Braced Bending Rules And Levels

David Horne

sorry, should've said in my earlier post. I think this is a great addition to the bending world. Well done David :mosher

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• Tim71

• wscorpion

• bencrush

I think that's the best way to go about it David but I will say that .7 mm will make a significant difference on the shorter half inch bars like the 12 and under but like you say that's the best way to do it to keep it fair as possible.

If Mats bent a 20mm bar that short that's even more impressive. He's going to be hard to catch in that catagory.

I've just got to get a caliper (any suggestions on the most cost effective) and someway to get my vids available.

Great job David!

Tim

Well, I doubt it will make that much difference. In the US there are 3/8 = 9.5mm bars, here 10mm which actually measured to 10.12mm So that's also an increase of approx .6mm. I doubt it will make that much of a difference and on the other hand, you also have the different manufacturers which might differ a lot in strength as well.

For example, 5/16 CRS which I bought is a lot less strong then a red nail, which is also 5/16 CRS. Then we have the Bastard, which is harder then the Red and also CRS. I expect similar differences between HRS as well. So theoretically 12mm HRS could be even harder then 12.7mm HRS :tongue

As long as own purchases are accepted on such a list, there will always be differences. But since we all live across the world it's almost impossible to have a standard which is accessible for everybody. And personally I prefer having more people who can get certed then only a select few who live in that country. After all we want the gripsport to become bigger and practiced by more and more people ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

Mark,

The two 10mm bends are great - well done. I will put them up soon. I can't accept the 12mm bar bend without a full video - next time!

Glad your enjoying it.

Liamcafs,

What's your name, date, caliper width, and country for the list?

Tim,

Glad your enjoying it. I bought my digital caliper quite cheaply off ebay.

David

Mark,

The two 10mm bends are great - well done. I will put them up soon. I can't accept the 12mm bar bend without a full video - next time!

Glad your enjoying it.

Thanks David!! Of course you can't accept the 12mm one without a vid. I will make one soon, but first I will give the 12" a try. If I can bend that one I will put it on vid and let you know. The 15,7" was quite easy so better results should be coming ;)

Great job on that bend! I was sitting here trying to figure out how many inches that was. That's great!

Go for the 12"!

I do believe this is the best way to do this as I was saying.

Later,

Tim

Great job on that bend! I was sitting here trying to figure out how many inches that was. That's great!

Go for the 12"!

I do believe this is the best way to do this as I was saying.

Later,

Tim

Thanks!

I know you believe this is the best way, but you didn't feel it was comparable, hence my post :tongue

1 inch = 2.54cm so it would be something like 15.7".

I must admit I wasn't able to finish it unbraced like I did with the 10mm's, I had to use my thighs to apply additional pressure, but at least I got it quite easily ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

White scorpion,

Do you get the initial bend by pulling under your knee or pushing down over the thigh? I'm curious as to what styles people prefer. Seems to be about an even mix.

I would say I can't wait to see the vid but I probably couldn't view it anyway with my setup.

Later,

Tim

White scorpion,

Do you get the initial bend by pulling under your knee or pushing down over the thigh? I'm curious as to what styles people prefer. Seems to be about an even mix.

I would say I can't wait to see the vid but I probably couldn't view it anyway with my setup.

Later,

Tim

I did the initial kink by pulling it under my knee. This way I can use the full strength of my back and arms to kink it. If I would push it on my thigh I just lift myself up since my abs aren't strong enough to hold my upperbody down ;)

I just read the other thread about your PR at 1/2" x 10". That's really amazing!!! Hopefully I will be able to bend the 12" piece (of 12mm) but I think it will take a long way before I will be able to bend the 10" piece ;)

Nevertheless it's a nice addition to the unbraced bending since I'm struggling with the 10mm x 7" DO as we speak. 12mm bars look much more impressive even though the bend is done braced :tongue

Tim

I guess my last post didn't make it. Guess I didn't post it anyway hehe

My bar was 19.4 mm

Mats

Mark,

Thanks for the info! How did the 12 incher go?

Great bend on the sub-16!

Mats, that is an incredible bend. The force of that bar must be crazy.

Later,

Tim

Mark,

Thanks for the info! How did the 12 incher go?

Great bend on the sub-16!

Mats, that is an incredible bend. The force of that bar must be crazy.

Later,

Tim

Haven't given it a try yet. the 5/16 7" HRS already felt hard DO, so I decided not to give it a try yet. Hopefully tonight I will feel stronger ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

Bent a 14" x 1/2" (12.39MM) bar last night, with Dave Johnson and Jim Wylie watching. Very pleased with this. Tough, but fun, and not up to Tim's standards yet.

David

Bent a 14" x 1/2" (12.39MM) bar last night, with Dave Johnson and Jim Wylie watching. Very pleased with this. Tough, but fun, and not up to Tim's standards yet.

David

Nice work, put it up on your list!

Here's another bend of mine: 1/2" x 15" (12.03MM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONwg6YkMuA

I got the 14" as well, but it took too much strength to do it again, and of course my camera stopped recording during the bend, damn 3 minute time limit!!

Once I have a new camera I will record some more bends for the list, but for now this one will have to do (I hope :tongue).

Edited by White Scorpion

Mark,

Great bend!

I will put it up soon with a few other things.

Well done, and keep up the good work.

David

Nice bends! David you have to keep in mind that the 10 incher was a good night for me. My second best is 11.75 which that 1.75 inch makes alot of difference. I'd loved to have had the 10 on video but I really never thought I'd make it. We're gonna try it again real soon though. Still don't have any calipers but I may do one just for posting on youtube or gator's site.

Really nice bends!

Tim

Very nice Mark!!

I really have to practise some mid-length bending. I couldn't bend a wrench if my life depended on it :D

Tim: Do you bend wrenches the same way D.Rogers does it?

Mats

Thanks guys.

Tim, I'd love to see that vid of the 11.75" bar, I'm pretty sure I could learn from the technique ;)

@Mats, I've bent my first and only wrenches DO unbraced, but bending them braced is a whole different story, those things are much more springy then the bars. Just buy a cheap set and start from small to bigger. That's what I did at least ;)

Well Tim 11.75" is awesome as well! I can't think of cutting another 2 1/4" off the bar I bent!

All good fun.

David

David

Nice work, put it up on your list!

Here's another bend of mine: 1/2" x 15" (12.03MM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ONwg6YkMuA

I got the 14" as well, but it took too much strength to do it again, and of course my camera stopped recording during the bend, damn 3 minute time limit!!

Once I have a new camera I will record some more bends for the list, but for now this one will have to do (I hope :tongue).

Just amazing bend :rock Don't stop bending. You are gifted.

Mats and everyone else,

My best mid-length bends are done pretty much exactly the way Dennis Rogers bends his wrenches. That's the way I bend the wrenches and that's the way the 1/2 inch steel was bent. Only with the extreme bends like the 10 incher and such, I have to use a little more padding because it feels like an elephant with a peg leg standing on your hands. That style doesn't work for everyone but it's how I'm currently getting my best results.

Great job guys!

Tim

Just amazing bend :rock Don't stop bending. You are gifted.

Mats and everyone else,

My best mid-length bends are done pretty much exactly the way Dennis Rogers bends his wrenches. That's the way I bend the wrenches and that's the way the 1/2 inch steel was bent. Only with the extreme bends like the 10 incher and such, I have to use a little more padding because it feels like an elephant with a peg leg standing on your hands. That style doesn't work for everyone but it's how I'm currently getting my best results.

Great job guys!

Tim

Are you going to send that vid to David for certification? You got the vid of the 11.75 you said, then send it to him and get on that list :rock

Edited by White Scorpion

Did not measure the bar with calipers on video or measure the width between the legs at the end. It would've easily been legal by the way but I just didn't show it because David's list wasn't in existance at that time. It was a fun bend though and it came out pretty good on DVD.

I've got several more bends I want to try plus a small show coming up and I haven't got any calipers yet but when I do I'll knock one out for David's list and just mail it to him.

Later and again great bends guys!

Tim