Lets Get Ready To Rumble

FrankyBoy

Franky, sorry to hear about your extensors...they'll heal quickly! And then you can jump right back into the bending. Sounds like your bending is coming along quite quickly.

12-26-04

Another quick gripper workout. Felt really good on Christmas with my #2 flog attempt...

TNS-Flog-Trainer-1

TNS-Flog-#1-1

TNS-Flog-#2-AttemptX4-best was @ 1/4"-nothing special today

------------------------------

Set Attempts

#2-Flog-AttemptX1-@ 1/4"-crap

Wide #2-Hose Clamp Set At 1"-AttemptX1-@ 1/4"-crap

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• FrankyBoy

• Darco

• pdoire

Top Posters In This Topic

12-28-04

Still on vacation in Colorado. Enjoying the snowshoe hiking and mountain air.

TNS-Trainer-20 singles

TNS-#1-20 singles

TNS-Wide #1-10 singles

TNS-Double Filed #1-2 singles

TNS-#2-2 singles

TNS-Filed #2-2 singles

TNS-2.25" HG250-2 singles

TNS-2.5" HG250-2 singles

TNS-2.75" HG250-2 singles

TNS-PDA262-2 singles

----------------------------

TNS-Inverted-PDA262-2 consecutive reps

----------------------------

TNS-Flog-Wide #2-Hose Clamp Set At 1"-AttemptX1-@ 1/8"

TNS-Flog-#2-AttemptX1-@ 1/4"

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1-2 singles

TNS-Flog-Wide #1-2 singles

TNS-Flog-#1-2 singles

TNS-Flog-Trainer-2 singles

---------------------------

Set Close

#3-Hose Clamp Set At 1.25"-AttemptX1

Cert GM-Hose Clamp Set At 1.25"-AttemptX1

-----------------------------

Then I finished it all off with a Kettlestack workout. I had been sick for 4 or 5 days and had laid off of it for a bit. I took it with me on vacation which tends to make things hard relationship-wise when space that could have held another present is instead taken up with a 75 pound ball of pain. :D But it was worth it!

12-30-2004

Strange workout today.

Did some No-Sets with the #1 and the #2.

Ground the #2 that easy that I tried my RB210.

Wide spread, very hard to no-set. Closed it only once before.

I closed it again today so of course I was encouraged to step up to the GM

and try this one too.

No way.

A disappointing bad attempt (~1/4) so I didn't continue my training session.

I guess I should work more with easier grippers like the RB210 or the cert. SM.

For my left I did some attempts with the #2 (with a set) and closed two of then.

I got the RB210 down to 1/4. At least this was a PR.

Did an extra session this evening.

Worked with the cert GM in a hose-clamp.

Thats better:

GM 1" : easy close

GM 1 1/2" : tough close

MM1 in choker: clear miss

GM 1 3/4" ~1/8

cert SM 1x

GM 1 3/4" >1/8

GM 1 3/8" close

SM : close or paper thin miss

Lefty

1x#1 No Set

RB210 set to parallel in hose clamp:

5x1xRB210 (5 misses, best ~1/8)

Franky, great work with the GM in the hose clamp! Even set at 1" it's still a beast for me. I put mine in a hose clamp again and failed to close it even set at 1". It took me a couple of weeks previously to work up to closing it in the hose clamp. And unfortunately it didn't even transfer to the no set close. Crap. I think yours will transfer though. Sounds like you have very good closing strength. And of course pretty good no set strength. :D

12-29-04

Received a VERY narrow HG300 (thanks Ryan) in the mail today. It's 2 INCHES between the handles! I've never seen any gripper that's narrower than this one. It only gets hard at the very last 1/2" or so. Then I'd rate it as a bit over 2.5. Maybe 2.7 like on Scott's table. This thing is ultra sweet. Definitely a rare find. I let some friends try it and almost all of them told me they were absolutely sure they could close it because it was only 2" between the handles to begin with. None closed it. It's a no setters dream.

TNS-2" HG300-24 reps total-best was 10 consecutive reps

TNS-Inverted-2" HG300-4 consecutive reps

Wanted to save myself for some gripping tomorrow. So I called it quits. I have to force myself to put the HG300 down. I want to keep squeezing it and squeezing it... :help

12-30-04

Had a pretty good bench press session today...I'm back at it again. I had sworn off benching for a couple of months or so. I'm hooked and can't stay away. It always seems to warm my hands up nicely though.

Thought I'd switch it up just a bit today and do my goal gripper attempts before my flog workout. Duh, right?

TNS-#3-AttemptX1-@ parallel or slightly closer

TNS-Cert GM-Close on 3/8" rod-1

TNS-Cert GM-AttemptX1-very close to touching the rod-but not quite

TNS-Flog-#2-AttemptX2-best was @ 1/4"

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1-50 reps total-*PR* on total reps

TNS-Flog-#1-1

------------------

Also tried out my Handgripper Helpers...

------------------

TNS-Flog-#1+Handgripper Helper-AttemptsX2-best was @ 1/8"

I'm going to a New Year's party tomorrow. I've been asked to bring my armwrestling table and some "toys." So I'm bringing: my armwrestling table, @ 20 grippers, bag of nails and pads, Rolling Thunder, PVC (2.375") thick dumbbell, 75 pound Kettlestack, Apollon's Axle, (5)10s for plate pinching, and whatever the hell else I see that might be a good challenge. Might call it the Average-To-Weak Man's Grip Gauntlet. :rolleyes Should be interesting to see what some of the guys can do. About half a dozen martial artists should be there. 3 or so Judo guys. 1 Jujitsu practitioner. 2 full contact kickboxing students (one female). Even a couple of middle-aged women have expressed interest in the grippers. Who knew?

12-30-04

Forgot to list what I did in between benching and running quarters on the treadmill. I'm trying to drop some weight. Maybe 30 or so pounds. And if that happens I might shoot for a Rolling Thunder deadlift of bodyweight. Just for the hell of it.

-------------------

Rolling Thunder-141X4-*PR*

-141X5-***PR*** :rock

-141X2

-------------------

Plate Pinching-(4)10s-2 Fingers-4-Full Deadlift-***PR***

-1-Full Deadlift

Good stuff. My RT is feeling pretty decent lately.

01-01-05

Left hand only to go easy with my right. My right elbow still hurts and I've a meeting next tuesday.

1x10xStore Bought Gripper

1x#1 No-set

1xfiled #2 with set

RB210 in hose clamp (17mm=parallel handles)

3 attempts, one close (PR)

RB210 close in hose clamp

I opened the hose clamp a bit (20mm)

2 attempts (1/8)

1x#2 No Set Attempt: Crap

Then I put my Cert SM in the hose clamp at parallel

2 attempts, very little movement only

#3 in PDA choker ( :laugh )

1 attempt

RB 130 (3")

2x5

1- rep was No-Set the following 4 were parallel reps.

#2 No-Set Attempt Crap.

Nice RB210 choker lefty close! :rock

12-31-04

I brought some stuff to the party that I had mentioned earlier. Didn't bring my AA or the plates or the Kettlestack. Ran out of room in my little truck (Ford Ranger) and my girlfriend's patience wore thin at about the same pace as the space ran out. :D It was a little bit much to ask her to ride over with a big loaded dumbbell (3" diameter handle) between her feet. But she did it. And she's a keeper.

The armwrestling table was a big hit with everybody at the party. People I would have never guessed tried it out. Again and again. I pulled a few people but nothing spectacular.

The grippers were surprisingly an even bigger hit than the armwrestling table! I was absolutely shocked at the sheer number of people who tried the grippers every time they walked by the table where they were sitting. I had tied a thick shoestring through two sets of 6 grippers. They ranged from my Trainer to a cut down #2 in difficulty. I also brought my full set of Heavy Grips. 3 different width HG250s and my new 2" HG300. Nobody closed anything higher than an average #1. I thought there might be a few who would at least close a filed #1 or maybe even my average #2. But no dice. One very thin man who couldn't even get the Trainer to parallel (he was close) informed me that in a month or less he would be able to close the #2...if, "I had the grippers at my house all the time like you do." Awesome. I announced that he would be going home with one of my #2s to train with. For a month. :dry Then he turned pale and walked away.

My girlfriend bet me that two of the women at the party would be able to close my Trainer. One is a massage therapist and the other woman is just strong. $5 a piece was the going price and I let them try all night. Neither was able to, although they both came pretty close at times. I was actually hoping they would close it and prove me wrong. It's great to see someone's eyes light up when they can close a gripper that others can't. A lot of guys couldn't close the Trainer. Believe it or not. The wrestlers and fighters all closed the Trainer with ease.

The toy that I had the most fun with was a Turk that I recently got from a Board member (thanks John). 3" diameter dumbbell handle. 25 pounds empty weight. Damn! I loaded 50 pounds on it for a total weight of 75 pounds. I thought that would be a decent weight to challenge people, yet not too much that some wouldn't be able to maybe clean and press it. I should have made it 10 pounds lighter. I just unloaded the dumbbell onto the lawn of the house where the party was and let people have at it. It was a huge hit with the wrestlers and fighters though. They must have tried or succeeded in picking it up 50 times or more. No one cleaned it with one hand. Several used the other hand to clean it and then press it. Only one guy actually deadlifted it to knee height without using a scoop grip.

I did manage to clean and press it (for singles) many times throughout the night with either hand. It's very challenging. One woman at the party did manage to give it about an inch of air time without scoop gripping it. Which is impressive to say the least. She weighed about 180 pounds. Long hands. I don't know what she does for a living though. I didn't ask because she was very unfriendly. I also didn't ask her husband because he was irritated at not being able to lift it. He did enlighten me that, "It's kind of Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing hard to lift when the handle is so big!" I nodded sagely and thanked him for the advice.

A great party, not because of the grip toys, but because everyone managed to behave and not start fights with each other. No need for that bullshit, but it always seems to find its way to a New Year's Eve party.

12-31-04

I did a bunch of miscellaneous gripper closes at the party. Not sure of what and how many.

3" Turk Dumbbell-75 pounds-Deadlift-10 total reps

-Clean-5 total reps

-Clean and Press-3 total reps

-Clean and Jerk-2 total reps

It's a wonderful dumbbell and anyone thinking of getting one ought to.

1-1-05

Started the New Year off with a bang! Did a bunch of bench pressing. Then some curling. Then some Turk work.

3" Turk Dumbbell-Deadlift-75 pounds-1

-85 pounds-1

-95 pounds-1

-105 pounds-knee height-then dropped

Great report, Ben. :bow

I again did some gripper work yesterday with my left but nothing really worth to be mentioned.

Couldn't close the RB210 in the hose clamp at parallel in 3 attempts.

But I could close the #2 using a 'conventional' set.

In the last months I used a 'holding-spring set' for my left since I smashed my right thumb nail under a 15kg plate in august.

Did some No-set Attempts with the #2 but thats still a long way to go.

1-2-05

HUGE reps with the flog were the name of the game today! Only the Trainer, but still. :D Good amount of work to get the blood flowing...

TNS-Flog-Trainer-355 total reps-***PR!***

TNS-Flog-#1-1

TNS-Flog-Wide #1-1

TNS-Double Filed #1-1

TNS-Flog-#2-AttemptX1-@ 1/4"

TNS-Flog-Wide #2-AttemptX1-@ parallel

TNS-Flog-2.25" HG250-10 total reps-best was 5 consecutive reps-*PR*

-----------------------

TNS-Cert GM-AttemptX1-@ parallel

TNS-2" HG300-1

TNS-PDA262-1

TNS-Filed #2-1

TNS-Wide #2-1

TNS-#2-1

---------------

I would have done more, many more, reps if my hands hadn't gotten slightly tender after the 355 flog reps. Oh well...another day! Great workout!

1-3-05

Apollon's Axle-Reverse Curl-33X10, 53X6, 53X4, 33X10, 33X10-only some work to soothe my aching elbows-didn't work, they still hurt

---------------------

Elbows were hurting-maybe from benching or armwrestling-so I went to the Turk

---------------

Turk-Deadlift-85X1, 85X3, 85X1, 85X2, 85X1, 85X1, 85X1-10 total reps

------------

I am enjoying the Turk deadlifts.

Later on 1-3-05, while at work:

TNS-2" HG300-50 total reps-***PR***

-----------

I only ended the workout because the date changed. And then I actually had to do some work on midnight shift. For once. :D

1-4-05

Another workout to work out the kinks. More to get the blood flowing than to actually accomplish a goal.

---------------

TNS-Inverted-Wide #1-5 singles

TNS-Inverted-Double Filed #1-5 singles

TNS-Inverted-#2-5 singles

TNS-Inverted-Wide #2-1

TNS-Inverted-PDA262-2 singles

TNS-Inverted-2" HG300-1

-----------

Nothing to write home about. But fun anyway.

Excellent workout Ben. :mosher

I stressed my tendons in the forearms and my right elbow so I better take an off-time.

I'll force myself to at least 2 two weeks rest.

Time for you to catch up. :cry

DLK, the reps with the Trainer were completed in about 3 hours. The reps with the HG300 were done in less than 1 hour. Nothing really special, but I really think with some cooperation from my skin (staying on the bone) I could hit 1,000 flog reps in a day. No purpose really, just a wonderful test of skin and will. With the skin usually winning.

Franky, again sorry to hear about your stressed tendon. I really hope you heal quickly. I don't think I'll be catching up to you in absolute strength any time soon. But it won't hurt to try. :D

Ben Nice job on 50 reps on the HG300..even though a 2" spread 50 reps is nothing to sneeze at!!

Thanks Paul! That means quite a bit coming from the man (you) who went from closing @ #1 to a #3 in a few months time. You're a bit of a freak. :D But that's a good thing.