can convince my wife I "need" to get some branded stock and I'll order some FBBC stuff (maybe the advanced bender's bag). The Ironmind stock just doesn't seem worth the money by comparison. It's hard to justify paying for the branded stuff when I can get 30-40 pieces of steel to bend for the equivalent of $3 USD - I do have to cut/file it myself but I enjoy that part. ;)

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gumpster

• ewokhugo

• Griparn

• easyWeight

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to hear the change feels good! :) I think you do the right thing in starting out slowly and only do each thing once every two weeks. Because you can always add some more workouts after awhile when the body has adapted. Some areas like the crushing I think recover faster than other things. Im sure you'll find some good workload after some weeks.

Thanks for the steel clarification! Its good its quite cheap to buy compared to other griptools :D

31May08

Stacker Lift - L&R 20/25/27.5# holds for 5sec, 28.75# R 1sec L5sec (PR), did an attempt with 30# but couldn't get any air...maybe too tired at that point

8# Sledge Front - L&R holds choked up 12/10/8/10" for 5sec

8# Sledge Rear - L&R holds choked up 6/4/2/0" for 5sec (PR)

8# Sledge Side - L&R 1 rotation to both sides choked up 20/18/18/20x2

8# Sledge Overhead - 1rep 2 sets

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 15# 3reps, 15# 3reps, 10# 5reps

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 3reps, 35# 3reps, 30# 5reps

Plate Curls - R&L 20# 4reps

I'm pretty happy with how today went. Got a PR on the stacker lift and next time I'll go for 30# a bit earlier when I'm not so tired. I might not get it right but I think there's good chance left. Also cleared out one of my goals for the year of a rear lever on the 8# sledge. Just getting that gives me a bit of motivation to try harder the next bending session. I think the break from last session with grippers was just about right for this workout. Just a couple days and no soreness to deal with is optimum.

3Jun08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - 1sec, 25# - 5sec, 30# - 3sec, 25# - 2sec

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 1sec, 35# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 45# just broke ground, 40# - 5sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 40# - 5 sec, 45# R 5sec L 1sec, 50# R 5sec L fail, 55# - fail, 40# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R&L 75/75# - 5sec, 75# - 15sec

Grippers - R&L #1 TNS 5 full reps, #2.5 MMS hold 10sec, #3 in choker @22mm spread - R 5sec L 3mm away - 2 sets, #2 TNS - failed 4mm away, #2 MMS - 5sec, #2.5 MMS - 5sec, #2.5 TNS - failed 1/4" away, #2.5 MMS - failed

Felt weak today but tried to do as much as I could with the pinch stuff and added grippers. Worst pinch/gripper workout in several months - couldn't even TNS my #2. It has to get better next time.

5Jun08

DO Bending - 60d, 7mm x 7" square (PR), 7mm x 6.5" square (over 5min), 9mm x 7.5" (HRS?...PR?)

DU Bending - 6mm x 7", 5mm x 5", attempted 60d from previous failures (@20deg) - failed again, no progress

Reverse Bending - 60d, 7mm x 5.5" - got it to 37deg in 30sec but it took a few min to reach 40deg, 6.5mm x 6.5" square (PR)

I just did pinch and grippers two days ago but felt like bending today and it seemed to be a good choice. Made progress on DO and reverse but DU is still struggling. The square stock is proving to be a good gap filler since I don't have any 8mm or 5/16" round stock.

DO - I decided to try the same 7mm x 7" square that I tried last time (but it was pre-kinked) and mowed it down without too much trouble. That was a PR but I figured I'd go for the next level and loaded up a 6.5" piece of the same square stock. I got it kinked and moved it quite a bit but it was just shy of being able to interlock my fingers for a crush down. I went over the 5 minute mark but rested a couple minutes and was able to get that last part and crushed it. That was a really satisfying bend after all the struggle. At the end of my workout I wanted to have a go at a piece of the 9mm stuff I mistakenly bought. I had cut a piece over the normal 7" since I figured it would be good to work my way down to it at some later date. I actually didn't expect it to move but it did and started kinking about 1" off center. I wasn't expecting that and had to shift my wraps/hands to try to keep it more towards the middle. I managed to get it kinked and crushed down which was very surprising. I'm pretty much convinced the 9mm stuff is HRS - it seemed way too easy and the appearance is much different than the other stuff I have (rougher texture). I'll try to get a picture up in my gallery tomorrow.

DU - I've been frustrated by the 60d for some weeks now so I did a couple easier pieces just to go through the motions. Wrapped up the same old 60d I've been working on and gave it one good hit. I think it may have moved a tiny bit but nothing worth noting. My wrists feel shot after just one hit on something that doesn't move. I tried to visualize the movement needed and focused on trying to avoid letting my wrists flex but that 60d just didn't want to give in. This style is going to be really slow to develop for me.

Reverse - Back at work on another piece of 7mm x 5.5" - gave it all I had for the full 30sec, even switched hands. Made it further but still short of the 40deg mark. Rested a bit and was able to get it there after a few more hits. 5.5" or anything shorter is going to be really tough in this style for me (bigger than average hands may be hurting more than helping). As a final bend I tried some 6.5mm square at 6.5" and it felt easy - one hit, no switching hands, well under 30sec. Next week I'll try a 6-incher then maybe move to the 7mm square stuff.

10Jun08

Grippers R&L - #1 - 3 TNS reps, maxed out on parallel reps at the end of workout - R 25reps L 32reps

#2 - TNS 1rep, MMS hold 10sec

#2.5 - 2 TNS attempts 3mm away, MMS hold 5sec, MMS hold 10sec, MMS hold 10sec

#3 - MMS attempt - 1/4" away, choker @22mm - R good L missed by 2mm, choker @22mm - R hold for 5sec L missed again

Did quite a bit more today than I would have when I was doing grippers along with other stuff. Felt equally as strong with my left on all grippers below the #3 but only my right got the #3 closed. Changed things up today and went for a max at the end of my workout on the #1 with parallel reps. Surprised myself when I got 7 more left than right. I still snuck in some extensor work between gripper attempts using 7 little rubber bands (can't get any big ones locally). The holds on the #2.5 hurt in a good way and I think they'll pay dividends in the future with some strength gains.

13Jun08

Stacker Lift - R&L 20/25# holds for 5sec, 30# just barely got air under it, 20# hold for 5sec

8# Sledge Front - R&L holds choked up 8/10/10/8" for 5sec, tried 6" only held it for 2sec

8# Sledge Rear - R&L holds choked up 4/2/0/0/0" for 5sec

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides choked up 20x2/18/18/18

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L 1rep 4 sets

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 15# 3reps, 12.5# 3reps, 10# 5reps

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 3reps, 35# 3reps, 35# 3reps

Plate Curls - R&L 20# 3reps 2 sets

Weaver Stick Front - R&L 3.75#, tried 5# but couldn't get it parallel

Weaver Stick Rear - R&L 3.75/6.25#, tried 7.5# but didn't get it

Felt good and was able to do more sledge work than I had been. The rear sledge lever at the end of the handle I just got for the first time last workout and now it feels almost routine (did it 3x). On the stacker I was hoping to get 30# and scratch off another goal but just got some air under it. I think I'll have it soon. I did the weaver stick after my main workout was over so I was tired but I matched my previous bests (haven't done it in a couple months).

16Jun08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R&L 20# - 5sec, 25# - 5sec, 30# - 2sec, 20# - 5sec, 25# - 5sec

IM Hub - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - 5sec, 40# - 2sec, 45# failed, 40# - 2sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 45# - 5 sec, 50# - 5sec, 55# - 1sec, 50# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R&L 75# - 5sec 4 sets

Grippers - R&L #1 10 parallel reps

Another uneventful pinch workout and only slightly better than the last one. It was raining today and my hands were really dry which added to the strangeness. Still felt a little sore from the last workout of wrist stuff but wanted to get this in before the wife came home from work (she hates it when I workout while she's home). :dry Just did a few easy reps on the #1 for fun. Looking forward to the next workout in a few days - BENDING! :D

20Jun08

DO Bending - 60d, 7mm x 6.5" square (PR), 2-60d nails taped together - failed-barely kinked, 7mm x 6" square (about 10min), 7mm x 7", 7mm x 7", 7mm x 7"

DU Bending - 6mm x 6"

Reverse Bending - 7mm x 7", 7mm x 7" square - failed-barely kinked, 6.5mm x 6" square (PR)

DO - I got the 7mm x 6.5" square that took me over 5 minutes last time in about a minute and was feeling great - that's a PR! I then decided to attempt 2-60d nails taped together and got humbled (barely kinked the nails). I read that Elizabeth Horne has done this feat and wanted to see where I stand compared to the best woman bender on the planet...still have some work to do. I wasted a good bit of energy on that over a few minutes and moved on. Decided to give the next level a shot and went after 7mm x 6" square. Got it kinked easy enough but the sweep to get to crush down stage was a battle. Just getting this completed, even though it took around 10min, makes me think I might have a chance at a red/bastard. The cross-sectional amount of steel is very to close to 5/16" round. Knocked out a few pieces of 7mm x 7" for some guys in the neighborhood who wanted to give it a shot after they saw me doing it. I was relieved to see none of them even moved it - initial kink or even after I pre-kinked it for them. It's kind of fun being the weird American guy who does hand exercises.

DU - Just didn't feel like doing much DU today so I killed an easy piece of 6mm.

Reverse - Since I'm now down to 6" DO on this 7mm square stock I wanted to try a piece reverse. The 7" piece felt like a rock and didn't seem to move at all. Checked it out after giving all I had for 30 seconds and there was a micro-kink of about 1mm. Not ready for that yet, so I went back to the slightly smaller 6.5mm square and got a 6" done in time - another PR!

I'm really happy with the bending progress and getting a couple PRs today boosted my confidence. The only bad part is that I tore a couple blisters open on my hands. I didn't notice them until they tore open but just put a piece of tape over the worst one and kept bending. I should have time to heal up before the next bending session.

• 2 weeks later...

29Jun08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R&L 20# - 5sec, 25# - 5sec, 30# - 3sec

IM Hub - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - 5sec, 40# - 5sec, 45# - L 5sec R 2sec, 50# - L 5sec (PR) R failed

3" Pinch Block - R&L 40# - 5 sec, 50# - R 3sec L 5sec, 55# - R&L 2sec

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R&L 75# - 10sec 3 sets

Grippers - R&L #2 - TNS 5sec hold, MMS 10sec hold, MMS 10sec hold

#2.5 - TNS attempt 3mm away, MMS 5sec hold

#3 - MMS attempt 1/4" away, choker @22mm - failed both hands

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# 3reps, 12.5# 3reps

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 3reps, 35# 2reps

Finally got a chance to get in a workout (the wife got sick and spent a couple days in the hospital with her). It feels like forever since my last workout. Decided to combine the pinch & gripper work today. Wasn't expecting anything special but my left hand felt "on" with the hub today - got 50# up and held it there! That's a PR and one my goals for the year accomplished. Grippers felt weak and I couldn't even get the #3 closed in a choker. I'm going for #30 on the stacker next workout since it seems to be the closest of all my goals left.

2Jul08

Stacker Lift - R&L 20/25# holds for 5sec, 30# failed - just wobbled it, 28.75# hold for 5sec

8# Sledge Front - R&L holds choked up 10/8/10" for 5sec, tried 6" failed

8# Sledge Rear - R&L holds choked up 2/0/0" for 5sec

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides choked up 20"x2/18"x2/18"x2

8# Sledge Overhead - R&L 1rep 2 sets

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 15# 3reps, 17.5# 3reps

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 3reps, 35# 3reps, 40# failed, 35# 1rep

Plate Curls - R&L 20# 5reps 1 set

Felt pretty good today but just couldn't get the 30# up on the stacker lift.

Thanks Griparn, yeah I'm slowly getting there. Next to go down should be the CoC #2.5 TNS or the stacker - just need a good day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6Jul08

Grippers R&L - #1 - 5 full reps, coin hold at the end of workout - R 28sec L 36sec

#2 - TNS 5sec hold, MMS hold 10sec

#2.5 - 2 TNS attempts - R 1mm L 4mm, MMS hold 10sec, MMS hold 10sec

#3 - choker @22mm - hold 10sec, 2 MMS attempts - R 5mm L 10mm away, choker @22mm - R 5sec hold L 3mm away, made another attempt in the choker - failed both hands

Felt pretty good today. I was oh-so-close to nailing the #2.5 with a TNS...I held it there for a few seconds with that tiny gap and repositioned my thumb but no luck. Both attempts were nearly identical. I'm so close to this goal I can taste it. I had a good run at the #3 also. Held it closed for 10sec with the choker and got about 5mm away MMS with my right. I'll work grippers a little when I do my pinch workout but it'll be a couple weeks until I do another gripper only workout. That may be the big day. The skin on right hand is taking a beating. I taped up the area of missing skin from the last bending session on my index finger and had to add a little tape to my pinkie in the middle of my workout today since the handles were chewing a groove. I finished up with my first ever coin hold using the #1 (I'd done it with the #2.5 before but that only lasted 5sec) and man did that hurt! :ohmy It took a minute or so before I could open my hands. Fun fun fun! :D

11Jul08

DO Bending - 60d, 7mm x 6" square - failed 3mm kink, 7mm x 5" - failed 40deg, 7mm x 7" square - failed no kink, 7mm x 7"

DU Bending - 40d, 60d (was pre-kinked from previous sessions) - finally got it to 40deg

Reverse Bending - 6.5mm x 7" square, 7mm x 5.5" (PR for 7mm round), 6.5mm x 5.5" square (PR)

The worst ever bending day I've had for DO. Not sure why but it just didn't feel right doing DO today. I failed to get stuff I had done or gotten close to before. I did some jogging early this morning and bent in the late afternoon so maybe that had something to do with it. While attempting the 7mm x 6" square piece I had my right index finger resting on the bar and not the wraps. It made a deep crease in my finger directly on top of a childhood scar I got from a wood-cutting accident. My finger went numb in that area and now 6 hours later it's still numb and a little swollen. I hope it returns to normal soon. It's kind of worrying me that I might have some nerve damage. I felt weak in the DO style but the others felt OK.

I finally made progress on the 60d in DU style. Got it to over 40deg but it wasn't easy. I'll try a fresh one next time and if I get that it'll be a PR.

Reverse was the best style of the day. I got a PR on the 7mm round and the 6.5mm square. Might have to try some 5" pieces next time.

16Jul08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - 5sec, 40# - 2sec (PR), 35# - 5sec, 40# - 1sec

IM Hub - R&L 40# - 5sec, 50# - 1sec, 45# - 3sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 50# - 5 sec, 65# - R broke ground L failed, 60# - 2sec, 55# - 3sec

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R&L 75# - 10sec 3 sets

Grippers - R&L #1 - 5 full reps

#2 - TNS attempt failed 2mm away

#2.5 - TNS attempt failed 5mm away, MMS 5sec hold

#3 - choker @22mm - failed 3mm away

Strange weather & workout...it's been raining for 4 days straight and the humidity is as high as it can be. My hands felt clammy but kind of cool like the blood wasn't flowing well. The chunk felt like it was made for today - 30# felt easy so I went straight to 40# and got it up for a couple seconds (first time ever to get 40# off the ground). One of my goals is to get that up for 5sec so this didn't quite qualify but it gave me some confidence. The hub felt just OK and grippers were horrible (couldn't get a TNS on the #2 or the #3 in a choker). The pinch block was pretty good also and I broke ground with 65# which I think is the first time. Had I tried that first instead of the chunk I might have pulled it for 5sec or maybe even gone for 70#. Today clued me in to the fact that weather can play a huge role in how things feel with grip stuff. My hands felt almost sticky on the smooth painted surfaces of the chunk and pinch block which resulted in good performance.

I forgot to mention that my left hand has a torn callous from the last bending workout. Didn't seem to affect me much today since I cut back on grippers. The right index finger is still a bit numb today and was stiff for a couple days after I hurt it bending on the 11th. I think it will return to normal in a few more days.

20Jul08

Stacker Lift - R&L 20/25# holds for 5sec, 30# failed, 27.5# R failed L good, 26.25# R failed 28.75# L failed

8# Sledge Front - R&L holds choked up 10/8/8/12" for 5sec

8# Sledge Rear - R&L holds choked up 0/0/0/2" for 5sec

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides choked up 20x1/18x1/18x1/20x3

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# 5reps, 15# 3reps, 15# 3reps

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R&L 25# 5reps, 30# 3reps, 35# 3reps

Plate Curls - 20# R 5reps L 4reps, R 2reps L 3reps

I was hoping to get the stacker up with 30 pounds but just wobbled it again with my left, right stayed glued to the table. Nothing really special today.

23Jul08

Grippers R&L - #1 - (full reps) 5, 3, 10, 5, MMS 10sec hold, MMS 10sec hold

#2 - TNS 5sec hold, MMS 5sec hold, TNS 5sec hold, MMS 5sec hold, MMS 10sec hold x 4

#2.5 - MMS 5sec hold x 3, choker @28mm 5sec hold x 5

#3 - choker @22mm x 2, MMS attempt - got to about 1/4"

About once a week I have to wait at the bus stop while my wife shops and today was such a day. I usually just bring along one of my easier grippers and play with it since I'll be there for several hours. Today I took all 4 grippers (no chalk) and made a workout of it since I had to wait nearly 3 hours. I ended up doing a lot of closes (more than my normal gripper workout) and my hands are aching now. I didn't want to attempt the #2.5 TNS since I didn't have any chalk. I'll go after that next time. I did go jogging this morning but it didn't seem to affect my gripping.

26Jul08

DO Bending - 60d, 9mm x 7", 9mm x 6.5", 7mm x 6" square (failed piece from last time with a tiny kink) - got it to about 85deg, 9mm x 6" (PR)

DU Bending - 60d (PR) finally, 7mm x 7" - failed but got a tiny kink of about 3mm

Reverse Bending - 60d, 6.5mm x 5.5" square, 7mm x 7"

Much better day bending than last time - DO felt back in the groove. I plan to go for the 60d in-every-way (IEW) next time and get my first bending video. I ripped a couple spots of skin off on my right hand and the one on my left is still healing but no worse. I just put tape on them and kept bending. I spent more time trying to wrap carefully which helped with the PRs I think.

DO - I went after some of the 9mm HRS and killed it at 7", then 6.5", and finally 6". The first two were not too hard and went fast once I got it moving but the 6" wrestled with me for a couple minutes during the crush down. I have no idea how it compares to commonly used stock but it's really fun to bend and looks big. I spent a lot of time hitting the 7mm x 6" square piece from last time and couldn't get it finished but made progress which is good.

DU - The 60d has finally been killed. It hurt but I got it to about 55deg in 15 sec. Now I can make that a routine bend and move on to other stuff. The 7mm round is still a bit much right now even at 7". I only brought 3 60d nails with me so once my initial bends were done in each style I had no more. I should have tried to bend another one DU.

Reverse - I matched my PR bend from last time with the 6.5mm square and did a piece of 7mm round. I didn't bring my notes with me so I couldn't recall what my best bends were with the stock. I might have gone for a 5" piece of the 6.5mm square if I had known.

30Jul08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - 2sec

IM Hub - R&L 30# - 5sec, 35# - 5sec, 40# - 3sec, 45# - 1sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 40# - 5sec, 50# - 5sec, 55# - 5sec, 60# - 1sec

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R&L 75# - 5sec 3 sets

Grippers - R&L #1 - 5 full reps

#2 - TNS x 1

#2.5 - MMS 5sec hold x 2

Only had about an hour to workout last night so had to cut things a little shorter than usual and didn't get much rest between attempts. Felt OK, but nothing was great and grippers were a bit weak. Hands/wrists still feel a little beat up from bending.

2Aug08

Stacker Lift - R&L 15/25# holds for 5sec, 30# failed, 26.25#

8# Sledge Front - R&L holds choked up 12/10/8/10" for 5sec

8# Sledge Rear - R&L holds choked up 4/0/0/4" for 5sec

8# Sledge Side - R&L rotation to both sides choked up 20x1/18x1/18x1/20x3

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R&L 10# 3reps, 15# 3reps, 15# 3reps

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R&L 30# 3reps, 35# 3reps, 30# 5reps

Plate Curls - R&L 20# 3reps

Bending DO - 60d, 60d, 9mm x 7" HRS

Bending Reverse - 60d

The guy I buy rice from knows of my grip hobby and asked me to stop by and bend something bigger (I did a 60d and 7mm x 7" CRS last time). So I took a piece of 9mm HRS which looks a lot tougher but is actually only a little harder. They were impressed and asked to keep the piece as a souvenir. I kind of wish I had more tricks to show them. I also took my grippers with me and all the workers played with them a bit. One guy was 5'1" and his hands were almost 8" long! :blink I gave him a bit of instruction on setting and he got my #1 closed. That's the first person I've ever had close it on their first introduction to grippers, I was impressed.

I wasn't really planning to workout today but after my little show with the rice guys I figured I'd get it done. Didn't feel strong on the stacker and struggled with 26.25# after wobbling 30# again. Another uneventful workout...they can't all be great.

First of all congratulations on TNS closing a #2 without trainig for a while. For me that's a really impressive feat. I wonder what the highest gripper is that have ever been closed TNS style. Therefore I'll have to search the board.

The guy I buy rice from knows of my grip hobby and asked me to stop by and bend something bigger (I did a 60d and 7mm x 7" CRS last time). So I took a piece of 9mm HRS which looks a lot tougher but is actually only a little harder. They were impressed and asked to keep the piece as a souvenir. I kind of wish I had more tricks to show them. I also took my grippers with me and all the workers played with them a bit. One guy was 5'1" and his hands were almost 8" long! :blink I gave him a bit of instruction on setting and he got my #1 closed. That's the first person I've ever had close it on their first introduction to grippers, I was impressed.

I wasn't really planning to workout today but after my little show with the rice guys I figured I'd get it done. Didn't feel strong on the stacker and struggled with 26.25# after wobbling 30# again. Another uneventful workout...they can't all be great.

Buying rice? What's your occupation?

I've never bend anything so I don't really now how to rate your 9mm HRS bend. Guess you always have to do things yourself first before you now how hard it is. Don't know how to start bending at all. So I'll have to search the board for that too.

When I received my CoC#1 I was handing it to my brothers that are both younger than me. They were able to close it with both hands completely without instructions. TNS style... I couldn't believe it and today I'm still not able to TNS it with my left and that's just bugging me. Also I recall one day when I was younger. I tried to adjust a rusty screw with a pipe wrench using my whole bodyweight (maybe >70kg that time) and I wasn't even able to move the screw. My father, who is a martial artist (wing tsun - started in 1977), then did it with his bare hand and without a tool. I guess some people are just gifted :(

• 2 weeks later...
Buying rice? What's your occupation?

Thanks for the reply Klesen. I'm an American living in the Philippines. I'm currently not employed but trying to get comfortable with an early retirement (I decided life was too short to spend it working :tongue ). I buy rice from the "open market" here which is common in all third world countries. I could get it from a grocery store like I would in the USA but it would cost more and I prefer to give the individual vendor my business since they seem more friendly.

11Aug08

Grippers - #2 - MMS singles about 25, MMS with 5sec holds about 10, MMS with 10sec holds about 5

Bending DO - 60d, 9mm x 7" HRS, 7mm x 5" CRS - failed got to about 90deg

Bending Reverse - 7mm x 7" CRS

Weather has been bad lately - rained for about a week straight. I had to go out of town for a few days and did a little light work during that time with my CoC #1, Powerball & rubber bands for extensor work. Yesterday I had to wait at the bus stop for 4 hours while the wife did some shopping. The above gripper work with the #2 and bending was done during the wait. I wasn't writing things down like I normally do so those are my best estimates. I did a lot of closes with my #2 (more than I ever have in one day). Today my hands are sore so it must have done some good. Looking forward to getting back into the routine again.

Thanks for the reply Klesen. I'm an American living in the Philippines. I'm currently not employed but trying to get comfortable with an early retirement (I decided life was too short to spend it working :tongue ). I buy rice from the "open market" here which is common in all third world countries. I could get it from a grocery store like I would in the USA but it would cost more and I prefer to give the individual vendor my business since they seem more friendly.

Grippers - #2 - MMS singles about 25, MMS with 5sec holds about 10, MMS with 10sec holds about 5

Well, that "time-killing-situation"sometimes happens to me too and I guess life would be even more comfortable without having your wife go shopping for 4 hours :D Anyways I've been confused about your job but right now I remember that you're living there. I've never been to the Philipines or to the US but I also dislike big stores where you're treated like one of thousands. :angry: Nice gripping by the way :happy

14Aug08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R&L 30# - 2sec, 25# - 5sec, 30# - L 4sec R 1sec

IM Hub - R&L 30# - 5sec, , 40# - 5sec, 50# - R 3sec L Failed, 45# - 1sec, 40# - 5sec

3" Pinch Block - R&L 45# - 5sec, 50# - 5sec, 55# - 1sec, 50# - 5sec, 45# - 5sec

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R&L 75# - 3sec, 70# - 5sec, 75# - 5sec

Grippers - R&L #2 - MMS with 5sec hold x 3

Felt like forever since I did any pinch work. Had some pain between my right thumb and index (not sure how it got injured) but it only seemed to hurt on the gripper so I cut back there. Felt a bit weak on the 3" PVC pipe and couldn't hold it for the usual 10sec. I'll wait and see how my hand feels and adjust my next workout around that (bending is off limits in my current state).