The #3 Challenge Log

Roper

Yep, I got the RT. Haven`t got to lift with it yet. It`s a lot bigger than I thought, really quite massive. But I was also a bit disappointed as I noticed that the handle is PVC-plastic. It`s not as "revolving" as I had thought it to be. PDA`s handle would be great,it has ball-bearings I think. But once again,can`t afford their shipping charges :(

Edited by Roper

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DuTCH

• Roper

• BigT

• FrankyBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

today i did some grip work. Seems like the longer i grip, that is, sunday throught thursday, the gripping gets worse and worse... I can still close #2, but fingers start to hurt and things don't get easy like in beginning.

Last couple of days i did 10-20 closes combined with 10 closes with #2, except for left hand. Can't close 2. Maybe a good moment to take some rest....

Clean/press 3*85kg

Dmb press 8*28

Front raise 6*20

Laterals...3 sets till failure..

Did triceps, nothing fancy... Gym was about to close. That stupid gym, open till 22.00. Saturday it's even worse, only open in the morning from 9.20 till 12.00. :devil

Tomorrow legs, happy me :dry

Just some regular gripper-work for couple of days. The close is really getting to be the problem here;and it`s really hard to train as the negatives won`t hit that part,because I can`t close the #3 all the way. I`ll try doing close-negs with the #2 after I can`t close it all the way instead,maybe it`ll build some strenght in that specific area.

Try some strapholds and overcrushes..they really work that last fraction of an inch.

Yep,thanks.I`ve been trying those strapholds,the problem is I don`t have plates small enough to microload.

You need to get some 2.5lbs and 5lb plates or the metric equivalent...

Yep,thanks.I`ve been trying those strapholds,the problem is I don`t have plates small enough to microload.

Use washers. Mooinabc1 looks to be making great progress with the washer technique.

I'm thinking of picking up a bag.

Good luck!

T

1-finger deadlift up to 40kg with middle fingers

Rolling Thunder up to 52,5kg

Ring handle DL up to 97,5kgx2

Hub pinch lifter 14kg

Dutch, that RT is a real humilifier! It feels like lifting a wet eel! It is better without chalk,as said here in the faq.

NIce going roper, keep doing those strapholds, that's what i am doing too. How close are you on #3 now?

That RT sounds really exciting. Today is my birthday. Had a party yesterday. I put my grippers on the table for everyone to grab it. Out of 10, maybe 3 closed #1. Nobody could close 2.

Got some money for my b-day, so that RT is on the way. Roper, did you buy a carabinier too, i don't know wich one i should get, at home i have really small plates with small holes. Better to take a large carabinier?

Not much gripping, maybe tonight some strapholds.

Training, i'll keep it short...

Friday did 15rep squats with 140kg. Damn that was hard. Don't like to do 20reps, kicks the life out of me...

Today, really dumb training, with a new guy. Keeps making silly noises while he trains, lack of focus. Then the dumb squad came in and took me out of my concentration. They started to fart, and our gym is really small so......

What's worth mentioning is:

Bench, 6*127,5

INcline 4*105

BB curl 6*55kg

ALt curl 8*24

Reverse bb curl 6*45kg

Edited by DuTCH

Happy bithday!!!!

Oh god, change the gym! It really bugged me having "ordinary" or just plain stupid people in the gym when I still trained in a commercial one. Now I have my own little room in the back of the building where I work, filled with just some old weights and bars and grip-stuff. The only farts I have to smell are my owns, and those always smelled pretty good,so... :laugh

Anyways, do you have a loading-pin or do you load those plates on to a chain or something? The small clip will fit the RT, but a large one will fit anything you might buy in the future,too. And I got my carabiner from a climbing shop,no need to order them overseas. If you don`t have a loading-pin;here`s how I made mine; just took a steel tube of the right diameter and a friend welded a stopper plate to the bottom and a small steel loop to the top. C-H-E-A-P! The RT really made my forearms sore like they haven`t been in a while.

About the grippers; I feel that the #3 is still pretty far away. About parallel or just a little over is where it stops. I feel that the same happened as with my benching some time ago. I am able to progress very rapidly for a short burst by upping the intensity and frequency, but when I don`t stop in time,as in after just a couple of weeks, I start to lose those gains, and usually I just bang my head for long enough to find that I`m almost back where I started. So I don`t think that the KTA is for me. I`ll propably make best progress by alternating regular intensity with ingrequent and short bursts of KTA-style.

OK,take care.

Howdy,

I don't have a loading pin yet, it was what i meant in the previous post too... I meant a loading pin, not carabinier. I have one, just a small, and in climbing shops they are plenty available. I was thinking about doing that too, making a loading pin. Nice tip, and el mucho cheapo. At home i don't have enough weight to challenge me, so the RT is going to the gym. And about my gym, there aren't any other gyms in town, but coming summer there will be a new one, so this smelly one has to do for now...

Stale on benching,, well, what i like to do it something i read in beyond brawn, from McRobert. i take a weight i can handle for a easy 6 reps, and every week i load it a little bit more. 2,5kg every week. First time it is easy, but that's saves energy for other workouts to come, so don't think you should add more and more weight. Just be patient with it, and start microloading if you can't handle it. That's how i got my bench up quite a bit, from being stale at 8*100, to 6*130kg...

Hmm, no KTA, it is tough on your hands indeed. I am experiencing some pain myself too, sore fingers and knuckles....ouch.

Tonight is strapholds again..

It is not as much the obvious harshness of the KTA; calluses,torn skin,sore joints that doesn`t suit me (I love the previous ones :fear ), but I just can`t make any progress after that certain point. And it`s not that I don`t try hard enough; my wife and kids stay in the other room while I grip,because I look so scary sweating and mumbling to myself in the middle of a chalk-cloud :devil !

That's the rough mentality you have to keep, be an animal... Well, that's what joe ladnier (sponsored by universal) wrote on his signed autograph :rock

THis week trainingwise nothing special, so no notes.

Grippers

7closes with #1

3 closes with left and right #2

3attempt at #3

strapholds with #1

15 seconds with 1,5kg

15seconds with 2kg

10seconds with 2,75kg...

Guess i need to up the intensity!

Finished with some nice contrast baths, cause i had sore hands..

I'm out, see ya

Tonight was straphold time again. Third day in a row, i don't know if it's too much? but i still feel strong...

I got the straphold thing from faq section, how to straphold. The routine is like 7 #1's

2-3 #2's

and 1-2 #3's. Well, while i was getting to my first attempt on the #3, while i had it in my hand, no setting it, i got it up to 1,2cm! That's about 1/2 inch.... I feel that 3 is within my reach now. Can't wait to actually bring the handles together....

Oh man, I got the opposite situation! I`m overtrained; yesterday I couldn`t do a single close on the #2. That`s not good. I`ll take a whole week of rest now.

Look`s like I`ll soon be writing this log by myself; good job. ;)

Come on Roper, don't let your head down. Some contrast baths, few days off (not whole week :happy) and go at it again...

Not really a grip workout today, few squeezes. (couldn't repeat that !/2 inch again)

My training, i don't know. I feel a little bit tired, even though i make gains on every exercise. Feels like i have to drag myself to the weights and really make an effort...

Deads 3*215kg

ONe arm row 10*40 (easy goin', that's the heaviest dumbell :blink)

T-bar row 6*100k

Pulldown 12*25

Shrug 5*180kg

Well,maybe not a WEEK,two days at least :D

New avatar,I noticed. Is that Moleman? You`re in to old Marvel? I like the old X-men,the Avengers,The Fantastic Four... :mosher

:rock That's the spirit!

I don't know about the difference in old marvel or x-men. I do know that superheroes are cool.It's not Moleman, the new avatar is THE JUGGERNAUT... If you look closely, you can say him crush the new IM#15's :yikes

Edited by DuTCH

Never been a fan of Reed Richards :dryhttp://www.marveldirectory.com/indivualsac.htm for some of those old time heroes....

I just purchased my Rolling Thunder and john brookfields mastery of hand and strength... The shipping and handling is the same as the two items combined... Damn the atlantic ocean....

I was doubting between a hub or the book. Guess i better buy a book, i already made some pinching blocks, and i even got a really heavy one.. I'll post some pics later..

Friday, worth mentioning was my squat session with 8 times 150kg... I only did 8 so i can get used to the weight and get nsync with it. Next week i'll go for a whopping 15 reps ;)

Yep,same here,there´s something sneaky about Reed. Wouldn`t buy a used car from him.

Anyways. Just had to do grip yesterday even as my hands were really busted on saturday. I finally managed 2 reps with the #2,so rest is what I need. Also did a 42kg DL with my right middle-finger, 55kg with the RT, and a round 100kg`s with a ring-handle.

I think you did a good choice with buying the book. I have the hub-lifter, and while it`s a nice gadget to have,it`s of pretty limited usage; it`s more of a skill lift than a raw-strenght builder. Go with the pinch-blocks on that one.

Edited by Roper

See you did some catching up with the #2.. Still not where you have been with the #2, so COME ON!

Had a really good workout on the grippers this weekend. Managed to get it 1cm on the #2. That's even less than 1/2 inch, hehe...

Couldn't repeat it today, did 20seconds with 6kg on #1 for SH... 4,5 for 15 with left...

Bench 6*130 kg.. Never did THAT before

Incline 6*90 Too tired from fl. bench

Dips 3*12

BB curl 6*55 (next week 57,5)

ETcetc...

Can't wait for the goodies to arrive. I have to bring the rt to the gym, because i don't have enough weights :angry:

Yes sir, half cm!