barbe705

11/17/12

warm up

DO axle

280 4x4

320 1x2

355 1

280 1x6

ham was ok. hands were tired. couldn't even get a pull for the second at 355.

11/18/12

warm up

vulcan level 15 4x1 20mm block

climber curl 5x10 50#

thingy rotations 4x10 55#

thingy front levers 35/45/55 x20

thingy rear levers 55 3x20

Hey Brent. Been following your log...

The other day, Maureen and I were watching a couple of toddlers for some friends.

At some point we moved from blocks to coloring books.

I was part way through when I realized I actually knew the subject matter.

Without further ado...

Brent and his "Thingy".

1117121728.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Like 2

Hey Brent. Been following your log...

The other day, Maureen and I were watching a couple of toddlers for some friends.

At some point we moved from blocks to coloring books.

I was part way through when I realized I actually knew the subject matter.

Without further ado...

Brent and his "Thingy".

1117121728.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HAHA!

So what...is that a 2 finger lift even though he is already missing a digit?

It does look like Brent. Lol.

at the york museum they have a challenge dumbell from an oldtime strongman(I forget who). he had it made so that his small hands barely fit. any one with a larger hand wouldn't be able to get their pinky on and the hand would be all twisted. so, a thick bar that favors small hands.

also, my singlet is tiger striped and only has one shoulder strap.

• Like 4

11/21/12

warm up

mms grippers

rb 240(148)x2

coc#3 old (152) 4x2

2hp

50x5

100x3

120x2

225 miss(something was jacked up in my thumb when I woke up. held me back a little but,doesn't hurt anymore.

blocks 50/50+5x3

even with my thumb jacked up I pulled 220 pretty easy. I think I should be good for 235 at least at gripmas. it will really come down to picking my attempts.

11/28/12

warm up

rb 260 5x5(136#)

2hp 5x5 190#

i was supposed to do vulcan and wrist but, I switched. I think 2hp and grippers are harder to recover from and also a lot harder on the skin.

my elbows and shoulders are both killing me. I hope the deloading before gripmas helps that.

11/29/12

inch rows 110# 5x4

getting ready to deload for gripmas. ready for the break.

• 2 weeks later...

11/9/12

gripmas.

I was hoping to hit some big pr's in the 2hp, axle, and top in the medley and scale weight holds.

thursday or friday morning I woke up with a pain in my right hand. I didn't think too much of it because I had been having weird pains in different stuff that come out of no where and clear up pretty quick. this did not. the morning of gripmas I couldn't pick up the coffee pot. it was ok then extremely painful. it seemed to be based on elbow or wrist angle. at the comp it felt like I was ok on the lift but letting go hurt. it really screwed me up in the medley and scale weight hold.

grippers 175#?? maybe the 179. less than last year when I got 185. and I'm a lot stronger on grippers now.

2hp. 232.......a 2# pr for the first time in 2 years. and after 2 years of paul knight being ahead of me on the top 50 list by .09# I am back above him.

axle I hit 376. I was stuck on the axle for 3 years?? maybe 2.5. it seams like I just need to work my deadlift a bit and I have more in me. I think I will be going back to conv stance. sumo has felt wrong for a while and it really felt wrong at the comp.

medley was exhausting and very painful.

scale holds should have been longer. I think using my left hand would have been the smart move.

so, this morning I looked around about my hand. it's an ulnar nerve impingement. the description is dead on. and, the way it deforms your hand... my hand could be in a text book. I've had some minor issues with this for a while but, never this kind of pain. it seems like PT should be able to deal with it and I started that as well as I can on my own. I'll be trying to get an appointment tomorrow. it's still really painful today and I can't believe I never noticed that I have "claw hand" before. it seems like it's a combo of the hand stuff I do, the fact that I sleep with my arms over my head, bent, and the crappy typing set up(that I'm using right now). we're going to get a new chair this week, should put the keyboard in a better position if I'm not 6" too low.

I'm hoping for a miracle recovery so I can hit the MM3 this week. we'll see what happens, I hit it either way.

Here is a conversation i just had with my best friend:

Me to Moose: Did you have a ulnar nerve impingement?

: Yeah y?

Me: My buddy has one he says, did you try therapy first? Or right to surgery?

: Tried everything it bugged me for 3yrs the last straw was when I lost my wedding ring on fathers day

Me: That sucks, how do you think you did it?

: Just the repetitive work I do at usps

Me: Thats how he got it, repetive, I guess

: Tell him not to get cut

: I lost 25% in left arm

Me: He wants to do therapy

: Do it

Me: What you lost 25% strength?

: Yep

Me: That blows, ill tell him

Me: Thanks brother

from what I read surgery is most likely going to result in damage to other nerves. When my back was injured I was told surgery was my only real option. I did PT instead. my back is essentially fine now. I'm hoping this will be the same but, faster.

Crazy about the ulnar nerve impingement. I've had a pain on the left side for probably 2 years that never really changes or goes away. Your comment about that you never noticed you had "claw hand" got me thinking so I searched about it as well. My left hand at rest the ring and pinky fingers are slightly curled. The right hand is not that way! Hmm...

Congrats on the 2HP PR! Something to celebrate at least.

as zach said,"why is your hand like that?"

pain is so much better today. I'll will continue to do as much as I can until I see the doc. which is to say:

1. see doc

2. get MRI

3. go back to see doc about MRI

4. go to PT and actually start to get better.

5. drink to deal with frustration since you don't have to make weight for a comp for a while and don;t worry about it since you were 10# under even though your scale said you were right there.

Crazy about the ulnar nerve impingement. I've had a pain on the left side for probably 2 years that never really changes or goes away. Your comment about that you never noticed you had "claw hand" got me thinking so I searched about it as well. My left hand at rest the ring and pinky fingers are slightly curled. The right hand is not that way! Hmm...

Congrats on the 2HP PR! Something to celebrate at least.

12/11/12

pain is still better than it was. muscle that was tense is less tense.

I think that I am having some restored nerve function already. it's a very unpleasenmt itchy feeling in the ring finger and pinky. I guess that's a good sign. not very pleasent though.

so, I went to the doc today for my hand. nothing. if it gets worse over the next month go back. I'm going to keep up with the PT I was able to find on my own and hope it gets better or, gets so bad they do something for it.

so, I went to the doc today for my hand. nothing. if it gets worse over the next month go back. I'm going to keep up with the PT I was able to find on my own and hope it gets better or, gets so bad they do something for it.

Hey man. I've no idea if you have any access to a pool, or even if this would help at all, but as a former competitive swimmer, I keep thinking that sculling might be worth a shot.

Here's a YT link that goes over the process. ATB.

12/15/12
inch rows 110# 5x4

12/16/12
axle cleans 9x2 155???

hand has been okay for training so far. haven't tried a full grip session since the MM3.

just watched the video. that looks like it could only help with restoring function to my wrist. I do have access to the work pool. I have no idea what the hours are like though. I'll have to check it out.

12/18/12

warm up

mms 5x5 bbsm(138#)

2hp(62mm) allx5

195 4x5

62mm felt big but good. I'm going to train at different widths for a while and test new thicknesses in a bit. grippers were good to.

50 hex +5# 3x1

dynamic board 2x20 fingers touching.

Hey Brent I just now came across the vid that inspired me to make up my board pinch and I thought you might want to check it out, Brookfield lays it all out.

Check out this video on YouTube:

12/26/12

5x5 ccs 136# RB gripper

wrist roller 50# 5x60sec

wrists thingy 3x10 55#

12/28/12

warm up

mms coc#3 6x4(146#)

2hp 4x5 200#

rough night this took quite a while. left hand was way off on grippers.

1/1/13

warm up

ccs 6x4 136# rb 210

block weights 45/50/55/blob negs 5x1

trainer rep out left 44 right 57