Champion Of Champions Grip Contest 2005

David Horne

Thats the Daddy of all grippers.

Steve if i come along do you promise not to keep me up drinking till all hours :D

Gazza mate i never had you down as a shandy drinkin lightweight lol! :D

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Horne

• mobsterone

• jimwylie1

• gazza

Max

I am a shandy drinkin/jack daniels drinkinking lightweight :D But big steve always refuses to let me outa his room till he cant talk no more,which is a very long time :laugh

Anybody in the UK thats on the gripboardthat has never met,david horne,elizabeth,Bionic Jim and bro,scotty and Scott,Mobster etc get yourself over to Davids for the comp of comps,hospitality is second to non and the comaraderie is awesome.

I ain't the only one to blame. If Mike Daly's other half hadn't brought the half bottle of scotch to go with the beers we'd have finished drinking at 3am instead of 5am ha ha. I must admit one of the best parts of my going to all these contests is the meet and greet and sharing of brews after. The only problem with the GGC was that I was 6 or so hours ahead of the guys. Otherwise... :happy

Gazza,

If you get an early train I'll pick you up from the station. That way we can get you a decent breakfast in at my place before the comp. You might need it if your going to be loading etc.

Jim

Thanks Matey,i am planning on comeing up at least the day before,for the

pre-comp steak etc :D

David i will bring up the blob then as well,saves worrying about postage etc.

I will also get an anvil horn simulator made for a prize as well,would you prefare it shiny metal or painted black.

England here I come. Booked the flight a few mins. ago. Might want to start training now I guess. Hey need to sell some DVDs to pay for all this. Now where did I put my A game? Must be in the basement!

Wow, this looks like it will be an amazing competition! If anyone there is able to take some video of the contest, or just some individual events, or anything at all, and post it in the Gallery, that would be great. Boy if I had the means I'd fly over to England just to spectate and hang around. :D

Gazza,

Yes bring the items, this will be great. A nice black anvil horn simulator will be excellent.

Thanks,

David

Steve,

That is great!

We will have a fun filled week.

I will put a full list of competitors and sponsors next week.

Also a run through of the rules.

David

Whoops man you know yer busy when yer months a running together. Wow. Must have been thinking of another trip. Thanks for catching that. :blush

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just a quick note to say that hopefully we will have all the info this week, ie. rules, sponsors, etc.

It's all coming together nicely.

Later,

David

Will the T-shirts be for competetors only? Or will you be selling them (obviously fron only) to help pay for the event?

I'd love to come, but it's my Godson's 4th birthday, I've got him a trumpet!

Competitors

Theo Burggraaff ( Holland)

Andy Christie (England)

Steve Gardener (England)

Frank Henritzi (Germany)

David Horne (GB)

Dave Johnson (England)

Florian Kellersman (Germany)

Amaury Macaire (France)

Burkhard Macht (Germany)

Steve McGranahan (USA)

Nick McKinless (England)

Richard Scott (England)

Jim Wylie (England)

Sponsors

Stan Pike http://www.hand-grippers.com/

Fat Bastard Barbell Company http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/

Dave Lowe T-shirts

John Wood http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/

Gary Hunt

Whey Consortium http://www.wheyconsortium.co.uk/

Nick McKinless

Robert Baraban http://www.handgripper.net/neu/www/index.php

David Horne & Elizabeth Talbot

And a keg of beer from Frank Henritzi

Rules for The Champion of Champions Contest 2005

No wrist straps, gloves, wrapping or taping of any kind will be allowed on any event.

On one-handed events both hands will be tested.

Five attempts will be allowed on each hand for each event.

1. Two Hands Pinch Lift

The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip and lifted off the floor until the hands are above the knees. You do not have to be erect upon completion, but your legs do have to be locked. The lift finishes on the referee’s signal, and then you must lower the weight under control. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

A rising bar will be used on this event.

2. One Hand Vertical bar Lift

The weight will be positioned between the lifter’s feet. The lifting hand must be no further than 5 cm from the top of the hand to the top of the bar when the lift commences. No locking of the thumb is allowed. The lifter will raise the bar until it is a minimum of 5 centimetres off the ground and then lower down again without loosing the grip. The lifting hand must not touch the legs or body.

3. One Hand Thumbless Grip Deadlift using an Olympic Bar.

The bar may either be raised in front of the lifter, or the lifter may straddle the bar. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

4. One Arm Hammer Lever to Head

This event begins with the lifter having his straight arm strapped to a trough-shaped level (to prevent movement/raising of the limb during the lift). He is then handed a sledgehammer handle that has been adapted to enable it to be weighted. This must be held at the end of the handle (so the hand is flush with the end of the shaft), and lowered to the head by bending the wrist. Once the weight touches his head, the lifter must raise the hammer to a vertical position again using his wrist strength. The shaft of the hammer may deviate in any direction during the lift, providing the lifter corrects any such deviation using only the lifting arm and returns the hammer to the upright position without any assistance. The lifter is responsible for his own safety during this event, although if the non-lifting hand touches the hammer at any stage, the lift is deemed a failure. The hammer length is 900mm.

5. Weighted Gripper Holds

The aim of this event is to close the most difficult gripper possible and hold it for a duration of 10 seconds whilst gripping in its jaws a thin shoelace bearing a 1.25kg weight. The lifter is responsible for inserting the shoelace into the gripper himself (not more than 1” of surplus shoelace may be held in the jaws). The count will begin when the gripper and weight are raised parallel to the floor and when the gripper is vertical. The shoelace must not lock against the hand in any way: this will cause the referee to stop the attempt, thus failing the lift. The lift is successful when the count reaches 10, at which time the lifter may release the weight. The final score for this event will be based on the hardest gripper the lifter closes for the full ten seconds during the five attempts.

This is the only event run on a round robin system, whereby the lifter may choose a higher or lower gripper for each attempt.

Hey!!!

I brought two of them, but Arne just hid the 2nd one from you. :D

One for me then and one for the others... There's a bar in the hotel, the town centre is five minutes walk and a shop nearby which sells beer. Depends on the venue of course.

As much as I like the names on the list (lots I've beaten) I find it interesting to note the names that are NOT competing...

Sponsors

Will the sponsors please send the sponsored items soon so I can put up a list of prizes. Also include any promotional material that you would like distributed or displayed.

Entrance fee

£20 GBP or 30 Euro. Fees to be in by October 1st. This is so I have confirmation of competitors for the printing of named t-shirts.

UK payment by cheque or paypal.

Euro payment by Euros cash (sent at your own risk) or paypal.

Steve McGranahan you can pay me when you get here.

Accommodation

Please contact for details to book if necessary.

I am trying today to get a new venue as the other one fell through. Transfer to and from the venue will be arranged.

David

Thanks Steve.

I've been out today searching for a new venue, lots of petrol and many phone calls, but I may have the place sorted. Will find out tomorrow, hopefully it's not already booked, then I can book and pay for it.

Keep you posted.

David