Bucket O' Nails: My Journey To The 60d And Beyond

LiftingKid

I took interest in bending about three weeks ago after seeing DieselWeseal's bend of a 60d nail. I have been doing solely sledge work over the past 3 weeks and I feel that it is time to begin my bending regimen. This is how my routine will look:

Sunday-

10 easy bends

Sledge Work

Hex Dumbbell Holds (for 30 sec)

Thursday:

5-10 medium bends

Sledge Work

Hex Dumbbell Holds

I will follow this routine for about 2 months and then I will look for something a bit more challenging to take on. Today will be my first day actually bending so we'll see how it goes.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LiftingKid

• Left Side

• unseenbeat

• don chi

I was definetly humbled yesterday during my grip workout....

3/16" HRS 6"- Failed on 2 attempts

3/16 HRS 7"-kinked

3/16 HRS 8"-BENT (YES!) I decided to give it another shot to make sure I could do it.

3/16 HRS 7.5"-kinked (very close, I didn't transition quickly enough)

Sledge Work with 8lb hammer

Hex Dumbbell Holds:

warm-up: 12lbs 30 seconds

20lbsx15 seconds x3

Cool Down: 12lbs 30 seconds

Let me Share a bit more information about myself:

Weight: 131lbs

Height: 5ft 4in

Big Three Maxes:

Deadlift: 290lbs (belt)

Squat: 275lbs (belt)

Bench: 140lbs (RAW)

I have to say that my neglect of upper body work has probably contributed to me not being able to bend even the easiest of nails. Is this how all beginners start? I think that the 7.5" nail is in my reach, I just need to explode on the bar with everything I have. Anyway, I will have all next week to work on grip (winter vacation) so maybe I will buy a COC trainer and see what happens.

Big Three Maxes:

I have to say that my neglect of upper body work has probably contributed to me not being able to bend even the easiest of nails. I just need to explode on the bar with everything I have.

You have a long time ahead of you to build your uppper body strength. Be patient. Rather than trying to explode on the bar with everything you have, try building a nice foundation of wrist strength to work off of. Sledge levering is your friend. Also, since you just started out, you probably don't need to be exploding with everything you have if you haven't learned good technique yet. Be patient.

Also, what are you using for pads?

Don't worry about the results of your first bending workout. After some practice and form perfection you'll be laughing at stuff you thought was hard.

And those are damn good numbers for a 13 year old.

Big Three Maxes:

I have to say that my neglect of upper body work has probably contributed to me not being able to bend even the easiest of nails. I just need to explode on the bar with everything I have.

Also, what are you using for pads?

Right now I am using a shop rag for a pad. I am looking to pick up a 4x10.5" 3/32" thick piece of suede leather at a craft store. I may go out today to do that along with getting some bigger dumbbells to make block weights.

Weight: 130.5lbs (looking to be 140 by April to cut into the 132 class in powerlifting)

The Workout:

Nail Bending-

3/16" 8" -Bent in about 10 sec

3/16" 7.5"- Bent in 15 sec

3/16" 7.25"-Bent in a little over 20 seconds

3/16" pre kinked to 165 degrees 7"-Bent in 30 seconds

The 7" nail was simply brutal to bend. I tried bending it double overhand and only got a little give in the metal. Then, I switch to double underhand and the nail bent almost at will. Maybe I will try varying my grip in future workouts to see which is best for me.

8lb Sledge Work-

2x5

to the front

wrist supination

wrist pronation

2x10

to the back

Hex Dumbbell Holds-

12lbsx30 sec

20lbsxfailure (about 45 seconds)

20lbsxfailure

20lbsxfailure

I went out last night and purchased 50lb, 60lb, and 70lb hex dumbbells to make block weights out of. This should make this part of my workout much more challenging.

Plate Curls-

Plate Wrist Curls-2x10 8.8lbs (4kg)

Plate Bicep Curls- 1x10, 1x9 (4kg)

These really hit my grip hard. I thought of them with much more respect following the failure to complete the last set.

Overall, I am very happy that I finally bent a 7" 3/16" nail. In my next workout, I will be trying to bend that same nail without a kink and maybe a 6.75" if I get that. I recently did a bench workout and noticed that I was much stronger than usual. Does bending have some kind of carryover into upper-body exercises?

Edited by LiftingKid

Just realized that I ran out of 3/16" 3ft lengths of steel. I have the 1/4" but that is too difficult to bend right now. I think I am going to get another 6 feet worth, then I will be ready for the 1/4" HRS. I may also get a 10lb sledge as the 8lb one is feeling light.

It just hit me, what kinds of exercises should I do with block weights? Could I clean and press them? Would a deadlift of the block weight be beneficial or more of a high pull type movement?

I can't stay away from bending now. It is one of the most addicting things I have ever done. Today's workout was well worth the extra soreness I may have in future days.

The Workout:

Bending- 3/16" thick

7.5" bent

6.75" bent (I thought this felt difficult for a 7.25" nail, then I looked at the length following the bend, oops)

7.25" (easily bent)

7" (bent)

25lb Block weight- 10 deadlift singles per hand

These were very difficult to hold at lockout. I can see the carryover that they have to bending and overall wrist strength. It will be a long time before I can progress to larger block weights. As these get easier, I will try to clean and press the block weight.

Sledge Levering-8lb sledge (looking to weight this to make a 10lb sledge)

2x5

to the front

pronation

supination

2x10

to the back

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to introduce newspaper ripping into my routine? I want to cycle plate curls and tearing week by week.

Edited by LiftingKid

Well, my hip injury from box squatting has proved to be more serious than originally thought. It could be a tendonitis or something much worse. At this point, I must take a positive outlook in that this is time to work on grip and a lagging bench press. I can still deadlift (taking it easy right now) but cannot even squat with the bar lest I get a sharp pain. I am going in for an MRI tomorrow so I'll keep you guys posted.

Hope all works out well.

Thanks. I went in for the MRI today and I will have the results by tomorrow. The MRI itself was a challenge, I was in there for about an hour listening to horrible music that the technician put on to keep me occupied. I was told not to move my lower back or legs (that sucked). When I got out of the MRI, I was probably the happiest person alive :).

MY GRIP WAS FRIED TODAY

Bending-3/16" (I am in no rush)

7.25"-Bent very easily

7"- Bent easily

6.75"-medium difficulty bend

6.5"-medium difficulty bend

25lb Block Weight-

15 deadlift singles

Passes from hand to hand until failure (probably was not a smart idea)

8lb Sledge Levering- I met failure on quite a few of the motions.

4kg Plate Curls-

1x9

1x6

Newspaper tearing-

2 sheets folded in half 4 times-5 rips

I can tell that my grip is getting much stronger. I am able to handle nails that before I couldn't even kink. I feel that the 6" 3/16 HRS is going to be bent on Sunday. From there, should I go out and buy a bucket of timber ties or should I work down to 5" 3/16" HRS (could do both)?

The results came back early!

I have a grade 1 muscle sprain of the quadricep rectus femoris and the external rotators. I am happy the injury is not permanent and I can get over it within 2 weeks. I am probably going to be doing physical therapy every other day now to ensure I am healthy for the meet. I will be back to deadlifting heavy weights and squatting (with caution) by mid-March. In the meantime, I will do some good mornings to maintain what I have right now/slow atrophy and continue to work at squatting again.

I can tell that my grip is getting much stronger. I am able to handle nails that before I couldn't even kink. I feel that the 6" 3/16 HRS is going to be bent on Sunday. From there, should I go out and buy a bucket of timber ties or should I work down to 5" 3/16" HRS (could do both)?

The Ties will be harder because of the diameter. I would get some CRS is you can, and/or square stock at 3/16".

I decided to push today's workout a day early because I couldn't make it to the gym and will be going tomorrow. Instead of going through the entire grip workout, I just did bending, I will do the other work and light bending come Tuesday maybe.

Bending-3/16" HRS

7"-Bent in a few seconds

6.75"-bent easily

6.5"-medium bend

6"-BENT

I have the 6" nail in front of me right now and I am overjoyed at how far I have come. I couldn't even kink it about 3 weeks ago and now I bent it with a feeling that I could tackle another. At this point, I will go on a trip to Lowe's tomorrow and see about finding the 3/16" square stock + timber ties. I understand that the ties will be an extremely difficult bend for me right now but I plan on using them 2-4 weeks from now or as ME bends (then again, they could be easier than I think).

I decided I was going to try and clean + press the 25lb block weight. I actually did it with my left arm! This is interesting in that my non-dominant hand has a stronger grip. Keep in mind that the form was a little rough but I still need to look into getting the 65lb dumbbell cut up for deadlifts.

I went to Lowe's and couldn't find any of the square stock.....They only sold galvanized timber ties in buckets so I had to buy the regular ones individually (10 ties). I am going to work down to 5" 3/16" then try the ties. It's either that or I have to special order some square stock.

Edited by LiftingKid

I went to Lowe's and couldn't find any of the square stock.....They only sold galvanized timber ties in buckets so I had to buy the regular ones individually (10 ties). I am going to work down to 5" 3/16" then try the ties. It's either that or I have to special order some square stock.

if you cant bend the ones you have I have found that the galvanized ones are a tad bit easier because they are heat treated...just to let you know....when you get better they are a great warm up nail.

if you cant bend the ones you have I have found that the galvanized ones are a tad bit easier because they are heat treated...just to let you know....when you get better they are a great warm up nail.

I always thought than the galvanazation (sp?) process left the nails much harder to bend. I plan to try the TT's that I just bought some time this week (probably this upcoming Thursday). I predict that it will be a hard fought bend.

I always thought than the galvanazation (sp?) process left the nails much harder to bend. I plan to try the TT's that I just bought some time this week (probably this upcoming Thursday). I predict that it will be a hard fought bend.

at lowes if you look at their 5# box of nails...they call them 60D's but if you look their are a couple types...there are some spiraled galvanized nailes labeled as 60d's but they are a great beginner nail...I can bend them without padding....the galvanized coating actually cracks off when you bend the nail..and I think that the heat from when its galvanized makes it just a bit weaker....just had hot rolled steel vs Cold rolled steel.

at lowes if you look at their 5# box of nails...they call them 60D's but if you look their are a couple types...there are some spiraled galvanized nailes labeled as 60d's but they are a great beginner nail...I can bend them without padding....the galvanized coating actually cracks off when you bend the nail..and I think that the heat from when its galvanized makes it just a bit weaker....just had hot rolled steel vs Cold rolled steel.

It's going to be awhile before I can go out to Lowe's again..... I need the money to buy these nails (not exactly a cheap hobby, although I can think of more expensive ones).

I have decided to post regular workouts on this journal in addition to my grip workouts.

Westside Barbell Program/WS4SB-5 Weeks Out from my first meet

ME Upper

2 Board Press

barx10

85lbsx8

95lbsx6

105lbsx5

115lbsx3

125lbsx3

135lbsx2 (supposed to be three, the last rep got off the boards then paused)

145x1 (PR! This was a hard fought rep)

I am extremely happy with these. The 135lbs was a PR in terms of reps and looked much better than my single at 135lbs in my last board press workout. On the 145lbs, I had to concentrate on getting the weight up through technique rather than trying to "sloppily muscle it" (elbows tucked, good arch, etc.)

Dumbbell Bench Press 4x6

50lbsx4 (too heavy)

45lbsx6

45lbsx6

45lbsx5 (I am a bit disappointed with this set.)

Barbell Row-supposed to be 4x10

2x10 95lbs

1x7 95lbs

stopped here to avoid frying the CNS by failing another set.

The lats have always been my weak point in everything. Interestingly enough, my erectors and traps are strong, but the whole middle back just can't keep up. I can only hope that with proper training this will be corrected.

Side Bends 45lbs 4x10