Braced Bending Rules And Levels

David Horne

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bracedbending.html

Tell me what you think. I will do the scrolling/coiling and braced and unbraced snapping rules, etc. All this is for the future Champion of Steel contest as I've been getting asked questions and have now only got round to it. Sorry for the delay.

Tim, Mats and whoever, please send me your info for the page.

David

Edited by davidhorne

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• Tim71

• wscorpion

• bencrush

Well done David!!! I am excited to see this take off!!!!

As I just put on the contest page we have some big strong strongmen going to have a go at the comp in Sept, and I can't wait to see what steel they can bend.

David

Some of this thicker steel can vary slightly, sometimes more, and sometimes less. I think we can allow a drop of 0.25mm at the max. When you are showing the measurements with a digital caliper, these are the figures they should be.

3/8" = 0.375" = 9.525mm

1/2" = 0.5" = 12.7mm

5/8" = 0.625" = 15.875mm

3/4" = 0.75" = 19.05mm

So for instance if a 3/4" bar came up at 18.80 this would be allowed.

Here is an excellant converter, which also converts from fractions

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

David

Thank you very much David!

By the way, if you want the date, it's; April 12 2007

And yeah, the thick steel can vary. I measured all of the thick bars I have bent. They went from 18.9 to 19.5

Thanks again

Mats

Wow! Level 14 and level 12 are going to be vacant for a long time I think. The 2.5 inches will be really hard to get with the 1/2 inch hot rolled steel on anything shorter than 12 I think.

How is this working? What proof is needed etc? Is this a video bend or a competition you're going to have?

Sounds neat and can't wait to submit a few bends! The 3/8 inch hrs to 1/2 inch jump is pretty good. I've used 7/16 but it's not real easy to find. Ashamed though because it's a really good intermediate bend.

Tim

Is a digital caliper required for on the videos?

Just bent my first 10mm X 25cm HRS bar well under 1 inch but unfortunately I don't have anything to measure the thickness of the bar on video ( I do have a caliper, but it's not digital ) :(

If you don't necessarily require the use of a digital caliper I will shoot a vid tomorrow of the bend if that's sufficient.

EDIT

One other thing, for the "short" braced bends I don't believe a 23" 1/2" should be one level higher then the 8" 3/8" bar.

I'm sure I can easily bend the 23" while I don't believe I can kink the 8" braced.

Edited by White Scorpion

Hi guys just finished training and I'm off to the bath. Will answer the questions and pms when I come down.

David

Tim and Scorpion thanks for your info.

I've altered a few things now if you look. The different width steel are different section. You can now climb whatever ones you want to. But as you can see - In a contest situation like the 'Champion of Steel' comp, the thicker steel will always out do the thinner steel, no matter what the length is. It is up to the individual to bend thicker steel.

I've also altered the levels to 2" increments so that it will be easier to climb.

(48-24 inches)

All bending claims of 3/4" width bar and above should be accompanied with a video (Youtube, gripboard, sent to me, etc) unless it was done in a ratified contest. This video should show the length and width using a tape, and a caliper (digital or mechanical). Bends below this are submitted by the honour system.

(23-8 inches)

All bending claims of 1/2 " width bar from 18" length and above should be accompanied with a video (Youtube, gripboard, sent to me, etc) unless it was done in a ratified contest. This video should show the length and width using a tape, and a caliper (digital or mechanical). Bends below this are submitted by the honour system.

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/bracedbending.html

Hope this all helps, and I look forward to putting your names on the list - have fun!

David

Geez, just when I thought I was going to rest up some! I went back and looked at some of my old bends, and my 10 inch by 1/2 inch bar although I still consider my PR bend, would not be a "David Horne legal" bend. About 3/16 of an inch too far on the spread. And now that it's froze up, forget about moving it in farther. My 12 inch and 11.75 incher would be no problem. Now I think I'm going to have to find a computer whiz from America to mail my DVDs to so they can post them on you tube or something. Man I hate dial-up!

The 24 inch by 5/8 inch bend will be a very impressive bend too. My old record for 5/8 was 28 inches but I haven't tried that width in a long time. Off to cut some steel I think.

Great job David! It's great to have a "braced certs" section of sorts. I think Mats is going to be hard to catch in the 3/4 section. That 37.5 inch bend is awesome!

Again, thanks a million! Just wished I could participate at a faster rate. Maybe I'll knock out the honor bends tonight. I've done 7/16 by 8 inches in that past so I know I can do that one but the 24 inch x 5/8 will be the tougher one.

Later,

Tim

Nice work, David!

Thanks guys - have fun! Just send me the info, and video or link for the ones that require footage, and I usually will have your name up straight away if the bend is good.

Couple more bends up there now.

David

One final question, if you can take over unbraced, are you allowed to do so, or is bracing the way you should close the bar?

david

a welcome addition to the bending world i look forward to attacking these lists once healed.

Scorpion,

You can finish the bar off unbraced or braced. As I said as long as the bar doesn't touch the floor or your foot anything goes.

Gazza,

Yeah they look fun, and I'll have a play myself once the GGC training is finished. Make sure you get completely healed first, then have fun! I think you'll do well, and hopefully you'l be fit for the Champion of Steel contest in Sept.

Heal up.

David

Now this is annoying.... All i could find is .476" or 12mm bars which are HRS. we don't have 12.7mm bars here in Holland I think. I've been to 5 different stores, but none of them have US sizes.

The 3/8 bar here is 10mm instead of 9.5mm as in the US.

I did found a digital caliper so I will bend the 10mm X 10" and put it on tape. I've also bought a 12mm bar, but this is .7mm too thin :(

Okay Mark.

I understand what your saying about the differences in European and U.S. steel sizes. I used U.S. sizes just because there are many benders in the U.S. But I don't want the european benders to not be able to locate a size of steel. This is why I want the caliper size of the steel you bend (take the widest measurement). Because the european equivelants of the sizes are.

3/8" = 9.525mm, but european steel is 10mm, my stuff came in at 10.10mm

1/2" = 12.7mm, but european steel is 12mm, my stuff came in at 12.39mm

5/8" = 15.875mm, but european steel is 16mm, my stuff came in at 16.29mm

3/4" = 19.05mm, but european steel is 20mm, my stuff came in at 20.3mm

So our steel is larger on 3 of the widths and slightly less on one. So I will take a 12mm minimum on the 1/2" stock.

But please remember this is the best we can do with an inexact science, and if everyone just gives me the width sizes in with the info you will then get credited with the exact size.

Cheers,

David

No problem, thanks David!

Here's some vids hopefully good enough for certing:

10mm X 10":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DpirU8F7Qc

10mm X 8":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEerZr23GFw

The latter one might need a little more time before it's visible. It's uploading as we speak.

I've also bent a 12mm X 40cm (15,7") bar, but the camera stopped recording before the end of the bend. A picture can be found in my gallery, but I will take it down once more if 12mm is allowed :p

please let me know if the videos are sufficient or that I should take other actions to be ready for the certs.

- Mark

Btw, my info:

Mark Vogels

The Netherlands

Edited by White Scorpion

ive not really been following this thread untill today, but i did a 10.5" long 10mm bar the other night so it looks as if i might have to get some stock in and cert on it :)

Edited by liamcafs

I think that's the best way to go about it David but I will say that .7 mm will make a significant difference on the shorter half inch bars like the 12 and under but like you say that's the best way to do it to keep it fair as possible.

If Mats bent a 20mm bar that short that's even more impressive. He's going to be hard to catch in that catagory.

I've just got to get a caliper (any suggestions on the most cost effective) and someway to get my vids available.

Great job David!

Tim