European Grip Championships 2006

burkhardmacht

Im sure Kellersmann didn't mean to sound cocky or unfriendly at all. I think he's disapointed that some of the best aren't comming to the competition.

He is not disappointed. He doesn't like an indirect communication - and You know what I mean.

Whatever - Steve is right: there's no need to lobby anything. The comment of Theo concerning this point gives the impression that "no time" and "no money" to come to the contest is not the reason for staying home and we all know that. I don't like indirect communication too. So let's speak more clearly. There are (beside the true lack of money and time!!) different reasons to stay at home at the Euros:

1. to weak for the RT thumbless

2. no interest in supporting our sport (think about the Germans who came 2 times to Sweden - even with several fans and Hermann Korte the organizer of the Euros this year)

3. not man enough or too weak at all

I think every potential competitor knows because of which reason he does not come!

This post is my personal opinion - so don't say "uh, he's accusing again..." To prevent this I said that everyone can choose his reason for not competing himself...

I dont make that much so I can travel, or do anything else. Martin is a student - students in sweden doesn't make any money. I really dont know about Mario Sjögren and Johan Albrektsson.

Edited by jense

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• burkhardmacht

• mobsterone

• Martin_Arildsson

• Mikael Siversson

I dont make that much so I can travel, or do anything else. Martin is a student - students in sweden doesn't make any money. I really dont know about Mario Sjögren and Johan Albrektsson.

Yes, indeed - students are poor guys and I'm glad I've already finished with that! :whacked

Would be interesting to know about the others. I don't know if Mario is a member here - Johan definately, so he can email Mr. Korte if he would like to come. The offical writeup will be posted early enough - so time to think about it again.

There are (beside the true lack of money and time!!) different reasons to stay at home at the Euros:

2. no interest in supporting our sport (think about the Germans who came 2 times to Sweden - even with several fans and Hermann Korte the organizer of the Euros this year)

There are a few more reasons I would say although I am not so sure about the RT one.

Part of getting a team full of enthusiasm involves lobbying. For the Swedes that would typically involve me and Arne. As a more-or-less self proclaimed spokes person for the German grip organisation you have been an absolute disaster Burkhard.

So there you are. Read this quickly before it is removed by the moderators. You wanted a honest answer and you got one.

There are (beside the true lack of money and time!!) different reasons to stay at home at the Euros:

There are a few more reasons I would say although I am not so sure about the RT one.

Part of getting a team full of enthusiasm involves lobbying. For the Swedes that would typically involve me and Arne. As a more-or-less self proclaimed spokes person for the German grip organisation you have been an absolute disaster Burkhard.

So there you are. Read this quickly before it is removed by the moderators. You wanted a honest answer and you got one.

Yes, thanks Mikael! :)

But I don't know why You still think I'm a more-or-less self proclaimed speaker or organizer for the Euros or for German grip organisation.

1. There's no German Grip organisation.

2. Mr. Korte is the organizer of the Euros.

3. Mr. Korte instructed me to open this thread (so no self proclaiming here)

4. If there's no interest in the Euros this year, I wonder what the future brings for the grip sport - not the best start for a major comp to be boycotted three years after the beginning.

Yup! I'm too weak for the RT thumbless (compared to Steve, and probably everyone else). :)

And I'm no man, yet. Have to get a larger beard!

When is the last entry day? Just in case if I change my mind.

I know, or at least I think Korte is a busy person. But it would help if he got on board here, and starts promoting it himself since almost all of the potential competitors are on this forum.

I know, or at least I think Korte is a busy person. But it would help if he got on board here, and starts promoting it himself since almost all of the potential competitors are on this forum.

I have already tried to convince him a thousand times...

Edited by Burkhard Macht

When is the last entry day? Just in case if I change my mind.

~ mid July I think

Well I would have loved to have come to Germany, but my season has finished for this year. I hope that I can come to Germany another time. There is also many things I want to see in Germany.

Another day,

David

I don't understand the need to lobby anyone. How does that work. No one lobbies you to compete - you do it cos you like competition. Same as me and many others. No one should need to effectively kiss ass and sweet talk a country into coming or providing a team. If someone wanted to come and didn't have enough money they should seek sponsorship. Holidays etc are feeble excuses - lift during your holiday and chill for the time after the competition and until the holiday finishes.

A few of the German team drove 1000km for the 2004 and 2005. The majority of the Swedish worked out at Arne's gym - so they were local.

The German's when I first met them in 2004 were a very keen bunch of sociable guys who enjoyed their competition and then cracked a few beers open along with everybody else. Ditto the last bunch of guys at the 2005 event who ended up at Arne's house - more Germans than Swede's in fact. I KNOW for a fact that we will have a great time and for sure enjoy a few brews after. Ditto the American gang at the GGC and TooTall himself coming from the USA.

But I don't know why You still think I'm a more-or-less self proclaimed speaker or organizer for the Euros or for German grip organisation.

4. If there's no interest in the Euros this year, I wonder what the future brings for the grip sport - not the best start for a major comp to be boycotted three years after the beginning.

There are a number of reasons I think. Firstly, unlike the previous Euro competitions held in 2004 and 2005 the organiser is allowing a guest lifter, and a very strong one that is. This is controversial. I would prefer the Euro to be an open competition but it seems the organiser does not. This means that the European Champion is potentially going to look anemic if he is outlifted by a guest.

Secondly, the organiser started changing the events by replacing bending with RT thumbless. This in itself is not a big problem had it not been for the likely scenario that the guest lifter is probably very good at it and is thus even more likely to outshine a champion.

You have to make the competition attractive in order to get the big guns to show up (other than Steve, the teeny-weeny gun :inno ). Inviting Chad to compete outside of the main competition is not the way to go. It would have been better if you had either advertised it as a competition in which no non-European lifters are allowed to compete (guest or not) or if you had marketed the competition as a fully open championship and tried to get even more overseas competitors.

As usual you are getting the straightest answer from dear me. :whistel

There are a number of reasons I think. Firstly, unlike the previous Euro competitions held in 2004 and 2005 the organiser is allowing a guest lifter, and a very strong one that is. This is controversial. I would prefer the Euro to be an open competition but it seems the organiser does not. This means that the European Champion is potentially going to look anemic if he is outlifted by a guest.

Secondly, the organiser started changing the events by replacing bending with RT thumbless. This in itself is not a big problem had it not been for the likely scenario that the guest lifter is probably very good at it and is thus even more likely to outshine a champion.

You have to make the competition attractive in order to get the big guns to show up (other than Steve, the teeny-weeny gun :inno ). Inviting Chad to compete outside of the main competition is not the way to go. It would have been better if you had either advertised it as a competition in which no non-European lifters are allowed to compete (guest or not) or if you had marketed the competition as a fully open championship and tried to get even more overseas competitors.

As usual you are getting the straightest answer from dear me. :whistel

Very good Mikael! Sometimes I think we could work together but it seems to me that You still don't understand (or ignore) :blink that I'm not the organizer and I don't decide anything concerning the organisation of the comp (RT vs bending; the "replacement" of bending took place before the "guest-question" came into play).

I mentioned several times that I do my best to arrange things here. The aspect if we should invite guests or do open contests should not be the real reason that nobody wants to compete. Real enthusiastic people will come instead of all politic debates and nobody needs to tempt them.

So I don't think that this was the straightest answer because You did not mention the real reasons for not competing - and You know them.

BTW: I think the real reaons are politics - and personal differences - not only between You and me, Mikael.

So I wonder why You are so critical concerning the Euros - I thought You are the "father" of the Euros. If You like to criticize habitual You better distinguish between personal aversion and a major contest! That would allow You to support the Euros and that would be a good thing.

So it would be better to come to the contest and compete. The next year we should discuss those problems a lot ealier to avoid the same situation and problems.

So I don't think that this was the straightest answer because You did not mention the real reasons for not competing - and You know them.

Yes it was. These reasons in combination with those I gave in a previous post, that we think you (and to a somewhat lesser degree Florian) have been, shall we say, difficult.

Yes it was. These reasons in combination with those I gave in a previous post, that we think you (and to a somewhat lesser degree Florian) have been, shall we say, difficult.

That bothered me too.

edit: we can pm about this

Edited by DuTCH

Mikael and Burkhard.

Take your arguments or whatever it is off the public grip forum.

In fact, take it off the board period. This means the PM function too.

Thanks.

Chad,

- You

- Steve Gardener

until now: no one else except the German competitors

Any news here?

Here's the english version of the official announcement of the competition:

Euros 2006

Here's the english version of the official announcement of the competition:

Euros 2006

Burkhard,

any "new" competitors signed in, or still the German competitors, Chad and Steve?

Thanks

I have heard about some very strong guys who will probably compete - but let's wait and see until mid July. :rock

I have heard about some very strong guys who will probably compete - but let's wait and see until mid July. :rock

Interesting. Pls tell me more.

From which country are they qualified?

Thorsten, patience is a virtue! ;)

Who?! :)

What will the coeffient for RT thumbless be?