Braced Bending Rules And Levels

David Horne

Nice work Justin.

I think a list of every type of bend possible would be great as variety in bending stops you going stale and more importantly makes you hit steel from all different angles which makes you a more complete bender.

Snapping is better with HRS as it takes longer and the heat generates works in a bigger bend radius this of coarse makes you try harder and longer which increases ones bending endurance.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• Tim71

• wscorpion

• bencrush

My DVD should be to David any day now (hopefully) which is the only thing I'm waiting on.

I highly suspect Mats can get the 24 incher on the 5/8 list.

I know some of you other benders can knock out some good bends for this list. Spike benders can easily hit some good 3/8 bends and that's the honor system.

Tim

Last weekend I did a 5/8" X 36" Long bar in the strongman show my brother and i put on at his church. I did get video of it. Had my cam and never got it out.

David,

Great big thanks my friend. Making a list kept by a grip legend is an honor.

Yeah the different styles are great. Some can push better and some can pull better. Nice thing about these 2 different length groups is it kinda encourages 2 different styles.

Nick. Great job on a tough piece of steel. 5/8 is a big one to use in a show. Congrats!

Tim

Tim,

Glad I can help out.

Yes the different lengths require different strengths. I'm looking forward to watching the Champion of Steel comp with those 8 different disciplines.

Nick,

I've put your show bend on the list - well done.

David

David,

With some big guys showing up I'm curious as to what your expectations are. Especially I guess in the 3/4 inch bars how short are you thinking you may have to go to find a winner? I've never seen a comp that had so much bending variety so I'm really curious as to what some of the big guys can do on the long stuff.

Wished I could be there.

Tim

Tim,

It will be interesting to see what they can do. But I've not really heard of anyone who can bend shorter than what Mats can.

David

I'd love to give a 3/4" bar a try, but I'm still searching for them :(

If I ever walk into one I will definitely give it a try. Hopefully I can get it shorter then 40", but I highly doubt it ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

Mark,

40 inches would be a phenominal bend on 3/4 inch. Even 4 foot is very very tough stuff. Mucho harder than a 3 foot by 5/8 inch no comparison at all.

David, I agree about Mats bends. Shortest I've heard of. I've emailed Big Steve to see what his shortest is but I haven't got a reply back yet. I know he absolutely kills a 4 foot piece on his 2nd DVD and even crosses the ends some so he's good for a decent ammount less but how much is anyone's guess. A 3/4 bend off between Steve and Mats would be an awesome event.

Mats you should try the 3/4 inch square. That would be a beyond world class bend and I bet you can get it at 4 foot. I certainly wished I could pull that big steel like that.

And of course there's Gazza. WHEN he decides to show up at the long bar party then I'm sure he'll have some crazy bend to knock out.

Nick, big congrats on that bend. Hope your show was a huge success!

Great job guys!

Tim

I would love to try the square stuff!!

If I ever did a 5/8" SQUARE x 31" I'd lay it on Torkel's grave :D

Mats

Mark,

40 inches would be a phenominal bend on 3/4 inch. Even 4 foot is very very tough stuff. Mucho harder than a 3 foot by 5/8 inch no comparison at all.

David, I agree about Mats bends. Shortest I've heard of. I've emailed Big Steve to see what his shortest is but I haven't got a reply back yet. I know he absolutely kills a 4 foot piece on his 2nd DVD and even crosses the ends some so he's good for a decent ammount less but how much is anyone's guess. A 3/4 bend off between Steve and Mats would be an awesome event.

Mats you should try the 3/4 inch square. That would be a beyond world class bend and I bet you can get it at 4 foot. I certainly wished I could pull that big steel like that.

And of course there's Gazza. WHEN he decides to show up at the long bar party then I'm sure he'll have some crazy bend to knock out.

Nick, big congrats on that bend. Hope your show was a huge success!

Great job guys!

Tim

Oops, guess I meant the 5/8" bar at 40" :tongue

Those US sizes still confuse me sometimes....

Mark,

I know what you mean. I have to think about the metric stuff too. 5/8 I bet you'll do some real good bends with as strong as you can pull against your knee like that. I'd try the 3/4 too if I were you but I'd start at 48 inches or 4 feet. It's still a crazy bend but like I said you seem to have a really good knee pull.

Tim

4 foot 3/4 Is a hard bend. I would start there as well like Tim said.

Wow! Nice job guys. That 27.5 must've been a pretty tough bend.

Great job.

Tim

Definitely nice work!!

Glad to see that list getting bigger and bigger ;)

Tim,

It was fine, and I also finished off Dave Johnson's 27.5" bar as well. I'm only doing the odd ones here and there as all my training is devoted to the GGC. But when I get back from that comp I will put 2 weeks of training in for the Champion of Steel comp. I have got a 24" bar to 60 degrees before, and have bent a 48" x 3/4" bar fully. It will be good to do some proper work on this stuff.

David

Any bending I'm doing right now seems to be going well. I think all the other training is paying dividends.

Anyway I got a 22 degree bend on a hrs round bar 9 3/4" x 1/2".

I was very pleased with this.

David

Any bending I'm doing right now seems to be going well. I think all the other training is paying dividends.

Anyway I got a 22 degree bend on a hrs round bar 9 3/4" x 1/2".

I was very pleased with this.

David

Nice work!

And which technique are you using for this?

Mark,

Braced of course, starting on the knee.

David

Braced I knew :tongue, but on the knee as in on top of the knee like Tim T does, or behind the knee like I do?

I've found that on top of the knee or thigh is really painful. So I'm even more impressed if you've bent it like that. ;)

Man you pulled a piece of steel that short???!!! No way no how could I pull a piece of 1/2 inch steel that short around my knee and kink it. But there again me attempting to bust and inch off the ground in each hand would be comedy relief. Legendary pulling power there David!

I highly suspect after your competition it is going to be no problem whatsoever for you to jump some spaces on all the lists.

Great job.

Tim

Yep thats a serious pull against the knee both techniques are painfull but thats part of the fun :D

I am also a puller rather than a pusher i think it is wise to train both so you become a better all rounder plus you can switch if injured etc.