Gumpster's Gripping

gumpster

After much deliberating I've finally decided to start a log. Odin suggested it some months back but I didn't feel the time was right. I'm a bit of a stick in appearance so this might be inspiring for other skinny guys out there. Yesterday I had a "bender's high" (like a runner's high for those who know) and I think that pushed me over the edge.

I figure a little background won't hurt so here it goes... I have zero experience in strength sports/training, only endurance sports (mid/long distance running, bicycling, race-walking). I'm not new to training hard, getting sore and pushing through discomfort (I've got 8 full marathons under my belt and countless 5K/10K races). I ran cross country/track in high school and kept my interest in endurance sports all through my 20s. At 29 I crashed hard while mountain biking and suffered compression fractures on my T9/10 vertebrae and a bit of damage to my right shoulder (fortunately I wasn't alone as I couldn't walk and was far from help). I spent 6 weeks in the hospital with a torso cast and months following in a plastic brace and going through physical therapy. The end result is the doctors can't do much for me and I have back pain from the time I wake up until I go to bed. So I've learned to live with it (what they refer to as "sucking it up" :dry ) and though it may get worse as I get older I'm not planning to sit idle and wait for it to creep up on me. No more risky mountain biking but I still enjoy the activity. I've cut back on physical activity the past few years and was looking for something to renew my interest when I happened upon the mashmonster web site. I read about these heavy duty grippers and was hooked. The grip related stuff seemed like a good fit since it shouldn't tax my back too much and so far it hasn't. In January 2007 I got a CoC #2 and played with it a couple times a week for 6 months before I got it closed. Just about that time I joined this board and discovered there was much more to grip than just grippers.

I should note that I am currently living in the Philippines (early retirement) though I am American. There is nothing near my current location that resembles a gym or that is worth paying to use. I currently have no barbell, dumbbells, rack or other traditional weightlifting equipment. I was able to get a few weight plates (total of 75lbs) in the nearest city and haul them on a bus back here. I have limited income so adding more equipment won't happen very often.

As much as I would like to attend a grip competition in other parts of the world it seems a remote possibility at this time. As far as I know there are no grip enthusiasts in this entire country of 90 million or so. I may have to start my own competition here at some point down the road.

Vital Statistics

Grip Training Since: Jan 2007

Weight: 160-165

Height: 6'4"

Hand Length: 8.25"

Foot Length: 1 foot (no really 12" - size 14)

I have some pics in my gallery here and videos on YouTube.

As far as goals go, I would like to just get better at everything grip related and keep setting PRs. Like many aspiring gripsters I'd like to close the #3 (become a MM0) and bend a red/bastard but there's no rush. Being good at most stuff and great at none would suit me just fine. I've never been the type to take the lead in anything I do...I have a pile of 2nd place trophies/medals to prove it. :blush To quote the demotivators - "For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them." Not everyone can be Gazza but he and guys like him can inspire us to reach new PRs.

I try to work out on Wednesday & Sunday when possible. Wednesday is my wrist/gripper/bending day and Sunday is the pinch/gripper day. I just started bending last month and I think the extra rest day between Wednesday and Sunday will be much needed.

19Mar08

stacker lift - L/R 10/15/20/25# holds for 5 seconds (barely got right at 25#)

grippers - L/R #1 5reps/2sets, #2 TNS & hold for 5 seconds 1rep/2sets, #2.5 MMS & hold for 5 seconds 1rep/2sets, #3 in choker at 29mm spread, several attempts...not even close :( ...I did this last week so I'm not sure what's up.

8# sledge - L/R front holds choked up 18/16/14" for 5 seconds each

8# sledge - L/R rear holds choked up 16/14/12" for 5 seconds each (I find myself leaning forward weaver stick style as it gets harder)

8# sledge - L/R side lever choked up 20" both directions 3sets/1rep (done sitting with forearm supported on thigh)

8# sledge - L/R overhead lever 2sets/1rep (working on keeping arm level and straight)

reverse wrist curls - 10/12.5# for 3reps (using 3" PVC hooked to loading pin)

wrist curls - 25/30# for 5reps, 35# for 3reps (using 3" PVC hooked to loading pin)

bending - 5mm x 5.5", 6mm x 7", 6mm x 6", 6mm x 5", 60d, cut 60d @5.5", 7mm x 7", 7mm x 6.75"

(mostly DO, one 6mm piece was done DU, and the 7mm x 7" was kinked a bit using reverse then finished DO)

A bit of a breakthrough in my bending. Just two weeks ago it was all I could do to get the 60d finished in 15 minutes or so and I barely kinked the 7mm stock I bought "for the future" ...that all changed yesterday. I did my regular 5 & 6mm warm-up pieces then thought I'd have a battle with the 60d again to finish things. The planets aligned...or my forearms aligned, but something clicked today and I got the 60d in probably less than 30 seconds. Maybe I finally found my "strong spot" or got my form correct. I wish I knew what it was but I just hope it stays.

Anyway, I decided to push on and loaded up a 60d I had cut the ends off to make it 5.5" - again no problem (less than a minute). I was pretty satisfied at this point but decided to see if I could put a little more kink in the 7mm bar I had barely moved 2 weeks ago. Something just felt right and I got it down and crushed to under 2" in less than a minute. I had only brought one other bar with me and it was 7mm x 6.75" (just a little shorter but not kinked)...so into the wraps it went. Once again I got it mangled in less than a minute (a bit off center even). Incredible feeling it was! I kind of wished I had some shorter stock to give a go, but I'm glad I didn't now as I feel the aching in my arms/hands that I was expecting. I think doing more would have been overkill. I hope I feel like this next week - the 6" is going on the chopping block. :rock

P.S. My Wednesday workout used to be my least favorite but that seems to be changing now that I've added bending. :D

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gumpster

• ewokhugo

• Griparn

• easyWeight

Top Posters In This Topic

Great start to your log Gumpster. I think it will be good for you to do this, as you don't have anyone locally to meet up with.

I expect you will become the first COC residing in the Philippines. You really show a great deal of ability with the grippers, your hubbing and are off to a great start bending.

There are a lot of guys who've surpassed previous bests after serious back surgery/fusion (I believe Laine Snook fits that category), so who knows what might happen over time with slow and careful progression. It'd be great if you could continue to rig up some more contraptions for weight lifting.

I hope we can retire and live in the Philippines as well, but it'll probably be 2026 or later before that can happen, and it'll likely be near Maasin (So. Leyte).

Nice detailed log! I will follow this log :)

Gumpster has great potential, especially with crush-I think he'll be closing some grippers withing the next year or two that will shock you.

Gumpster, could I post that description re:bending here that you sent me in a PM (or could you copy & paste it here)? I found it fascinating, but am not going to share PMs without permission.

23Mar08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R/L 20/25# hold 5 sec, 30# hold 3 sec, 35# broke ground

IM Hub - R/L 20/25/30/35# hold 5 sec, 40# R 5 sec/L only 3 sec, 45# broke ground

3" Pinch Block - R/L 40/45/50# hold 5 sec, 55# hold 3 sec, 60# broke ground

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - 60/75/75# hold for 10 sec (I do this with my middle finger just touching the bolt but not past it. I really need more weight as this is a bit too easy - or maybe a bigger piece of pipe.)

Grippers - L/R #1 - 5 full reps, #2 - TNS 1 rep, #2.5 - TNS attempt got it to 1/4", MMS w/5 sec hold x 1rep/3sets, #3 in choker at 27mm spread - got to 1/4" (feel like I lost some strength in the closing range - possibly due to bending?, will try again next workout then change something)

3" PVC Pipe Reverse Wrist Curls - 10# 5reps, 12.5# for 3reps

3" PVC Pipe Wrist Curls - 30# for 5reps, 35# for 3reps

@Odin - You're welcome to post what you like from my PM. I don't think I said anything that I wouldn't mind saying in public. :)

Good grippin'! :) You're doing well with the grippers I think. Im thinking of buying an IM hub, do you think it's worth it?

Good grippin'! :) You're doing well with the grippers I think. Im thinking of buying an IM hub, do you think it's worth it?

Thanks - I'm trying to get that #3 by the end of the year (MMS). Yeah, I think the IM hub is worth it. I was using a PVC homemade one for a couple months before I got the IM one and I found the IM hub to be much harder to grab (the weight I was able to lift dropped by about 20# also). It's easier to compare yourself to others and the results from competitions since it seems to be more commonly used. I don't own any plates with hubs so the original feat on which the hub is based (lifting a 45# plate by the hub) might be easier or harder than the IM hub...only those who have tried both will know for sure. I'd love to see a video of the world record lift with 73#. :ohmy

Thanks for the tips! I will probably buy the IM soon, its also quite cheap, especially when the dollar is going down :p

Who have the WR btw? Im impressed by Karl Norberg who I think lifted 65 lb at age 70+ :blink

Im sure you'll close the #3 by this year! You seems to be pretty close already with the 27mm set in choker.

26Mar08

Stacker Lift - L/R 15/20/25/26.25# holds for 5 seconds

Weaver Stick - L/R front 2.5/3.75#, rear 5/6.25# (1 rep)

Grippers - L/R #1 5reps/1set (I did probably 40 closes earlier in the day while waiting for the wife to shop), #2 TNS & hold for 5 seconds 1rep/1set, #2.5 MMS & hold for 5 seconds 1rep/3sets, #3 in choker at 27mm spread - 2 attempts. got it within just a few mm right and slightly more left ...felt stronger than the last couple workouts so I'll leave it at 27mm for now.

8# Sledge - L/R front holds choked up 16/14/12" for 5 seconds each

8# Sledge - L/R rear holds choked up 14/12/10" for 5 seconds each

8# Sledge - L/R side lever choked up 20/18/18" both directions 1rep (done sitting with forearm supported on thigh)

8# Sledge - L/R overhead lever 2sets/1rep (working on keeping arm level and straight)

Reverse Wrist Curls - L/R 10/12.5# 5reps, 15# 2reps (using 3" PVC hooked to loading pin)

Wrist Curls - L/R 25/30# 5reps, 35# 4reps (using 3" PVC hooked to loading pin)

Bending - 5mm x 5", 6mm x 7", 6mm x 5.5", 60d, 7mm x 6" PR :D

(all DO except 6mm x 7" which was reverse then finished DO) The 60d seemed a little tougher than last week but I got the 7mm down in less than a minute - felt good about that. I probably should have stopped while I was ahead but figured I'd give a couple cut 60d nails a shot - gave a 4" all I had and kinked it to about 20deg but couldn't get it further. Then I tried a 5" ...only about 15deg. < < My hands were dead...still aching as I type this.

30Mar08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R/L 20# hold 5 sec, 25# hold 2-3 sec, 30# barely broke ground

IM Hub - R/L 20/25/30/35# hold 5 sec, 40# broke ground

3" Pinch Block - R/L 40/45# hold 5 sec, 50# hold 2-3 sec

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R/L 60/75/75# hold for 10 sec (I do this with my middle finger just touching the bolt but not past it. I really need more weight as this is a bit too easy - or maybe a bigger piece of pipe.)

Grippers - R/L #1 - 5 full reps, #2 - TNS 1rep 2sets, #2.5 - TNS attempt got it to 3-4mm (best so far), #2.5 MMS w/5 sec hold x 1rep/3sets, #3 in choker at 27mm spread - got to 4-5mm x 3 attempts

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R/L 12.5# 5reps, 13.75# for 3reps, 15# 1rep

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R/L 30# for 5reps, 35# for 3reps, 40# R only 1rep

Pinch felt weak today but grippers felt a little better.

Good work with the grippers. Almost TNS the #2.5 is impressive!! The pinch block is it similar to the IM pinch block?

Good work with the grippers. Almost TNS the #2.5 is impressive!! The pinch block is it similar to the IM pinch block?

Thanks, I think I might get the 2.5 TNS in another month or two. The pinch block is the same size as the IM block I think 6" x 6" x 3" but the corners are a bit rounded on the IM block from what I can tell. I had it made locally at a machine shop since it was cheaper than having one shipped here. I painted it so I don't use any chalk.

2Apr08

Stacker Lift - L/R 15/20# holds for 5 seconds, tried 25# after bending but couldn't even get air

Grippers - L/R #1 3reps/1set (did around 30 closes earlier in the day while waiting for the wife to shop), #2 TNS & hold for 5 seconds 1rep/2sets, #2.5 MMS & hold for 5 seconds 1rep/3sets, #3 in choker at 27mm spread - 2 attempts, best was 3mm R and 5mm L.

8# Sledge - L/R front holds choked up 12/10/8" for 5 seconds each (only got R at 8" for a second or two)

8# Sledge - L/R rear holds choked up 12/6/4" for 5 seconds each

8# Sledge - L/R side lever choked up 20/18/18" both directions 1rep (done sitting with forearm supported on thigh)

8# Sledge - L/R overhead lever 1set/1rep

I haven't really tested my limits recently on the sledge work and pushed the front/rear a bit today. It was a nice surprise to see some improvement. I think I'll be at the end of the handle for the rear holds in a few months since the stresses are similar to the overhead levering.

Plate Wrist Curls - L/R 20# plate 2reps/1set (last time I tried this I barely got 1rep)

Reverse Wrist Curls - L/R 12.5# 5reps/1set, 13.75# 3reps/1set, 15# 3reps/1set (using 3" PVC hooked to loading pin)

Wrist Curls - L/R 25/30/35# 5reps/1set (using 3" PVC hooked to loading pin)

Bending - 5mm x 5" DO, 5mm x 5.5" DU, 6mm x 7" Reverse, 6mm x 5.5" DO, 60d DO, 7mm x 7" Reverse, 7mm x 5.5" DO

I tried to get some good variety on bending today with different styles. The 60d was a different brand from the old ones I have bent and it seemed a bit tougher. I felt strong on the 7mm x 7" using reverse and was looking forward to the PR bar (7mm x 5.5") I had set aside. It started good even though it was tough and I got it kinked to about 90deg in the first minute. I figured this would be enough to start on the crush down but it wasn't. I couldn't move it. I went back to DO and adjusted the wraps and hand position to give my fingers clearance. Battled it for a while and got it to move a little. I was well over the 5min mark but didn't want to quit and give up on this beast. I had trouble with my fingers slipping while trying to interlock for a crush down (got pretty sweaty) and my wraps were a bit too loose I think...on top of that I forgot to bring my chalk with me. Just before 18 minutes had elapsed I got it under 2" and my hands were killing me. This was a new PR bend but I think the real PR was in my ability to endure the pain for that long. The crush down was nasty and my hands are aching. I also feel some soreness in my chest. I'll feel great in a couple days. :D

Edited by gumpster

6Apr08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R/L 20# hold 5 sec, 25# hold 2-3 sec

IM Hub - R/L 25/30/35/40# hold 5 sec, 45# got 2-3 sec L and 5sec R (PR), tried 50# and barely broke ground

3" Pinch Block - R/L 40/45/50# hold 5 sec, 55# hold 2-3 sec both hands

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R/L 60/70/75/75# hold for 10 sec

Grippers - R/L #1 - 5 full reps, #2 - TNS 1rep 2sets, #2.5 MMS w/5 sec hold x 1rep/4sets, #3 in choker at 27mm spread - got to 5mm L & 2mm R x 3 attempts

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R/L 13.75# 3reps, 15# for 3reps, 16.25# 2reps

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R/L 30# for 3reps, 35# for 3reps, 40# R 2reps L 1rep

Plate Wrist Curls - L/R 20# plate 1rep/1set

Couldn't get a good grip on the chunk today but I tried to push most of the other stuff more than usual. The highlight was with the IM Hub...just felt strong on that today and got a PR lifting 45# with both hands. :D Broke ground with 50# so I may get to cross that goal off pretty soon. Grippers still feel like I'm stagnating and just treading water but I guess I can't expect to improve every week. I might go back and try my old washer choker on the #3 which narrows the spread a few mm. It's been a few weeks since I made the handles touch on the #3 and I'm not comfortable with that.

Your hubbing is going great! Very impressive! :) I think you should try to put the gripper work first and see if you might be able to squeze a little harder.

What's the FBBC chunk btw?

I hope you're enjoying keeping the log Gumpster, I like to read it.

Great work on the hubbing; I know I'm nowhere near that weight on the IM hub.

Your youtube video (

) was very helpful in bringing your log to life.

As long as you are hitting the thickbar, pinch and doing a well-rounded grip workout with progressively increasing weights, your grippers should improve slowly over time.

Your hubbing is going great! Very impressive! :) I think you should try to put the gripper work first and see if you might be able to squeze a little harder.

What's the FBBC chunk btw?

Yeah, today was a great hub day. I think if I hadn't done so much before I might have given 50# a little air time. Maybe next week. That's the thing about my workouts I don't really sit idle much and wait between sets. The stuff I listed is done all mixed up, not necessarily in that order. I may do a hub lift, then gripper, then chunk, etc. I feel like sitting doing nothing is wasting my time so I try to keep busy. Maybe I should rest more between stuff and/or try doing one type of exercise then moving on to the next. I'd have to add an hour to my workout and I don't know if I want to do that yet.

The "Chunk" is a device made by FBBC to help train for lifting the Blob just like the IM Hub is a simulation of the plate lifting by the hub.

Chunk description & picture

@Odin - Yeah, I like being able to look back and see what I did a couple weeks back (my memory would fail me for sure). I think keeping a log is motivating me to push things a bit more than I otherwise would. When I started grip training and only had my CoC #2 it didn't really seem like I was "working out"...I just sat there squeezing the gripper a couple dozen times about twice a week. I didn't really have a routine down. Now I do, since I've added so many more exercises and have to give myself rest (from bending especially).

The strange thing is the way stuff just feels on some days. Today I felt like I "owned" the hub but everything else was uneventful. A couple weeks back I was in a groove on the Chunk. I enjoy the variety and as long as I can remain injury free I think I can at least maintain strength levels on everything while making small gains here and there. If I get to the point where I feel like I'm sliding back and can't close the #2.5 (for example) then I may have to change things. I try to alter the weights/set types every workout just a little to keep it fresh. :happy

Edited by gumpster

I've ben eyeing up the Chunk as a cheap way to train for the blob. How is the texture on it? Some very nice work your doing by the way.

I've ben eyeing up the Chunk as a cheap way to train for the blob. How is the texture on it? Some very nice work your doing by the way.

I never got any input from another Chunk owner/user but based on what I have read I'd guess the Chunk is quite a bit harder than most Blobs (at least the heavier ones - 40#+). There is very little in the way of texture on it. It's really slick so that can either frustrate the hell out of you or make you work harder to get it lifted with the added challenge. I've never had the opportunity to play with a Blob but I'd guess that lifting 35-40# in plates would be comparable on the Chunk to lifting the 50# Blob (assuming you have it set to the same width/slope as the Blob like I have). Chalk just makes it worse so I keep my hands and the gripping areas clean. I own a Blob50 (bought through GordonV) but my parents are currently using it as a doorstop back in the USA until I get the chance to come get it and haul it back here.

Thanks for the input. The slickness seems to be the general concensus. By the way that is one expensive doorstop! Keep up the good work.

I own a Blob50 (bought through GordonV) but my parents are currently using it as a doorstop back in the USA until I get the chance to come get it and haul it back here.

Gumpster, Have you looked into Balikbayan boxes? They charge by the box sent to the Philippines, not weight. I don't think there is a weight limit as long as your box can handle it, maybe you could get an Inch and your BLOB50. :)

I own a Blob50 (bought through GordonV) but my parents are currently using it as a doorstop back in the USA until I get the chance to come get it and haul it back here.

Gumpster, Have you looked into Balikbayan boxes? They charge by the box sent to the Philippines, not weight. I don't think there is a weight limit as long as your box can handle it, maybe you could get an Inch and your BLOB50. :)

No, I hadn't looked into it. I have my doubts that they would let me get away with sticking heavy metal objects inside or that it would survive the trip. Maybe if I put the Blob in the center surrounded by foam it could be done. I'm not in a rush and I bet it's still not cheap so it can wait. An Inch? Those are harder to come by than Blobs. :laugh

9Apr08

Stacker Lift - L/R 20/25# holds for 5 seconds, tried 26.25# got it left but right wouldn't move

Grippers - L/R #1 3reps/1set 5reps/1set(did around 30 closes earlier in the day while waiting for the wife to shop...this is pretty much a routine)

L/R #2 TNS & hold for 5 seconds 1rep/2sets

L/R #2.5 MMS & hold for 5 sec 1rep, 10sec 1rep, in choker at parallel 5reps 1set

L/R #3 in choker at 27mm spread - 2 attempts, around 3mm R and 6mm L.

8# Sledge - L/R front holds choked up 14/12/10" for 5 seconds

8# Sledge - L/R rear holds choked up 10/8/6" for 5 seconds

8# Sledge - L/R overhead lever 1rep/2sets

Weaver Stick - L/R - front 3.75# 1rep, tried 5# failed

Weaver Stick - L/R - rear 5/6.25# 1rep

Plate Wrist Curls - 20# plate 4reps L, 2reps R

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - L/R 12.5# 3reps/1set, 13.75# 3reps/1set, 15# 3reps/1set (using 3" PVC hooked to loading pin)

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - L/R 30/32.5/35# 3reps/1set

Bending - 5mm x 5" DO, 6mm x 7" DU, 6mm x 7" Reverse, 60d DO, 7mm x 7" Reverse, 7mm x 7" DO, 7mm x 7" DU (barely kinked it...then I finished it DO), 6mm x 5.75" DU, 60d cut to 5" DO (from a previous workout where I was able to kink it to 15deg)...this thing is a beast! I got it to around 90deg after a 15 minute battle.

I have been focusing more on DO style the past few weeks so I decided to hit the others a bit more today. The 6mm x 7" pieces were good warm-ups for DU & reverse. The 7mm x 7" reverse was tough and took me several minutes to get it past 40deg. I didn't rest after that but immediately stuffed another piece of the same stock in my wraps and went at it DO...really hard but got it in a minute or two. 7mm x 7" DU is pretty much impossible at the moment - the way it hits the wrists just makes them feel weak. I had a 6mm piece at 5.75" so I tried that DU and got it without too much trouble. Not sure where my DU limit is just yet (maybe 6mm x 5"). I think 7mm x 6.5" would give me good battle reverse style. I'm not sure where to head with DO...load up another 7mm x 5.5" piece and see if I can kill it quicker or maybe try a 5.75" and see how it goes.

After all the main workout was done I dug out the cut 60d (5") I tried a couple weeks back that stumped me at 15deg. I had a big battle with that for a good 15 minutes and only got it to 90deg. I'm finding that I have trouble keeping my fingers from smashing each other on the shorter stuff. I tried sliding the wraps in all positions but couldn't find any that gave me enough room to do much (maybe thinner wraps would help). I wasn't able to do anything to this little piece trying to crush it down from around 90deg. We'll battle again another day. Hands are beat up.

Good workout! :) It's intresting that you're about equally strong with both hands on the grippers. You'll close it from that distance very soon Im sure!

I see you also do much bending, do you think it effect the other gripexercises? I wonder because I would like to add some bending into my workouts as I think Im extremely bad at it.

Btw, got any thick dumbell made and what diameter will you do? :)

Good workout! :) It's intresting that you're about equally strong with both hands on the grippers. You'll close it from that distance very soon Im sure!

I see you also do much bending, do you think it effect the other gripexercises? I wonder because I would like to add some bending into my workouts as I think Im extremely bad at it.

Btw, got any thick dumbell made and what diameter will you do? :)

Thanks! I'm trying to avoid the unbalanced gripping hands. My right is slightly stronger but my left seems to reach the same goals about 1 month later (I closed the #2.5 right out of the package on 29Dec07, then on 29Jan08 I got it left).

Well, most folks seem to agree that bending will hurt gripper progress. Since I started bending I feel like my maximum crushing strength took a little hit (haven't closed my #3 in a choker since I started bending with some intensity). My gains in all areas may be a bit slower, but I'm enjoying the bending so I don't want to give it up just to make faster progress on grippers or some other aspect of hand strength. I haven't really noticed any negative affects to my pinch strength.

No, I don't have a dumbbell bar yet. I plan to get one in a couple months and I think I'll do a 3" mod to it. I've been using a 3" PVC part for other exercises and I like that size. Plus, I only have 75# in plates so the bigger the bar the less weight I'll need to make it challenging. ;)

On a side note - I'm sore from elbows to finger tips today but I find that I sleep really well after a hard grip workout.

13Apr08 (all weights are plates only - apparatus/clip/loading pin not included)

FBBC Chunk - R/L 20# hold 5 sec, 25# hold 3-4sec, 30# 1sec

IM Hub - R/L 30/35/40# hold 5 sec, 45# got 2-3sec, tried 50# and didn't break ground

3" Pinch Block - R/L 40/45/50# hold 5 sec, 55# hold 3-4sec, 60# 1sec

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt - R/L 70/75/75# hold for 10 sec

Grippers - R/L #1 - 3 full reps, #2 - TNS hold for 5sec, #2.5 MMS w/5 sec hold, #2.5 TNS attempt got to 1/4", #3 MMS attempt got to 1/4" R/1cm L (PR on both) x 3 attempts but did no better

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Reverse Wrist Curls - R/L 13.75# 3reps, 15# 3reps, 16.25# 3reps

3" PVC Pipe w/eye bolt Wrist Curls - R/L 30# 3reps, 35# 3reps, 40# failed, 36.25# 3 reps

Felt pretty good on the chunk today. Got 45# up on the hub again which felt OK. The highlight this week was with the #3 - my first attempt at a MMS in well over a month. My best before was just getting it to parallel so getting down to 1/4" right and about 1cm left is progress. I feel that when I can TNS the #2.5 I'll be right at MMS closing the #3 - the gaps are about even. My right will get it first but the left will follow shortly after. My guess is about 2-3 months more and I might get a close on the #3 if all goes well. :D