Pull Up/bench Press Ladder Super Sets

smp76

This is the only way to document and keep track of my progress in the Pull Up /Bench Press Ladder and stay focused. I am trying to follow a off branch of Pavel's pull up ladder with some super set bench press.

To explain the numbers:

When it says 2-5X3 it means the following reps were done: 2,3,4,5,2,3,4,5,2,3,4,5 this being a total of 42 reps.

The reason for the short had is to show the numbers of reps in the ladder and the times through the cycle.

You may notice later in this log I will be stepping up the ladder slowly by adding the next rung of the ladder on the

end of one cycle. This will add an additional number of reps. My increase in Bench press weight will be in increments of

5lbs per week until I am working with 185lbs and then I will go to 2.5lbs per week. Every three weeks I will do a max set on

Monday to check if the reps in my ladder can be adjusted or not and see the over all progress.

Short term Goal:

Get my pull ups to 20 reps in a single set

Long term Goal:

Be able to bench press 225 for 20 reps in a single set

Be able to do 20 pull ups in one set with a 25lb weight hanging off my body

Week of March 27th-06

Mon: Pull ups 2-5X3 (BW) +18 pulls at home

Bench Press 2-5X3 (160lbs)

Wed: Pull ups 2-5X3 (BW)

Bench Press 2-5X3 (160lbs)

Fri: Pull ups 2-6X1 (BW)

2-5X2 (BW)

Bench Press 2-5X3 (165lbs)

Week Total Reps:

Pull ups: 150

Bench: 84 (160lbs)

48 (165lbs)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smp76

• deaner

• Ivarboneless

• FrankyBoy

Cool to see you got this up. Nice to be able to learn a little from Alaska's top bender.

Smart ass :tongue

Today: April 3rd, 2006

Pull Ups: 2-6X3 :60 total reps

Bench (165lbs) 2-6X3 :60 total reps

Felt great. I have a few students from the wrestling team doing this with me and it is great for them. We set up three or four benches depending on the number of guys participating and their strength level and go for it. Chest was a little sore from bending yesterday and my right shoulder felt a little off but once I got in the workout and it was warm I was fine. I think when I get to Friday I will go up another 5lbs but I think after that it will be 2.5lbs a week for a while, just to be safe and do this right. Check your ego at the door and just

get it done.

Finished off with some DB military presses, and abs/core as well as about 20 minutes of bull in the ring wrestling with the guys from the team. Great cardio and upper body workout!

-Sean

Today April 5th, 2006

Pull ups: 2-6X3 total reps: 60

Bench(165lbs) 2-6X3 total reps: 60

Finished with some two handed pinch and fat v-bar. How sad am I when my fat v-bar lifts are close to the same numbers as my two hand pinch? :cry PATHETIC!!!

Then I did some core stuff and cried myself to sleep

So far this week I have done 120 pull ups and 120 reps at 165lbs on bench

So far this week I have done 120 pull ups and 120 reps at 165lbs on bench

Just addin up, aren't they!! :rock

I love doing stuff in this manner, the reps just add up, like you said. And keeping a log makes it more visible.

Today: April 7th, 2006

Pull ups: 2-6X3 total: 60 reps

Bench (165lbs) 2-6X1 total: 20 reps

Bench (170lbs) 2-6X2 total: 40 reps

Fellt great, this weeks total is:

Pull ups (body weight 205lbs) 180 total reps

Bench Press (165lbs) 140 total reps

Bench Press (170lbs) 40 total reps

Grippers:

#1X5

#2X3

MM2RX3 SN

#2X3 OC

My new Mash Monster Replicas came in yesterday so I am after the MMG1. Starting to put my gripper workouts in here as well as the pull ups and bench stuff.

-Sean

Resting on the pull ups and bench but writing my gripper stuff:

#1 SH right 20lbs , left 10lbs :blink

#2X3

MMG2 X3 SN

#2 X3 OC

V-Bar: had to make one for the Gripboard Bash 10

145X1 BH

155X1 BH

165X1 BH

175X1 BH

185X1 BH

195X1 BH

200X1 Left hand Right

205X1 RH

Stopped there, I like skin on my hands for gripper training. Really like my new bar.

I sure wanna squeeze them new grippers, you gonna "season" them? That new #3 feels possible, but CC set.. I don't know, maybe you can but I'm kind of planning on focusing on pledging with the Hell's Angels after I go through this bout of KTA, I might be a little tied up with all the ass beatings I'll be dishing out. Hey, whats up with that top 50 bending list I'm not seeing your new hex bend on there, you ask them yet? I saw you are on the fbbc site for the 6.5" hex.

Edited by deaner

The new grippers are going great, I am using the MMG2 for SN and I think it will work awesome. As for your indoctrination into the Hell's Angels well...let's not rush to any rash decisions. I am sure after KTA you will be set up for some serious crush! The top 50 list list is updated and I am at #7 which is nice. But like we have talked about before with that list, there are plenty of sleepers or people who have not updated there bending abilities to give a true sense of what people out there are doing. Eric has done a geat job at organizing a list based on certed or witnessed bends, if people choose not to be a part of that then they can not be counted. Just like opinions, fail to cast the vote no one will know what you want.

-Sean

Grippers today:

#1X5

#2X3

MMG2X3 SN Right hand, MMG1X3 Left hand

#2X3 OC

SN and OCs are alternated.

Grippers today:

#1X5 BH

#2X3 BH

#2X3 OC BH

MMG2X3 SN right hand

MMG1X3 SN left hand

Feeling good about his gripper work. I am very pleased with the MMG1 and MMG2 replicas. There are an awesome in between #3 and #4 for SN. They do not kill my hands like my #4 did. My old #4 tore up my pinkies and removed skin by the truck load. These two are a nice heavy gripper without the callouse ripping.

-Sean

Test day today. It is the first day of week three so I thought it would be a great day to see where we stood. We being myself and the wrestling team that does this workout with me. So here is how it went, try not to laugh.

Body weight 205lbs

Pull ups max set: 18

Bench Press 155lbs max set: 22 reps

Finished the day off with:

2-6X1 total reps: 20

Bench Press (170lbs) 2-6X1 : 20 reps

Pull ups BW+5lbs 2-6X1 : 20 reps

Todays totals:

Pull ups: 38 reps

Bench: 22/20 at 155/170

Did DB military press 3X10 and Abs

-Sean

Today Grippers:

#1X5

#2X3

MMG2X3 SN

#2X3 OC

Alternating the SNs and OCs

Below is a Ladder progression chart for quick reference. The terms are the same as they have been, meaning 2-5X3 is 2,3,4,5,2,3,4,5,2,3,4,5

2-6X3---2-7X3----2-8X3------2-9X1,2-8X2 and so on if you get confused check the pattern

2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 3----------- 3

3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 4----------- 4

4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 5----------- 5

5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 6----------- 6

6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 7----------- 7

2----------- 7----------- 7----------- 7----------- 7----------- 7----------- 7----------- 8----------- 8

3----------- 2----------- 8----------- 8----------- 8----------- 8----------- 8----------- 9----------- 9

4----------- 3----------- 2----------- 9----------- 9----------- 9----------- 9----------- 1-----------10

5----------- 4----------- 3----------- 2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 3----------- 3

6----------- 5----------- 4----------- 3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 4----------- 4

2----------- 6----------- 5----------- 4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 5----------- 5

3----------- 7----------- 6----------- 5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 6----------- 6

4----------- 2----------- 7----------- 6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 7----------- 7

5----------- 3----------- 8----------- 7----------- 7----------- 7----------- 7----------- 8----------- 8

6----------- 4----------- 2----------- 8----------- 8----------- 8----------- 8----------- 9----------- 9

------------ 5----------- 3----------- 2----------- 9----------- 9----------- 9----------- 10--------- 10

------------ 6----------- 4----------- 3----------- 2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 2----------- 3

------------ 7----------- 5----------- 4----------- 3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 3----------- 4

------------ ------------ 6----------- 5----------- 4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 4----------- 5

------------ ------------ 7----------- 6----------- 5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 5----------- 6

---------- ------------ 8----------- 7----------- 6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 6----------- 7

-------------------------------------- 8----------- 7----------- 7----------- 7----------- 7----------- 8

------------------------------------------------8----------- 8----------- 8----------- 8----------- 9

----------------------------------------------------------------9----------- 9----------- 9----------- 10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------10

total reps total reps total reps total reps total reps total reps total reps total reps total reps

60--------- 81--------- 105-------- 114-------- 123-------- 132-------- 142-------- 148-------- 156

Today 4-12-06

Pull ups: (BW +5lbs) 2-6X3

Bench: (170lbs) 2-6X3

20 Kettlebell swings with the 24k Kettlebell

Grippers:

#1X5

#2X3

MMG2X3 SN

#2X3 OC

All of it felt great today. We just received the Kettlebell order for the wrestling team and I am noodling with a KB workout to compliment what I am already doing. If any of you guys have suggestions for some good KB workouts that would go well with my Pull ups and Bench presses, please speak up.

-Sean

I suggest someone come out and test them kettlebells to make sure they are safe for you and your students.

I suggest someone come out and test them kettlebells to make sure they are safe for you and your students.

If you know any certified Red nail benders/MMG0/Bastard/highland guy who live in the Anchorage area who might have a afternoons open then send them over to Bartlett! :tongue

Well I named all the school's Kettlebell's.

8k: Sasha

12k: Ivan

16k: Boris

20k: Magnus

24k: Rasputin

We have a 4k coming and I think I will call it Nancy. All the names have been painted on and the weight is just below the handle. Makes it kind of nice. The kids like it and I think it will motivate to a tougher sounding KB. Who said name calling wasn't ever productive.

KB swings 2x15 BH (Sasha), KB Swings R, L (Boris), then we played Horse ala Diesel Crew's PIG idea. Some snatche to catch to forward flips. Really just having a mess around day.

Tonight we are going 2-7X3 on the pull ups and Bench. Jumping up some reps. 60 to 81!!!!!!

-Sean

Grippers:

#1X3 BH

MMG1 X2 right hand 1/16" from close :yikes

MMG1 X2 left hand 1/4" from close

Feeling good about this. Feeling real good.

-Sean

Today:

Pull ups: 3-7X3 (BW 203lbs) total reps: 75

Bench 3-7X3 (170lbs) total reps: 75

Week total:

Pull Ups: 173 total reps

Bench: 177 total reps

Taxes Day!

Grippers:

#1X5

#2X3

MMG1 attempt 1/8" from close

MMG1 attempt 1/8" from close

MMG2X3 SN

#2X3 OC for about 8 seconds hard, trying to keep them short time but high intensity!!!

Gripinator Handles are set 1/4" wider than parallel.

Gripinator work for giggles remember weights quoted are from the conversion chart:

247X1

280X1

308X1

319X1 PR

I'm pretty sure that gripinator is off limits on KTA. Are you doing KTA just like the program or are you doing your own thing? I love the results from KTA but I sure don't like doing it, everyday squeezing grippers with sore cracked hands is not fun.

I'm pretty sure that gripinator is off limits on KTA. Are you doing KTA just like the program or are you doing your own thing? I love the results from KTA but I sure don't like doing it, everyday squeezing grippers with sore cracked hands is not fun.

I guess the next thing your going to tell me is that I am not supposed to drink in the morning either? :tongue

I guess the next thing your going to tell me is that I am not supposed to drink in the morning either? :tongue

No sir, not when you are a teacher, it's our childrens future in your hands. Save the morning drinking for us blue collar folks.