Lets Get Ready To Rumble

FrankyBoy

11-27-04

Gripper workout that I did before the previous post? How does that work...

TNS-Double Filed HG200-100 total reps-same filing as last time

TNS-Narrow HG250 (thanks Ryan)-25 total reps-(15 consecutive reps)

Very nice narrow HG250! It's 2.25" wide. Definitely the most narrow gripper I've ever closed. It's pretty easy, maybe a 2.1 or so. Maybe below 2. Hard to tell or gauge sometimes.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• FrankyBoy

• Darco

• pdoire

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work, 2.25" sounds like an awsome little bugger.

Thanks Darco! It's one of my new favorite grippers. I don't think I'd get rid of it even for an easy #3. It's that freaking cool. :D Course I'm open to suggestions...

Well, I'm afraid that I reached a 'natural' boundary with my no-set strength if

compared to my absolute crushing strength. So it seems I can't increase my no-set without increasing my absolute crush too.

Yesterday in the gym I train in, I had my grippers with me and played a bit with

my brand new RB330 narrow. Black Steel handles with black spring, nice. :happy

I like this gripper alot since its very nasty an the end but quite easy to set (at least for me :D none of the other guys there who can close a #2 could set it).

Best attempt was about 1/8 which is the same gap I've on the GM no-set.

On december 11th, I'll meet with my grip buddies at Burki and I will do a serious attempt on the GM if I'll have an on-day which is usually the case when I meet some grip-friends.

I doubt I can close it even on a very good day, but I'd like to see a new PB there.

Camcorder will witness.

Just in the case ... :whistel

Well, I'm afraid that I reached a 'natural' boundary with my no-set strength if

compared to my absolute crushing strength. So it seems I can't increase my no-set without increasing my absolute crush too.

That's a good idea - I already train like this...

11-29-04

TNS-Double Filed HG200-35 total reps-filed more than last time

TNS-Narrow HG250-8 sets of 5

I love the narrow HG250. Best feel of any gripper I've ever had.

11-29-04

TNS-Double Filed HG200-35 total reps-filed more than last time

TNS-Narrow HG250-8 sets of 5

I love the narrow HG250.  Best feel of any gripper I've ever had.

Hi Ben,

I think the HG's are awesome. The width make them so easy to work

with especially No-Set. When I pick them up I am so much more confident

of closing them than with some of the other grippers. They do "feel" great.

I have a new narrow HG300 that's on its way to my house right now. I'm thinking I'll be able to no set it. I might be wrong though. The difference between the narrow HG300 and the wide (older) HG300 is incredible. It has been a while since I've closed a narrow HG300, but I've never closed my wide HG300. I'm always 1/4" or slightly less.

12-2-04

Had a bunch of time to mess around with my new Narrow HG250.

TNS-#1-1

TNS-Narrow HG250-75 sets of 5 reps-(375 total reps) ***PR***

TNS-PDA262-1

TNS-Cert SM-1

TNS-Cert GM-AttemptX1

Nice workout but it was cut WAY short. I only used about 6 hours of my shift and was planning on hitting 700+ with the Narrow HG250...but an inmate decided to get stupid and tried to tackle me...unfortunately for him, things didn't work out as he had hoped. :shifty I did get in a second grip workout though. :D Thanks buddy!

As usual, awesome workout Ben. :bow

Hmm, you should be happy to have those inmates. :D

In my company none of the 'inmates' tackle me any more.

But every time there are heavy objects to lift or

clamped screws to open they say: "Go, get the programmer!" :yikes

ben.......holy shit...i cant believe your volume.....i just read this whole log for the first time, and oh my.......1500 reps with the trainer.......jesus, i think that is the most impressive, that or the 100 reps with the cert SM.....jesus ben you are a volume monster............and a very humble, generous gripster to boot....i would hate to be the inmate that f*$%! with you........btw, that story about the drunks at the party was great! cheers ben

tim

:mosherON-DAY :mosher

Boy, how do I like tose days. :happy

Warmup:

#1 No-Set left&right

#2 No-Set R

#2 Set L

Workout:

right

GM No-Set Right <1/8 PR

Ben, I uploaded an image of this attempt in my gallery:

GM No-Set Attempt

2xMM1 Attempts right

RB330N Set Attempt ~1/8 PR

RB210 No-Set Close PR

left

#2 No-Set Left 1/4 PR

RB210 Set Attempt ~1/4 PR

#2 No-Set Left

#2 Set Attempt <1/16

#2 Set Attempt <1/16

Videos

RB210 No-Set Close

RB330N Attempt

GM No Set Attempt

Very nice GM-attempt! :rock What do you think will fall first: the MM1 or the GM noset?

Inofficially the MM1.

But I guess I'll cert sooner on the Grandmaster.

Logistics. :D

Very Impressive on the RB330 !

Awesome Franky! :rock You'll have that GM closed in a month or two. Or less. Glad to see you're having a lot of ON DAYS!

Ben Edwards

12-6-04

I was a busy beaver on the 6th. Did a bunch of gripper work and then some plate pinching, pushups, situps, pullups, Kettlestack, calf raises, box pistols, and arm wrestling. Crap I was fried after all that. I actually worked a 12 hour day before I started all of the above. So I had to do everything but the gripper work in 3 or so hours. Might have been a bit too much.

TNS-#1-11 total reps

TNS-#1-Inverted-1 rep

TNS-#1-Inverted-Pinky, Ring, Middle Fingers Only-1 rep-props to Darco :bow

TNS-Filed #2-1 rep

TNS-Easy Narrow HG250-1 rep-2.25" spread

TNS-Hard Narrow HG250-1 rep-2.5" spread

TNS-Hard Wide HG250-1 rep-2.75" spread-nice set of stair stepper grippers

TNS-PDA262-1 rep

TNS-Cert Super Master-88 total reps-just for old times sake :D

TNS-PDA280-AttemptX1-too fried from all the other CSM work

Decided to call the workout quits here...I wanted to beat my PR of 100 total reps with the CSM before I loan it out to a Board member for a while. Oh well, my strength failed me. But not a problem.

I usually don't list my left handed work, but I did 271 total reps with my 2.25" HG250. Definitely a PR even though it's a very easy HG250.

Did some plate pinching for the heck of it. Could just barely clear the floor left handed with (5) 10s. Weird. Couldn't even budge them with my right. I haven't been working my plate pinching at all lately. Not for a while at least.

Passed (4) 10s around my waist 20 times for a new PR. Not bad for me. My previous best was 15. 2 finger and thumb pinched (4) 10s pretty easily. Which is nothing big but felt decent.

I've been using my Kettlestack a lot recently. I just don't post the workouts here for all to see. Not strong enough yet. Or possibly ever. :D But I am a huge fan of the KS. I had to start at 35 pounds first. I unwisely started at 75 pounds on the first day I had it. That quickly changed as I couldn't even clean it once. It was way too awkward. So I slowly worked my way up to 55 pounds. I've been using that for a month or so now. Today (the 7th) I moved up to 75 pounds finally. It felt wonderful.

I feel stronger in day to day activities and especially when "wrestling" inmates at work. Had one charge me a few days ago and actually slam into me (a felony in KS). Went hands on (of course!) and ended it very quickly. Hand strength is yet again a small step above what it has been in the very recent past. Not to mention my wrist strength seems to be improving slightly but noticeably.

So there's my little product endorsement for Kettlestack. :)

Ben,

tomorrow is the meeting with my buddies and if I have a good day, I'll do

a serious attempt on the GM, that means I'll try to certify on it.

Its questionable that I will close it even on a good day, though but I'm close enough to try him from now on each meeting we'll have.

Thankx, Ben.

However I was to weak. :(

I did two attempts but couldn't close it.

That thing is really tough.

Checkout the Still Shot, I extracted for you:

GM No-Set Attempt

Well, the good thing is:

The rumble goes on. :D

Very nice Franky! :bow That's awesomely close. I'm glad the challenge goes on, but I also tried my Cert GM after "warming up" with a few hundred reps on some other grippers. Not even close. Maybe 3/8" or slightly more. Crap.

12-12-04

Gripper time at work today!

TNS-#1-40 total reps

TNS-(Shrug's) Double Filed #1-40 total reps

TNS-Wide #2-40 total reps

TNS-New #2-40 total reps

TNS-Filed #2-40 total reps

TNS-2.25" HG250-40 total reps

TNS-2.5" HG250-40 total reps

TNS-2.75" HG250-40 total reps

320 total reps. And one attempt on the Cert GM after probably 200 or so reps on the other grippers. Not even close. :D

Perhaps, you should warmup with some fewer reps? :laugh

I would love to be able to sometimes do a gripper workout at work.

Not easy for a programmer though. ;)

12-12-04

After my 12 hour shift at work I went home and punished the 75 pound Kettlestack. Or maybe it punished me. I lost track after a while. It seems to caress my stress away with a hammer fist. :D

I took it kind of easy rep wise with the KS because my hands had taken a bit of a beating with the grippers today. Some of the "new" grippers I have now are very sharp knurled. And it's all good. On a totally non-grip-related topic: If you haven't tried the exercise that Pavel (and probably others) calls the "windmill" then you really haven't begun to live yet. It is superb! I am very soft in the waist right now and actually had a bit of trouble with the 35 pound KS when I began a while back. Today I did the 75 pound KS for 2 reps in the windmill. Progress oh sweet progress. :mosher

After a 25 minute session with the KS I felt strong still and decided to do some plate pinching and an interesting V-Bar lift variation.

Plate Pinching-(5)10s-cleared the floor-right hand

-(5)10s-cleared the floor-left hand

-(5)10s-@ 3" off the floor

-(5)10s-nothing

2.375" PVC One Hand Vertical Bar Lift-95->2 centimeters-both hands

-140->2 centimeters-both hands

-150->2 centimeters-both hands

-160->2 centimeters-both hands

-170->2 centimeters-right hand only

The 2.375" V-Bar Lift is great. I used the Ironmind Olympic loading pin as the weight holder for this lift. I had the PVC handle already cut. 5.75" long. Loaded the weight onto the loading pin, then slid the PVC handle over the loading pin. Then secured the whole affair with a heavy duty collar. Then slid the PVC handle up to meet the collar. No chalk on the hands, just rubbed them briskly together. I'll probably post about the thicker V-Bar Lift elsewhere just to see how many have tried it. I am guessing that Clay could do 250 or so... :blink