The #3 Challenge Log

Roper

Thanks BIG T!

Today i went over to the BARN. That's where all the strong man training happens. I can't always go there, even though it's just a 30minute drive. My parents aren't very supportive, and since i still live at home, i can't get the car.. No opel, no bmw for me :(

I borrowed my friends car, to go there. Haven't been there in a long while, and i could definitely feel it. After a 225 stone, i was puffing already.. Man, it had me beat, zero condition. I managed a 115kg stone too, but that had me even more beat. No more smoking for me...

Then i did farmer walks with 100kg each hand. Not much of a go. Only went for 25meter, and that's not good enough...

I also did some bending. I bought some 5,5mm and 6mm nails. 5,5mm are 12 or 14 cm, and the 6mm are 14 cm. I did some fine bending there. I don't feel my hand any more, even though i still have a very aching shoulder. There is always something. Don't know if i mentioned my shoulder before, but it hurts so bad, even when i drive i feel it... The shoulder will probably set me back for an upcoming strong man event..

started with 5mm nails. they are 9cm long. 3 1/2" long. I did 4 of them. Felt really easy. I remember 2 sessions ago i couldn't even get those darn nails. Then i went over to the 5,5mm nails. Even though they are a little bigger, the difference is noticeable.. Did two of them. Felt really good!

Finished with a 5mm nail again.

I have major troubles with wrapping. I don't feel very secure, as i am afraid it would go straight through the towel again. I now wrap my nail with two towels, but first i wet the towel a bit, so it's a little tighter. Maybe later on a leather wrap?!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuTCH

• Roper

• BigT

• FrankyBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

PR! bent a 6mm nail, 16cm long. WOoohOOOoo! Did it like a pulling style, like david horne does. It actually works. Easier nails, i can do DO, but when they are heavier, i can't get the first bend with DO.

Grippers, well, i had 2 closes and 2 misses. The two misses were after the closes... First i did a really light close, then i did a miss by a hair. Then i picked up my girlfriend from the station, and asked here to watch me close it maybe again. Well, this was at least 20 minutes after the first close. Came home, quick warm up, and blam, closed. Held it shut for 20 seconds!! i WAS so happy, i did a little dancing while holding it shut!

I read GAMIDON his blog, and saw a lot of high volume. Initially i wanted to do some KTA, but i wanted to give the volume a try.

RH, did 50 reps on my filed #2 in 6 sets. Rest between sets about 1-2 minutes.

LH, i did 50 reps with my JAG #1 in 5 sets. No aching hand anymore

;)

see YA!

Don't worry about your bending Dutch.

After ( :inno ) the contest on saturday you will get an intro of the best benders here in various styles.

I'll bet you get down an G5 very easy then.

Can't wait to meet you! :)

Me to man! We will have a good time! What do you need, so you can teach me the right way to bend BEFORE the competition ;) Burki needs some sate saus, moser wants grolsch, what do you like?

Sorry Dutch!

I might be the only one that doesn't underrate you. :D

And I don't want to confuse you with those highly complex styles just before the contest. :whistel

Thanks for believing in me!! I will try not to dissapoint you, no, wait, second that, i WILL not dissapoint you. Gimme a G5, i'll kill it!!

I'll have to bring my own "DuTCH ChoColate fLavoureD style" into the MGC game then!!

I'll bring a lot of nails and bolts with me.

So you can have a go for a G5 or even G8 if you like.

Stay healthy!!

I read GAMIDON his blog, and saw a lot of high volume. Initially i wanted to do some KTA, but i wanted to give the volume a try.

RH, did 50 reps on my filed #2 in 6 sets. Rest between sets about 1-2 minutes.

LH, i did 50 reps with my JAG #1 in 5 sets. No aching hand anymore

Never take gripper advice from gamidon, he is an idiot :D

I am an idiot too, is there still room in your club? :trout

Btw, i does feel nice, that high volume. Pdoire already suggested it too, not a bad idea at all master P!!

DEADLIFT day again,

i wanted to do reps with 200kg.. So, i gave it a try..

I started with my warm up, last set was with 1 rep with 180kg

Then the work set:

i did 10 reps with 200kg. Not too shabby. Did take my rest in between reps, maybe 30 seconds or so. I will aim for 20 reps in one long set. So next week will be 12 reps. Held the last rep at lock out for 20 seconds.. This fried my left hand pretty good.

I do this because i think i stalled a bit on the deadlift. A lot of factors have to be on the money, and they aren't always. I think this is a pretty constructive way to bring up my strength.

Tried some bending, but that was a mistake. Did bent some 5,5mm but no 6,5mm yet. My hands are too sore, mucho sore actually.

Grippers, did 70 reps with my filed #2. That is, with a lot of sets.... Couldn't do much more than 70 with the #2. Then one set with my #1 JAG, and i did 32 consecutive reps.

LH, a little problem with the soreness, no go..

I don't know yet if i will rest thursday and friday, or just friday. Maybe 2 days, to really rest well...? And Kick butts in germany :D:trout

Tomorrow my last V-bar workout. Hope to get 125 or 130 up with RH. Lh should be good for 115-120kg. I'll let you guys know...

Very bad V-bar workout. people giving me strange looks, asking stupid questions and draining my energy levels to a low point.... no #'s worth putting up...

Grippers, wasn't good at #2, so i did some high volume with #1..

Lh, was ready for a few #1 closes..

RH, i did 200 reps with #1 in around 8 sets..

LH i 'only' did 50 reps in 5 sets..

Well, the MGC, what's to say? I really had a great time, never had i ever met such a bunch of fun guys!

I had a great day, even though it was very hot, about 30Celcius...

Grippers didn't went so well. I am really not consistent yet... One day it's great, the other day i am not close. I did manage to close an easy #3, rated 2.8 LH went allright, a 2.4.

Pinch, well, that was a major surprise for me. When i first touched that thing, it was loaded with 25kg. I thought never in a million years... Well, eventually i did manage the 25, and i even went over it 8kg. I ended up with 33kg something... (franky came really close, but i knew i had to top his score of 32kg sth..

V-bar, man, do i like this event. I remember i touched my bar for the first time and only got 40kg.... I surprised myself, ending up with 135 R and 125 L..

And then the bad event, bending.. I did this maybe 8 times, end it showed. I don't have strong wrists, i don't have good technique... I wanted to do DO but everybody said that wasn't possible since i have big arms.. :laugh

Farmers hold... I was trying to go last, so i knew what i should get. Dirk, who also does highland games, looked strong and i wanted to go after him.. well, there i did 1min 42 seconds. Thorsten suddenly almost beat me there, but came 1 second short!!! PFFf!

All in all, great times.

congrats on the success in the contest, I know we'll see you in the European championships one day

Hopefully we will T!

Forgot to mention that every monday i will really start working my 20rep squats. I wanted to start out very low in weight, so i began with 90kg for an easy 20. Next week will be 95kg.. I do this, so i can adapt to the stress and this way i won't burn out so fast on those squats.. ( i once did 20 reps with 135kg, and never did it again. Knocked my socks off!)

Today some v-bar, forearm and calves..

V-bar, my v-bar feels much hard then at MGC. It's so slippery and slick. Stainless steel, so nothing sticks to it to make it easier..

5 reps with 50kg

3 reps with 60kg

3 reps with 75kg

3 reps with 90kg

3 reps with 100kg

3 reps with 105kg

3 reps with 110 kg

Some barbell curls for 3 sets and dumbell wrist curls..

Calves just a few sets of 15 reps seated raise...

Tonight i'll do some bending, trying to bring that up.. High volume, hopefully.

Training,

Yesterday i wasn't able to do regular lat pulldowns! my shoulder is hurting severely, and today i will visit a physiologist. I can do deads, so:

12 rest-pause reps with 200kg..

Incline shrugs for 3 sets of 15-12...

Training,

Yesterday i wasn't able to do regular lat pulldowns! my shoulder is hurting severely, and today i will visit a physiologist.  I can do deads, so:

12 rest-pause reps with 200kg..

Incline shrugs for 3 sets of 15-12...

rest up that shoulder, don't be getting injured now Dutch, your doing good :cool

Bending:

3 nails bent DO as a warm up- 5,5mmx14cm

Then i had a go at 6,5mm but still not strong enough..

Then i did DU with 6mmx16cm.. I can kink the nails pretty easy with DU, and finish it with DO.. I am getting there.. 6 nails bent, that's a PR!

Bending, today i had a go at the 6,5mm but that was another ego breaker.. Should have listened to Gator.... :dry

Hmm, so, back at the 6mm... I did a few DO bends, and when my wrists are tired, i switch to DU.. I can almost fully bend the nail DU in one movement... So that is good, i guess :blush

I did 8 nails of 6mm and called it a day. 2 more than last time, HA! PR...

Not much weight training, last monday i did 20 reps with 225lbs... That is not a pr, but it was mad though.. 2morrow deads, so that is going to be good, and v-bar too. Maybe pinch also, didn't do that yet.. Hmm, busy day tomorrow.. :happy

Started to do some squats again,

last week was 20 reps with 100kg

This week i did 102,5 for 20 reps... Slowly progress, i don't want to go overboard and reap the gains of microloading!

V-bar- both hands i did 125kg on my hard V-bar... Before MGC i only managed 120, so 5 kg PR.. Maybe next week another go, or i will have to see what happens in Swiss.... Goal: 140-150....

Bending, PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I don't know what is up with that! I can bend 6mm nails easy as a cookie, but i can't even kink a 6,5 mm.. What's up with that?

Hold your horses!!!

I got some advice from BIG BASTARD Martin Kotte, and he said just pre kink the nail. So i prekinked it.

Did a prekink until 40degr....

Went down!!

Another one to 40...

Went down!!

Another one to 40...

Went down, after a 5 minute battle!! Sweat dripping, forearms pumped.... This just gave me perspective... It will take time, but i will get there!

Result: 3 nails of 6,5mmx180cm bent under 2"

• 4 weeks later...

Well, geo, i plan on doing them for a looooong while.. I hate training legs.. Kinda like hate to love them.

Normally a leg routine would be so excruciating that i would have to recover more than 2 days.. By using the 20reps i feel like i am still progressing, but at a slower rate.

For example, i once bounced into the 20 reps with 300lbs, and almost passed out. I managed, but it wasn't pretty!

Now i started doing them, starting with 90kg, and now i am at 110kg.. I increase by 2,5kg. By starting very slowly, your whole body can adapt to the stress and the effort that goes along with the 20..

• 3 weeks later...
Well, geo, i plan on doing them for a looooong while.. I hate training legs.. Kinda like hate to love them.

Normally a leg routine would be so excruciating that i would have to recover more than 2 days.. By using the 20reps i feel like i am still progressing, but at a slower rate.

For example, i once bounced into the 20 reps with 300lbs, and almost passed out. I managed, but it wasn't pretty!

Now i started doing them, starting with 90kg, and now i am at 110kg.. I increase by 2,5kg.  By starting very slowly, your whole body can adapt to the stress and the effort that goes along with the 20..

Almost passed out ! thats when you know you are doing them properly!

He he :D

Nice geo, finally you are really workin out! :) How much weight did you use? I am now loading the bar up to 117,5kg... But it's though! I am thinking to take one week off, and go for a 1Rm and some lighter squats..