Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

good job, whats a baby rep though?

On the 2nd attempt I was trying to open it a tad and then bang it back down. I wasn't quite getting it but if I had it'd have been a baby rep (very short range).

are you using the baby rep and the mms to build the strength needed for that type of close. theres not much motion there how can that make you stronger?

Very strong control over that gripper! How does it feel in comparison to the #4's you've closed?

"Dude that's my car!" :D

Incredible, Steve :blink Guess you're ready for MM6 :D

are you using the baby rep and the mms to build the strength needed for that type of close. theres not much motion there how can that make you stronger?

MMS training increases crush strength faster than wide-set training. Carry over from MMS to TNS is better than vice-versa, too.

As a matter of fact, read Teemu's blog entry about it:

http://gripperstrength.wordpress.com/2008/...-set-vs-no-set/

Edited by Magnus

are you using the baby rep and the mms to build the strength needed for that type of close. There's not much motion there how can that make you stronger?

The baby rep thing was just something I felt I could do on that rep and I never do it usually.

I just realized I missed a trick... instead of goofing around I should have done 'a Chad' and do the whole 'that's 3x.. how many more?!' ha ha :D

Very strong control over that gripper! How does it feel in comparison to the #4's you've closed?

"Dude that's my car!" :D

Just under... like a 3.9

Thursday am

Leg press

0-kilos x 10 reps @, 40-kilos x 10 reps, 80-kilos x 20 reps, 120-kilos x 30 reps, 260-kilos x 50 reps... ouch ouch... pumped!

Leg Curl

25-kilos x 8 reps, 35-kilos x 8 reps, 45-kilos x 8 reps, 60-kilos x 2 x 7 reps (hard)

Bwt: on GN scales 283lbs sans belt etc

mobster

do you agree with teemu that mms will actually increase your no set close . for eg since your saying you can mms the coc#4, does that mean you can no set a CoC3.5, what would be the ratio how high in a mms do youhave to go to get a full no set close in a lessr gripper? can you shed any light on this?

I suspect it's one of those individual variational things. It might be that for Teemu such a theory holds water. It might also be true over lesser grippers so rather than a MMS close of a 4 allowing a TNS 3.5 perhaps more like a MMS4 = a TNS 3.

For me, like Chad's most recent comment, even with my wider than some set I always prefer to do the set required enough times to feel confident of getting a gripper on that level of set. I can ALWAYS CCS a 3 right handed but it would take a few sessions, perhaps 4-6, before I'd feel confident of CCS with my left hand using my 3.

mobsterone

thanks for the info, im just so close with my CoC#3 no set, less than a 1/4" but the prob is that its been that way since i got it........way over a year ago. but i always do no set when i work out. i was wondering should i buy a 3.5 or 4 and try mms to up my close strength. or is there a better way. i like thick bar work and a bucket of sand, i also like pinch and sledgehammer work. im not on any schedule, i just lift when my wife aint bitchin about it. maby im to old to get stronger im 37 now and my dr. told me im to old for weights i should be using all cables by now....i told him fat chance.

rico

Because of the distance involved in the almost closed 3 it might be an idea to go where you suggest. Try also working on a more explosive sweep.

Thursday pm

2HP

Set up, as per is 21.7-kilos and set at 44mm. Usual warm ups then from +80-kilos x 1 rep, +82.5-kilos x 1 rep, plus 84-kilo x 1 rep, plus 85-kilos x 1 rep, plus 86-kilos x 1 rep, plus 87-kilos (108.7-kilos/239.64lbs total) x 1 rep. I still felt ok so tried for what would have been a new PB and gym record with plus 91-kilos or 112.7-kilos but this was firmly welded to the floor.

Onwards. As I was working what is effectively a wide grip I thought I'd fry it with some blob work so...

Blob

easy work on the 20-kilo blob with either hand (3 x 1 reps). Then R/H: 25-kilo blob x 2 x 1 reps. Then tried, with the other hand adding a finger and a thumb, the 30-kilo blob. It took a couple of goes and I was power dropping so really not doing negatives. I dropped back to the 20-kilo and pulled it with the pink resistance band over the top to box height.

Then, just for fun, I managed a few singles lifting the 20-kilo blob in the left and 25-kilo in the right but not to full height.

disgusting how u closed the dud 3 times.. extreme grip power

Strong work with the grippers Steve. Next time i come up (now that i have been paid again hopefully in the next couple of weeks) i'd like a shot at the MM7 dud. Quality pinch work aswell - but keep working it i'm catching up quickly ha ha.. ;)

Edited by CoC#3

PS: a very helpful Brit GB members 2" FBBC vbar has just arrived along with an incredibly expensive MM replica gripper I might have a crack at as well. If I don't do well it wont be down to the lack of support. You :rock Mr mystery man. ;)

Mysterious benefactor? Is this Great Expectations? Are you ... "Pip"???

Does that make Paul "Estella" and Big Loz "Miss Haversham"?

Nah Paul's the escaped prisoner on the marshes ha ha

Saturday

2" FBBC V-Bar

Need to ask Twig and check with records etc regarding either seasoning or removal of paint (already happening through use). I degreased my hands and did some work on it and then switched to more weight using the other set up.

B/H: Bar (10.7-kilos) + 40-kilos x 3 reps@, plus 60-kilos x 2 reps@, plus 80-kilos x 1 rep@, plus 95-kilos x 0 reps@

Changed to other set up: plus 95-kilos x 1 rep@, 110-kilos x 1/2 rep L/H: and 1 rep RH

L/H: 110-kilos x 0 reps

R/H: 115-kilos x 1 rep, 120-kilos x 1 rep, 125-kilos x 0 reps

RT (old handle)

B/H: started at 100-kilos x 1 rep@, 110-kilos x 1 rep@, 115-kilos x 1 rep@, 120-kilos x 1 rep@

L/H: 125-kilos x 2 x 1 reps, missed the 3rd attempt

R/H: 140-kilos x 0 reps, 135-kilos x 0 reps, 130-kilos thumbless grip x 1 rep, 135-kilos x 1 rep thumbless grip (thus the thumb must have been worn out plus I can use more wrist action).

W/Roller (set in rack)

90-kilo disc x 3 x 1 reps (rolling up only)

MDB

Having had the Millennium dumbbell arrive back yesterday and in spite of more or less exhausting my thick bar capabilities I was still able to pick it up 2x right handed. I might even have a pop at Laine's repping record in the no too distant future.

yes but as ad hoc 'see what I can't goals rather than specific training for targets. The pinch esp I need to just warm up and go for but am in a kind of 'as and when' frame of mind. I'd rather get my single max over 110-kilos in competition then put any real effort into beating Rob Frampton on titlebash. I also still wanna see what TB has got from the Portsmouth boys with the RT. I KNOW I can beat that in training.

After some food but without my usual coffee power I did some pinch with Loz. We went to but failed with 111.7-kilos. So we dropped it down to 90 (scaled at 90.7) and both went for Rob Frampton's 10 reps in 60-seconds titlebash record. I managed 12 reps in 58 seconds and Loz equalled it.

After some food but without my usual coffee power I did some pinch with Loz. We went to but failed with 111.7-kilos. So we dropped it down to 90 (scaled at 90.7) and both went for Rob Frampton's 10 reps in 60-seconds titlebash record. I managed 12 reps in 58 seconds and Loz equalled it.

Loz got 13, carl checked for me :-)

I'm sure two might have been short. Carl needs to send me the vid. I claim 13 on mine (H asks 'how many?' and I reply '13' but counted 12).

I'm sure two might have been short. Carl needs to send me the vid. I claim 13 on mine (H asks 'how many?' and I reply '13' but counted 12).

Yeah Carl recorderd it and watched it again for me, i did 13 and missed 2, but im not that bothered, im sure we can both get 14/15 now that we have a better feel for how to pace it. Im more interested in the 120 though

See you on tuesday mate.

Indeed. I'd have liked more poundage over the reps.

Sunday

Chest/back

Pec dec

16-kilos x 8 reps, 35-kilos x 8 reps, stack plus 5-kilos x 2 x 6 reps

Pullover

12p x 8 reps, 18p x 8 reps, stack+25-kilos x 7 reps (hard work)

Ass. Dips / dips

-60lbs x 8 reps / 2 x 7 reps x bwt

Low row

70-kilos x 8 reps, 90-kilos x 8 reps, 112.5-kilos x 2 x 7 reps (hard work)

Bwt (on GN scales)

284lbs

2" FBBC V-Bar

Need to ask Twig and check with records etc regarding either seasoning or removal of paint (already happening through use).

Go for your life; I bought the 2" vBar without factoring in that I'd sold all my oly plates the last time my knee blew out. It didn't occur to me until it arrived that regular plates won't fit :blush so I've only got 50Kgs that will fit on it!