The Boyz From The Wirral

gazza

Today i dragged out the tool box loaded it upto 106lbs ready for max,doolash and carl as well as myself to start our training towards Peter Hornes memorial grip competition,set up by David in memory of his Father.

I was going to just do laps of my small garden,but we decided to put the toolbox in the car and go to A long straightish road in Thurstaston,then we decided to go the hole hog and hit the sand :blink So down to the beach and the nice wet sand,we measured out a 30metres coarse and off we went.

Peter Horne shure had a good grip on the old boy :cool as we could only manage 60metres each but i no one thing this is just the start.

We had about 6 goes each and then tried to lift some beach rocks and then max shouldered a big tree trunk/drift wood.

then it was back to mine for some bending,well warmed up but knackered out came the bars,i killed another G8 and then a pre kinked 6" piece of 5/16"CRS i was happy after the body beating the tool box had just given me.

We even fastened on 6mms bars to make the handle into a triangle to simulate Peters tool box handle.

A fun day out at the beach :D

I will try and post some pics and video later.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gazza

• maximus1

• mighty mouse

• doolash

what a training sesion we had todayafter the beach when we got to gazzas i found enough strengh to bend some square stock pb for me i think :cool

:rolleyes ohh get you with ya fancy colours!it was a great days training and im sure more beach action will follow,good work everyone,and you mr square stock!

Happy New Year to one and all!

Steve

Yep i killed a bottle of Jack Daniels yesterday.

:tongue just the one,ya lightweight! :laugh

Steve

Yep i killed a bottle of Jack Daniels yesterday.

:tongue just the one,ya lightweight! :laugh

twas in bed at 10.30pm lastnite me :whacked but was drinkin as soon as i got home mightymouse dropped me at the off licence on the way home :)

Sounds Great way to end the year.

Gazza how did you attach the bars I have been thinking of how to stimulate a thin handle but have not come up with anything decent yet.

We were gonna hit Thurstaston beach again today for the toolbox or 1 handed farmers,Carls(mightymouse) car head gasket went so that put paid to that so we decided to just walk to Thurstaston common about 1.75miles doing a 1 handed farmers relay.You go till your hand is shot then swap over and go again,then the next man goes so out my back gate we went on our merry way :D

when we got to thurstaston which is the highest piont above sea lever on the wirral we stopped and Maximus1 got his photo taken by some japanese tourists :cool really :D A few people had a lift of the 50kilo steel suitcase and a few people expressed interest 1 was a journalist so i told her all about the gboard and the oldtime strongman tradition and the training we are doing for Davids Dads Memorial comp and why,so we might have converted a few people as i gave out my adress and the gripboards website to a few people.

Next time were taking some nails and bolts and a keg :D

Was great fun and the weather was nice for this time of the year and i am starting to stiffen up now :D

We finished off by ripping some cards back at mine.

super job yesterday guys

i had a bath and got in bed for an hour when i got home exept that hour turned into about 15 :blush

never mind i deserved it ;)

doolash

:D extreme kind of workout, but really good fun just the kind of thing to blast away the christmas and new year excesses,a 3 1/2 mile hike with a 50kg suitcase excellent work guys!and i became famous expect to see my face on Japanese washing powder boxes sometime in the new year :laugh

looking forward to our next adventure into the world of extreme grip training! :cry

I'm not sure how old I was when I read of Arnold and Franco going out in the woods and squating all day long. My friends and I did it one time - great fun but brutal day - reminds me of a day like you boys did. Sore for days afterwards but PRs for all 10 days later.

Chris

Yep i read that about Arnold as well :D

My back garden is really small so finding somewere to just be able to keep going is great and you cannot beat the beach or countryside for the nice fresh air and also a change of scenery is great also plus you get to meet other people along the way and educate them about are wonderfull hobby :D

:D as well as our regular monday and friday training sessions,we have started going out into the car park at work in our lunch hour,not that strange i hear you cry,but our lunch hour is from 12 midnight to 1am!

Its v quiet and gets you outside away from the table of death(smokers) but we have good fun with the weights just a bit of farmers with a 50lb disc,there are also some very handy steps to walk up and down carrying stuff!we figure every bit of training helps! :happy

without giving to much away how far do you each manage on the toolbox carry.I have not set a handle up yet but am doing some sidebends with 100lb sandbag.

Graeme

60metres each hand was tuff for me and max with mike and carl doing a bit less but 1 things for shure we are all gonna get alot better :D

Went to the beach again today.

Did farmers walks immediately followed by farmers pinch walks with a 50lbs plate in each hand the plates have a large bulbous lip around each one so are hard to pinch for time as you end up useing just your fingertips and thumbs to hang onto the lip.

Young Doolash really surpassed himself today,welldone mate :rock

It was very windy today so this made the farmers really hard fighting against the wind and feet sinking in the wet sand.

We then messed about lifting some beach rocks.