Braced Bending Rules And Levels

David Horne

Ben,

Great stuff, just keep working at it and trying all the styles.

Re. your bend - All bending claims of 1/2 " width bar from 18" length and above should be accompanied with a video (Youtube, gripboard, sent to me, etc) unless it was done in a ratified contest, or of course I've viewd it. Wasn't sure if this was a claim or training talk so I thought I'd point it out.

Anyway, I know you video some bends, so video whatever bend you want me to see.

Keep up the good work,

David

Thanks David. I am glad I'm at the point where it has to be videoed because that's some progress. I'll get video probably when I'm around the 16" and under mark. That might be a while though.

Ben, I'm sure you'll get there faster then you think. I know you're strong enough for it ;)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• Tim71

• wscorpion

• bencrush

I agree with Mark. Ben, I think you'll progress really good as you get the hang of it. 18 inches is already an outstanding bend. That's why you need the vid.

Tim

Almost got a 5/8"X32" HRS yesterday on video. It's not even quite 90 degrees but I felt like if I could just move it a few more inches it would have gone with the added leverage. Soon. Quit at 5 minutes. Used the pulling style kink and that part was pretty easy actually. Took it somewhere around 60 degrees just with that.

Tim,

I received your DVD today, and have just watched it. All absolutely fine and in time - well done!

I will put the 3 bends up on the site. Can you give me the date?

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bracedbending.html

Tim is the KING of the braced short bars - unbelievable adduction strength of your legs!

David

David,

I'm sorry about that I meant to mention that. They were all done consecutively on 7/30/07 or July 30th. Thanks for the compliments, you made my year and thanks again for this list.

Thanks again Mark for the stock.

Tim

Congrats Tim!! :rock

Tried a 5/8" x 24" today. Couldn't find a single spot to brace it on that wasn't numb, so it kinda got stuck on 60 degrees.

Just an inch or one and a half more would probably be enough for me to at least get it further.

This one I actually started off on my thigh.

I think I definately have found the lengths I need to work with on both 5/8" and 3/4".

5/8" x 24" and 3/4" x 32".

Cheers

Mats

Wow Tim those bends are INSANE!!!! :rock What are you going to do now? Get 5/8" in some of those shorter lengths 2' and under? David's going to have to make a whole new section for you man. :rock

Edited by vikingsrule92

Thanks Mats and vikings. Mats, that 24 by 5/8 is TOUGH. I've got a piece that I couldn't finish. Felt like I was going to break my leg. 32 by 3/4 would be a phenominal bend.

Viking, the 5/8 is a huge jump up. My immediate plans are to now try to get the domestic 1/2 inch steel in the 10, 9 and 8 inch lengths. If I get those and video them then maybe they can be posted along with the 12mm ones I did. That last attempt on the 1/2 inch by 8 inch did more damage to my hands that anything else I've ever done. Took longer to heal and believe it or not it's still not 100%. After that we'll see. I've got a couple things planned with wrenches too but they may be physically impossible with what I've got in mind.

Later

Tim

Very nice work Tim!!!

Too bad we can't see the vid :(

Did you gave the 10x10 square a try already?

I failed on an 11" yesterday, but the 12" was quite easy with that stock......

Guess you should be able to bend the 8" version :rock

Mark,

Haven't tried the square but I have done 3/8 square at 8 inches and I expect the 10mm square to be easier than the 12mm round but harder than the 3/8. Your stock sure is the cleanest HRS I've ever seen.

My vid man quit on me after one vid so maybe I'll hit Scott up again. I tried getting high-speed internet the othe day and they practically laughed when they came out and scoped out the possibilities. Little too far off the beaten path.

Tim

TIM

Those are MASSIVE bends man a very BIG congrats :bow of coarse i will have to try it sometime :D

I have done a 10mms x 10mms square HRS it wont be as hard as the 1/2inch round HRS and is indeed a touch easier than the 3/8inch HRS square.

What i have noticed about the HRS stuff i have tried in the last few months compared to the stuff i messed with years ago is like you said tim its very clean were it bends and the heat takes the paint off it sometimes looks like its CRS underneath very smooth but its obviously HRS as the bend radius and lack of spring compared to the CRS give it away.

• 2 months later...

Big congrats to David and Stew!

Tim

Big congrats to David for claiming another #1 spot with the 5/8 by 27 inch bend or 16mm I should say.

Heck of a tough bend I bet.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Elizabeth and I did our final training for a show we are doing on Sunday at a weightlifting Hall of Fame dinner. Anyway, the big braced bend I tried today in practice was a 39" x 20.23mm, and boy it was work!! I got it to about 90 degrees, and just ran out of steam. Still feeling the effects of training with Nick yesterday - ache everywhere.

Well hopefully I can get it on Sunday.

Just an update on braced bending. All my other fitness, rehab, strength, bodybuilding and endurance training is going well. :D

David

• 4 months later...

Just making this thread easy to find for David when he tries the long bars today.

Go get it David! I've waited for somebody with real pulling power to try the 7/8 inch for 2 years now.

Tim