Bucket O' Nails: My Journey To The 60d And Beyond

LiftingKid

I decided to bend this morning as I had an extra 30 minutes.

Bending- 3/16" (going to ties soon, maybe square stock if I can find some)

6.5"-easy bend

6"- relatively easy bend

5.75-medium difficulty

5.25-kinked (this was hard)

I think that my bending form may be the issue here. I like to start with a vertical style and then 15 degrees into the bend transition to DO. I found that the vertical style is hard to work on shorter pieces of steel.

Block Weights

10 DL singles per hand

Sledge Work

I was still in a bit of a rush to finish this workout. I will complete the rest of it this afternoon (plate curls, etc.).

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LiftingKid

• Left Side

• unseenbeat

• don chi

Finished up my grip workout:

bending- 3/16"

7"-warm-up

5.25"-BENT in about 30 seconds

I modified my form so that it was a true DO and it worked like a charm. I hit that sweet spot between my chest and chin bending the bar!

25lb Block Weight clean+ press

-2 singles per hand

I will get a vid of these sometime for you guys. The form still does not look like a true, controlled clean+ press but it has the basic principle.

4kg Plate Curls 2x10

It takes a long time to perfect DO form, you will come across various points in your training where you improve your form in a critical way, and your strength jumps immediately.

It's like leveling up, I love it!

It takes a long time to perfect DO form, you will come across various points in your training where you improve your form in a critical way, and your strength jumps immediately.

It's like leveling up, I love it!

When I bent that 5.25" 3/16 nail that is exactly how I felt. My strength went up an easy 30lbs of pure bending pressure. I am going to be on the lookout for different ways people do DO to help find a method which works for me.

It's been a year for me and I feel like I've just now gotten the intrices my form to a good solid level.

deadlifted with suit bottoms today as protection for my hip and to get used to the equipment. Of course, I am still working core with full intensity and trying to stay away from the belt as much as possible. I will switch over to box squats like a regular DE day next Wednesday.

Deadlift-(weightxsetsxreps)

135x5x3

185x3

225x1

235x1

250x1 (straps up, loose belt,2nd notch)

I through in a couple of heavy singles like you would on a normal DE day. The 250 was easy in that I was near fully equipped and the rack pulls have evened out the motion. I now have less of an issue at my thighs and the problems are now limited soley to rolling the shoulders back. Trap and rhomboid work should fix this.

Shrugs-

95lbsx15

135x15

160x2x15

These were much stronger than I thought they would be. I have done no direct trap work and yet shrugs have improved.

Various Ab and Rehab exercises

Overall, I am starting to get used to my equipment for competition and peaking. This was an excellent workout in the sense that nothing was injured and I am one step closer to a 315lb deadlift (my meet goal).

Light grip work today:

I focused on block weights and sledge levering. If I did much more than this, it might impair my ability in tomorrow's workout at the gym.

25lb Block Weight Work-

4 clean+press singles per hand (I'm getting good at these)

10 deadlift singles (easy)

Sledge Levering

What does the sledge levering look like? 8lbs? 28lbs? What?

What does the sledge levering look like? 8lbs? 28lbs? What?

It's an 8lb sledge, I lever in all directions for 2x5 except for the weaver stick motion which is 2x10. I think I am going to bend today, I got out of school early and I have all the time in the world. Then do some GPP via shoveling snow......

Bending- 3/16" HRS (I'll be advancing to harder steel soon!)

6"-bent

5.75-bent

5"-ME bend (took a little over 30 seconds)

TT- Shouldn't have even tried this after the 5" bend. I think I could bend this with a proper warm-up.

I was trying out my grip with phone book tearing and I tore my first phone book. It measured in at 1" thick and took at least 1 min to tear completely. Pic soon :)

Tearing's fun eh? What style did you use?

I used the style on Eric's Bending page with a little bit of the one that he provided a link to. Not sure exactly what it's called though. I am going to do what you do on weight workout days and do grip work the same day so I am not burnt out. I am finishing up my last bit of 3/16" HRS and tearing another phonebook :).

Bending-3/16"

6"-crushed

5.5"- warm up

Timber Tie-BENT PR!!!

I am extermely happy with this. Now I can advance to this harder steel and step closer to my goals. On the down side, I am out of 3/16" HRS, time to look for CRS!

Bending-3/16"

6"-crushed

5.5"- warm up

Timber Tie-BENT PR!!!

I am extermely happy with this. Now I can advance to this harder steel and step closer to my goals. On the down side, I am out of 3/16" HRS, time to look for CRS!

Great job on the TT! You will be surprised how quickly you move past these. Great work.

Bending-3/16"

6"-crushed

5.5"- warm up

Timber Tie-BENT PR!!!

Great job on the TT! You will be surprised how quickly you move past these. Great work.

Hopefully they will become easier to bend in the next few weeks and I can start having fun with the Timber Ties. I can then bend them for friends and show off :) (no one would think my skinny frame could do that)

Edited by LiftingKid

2 Board Press-to max single

barx10

95lbsx6

105lbsx5

115x5

125lbsx3

135x3 (3RM PR!!!)

145x1

155x0 (The weight came off the boards but I couldn't follow through)

150x0 (the 155 drained me.)

DB Bench Press- 50lbs

1x6

1x6

1x4 (felt a twinge in my right pec and stopped)

Either way, this is a PR for me. Last week I couldn't even bench 50lb dumbbells for 6 reps on the first set. I believe that I could have done it for all sets this run around.

BB Row-95lbsx4x10

45lb Side Bends-4x12

I am happy with today's workout. I am clearly stronger and even though I didn't set a new max I know that 150lbs would have been in the bag. I will be doing speed deads on DE lower days until after the meet because I cannot afford injury. The plan is to finish up with this ME cycle and then do conventional deads until a week out from the meet. I will go for a max single at around 305 to get an idea as to where I stand the first week of that ME exercise.

Edit- I also did some light grip work consisting of 10 25lb block weight clean+presses per hand. I have a sizable blister on my right index finger so I decided not to tear or do sledge work.

barx10

95lbsx6

105lbsx5

115x5

125lbsx3

135x3 (3RM PR!!!)

145x1

DB Bench Press- 50lbs

1x6

1x6

Either way, this is a PR for me. Last week I couldn't even bench 50lb dumbbells for 6 reps on the first set. I believe that I could have done it for all sets this run around.

BB Row-95lbsx4x10

45lb Side Bends-4x12

I am happy with today's workout. I am clearly stronger and even though I didn't set a new max I know that 150lbs would have been in the bag. I will be doing speed deads on DE lower days until after the meet because I cannot afford injury. The plan is to finish up with this ME cycle and then do conventional deads until a week out from the meet. I will go for a max single at around 305 to get an idea as to where I stand the first week of that ME exercise.

Edit- I also did some light grip work consisting of 10 25lb block weight clean+presses per hand. I have a sizable blister on my right index finger so I decided not to tear or do sledge work.

Nice work on that DB bench press. :rock

barx10

95lbsx6

105lbsx5

115x5

125lbsx3

135x3 (3RM PR!!!)

145x1

DB Bench Press- 50lbs

1x6

1x6

BB Row-95lbsx4x10

45lb Side Bends-4x12

Nice work on that DB bench press. :rock

Thanks! I can see my bench improving now that I have actually decided to train my weaknesses.

Bending-

8" 1/4 HRS-Failed (thought this would be easier than the TT, evidently not....)

TTx2-BENT (the first was not galvanized, the interesting part about the second TT is that the galvanization actually broke off when I got to about 60 degrees)

8lb Sledge Levering-

Various directions

I need a bigger sledge.

Overall, I think that it is time that I went out and bought the bucket of TT instead of just buying individual ones. I went a little lighter in terms of the total workload because I am doing speed deads into heavy singles tomorrow. I do not want my grip to be completely spent. I will probably work up to 265-275lbs.

Just ripped another phone book except with the Grip n Rip style on Clay's website. Will post a full grip workout later. I plan to bend at least 3 TT's and go through some newspaper in addition to levering +block weight work.

Just ripped another phone book except with the Grip n Rip style on Clay's website. Will post a full grip workout later. I plan to bend at least 3 TT's and go through some newspaper in addition to levering +block weight work.

I decided not to bend as I noticed a sizable cut on my thumb pad from bending. It was enough that if I tried to bend, it would worsen and would prevent me from putting the force I'd like on the TT's. Instead, I did some phone book tearing!

Phone Book Tearing- Grip n' Rip Style

1" Local Phone book

2" SBC Greater Hartford Area Phone book (PR!!!)

10 25lb block weight clean+presses per hand ( I am badly in need of cutting up my 65lb dumbbell......)

8lb Sledge levering-

In all directions except to the back (protecting the thumb today)

Random tears of newspaper and remnants of phone books :)

I can't wait for my COC grippers to come in, I ordered the trainer, #1, and #2. It has already been two days so I hope I get it in time for Sunday's grip workout (doubt it, more like Tuesday, but I can hope). I plan to do grippers on Thursdays and Sundays while having Tuesday exclusive to bending. I may also do some bending on Sunday's too.

Quick post mid-workout:

I am noticing that some of the TT's (as they were marketed) are actually 60d's. Of course, the first nail that I picked up today happend to be one of these 60ds and I absolutely could not bend the thing....... Anyway, more reason for me to buy that bucket of TT's. I am on my last TT for the day, if I get it, it's a new pr for me!

Bending-

TTx3 BENT (PR for Volume)

I decided not to do a full fledged grip workout today because I have an ME lower body workout at the gym tonight. However, when I bend the day after a workout I never seem to perform as well, so I'll just do both. How much do Grade 2 Bolts cost a piece?