Braced Bending Rules And Levels

David Horne

I used to always push, but that was when I was a big bencher, and hadn't had shoulder surgery. Since then I really only do Inclines for chest, but do a lot of lat work.

It is useful to train on various styles, and there are many, and of course many different bends to do. Just don't overdo it on ones that cause you a physical problem.

David

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• Tim71

• wscorpion

• bencrush

David and Gazza,

I do agree on the different styles. As a matter of fact in my session last night I tried a 24 inch 5/8 inch bar and I got a good knee pull but I couldn't finish it. I use the knee pull for bars somewhere between 18 and 22 inches and longer. I also, tried a bar around my neck with good results. I think that could build you up fast.

Tim

Tim,

Yes we all seem stronger in certain areas - fascinating really!

I just tried a 10.5" x 1/2" bar and got it to a 27 degree bend. This was done under the knee, then I tried all styles after this including your inbetween leg style to no avail. You are mega strong in that area, I thought my adductors were gonna blow on that! :tongue

All fun though.

David

blimey I'm so knackered now

I nearly got the 3/4" x 32" to 90 degrees. That was the hardest stuff I've ever done.

And it was 3.5" offcenter, which didn't exactly help.

Next time!

*half dead* Mats

No wonder you're tired - crazy performance!

Well done, it'll be there another day.

David

Wow! Man that's crazy to get any kind of bend in that piece of steel. When I was at my long bar peak my PR was a whole foot longer than that! Shortest I've ever got a partial bend of about 35 degrees was 40 inches and that felt nuts but to go another 8 inches off that is just plain silly. You've got to have an insane knee pull.

You'll get it and I bet you are dead after an attempt like that.

I think you've got the long bar list locked up for the immediate future.

Tim

David, it's lame to put this on here after the monster benders...but I bent a 1/2"X22" HRS yesterday in less than 5 minutes and ended at under 2". I've got to build up quite a bit of strength, which I plan on doing slowly. Meanwhile I'm just enjoying the braced bending.

Great job Ben! I have no doubt that you will climb to the top just as you did with the unbraced.

Your last sentence says it all buddy.

Tim

Ben,

Well done - your on the list with a few others done yesterday. Once you find your strong and weak points you'll improve quickly. I got a 12" x 1/2" bar to 43 degrees yesterday, but then I just ran out of strength at that area. I haven't got the leg adductor strength Tim has, it felt like I would blow something! :whacked

New bends

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bracedbending.html

David

Man I better get that 32" x 3/4" piece before Ben starts taking braced bending seriously!!! ;)

Preferably bent in my mouth :D

A norwegian strongman who has specialized in mouthbending recently did a 10 mm (7/16") flat bar in his mouth. 3 feet long

Good job Ben!!

Mats

Edited by Mats Erik

David, thanks for putting my bend up! And thanks Mats! I don't think either of you will be worrying about me for a long time. It is a lot of fun though. Please congratulate Elizabeth for me on her monster 5/8"X36" HRS bend David. I failed on that twice today. Got the first one to 3.5" and just couldn't get it to stop springing back from there. The 2nd one was about 5".

I will probably rest a little longer and try to go a bit shorter on the 1/2" HRS. Now it might feel easy compared to that 5/8" HRS.

Edit: I see that Elizabeth did a 38" section and not 36" like I thought. She's still the Grip Queen. There is no shame to me in knowing that if we had a grip contest between her and me that I would most likely be standing on the lower podium. She's a total badass.

Ben,

I like the 'total badass' - I'll tell her that when she comes down. :laugh

For the 24-48" bars you only need to bend it to 11" or under between the legs, check rule #5.

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bracedbending.html

Hope this helps,

David

Thanks! Oh holy crap! :whacked I read and then reread those rules and missed that 11" rule every time. That is great news. I was wondering how the heck you guys got these things so bound up. Well in that case, may I be added to the 5/8"X36" HRS list? Both were under 11". This is getting to be expensive. But I'm now going to buy some more of that 5/8" HRS and maybe even 3/4" HRS when I get back from the contest. 11" will make things much more doable at that length.

Ben,

Great bend – well done!

I’m enjoying my little play at braced bending, and will look forward to going at it more when I have done the GGC. The thing I like about it is the overall body strengthening. After a few big bends I have woken up stiff all over, especially the torso.

I’ll put your 2 bends up in a minute.

David

Great bend David! I failed on a 16" piece after the MGC5. Then AP finished it off with ease. If he started attacking the 1/2" list he'd be at the 12" level pretty quick I think.

Heck of a bend David; big congrats! I'm afraid I'm going to have to take a little extra time off too after my last bends. It would be so nice to not have to recouperate and just be able to hit it 100% all the time but I guess that's impossible.

Great job Ben, you'll get it soon. I'm sure AP could do really good at it soon the way he's getting 80d spikes.

I'm really enjoying this list. I just wished I didn't have to do the antique way of mailing the DVDs but we'll work on that too.

Again, great job David.

Oh by the way, I know from reading old posts and watching Steve's DVDs that you have calibrated steel in the past. Have you ever tried to do any of this larger steel? Eric's setup won't allow him to calibrated anything larger than 7/16 and that is very iffy. I'd love to know how the numbers of an 8 inch piece of 12mm or 1/2 inch stack up to an FBBC 80d spike.

Great job!

Tim

Thanks Ben! Hopefully David will have the video in a little over a week and we can get his final word. I would have had to just totally have some sorta brain fade to forget something on these vids though. It happens though. In the past, I've thought for sure that a bend was well under 5 minutes only to watch the vid and it goes over. Doesn't seem like that long when you're bending it. I did time the 8 and it was under 5. Not alot but under.

It was a tuffy bend.

Tim

Tim,

Too right that the 8" bar should be a tough bend! :blink

I'm sure the video will be fine, and I look forward to giving it the thumbs up.

All steel was hand calibrated in the past, and I think it would be too much to calibrate this thicker steel.

Ben,

I'm sure you'd quickly improve as you learn new moves and techniques.

The Champion of Steel contest will be excellent to watch and right now I feel Dave Johnson has the ability to win, as he has no weak areas. I think Mark Vogels will be with him as well.

David

Tim,

Too right that the 8" bar should be a tough bend! :blink

I'm sure the video will be fine, and I look forward to giving it the thumbs up.

All steel was hand calibrated in the past, and I think it would be too much to calibrate this thicker steel.

Ben,

I'm sure you'd quickly improve as you learn new moves and techniques.

The Champion of Steel contest will be excellent to watch and right now I feel Dave Johnson has the ability to win, as he has no weak areas. I think Mark Vogels will be with him as well.

David

I hope so, but DU and snapping are areas that still need a lot of work.

But honestly I don't really care (as long as I don't place last on all events :tongue), it will be a great experience ;)

Only 5 weeks left for training.....

Got a 1/2"X18" HRS in 4 minutes and 54 seconds earlier today for a new length PR. I am just having trouble with everything but the kink. I'll get it with some form practice though. And getting stronger sure wouldn't hurt me a bit.

Ben,

Great stuff, just keep working at it and trying all the styles.

Re. your bend - All bending claims of 1/2 " width bar from 18" length and above should be accompanied with a video (Youtube, gripboard, sent to me, etc) unless it was done in a ratified contest, or of course I've viewd it. Wasn't sure if this was a claim or training talk so I thought I'd point it out.

Anyway, I know you video some bends, so video whatever bend you want me to see.

Keep up the good work,

David

Ben,

Great stuff, just keep working at it and trying all the styles.

Re. your bend - All bending claims of 1/2 " width bar from 18" length and above should be accompanied with a video (Youtube, gripboard, sent to me, etc) unless it was done in a ratified contest, or of course I've viewd it. Wasn't sure if this was a claim or training talk so I thought I'd point it out.

Anyway, I know you video some bends, so video whatever bend you want me to see.

Keep up the good work,

David

Thanks David. I am glad I'm at the point where it has to be videoed because that's some progress. I'll get video probably when I'm around the 16" and under mark. That might be a while though.