Champion Of Champions Grip Contest 2005

David Horne

Well after a few viewings today which were once again all full, I may have sorted the venue, but it's just out of Stafford. It is available, and I have preliminary booked it, and will fully book upon viewing it on Thurday.

So good news!

David

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• jimwylie1

• gazza

Great news, another sponsor onboard!

Pullum Sports have sponsored the contest.

We have bought our chalk from Pullum Sports since 1992, and they have very kindly agreed to provide some new chalk for the day. We've always bought it here as in the UK you can't buy any better.

http://www.pullumsports.com/

David

I've always thought the price fine, especially for a kilo bag. Also it's nice chalk, perfect for grip athletes.

David

I'm looking forward to this comp. I will only be able to complete the majority of the lifts right hand only though. I went back to the hospital yesterday and things are healing but my collar bone won't be back to full strength for 2 to 3 months :(.

It should be a good comp though. Just glad I can take part in some capacity.

5 attempts will be nice - potentially easier to set records with all those attempts to go at :)

I agree. I think that there will be some very big numbers at this event. The GGC has the biggest sheer number of competitors and a few are of a high level (all nice guys mind - enjoy my present to you all) but this event has only the top three of any competition invited and only a few have risen to the challenge.

I wish the sponsorship support was bigger. I know ALL the potentail sponsors visit the Grip Board and they need to set aside their differences and recognise the level here.

If a man places well here he will have beaten many former champions.

In some ways it's nice not to have the pressure (as I won't be able to complete all the lifts). I still have my right hand though. It's time to push that v bar record up a bit. I know David will beat it and with Big Steve coming anything could happen. Hopefully training with David will help me up my own lift a little :)

I have just been discussing with David what we think will happen on the day.

A pinch of over 110-kilos and several between 90 and 100.

More v-bars over 150-kilos than in any previous event. One will exceed 180-kilos.

I think a one hand o'bar deadlift exceeding 400-pounds with a 500 possible.

And more.

I am not so sure about 180k plus in the v-bar. Some rise to the occasion in the v-bar on the platform whereas others perform way below their training PR's. I think Jim will take the v-bar without too much trouble and set a new WR. David can be very strong in the v-bar in training but has yet to show this in competition with the no hook rules (same with Johan Albrektsson and Mikael Linden). All the three latter ones have pulled 170k+ n training bur have competition PR's at 150k or less. I have learned that what you do in training has little to do with what you do in competition in this lift. Some just can't perform at their peak in this lift unless they get the adrenaline boost from standing on a platform.

The odds for a new WR is slightly higher at this comp. than usual as the v-bar event in the second event rather than the third.

I'm starting to take what he says with a pinch of salt. Normlly very good if he likes someone he lets his preferences creep in instead of looking at the facts and proper odds. However I do agree with SOME comments regarding those who lift massive weights of of competition but never in.

My best out of competition was 155-kilos, my best in 153 (approx). As opposed to 171+ and then 140+ recently by Johan.

Oh yeah Mikael, I can't perform under pressure.

Hahahahahaha  :yikes

Not in the v-bar David. I can post your results in your last three competitions if you wish. :whistel

Jim pulled 163.8k in the 2004 IG and 160k at the 2005 IG. Your competition average is roughly 20k lower.

You did perform very well under pressure in other events (like grippers in the LGC VII) but certainly not in the v-bar which was what I was referring to. ;)

I just want to point out that you refer quite a lot to Johan Albrektson while all he has done is lift 171kg in training. David his last training sessions were off the hook, with 173kg (no vid though). And competitions wise, comparing Johan with David, the total only differs 7,4kg.. :kiss:kiss

Edited by DuTCH

That you are preference salted :whistel

Look up trash talk Dutchboy he he

Seriously, like any sporting event odds can be created based on observations between training and competition. Mikeal and David are both quite good at that and for David it's very much a case (something I do myself now as well) of looking at the form buy perusing competition reports here on the Gripboard.

Case in point. You have done 150+ kilos with both hands in a previous event but did less at the European where we tied for first (ahem :cry ). I have done (right handed) 153 and again matched you recently with a two hand total. prior to my back injury my best out of comp v-bar was 155k in plates (about 157-158 total)

David and Johan have both clips/photos of them doing a lot more out-of-competition than in. So how does one compare like with like? By looking at the implement - same now as nigh on all of us have access to a LGC replica and then what was done in competition. So comp results are the only real comparison worth a look. You, like me, seem to enjoy the platform and performing to a crowd. There are a bunch of very strong guys who (I exagerrate to prove a point) fall to bits when faced with other athletes and people watching and judging.

Then, as David says, it's being good across the whole competiton and not single events. I've beaten both David and Johan face to face in competition on single events but never for a top place. Indeed I beat everyone last year on the bending at the European and everyone at the GGC on the Rolling Thunder. Still only got 4th overall at both events.

So back to the trash talk... bring plasters to help cover your wounded ego ha ha.

That's what I was joking about earlier. He is very good at breaking down the numbers but still supports his main man Johan even though... he he :blush

That's what I was joking about earlier. He is very good at breaking down the numbers but still supports his main man Johan even though... he he :blush

That was my whole point :happy

Ok I've just checked my training books.

Proir to my comeback my best vbar on lgc bar is;

In contest 143.8k both hands in the 2004 Iron Grip

In training it was 152k R/H and my 143.8k L/H in contest was my best.

Not much buckling under pressure there! Very similar.

Ok since August this year I have changed my technique to the Mikael style.

Now it is.

In training R/H 173k, in fact lifted 163k 12" high, Nick can tell you about this as he was there. L/H 153K.

In contest, well who knows? But I think it will be close to the latter figures. :laugh

Goodbye record!!