Lets Get Ready To Rumble

FrankyBoy

Clay is a very bad choice as a guinea pig.

He always eats the testers. :laugh

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• FrankyBoy

• Darco

• pdoire

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good one today.

I'm still sore from the grip meeting last saturday.

Thumb-base, wrists and foreams are hurting.

Training:

#1,#2,RB210 set closes

1xRB300N Attempt (<1/8)

5x MM1 in choker: 2 closes, 3 x 1/16 miss

12-13-04

Tried out the block weights after a lengthy absence from them. I stopped messing with them to focus on more gripper volume for a while. But my hands are feeling pretty good lately...

35 York-Deadlift-FACE-2 singles-both hands

30 Hex-Deadlift-FACE-2 singles-both hands

25 Hex-Deadlift-FACE-2 singles-both hands

Just enough to get the old block weight juices flowing again...more later. :D

12-14-04

Today felt like a day to try something new with the grippers. At least new for me.

So in tribute to Darco's "flog" method...I did some TNS 2 finger closes.

TNS-Trainer-2 fingers-1-1-15-25-right hand-nice feel to it

TNS-#1-2 fingers-1-1-2-6-3-1-1-1-right hand-great forearm pump for me

Then did my mandatory Kettlestack training-nice easy workout to get the blood flowing

Plate Pinching-(5)10s-nothing-both hands

-(4)10s-5 laps around waist

-(4)10s-2 fingers and thumb-full deadlift-2 singles-both hands

-(4)10s(1)5-cleared the floor-right hand

-(4)10s(1)5-full deadlift-left hand

-(1)45(1)5-nothing-both hands

This workout just reinforced what I already knew about my plate pinching. It sucks!

Good stuff, which 2 fingers did you use for the TNS T & # 1 ? And was it inverted ?

12-15-04

Got a #3 in the mail. Mossman has graciously loaned it to me for a bit while he destroys my Cert SM. :bow It's a freaking monster! TNS I could only get it to parallel. WITH a set...I could only get it to parallel! Holy crap. I was hoping it would be on the easy side so I could use it to work up to my Cert GM...but it's way above my CGM. The great thing about it is that it makes my other grippers feel downright easy. After giving it 2 or 3 attempts, I rested a bit and tried the Cert GM. Used a CRS "nail" and closed it on that for one single. New PR! :rock I've been stuck at 3/8" for so long that I thought I might be there forever. I don't think Franky has anything to worry about any time soon though. But it's still nice to make progress, even if it's microscopic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-16-04

Yesterday was my girlfriend's birthday. I celebrated by letting her sleep longer. :D Mainly so I could do a bunch of workout related stuff.

Kettlestack training-beat my PRs on everything that I went after. Windmill for 4 reps each side. Double the previous PR reps of the workout on the 12th.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.375" PVC Vertical Bar Lift-175-nothing-both hands

-160-cleared the floor-right hand

-160->5 cm-left hand

-150->5 cm-both hands

-140->5 cm-both hands

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolling Thunder-141X3-right hand

-141X2-left hand

-151X1-both hands

-161X1-right hand

-161Xcleared the floor-left hand

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Plate Pinching-(5)10s-nothing-both hands

-(4)10s(1)5-full deadlift-both hands

-(5)10s-NEGX2 singles-@ 3" range of motion for now-both hands

This was probably a little much in terms of work for the hands. But it felt good. And if I had more coffee in my system I would have continued with gripper work...but we got busy with birthday stuff.

------------------------------------

Moss, how close do you get this #3 with a TNS? How about with a set? Damn man, no wonder my Cert SM feels like a toy to you!

Darco, even though it was a tribute to you, I didn't do the inverted style. I used the index and middle fingers to close. I'm pretty sure that with some rest and a modest #2 I could do the same to it. TNS with 2 fingers is laughable. All the weird positioning that goes on. Juggling might be a better term for it. :D

Maybe I should join your FLOG challenge? Inverted 3 finger (middle, ring, and pinky) close of the #2? Or is that rude of me to invite myself? :blush Either way, thanks for the inspiration! Keeps it new and exciting.

Maybe I should join your FLOG challenge? Inverted 3 finger (middle, ring, and pinky) close of the #2? Or is that rude of me to invite myself? blush.gif Either way, thanks for the inspiration! Keeps it new and exciting.

The more the marrier, just post anything related in the flog log, I have now become the under dog which is just the way I like it.

Thanks Darco! I don't think you're by any stretch of the imagination the underdog. Flogs are kind of like your baby...I will post often. Maybe when one of us finally succeeds, we can send the gripper to the others and see if they can replicate the feat with THAT gripper. That way we can't claim gripper variances. Plus it's always interesting to mess with other grippers. Does that make me a gripper swinger? :help

Sure, I suppose once we have BOTH done it we could do a switch, Should also specify that you can post your results in the FoggyDarco challenge log. My original log is just going to be anything for anything unrelated two my two current challeges.

12-15-04

Used a CRS "nail" and closed it on that for one single.  New PR! :rock  I've been stuck at 3/8" for so long that I thought I might be there forever.  I don't think Franky has anything to worry about any time soon though.  But it's still nice to make progress, even if it's microscopic. 

A new PR of you is always worrying me. :D

Was this a 1/4" nail?

Keep the good work, Ben!

Theres no doubt you'll get that thingy.

Thanks Franky. Actually I listed the 1/4" as CRS...it's actually a 60d nail that has had the head cut off. 1/4" diameter though. And it wasn't a super solid close, just a barely touched close. Today I'm doing flogs.

12-17-04

I've been flogging the heck out of my grippers! They're screaming for help. At least the Trainer is. :D

TNS-Flog-Trainer-179 total reps-best was 30 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-#1-9 total reps-1 attempt-best was 3 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-Wide #1-7 total reps-best was 2 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1 (Shrug's)-3 total reps-2 attempts-all singles

TNS-Flog-#2-2 attempts-closest was @ 1 cm

TNS-Flog-Wide #2-1 attempt-@ 1.5 cm

TNS-Flog-2.25" HG250-1 rep :rock -1 attempt-easier than most #2s though

---------------------------------------------

Set work was only positioning the gripper in the hand. No pulling of the handles together by the other hand.

---------------------------------------

Set-Flog-#2-3 attempts-closest was @ 1 cm

Set-Flog-2.25" HG250-1 rep

--------------------------------

These are great for the tendons I think. And probably good for the soul in some way. :D

Today I met ouzo12 (Jens Mayer) and did a severe bending session.

Of course we did some gripper work too. :D

Set

1xTrainer

1x#1

1x#2

1xRB 210

1xeasy #3

1xRB330N (~1/8)

1xMM1 in choker

1xhard #3 (1/8)

1x#4 force shut, then negative at about parallel

No-Set

2x#2

2xGM (0x)

The GM-No Set Attempts were done after a nearly 4 hours bending session. :trout

12-18-04

Just a little gripper work to work the kinks out.

TNS-Trainer-2 fingers-2 total reps

TNS-#1-2 fingers-4 total reps

TNS-Wide #1-2 fingers-5 total reps-best 3 consecutive reps

TNS-Filed #1-2 fingers-1 rep-2 attempts

TNS-#2-2 fingers-1 attempt

These seem to stress the finger tendons quite a bit when taken to an almost limit squeeze. But it's a good stress. :D

12-19-04

I have been on vacation from work since the 16th, so I have had plenty of time to hit the workouts as I please. Wanted to put it to good use today because I'll be leaving on the 21st and will be mostly on the road or in other people's houses. So I won't have access to most of my equipment. I'll take the grippers and my 75 pound Kettlestack.

Oh! Before I forget, I also had an idea today to tape the (5)10s together with duct tape until I can deadlift them that way. I'll tape it so that I'm not touching the tape when lifting them. It should help to train at that width. Then obviously I'll remove the tape and start again trying to deadlift them the "correct" way. I'm aware that's not a genius idea or anything but it came to me today when I was messing around with the 10s.

Did my mandatory Kettlestack training. New PRs in every exercise again. I'm still relatively new to the 75 pound weight so that might continue for a bit. But I'm going to start settling down with the KS and working on a nice slow buildup. I'd also like to buy another one to start training a two KS clean and jerk. I know it's going to be a whole different story than the one KS clean and jerk. I'd like to see how far away from the lowest ranking I am. I think at my weight I'd have to do 14 consecutive clean and jerks (long cycle) to make a Level 3. I'm FAR away from that right now, even with one KS. But I can only get stronger! Right hand only listed:

----------------------------------------------

Plate Pinching-(5)10s-nothing!-crap, this isn't easy to regain

-(5)10s-NEGX1-@ 3 inch range of motion-

-(4)10s(1)5-full deadlift

-full deadlift

-(4)10s-2 fingers (index and middle)-full deadlift

-full deadlift-X2 ***PR***

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolling Thunder-166X1-recent *PR*-felt like I could have gone slightly higher

-171Xcleared the floor

-176Xcleared the floor-PR for CTF

-181Xnothing

-151X2

-151XHold-5 seconds

-151X1

-151X1

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Later the same night...I got the urge to hit the RT again. What should I do? :help

Rolling Thunder-141X3, 141X4 *PR*, 141X2, 141X2, 141X2, 141X1, 141X2, 141X2, 141X2, 141X1, 141X1

The last time I really focused on the RT was for one of the Super Grip Challenges. I did 161 at home on my RT. And at the contest pulled 185 relatively easily, but not for credit...it's a long story. :blush I've been using a technique that someone posted about rubbing your hands on the handle until they heat up and start to squeak on the plastic. That has helped quite a bit. A week or so before I remembered the technique, I lifted 151 or 156 with about the same exertion level as the above 166.

Donate it, Ben. :laugh

Good work on the RT, will probably touch mine today also.

Didn't work with it for about 6 weeks or so.

Later the same night...I got the urge to hit the RT again.  What should I do? :help 

glad you like the gripper ben....its been awhile since i took a look at this log, but i see you guys have done a lot since you got my #3....i never tried a TNS close with the #3, but with a CC set my best was 3/8''....haven't hit that in a while though. very very nice blob work...that face work is tough!.......how is the 5 10's....they piss me off.....first time i tried, i got 4, but i have never got 5....i did the tape thing just like you. some cool RT work too..is it old or new? and i just have to ask, what is a kettlestack? :help im curious

frankie,

very impressive gripper work too....an RB 330? damn........and MM choker closes too.....thats cool.....did you get this from Tetting?......about that 4 hour :unsure bending session, what did you guys do? bet you guys are bad ass when it comes to bending...let me hear about it

Guest cmedwin
12-19-04

Oh!  Before I forget, I also had an idea today to tape the (5)10s together with duct tape until I can deadlift them that way.  I'll tape it so that I'm not touching the tape when lifting them.  It should help to train at that width.  Then obviously I'll remove the tape and start again trying to deadlift them the "correct" way.  I'm aware that's not a genius idea or anything but it came to me today when I was messing around with the 10s. 

Ben,

you can lose the duct tape ...

http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/72

Clay, thanks yet again for your suggestions regarding the Kettlestack. I'll get right on the Blobstack bandwagon. :D As soon as I get back from my vacation... late December.

Moss, the Kettlestack is best described by its creator, Clay Medwin. Or you can visit kettlestack.com for more info. I'm not trying to spam so I hope the moderators don't take this as such. In simple terms, it is an adjustable kettlebell. It is worth its weight in gold. Really.

12-20-04

Here follows a hell of a gripper workout. Not my highest in terms of volume or difficulty of grippers closed...but at least a slow, meandering skip down the road to Grip Valhalla.

TNS-Flog-Trainer-1 rep

TNS-Flog-#1-6 reps total-best was 3 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-Wide #1-11 reps total-best was 10 consecutive reps-***PR***

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1-1 rep

TNS-Flog-#2-AttemptX2-best was @ 1 cm

TNS-Flog-Wide #2-AttemptX1-@ parallel

TNS-Flog-2.25" HG250-AttemptX1-@ 2 mm

------------------------------------------------------

Then I switched to a "normal" (all 4 fingers being used) inverted TNS rep with the grippers.

------------------------------------------------------

TNS-Inverted-Trainer-1 rep

TNS-Inverted-#1-1 rep

TNS-Inverted-Wide #1-1 rep

TNS-Inverted-Double Filed #1-1 rep

TNS-Inverted-#2-9 reps total-best was 4 consecutive reps-***PR***

TNS-Inverted-Wide #2-1 rep-AttemptX1-@ 5 mm

TNS-Inverted-Short #2-AttemptX1-@ 1 cm

TNS-Inverted-Filed #2-4 reps total-best was 3 consecutive reps-***PR***

TNS-Inverted-2.25" HG250-6 reps total-all consecutive-***PR***

TNS-Inverted-2.5" HG250-1 rep-***PR***

TNS-Inverted-2.75" HG250-2 reps total-both consecutive-***PR***

TNS-Inverted-PDA262-5 reps total-best was 3 consecutive-***PR! :rock ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Many gripper PRs for me today...I've never closed my Filed #2 with an inverted close. Much less with a TNS. Same for the 2.5" and 2.75" HG250. The PDA262 is actually a pretty hard gripper TNS. At least usually it is. I somehow managed to close it TNS and Inverted for 3 consecutive reps today! My strength is improving rapidly on the inverted closes. Good times and see you guys in a week or so. Merry Christmas everybody! Take care.

:bow

A hell of new personal records Ben.

Excellent work, buddy.

@mossman:

Thanks.

Yes, I got the MM1-MM3 replicas directly from Tetting.

My MM1 is very close to the cert MM1-gripper according to Flo who has already certified on the MM1.

The RB330 is the first one sold with a narrow spread.

Its definately harder than the MM1, but much easier to set.

Concerning Bending:

I just started bending two month ago or so but I'm making constantly progress there.

During the 4h bending workout it took me about 15 minutes to take down a red prekinked to about 90 degrees.

Besides this I bent some blues which are feeling quite easy already.

Then we worked a lot with standard home depot nails of 6.0,7.0 and 7.6mm width.

I'm bending DU btw.

12-21-04

Gripper workout over vacation. Just enough to get the blood flowing. Barely.

TNS-Flog-Trainer-10 reps

TNS-Flog-#1-1

TNS-Flog-Wide #1-10 reps total-best was 4 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1-3 reps total-best was 2 consecutive reps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-22-04

TNS-Inverted-Hard Trainer-1

TNS-Inverted-Hard #1-1

TNS-Inverted-Hard #2-2 singles

------------

TNS-Hard Trainer-1

TNS-Hard #1-1

TNS-Hard #2-1

-------------

Later in the day (still on the 22nd)...

TNS-Flog-Trainer-200 reps total-best was 20 consecutive reps

TNS-Flog-#1-227 reps total-best was 16 consecutive reps ***PR!***

TNS-Flog-Wide #1-4 reps

---------------------------------------

I was guessing that this workout would put me pretty close to shutting that damn #2 Flog style.

12-25-04

Nothing quite like a gripper workout on Christmas. :D I learned from this workout that I should have attempted the #2 flog right after the Trainer warmup.

TNS-Flog-Trainer-5 reps

TNS-Flog-#1-1

TNS-Flog-Double Filed #1-30 reps total-best was 6 consecutive reps *PR*

TNS-Flog-#2-AttemptX2-best was @ <1/8"

TNS-Flog-Filed #2-AttemptX1-@ parallel

I was so damn close to shutting the #2 flog style that I had to turn it upside down to check the handles. But by that time they had already crept apart. At most I was 1/8" away.

----------------------

Later that day (still the 25th)...

TNS-Inverted-Trainer-1

TNS-Inverted-PDA262-12 reps total-best was 2 consecutive reps

Getting there slowly but surely. As someone else on the Board mentioned recently, I'm beginning to feel pretty comfortable with the Inverted closes.

Ben, the repping machine. :laugh

I had to pause from gripping due to my great idea to try a G5 bolt

without warming up on monday last week. :trout

Stressed a forearm extensor tendon.

Generates some pain when trying to close a gripper with my right.

So the last week I focussed on finger extensor work.

I'm doing it quite regularily now, at least twice a day using the IM bands.

The first days the back of my hands felt a bit sore.

Great feeling, btw. :D