The #3 Challenge Log

Roper

This is the official log for the challenge to close and certify the IM #3. We`ll keep updating our progress here to keep to fire burning and calluses bleeding :mosher .

I`ll go first;

The christmas seems to have depleted some strenght from my hands, as I only managed 1 complete rep with the #2 :angry: .

Some thumb work, and then I rolled my new .5 kilo marble dexterity balls until numbness set in. I`ll keep working "regular" stuff until I can overcrush the #2 for reps, and then I`ll start the KTA. I also need to order two new BB grippers, one between the #2 and the #3 as a middle-way target, and the other harder than the #3 for negatives.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuTCH

• Roper

• BigT

• FrankyBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my training first. I hope you don't mind posting that too, i have started a log somewhere, much easier to do it here...

I will only write my max sets in kilo's

Pulldown, 5*90kg

Deadlift, 5*200

Pulley row, 6*100 +4 rest/pause

Pullover, 8*36

then i went home, took some oranges and bananas and while watching the final episode of friends i did my gripper work:

This wasn't a good way too start.

After training continuously for almost two weeks my hands have gone strengtless...

I did 4 OC and some negatives with the #3. Then i tried to close the 2 but that didn't go...

Well, bygones, i will take my rest tomorrow, with some plier holds :unsure

Good luck!

Dutch,

Take your restdays as restdays. If you are only having them few and far between,don`t spoil those by doing "just" something. It`s hard not to do anything,I know, but it`s a must.

Tuesday/ yesterday:

I tried not to do any grip work. Couldn't resist to give my #1 a rep. But that was it.

Then i went training chest and biceps (classic combi, i know)

Bench 6*117,5 kg

Incline Bench 6*87,5

Dips bdwght + 30kg 8reps

Fly 10*45kg

Barbell curl 4*57,5kg + 2 rest/pause

Crucifix curl 6*16

Hammer 6*28

That was it.

I just notice your avatar's pose..... Funny, mine is almost the same... :ohmy

Keep crushing roper!

Just did grip training

warmup 20reps left and right storegripper

6overcrushes left and right with #1.

5 closed holds for 8 seconds with #2 R

4 near closed holds 8 seconds with #2 L

repped out with store gripper

Edited by DuTCH

No grip training.. Sore hands :(

Weights:

Clean and press 8*67,5 last set was 2*75kg

Dmb press 8*26

Machine press 12*65

Crucifix 40seconds 12kg

French press 12*40kg

Pushdown 7*65kg

One arm ext. 12*14

All noted sets are the last set, every exercise gets 3 or 4 sets.

OK,2005. My palms are so sore from the grippers, that I just did some DLìng today.

I started with one-finger ring lifting, with 10 kg on the pin. My max. finger lift was 35 kg`s with middlefingers. Then I did a few sets with a regular 1-hand pulley handle, and finished with one-hand ring lifts with 90 kg.

That`s it.

Just did a test workout with grippers; 3 reps with #2 in the right hand. Leftie can`t still do any :angry:

Now a couple of rest days, whole lower arm feels busted.

Yesterday, after a busy new year, i tried my #3 no set, and got it with my right hand a little beyond parallel! Pr, and very motivating :)

Monday

Weights:

Bench 6*120kg

INcline bench 6*95kg

Dips10*30kg +body

Mach. Flye 7*50

Barbell curl 6*50kg

Alt. curl 8*18kg

Hammer curl 6*24kg

Dumbell wrist curls and plate wrist curls for forearms

At home grippers:

6OC on the #1

7attempts on the #2. RH i closed it 4 times, left hand almost. All attempts were released slowly, smooth out. It seems that i am getting trouble with the final crush on the #2. My hands just lack the strenght to really squeeze shut the small opening. But i will prevail!

Not much grip training this week. I am trying to figure out how many rest i should take. Sometimes squeezing the #1 hurts, or its just a lack of proper warmup :unsure

I will try to use more strapholds, first with the #1. For people who read this log, i have a question: Does anybody do strapholds with three or just two fingers? Is this beneficial for the crush?

Weight training tuesday:

Squats, lights, 10*110kg

Deadlift (forgot chalk, slippery bar, no maxing out) 3*205kg :(

Pulldown 5*85kg

One arm row 8*38kg

Pullover 10*40kg

Pulley row 3*12*85kg

Thursday is clean and press again :rock

Dutch

Which fingers do you mean? It`s the strenght of the ring finger and pinkie that really come in to play in the close; which is the hardest part. So if that`s your problem part then it might do some good doing some isolation work to bring them up in strenght.

Not much grip training this week. I am trying to figure out how many rest i should take. Sometimes squeezing the #1 hurts, or its just a lack of proper warmup :unsure

I will try to use more strapholds, first with the #1.  For people who read this log, i have a question: Does anybody do strapholds with three or just two fingers? Is this beneficial for the crush?

Weight training tuesday:

Squats, lights, 10*110kg

Deadlift (forgot chalk, slippery bar, no maxing out) 3*205kg :(

Pulldown 5*85kg

One arm row 8*38kg

Pullover 10*40kg

Pulley row 3*12*85kg

Thursday is clean and press again :rock

All strapholds are beneficial to the crush. They are tough and can take a bit more recovery time!!

I`ve been doing the couple of first weeks of the KTA over and over, to get to the level of being able to OC comfortably the #2. Now I`m getting there and I`ll change to a bit more infrequent straphold-routine now.

Edited by Roper

Good to hear from you. OC with the 2, hmmm, not my thing yet :(

Tonight i'll try some grip training. Strapholds with two and three fingers on a store gripper and the #1.

Weight training:

Clean and press, this went really well. Seeing movies of the diesel crew and the like, i was really motivated: I did 4 sets of 3...

First: 60, 65,75 and 80kg... And then a big pull for 85kg! This is the third week for me, making progress.... Goal is to do this for a contest in March, where i'll have to do it with a log of 85kg. I want to make 12 reps or so....time is on my side..

Some dmb presses.

Front raise: 6*20kg. Pain in shoulders..

Crucifix: 50 seconds with 12kg

French press: 8*50kg

Pulldown: 8*50kg

One arm ext.: 12*16kg

One arm cable pulldown: 30*12

Wrist curl: 10*47,5kg

That crucifix is a killer exercise! I do the OC`s as singles, with plenty of rest between "sets"; minute or two. All that matters is that I manage to do the rep.

That's what i do too. No half assed reps when i do overcrushing. Full bore on every rep is the way to go.

I am going to buy a Rolling Thunder next week. Maybe i'll order a #4 too and a training tape. Do you have a RT?

It`s in the post ;) ! Should be here today or Monday!

Also, I just bought a piece of solid round steel that I`m going to machine down to fit olympic plates to the ends. The center is 60mm diameter, the exact diameter of the Inch-handle; a 20$ Inch bar right there.

Edited by Roper

Let me know how it works out on the RT!

Yesterday i did some crushing on my #1 and 2 throughout the day. Did maybe 3 or 4 sessions... It came down to about 25 closes on #1 and 12 closes on (rh) the #2. AAaaand, i closed it lefty... That's a pr :mosher

Weight training sat-r-day:

Squats 8*140kg

Front squats 7*85

Leg press 3*12*260kg (this is a pre-loaded machine and doesn't go heavier :devil Damn that gym owner!

Standing ham curl 2*10*15kg

Ahh, another day, another gripperworkout :happy

I started out on store gripper. I really need to warm up proper. Then i closed #1 maybe ten times. After that i closed the #2 on and of with the #1. Total of maybe 15-20 #1 closes. AAAAaaand, 10 real hard closes on the #2. Just one with my left hand though :whacked

Good news is, i did 4 table no-set closes with #2.... Man, that's fun to do!

I think i can man handle those grippers now. Does anybody think it's wise to file my grippers now?

Weight training

Bench 6*125 kg went nice

Incline 7*100 went even better, pr

Dips 6*34kg plus bodyweight

Mach fly seat. 8*70

BBcurl 8*50kg and 4*55kg

Alt curl 6*22kg

cross hammer curl 6*16

Reverse bb curl 6*40

Good training

That`s great going! I`ve been on a short vacation, starting again today. That over-all heavy training really must be helping you with the gripper gains!

Did some gripping... no strenght?! Only one lousy rep with #2... oh man, over-trained? I don`t know. This won`t set me back,though.

Hey hey, no worries, be happy. At least you closed it.. No strength lost.. Received your RT yet??

today's menu:

Deadlifts 5*210kg (aiming for 5 *220) Strongman contest strength needed for the stairs...5*180, 200, 220... Uhmmm, yeah right

Rows 6*105 (also did it one hand deadlift)

One arm row 8*40

Front pulldown 6*80

Supersetted with Straight arm pulldown 10*20

Mach. shrug 15*100

Bb shrug 8*140

Grippers.... Well, not lived up to my own expectations on my left hand.... Didn't close #2, so i didn't try it, barely closed the #1..

For my right hand things looked a little brighter. After reading jesse marunde's interview about how he closed the 3, i started doing 5 sets with the #2 for the consecutive reps..(5*2reps) Will build up to 5*5.. Then maybe some filing.... Did contrast baths too

I guess deads really affected my grip work :cry