Pull Up/bench Press Ladder Super Sets

smp76

I'm pretty sure that gripinator is off limits on KTA. Are you doing KTA just like the program or are you doing your own thing? I love the results from KTA but I sure don't like doing it, everyday squeezing grippers with sore cracked hands is not fun.

I guess the next thing your going to tell me is that I am not supposed to drink in the morning either? :tongue

No sir, not when you are a teacher, it's our childrens future in your hands. Save the morning drinking for us blue collar folks.

I suppose you are refueling those jets sober then too right? Hey, on a serious note, what are you doing Wednesday? I will be on that side of town and can swing in and let you shut the MMG1 replica? Say after 4:00pm?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• deaner

• Ivarboneless

• FrankyBoy

Grippers:

#1X5 BH

#2X3 BH

MMG2X4 SON Right Hand

MMG1X4 SON Left Hand

#2X4 OC BH

Monday 4-17-06

Pull ups: (BW 204) 3-7X3 total reps: 75

Bench: (175lbs) 3-7X3 total reps: 75

Bench is starting to get harder at this weight, which is good but to stay on the positive end of the diminishing returns slope I will only increase by 2.5lbs next week if I do not notice a return to the ease it has been in the previous weeks. That is to say this has not been easy but I do not want to fail on the last rep on any of these ladders. I suppose that the difficulty I feel is the adjust ment to the higher number of total reps and the increase in weight. Seventy-five reps at 175lbs is the most I can ever recall doing ever in one day. On a better note the pull ups are going great and I think I will try to track down that weight vest and do my next few workouts with 8-10lbs in it. The vest has walked off and is in hiding. Oh well, there is also the weight belt.

Messed aorund with the sled I made this weekend and like the possibilities for this bad mother. I like it a great deal and the good news is I have enough material at the house to make three more for the wrestling team! :tongue

-Sean

I'm pretty sure that gripinator is off limits on KTA. Are you doing KTA just like the program or are you doing your own thing? I love the results from KTA but I sure don't like doing it, everyday squeezing grippers with sore cracked hands is not fun.

I guess the next thing your going to tell me is that I am not supposed to drink in the morning either? :tongue

No sir, not when you are a teacher, it's our childrens future in your hands. Save the morning drinking for us blue collar folks.

I suppose you are refueling those jets sober then too right? Hey, on a serious note, what are you doing Wednesday? I will be on that side of town and can swing in and let you shut the MMG1 replica? Say after 4:00pm?

That'd be cool, I gotta head out about 4:35 though, going to the tattoo shop for a little bit.

4-18-06

Grippers:

#1X5

#2X3

MMG1X1 closed for two seconds! PR!

MMG2X4 SN right hand

MMG1X4 SN left hand

#2X4 OC

Feeling great today!

4-19-06

Workout today, shoulders have been bugging me a bit. Right aorund the AC joint. Think it is the high volume on bench press, or my pussy, whatever...

Pull ups: (BW 202) 3-7X3 total reps: 75

Thinking that I need to change something with the bench. 170 is not killing me but I think the 2-6X3 was better for going up in weight. I am also considering changing to a week on week off routine for bench. My shoulders which already suck ass are taking a hit. I believe that maybe a twice a week routine or week on week off woould work better. Kind of a Monday and Thursday kind of deal. That way I am getting a lot of rest and hitting bench every fourth day. Still doing Pull ups M-W-F. Just a thought, I am going to Mexico for vacation next week so I will try to either tan in lou of lifting or say that I am starting my week on week off routine and it just worked out :whistel If I do that then I can hit my shoulders on M-W-F with Pull ups and Bi and Tris with Chest. Hmm...

No Grippers today...

4-19-06

Workout today, shoulders have been bugging me a bit. Right aorund the AC joint. Think it is the high volume on bench press, or my pussy, whatever...

Thinking that I need to change something with the bench. 170 is not killing me but I think the 2-6X3 was better for going up in weight. I am also considering changing to a week on week off routine for bench. My shoulders which already suck ass are taking a hit. I believe that maybe a twice a week routine or week on week off woould work better. Kind of a Monday and Thursday kind of deal. That way I am getting a lot of rest and hitting bench every fourth day. Still doing Pull ups M-W-F. Just a thought, I am going to Mexico for vacation next week so I will try to either tan in lou of lifting or say that I am starting my week on week off routine and it just worked out :whistel If I do that then I can hit my shoulders on M-W-F with Pull ups and Bi and Tris with Chest. Hmm...

No Grippers today...

Is there some flexibility issue with your AC joint? I have that issue particularly when I do pull ups, as a result, I have only done chins lately :) I am hoping that this chin-up ladder works as well for me as it has for you!

4-19-06

No Grippers today...

Is there some flexibility issue with your AC joint? I have that issue particularly when I do pull ups, as a result, I have only done chins lately :) I am hoping that this chin-up ladder works as well for me as it has for you!

Long story short, wrestled in college, two reconstructions and damaged my right but not "good" enough to warrant another reconstruction...Both AC joints have been punished, I believe the high volume of Bench is the cupprit for the ache, or like I said, I am just being a pussy.

I hope the chin up ladder works for you as well man, I just need to thank Austin Slater for reminding me of it. ;)

4-20-06

Grippers:

#1X3

MMG1X1 solid short close :D

MMG1X2 1/16"

MMG1X1 1/8"

My 04' 3" spread #3 attempt 1/8" from close, man if I new my #3 was this tough I would have tried for MMG1 a long time ago when I was closing is for seven singles in one session! :angry: Piss on myself for not doing that, this is the same #3 I close on Denali for God's sake! What a puss I have become.

MMG2X2 SON

Just to test out, I know it is premature as far as the schedule is concerned but I wanted to try this oput and see what happens after a week off.

Bench: 170lbs for 17 reps 18th was close but stalled out half way!

Pull ups: 16 :angry: felt weak after bench

Now for a week off! I will test again after a week of rest!

Just to test out, I know it is premature as far as the schedule is concerned but I wanted to try this oput and see what happens after a week off.

What was your goal for pull-ups?

What was your goal for pull-ups?

Wanted to get at least 18 again looking for twenty but I did not chalk up before doing the pull ups, no excuse but I always feel like I have a better pull with my body is silent and not moving so much do to lousy grip. Really off for the three week test date but wanted to see what I did before and after a week off. Was happy with the 170lbs for 17 solid reps.

-Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Well a week off and some bending later and I managed 18 reps at 170lbs today, still a little sore from bending yesterday. Managed to get 6.5 FBBC, 5.75" Hex, and took a 5/16" Grade 5 just passed 90 degrees, it was that Grade 5 that sucked out the strength in my chest.

Went by Deaner's house to get my MMG1 and MMG2 replicas back, had to take them he was closing in too quick! And I managed to get a couple closes on the MMG1 and one Deaner filmed. Felt great. After rereading my blog from way back (technical historical term) I noticed my best closes on my 04' #3 were after doing three day rest then 4 SN with Deaner's Elite and 4 OC with my cut #2. hitting those ever three days for a month got me to do seven single on my 04' #3. I am thinking that is what I will do but hit the SN with my MMG2 replica and OC with my Gripinator at just below what a #3 is rated at. We will see.

I am also tweaking my bench work to include Dumbells to try to salvage some shoulder pain. So it will be DBs one week Flat BB bench the following. Pull ups will just stay pull ups but with increasing weight. Next week is going to be 185lbs for 3-6X3+6. This will be a nice total 60 total reps again. Should be nice. I thin k when I go to DBs I will just start with 60s or 70s and see how they feel. Same ladder 3-6X3+6 for a few weeks.

-Sean

5-01-06

Pull ups (BW 204) 3-6X3+6 total reps: 60

Bench (185lbs) 3-6X3+6 total reps: 60

Felt god and strong. I could tell I did that set for max yesterday and the bending the other day as well. I liked that I was into some decent weight for reps. 185lbs for 3x3, 3x4, 3x5, 4x6 is not too bad.

Bought a bunch of steel for some students and a stick of 5/16" for the coming war with the Edgin.

-Sean

5-02-06

Grippers:

#1X3

#2X3

MMG1 replica close and held for 10 seconds

MMG1 replica close

MMG1 replica 1/16"

MMG2X4 SN

#2X4 OC 10-12 seconds

Felt great with the first closes of the MMG1 Replica. Then I did some sled pulls rotated with KB swings. I would pull the sled around our mezanine and one of my wrestlers would do KB swings. Our mezanine goes around three full basket ball courts, we have a huge gym. We went for 50 minutes and my average heart rate was 130+ the whole time.

-Sean

05-03-06

Pull ups (BW 203) 3-6X3+6 total reps: 60

Bench (185lbs) 3-6X3+6 total reps: 60

Two hand pinch 2.5" wooden Disc

50lbsX5

70lbsX3

120lbs 3x3

Sledge lever to nose 12lbX1, got the new sledge for the classroom and had to try it for the wall of strength.

Thinking about upping the pull up ladder, same four sets but the numbers will be high, for example 5-8X3+7 total reps 85

frustrated from my failed Grand Bastard and Grand Hex Bastard attempts I went up in weight on the bench. The workouts were as follows:

Pull ups BW (203) 5-8X3+7 total reps :75

Bench Press: 185lbs 3-6X1 total reps: 18

195lbs 3-6X2+6 total reps 42

Still really frustrated about failing on the Grand Hex and Grand Bastards. I had a big audience and when I get the video posted I will let you all see it. I plan on taking Monday and Tuesday off and hitting the Grand Bastard again on Wednesday.

Later,

Sean

Rested yesterday and today in preparation of Wednesday's Grand Bastard attempt. I will lift right after the attempt on Wednesday and will hit Bench at 195lbs and Pull ups with 5lbs but use the higher ladder sequence of 5-8X3+7. Bench will go to 3-6X3 +3+3 (205 for the +3s)

Failed again on my attempt of a Grand Bastard cert. The bend was off center by about a half inch and I was only 1/8" from the legal 2" bend when time expired. I also took a 5" Red to about 45 degrees so that was an okay bending workout, would have like to have gotten that Grand knocked out but hey it's training when you fail and sucess when you finish your goals.

Bench Press (195lbs) 3-6X3 +3+3 at 205lbs Total reps 54 (195) 6 (205)

Pull ups (BW 208 fatty) 5-8X3 +7 total reps 75

Not too bad.

-Sean

I forgot to add my Gripper work:

#1X5 BH

#2X3 BH

HG250X3 LH OC

#2X3 RH OC

MMG1X2 RH

MMG2X3 SN BH

Bench Press (195lbs, 205) 3-6X3 (195) 3X2 (205) total reps: 60

Pull ups (BW 205) 5-8X3+7 total reps: 75

Week totals: 162@195 Bench

18@205 Bench

225 Pull ups

-Sean

Great totals Sean! :rock

Thanks Ben. This is really the first time in a while, well since my second shoulder reconstruction taht I have pushed myself in bench press. Goin up only five pounds a week and hitting higher reps at increased weight has really worked well for me. The pull ups have also increased and I look forward to hitting some big numbers there. The one thing I like the most about this Pull up/Bench work out is if I get after it I can be finished in just under twenty-five minutes.

-Sean

5-15-06

Pull ups (BW 204) 6-9X3 total reps 120

Bench (200lbs) 3-6X3 +3+3(210lbs) total reps 54@200, 6@210

Also I tested today at 185lbs and did 16 consecutive reps!!!

Not too bad this ladder seems to be working well for me.

-Sean