Help!

dannyboy

hey guys i can close the #1 coc 42 times...i FULLY close it. but when i try the #2, i cant even close it once, mind you im very close but still no cigar. i thought if you could close the #1 20 - 25 times it means you can close the #2.

any advise? :bow

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dannyboy

• mooinabc1

• pdoire

• bencrush

Yeah, stop doing reps and concentrate on overcrushes and strapholds.

you got the sweep down now you need the finishing crush do long negatives on the #1 and #2.

If you can do 42 reps, there is NO reason at all to do negatives with that gripper, none. He's right about the 2, do some negatives, but overcrushes with the one are the way to go.

:bow strap holds huh....ok will do, correct me if im wrong, strap holds are for eg. a belt with a 10lb at the end, and you try and hold it as long as possible inbetween a coc?

For lighter weight a thin shoe string is better. A ratchet strap is very good too. The thinner the better.

shoe string? got ya, what kind of weight do you recomend i do with coc strap hold #1? is 10lb to much? and whats a good time to aim for wth strap holds.....man im a noob!!!!!!!

a 3lb plate is good to start with, especially with such a thin strap. add another 3lb plate if you can hold the 3lb'er for more than 20 seconds... try to eventually hold 6 or 9lbs for 20 seconds.

thanks hooligan, ill start tonight, dont have weight in the house, so untill i by one, i think ill use a soupcan or somthing like that tonight hehe

That's funny because 40reps is around what i can do on a #1 and i can close a #3 on a good day => i understand your frustration ! :whacked

Reps are good but only till 5-8 reps, past 10reps you don't build strength anymore ;)

Overcrushes on the #1, negatives on the #2, strapholds on the #1, buying an inbetween gripper (a BeefBuilder for example), Filing your #1, all these possibilities should work well.

My two cents to this topic:

A year ago, I was at 20 reps on the #2.

A year ago, I was at about 2 full cm left toward the #3.

Today, I'm at 10 reps on the #2 (on a good day).

Today, I can close my #3's, cold, a number of times each day.

Training for reps makes you good at doing reps.

Training max effort attempts at big grippers, makes you good at big grippers.

"Training for reps makes you good at doing reps. "

Eric, i find this statement to be true only when you train with a gripper with which can do +8reps. If you can just do 1rep with a gripper, training to close it for 8 reps will build strength that will result in the ability of closing a higher gripper. At least that's what i found. It's amazing you got such a discrepancy on your #2 reps :blink

It's amazing you got such a discrepancy on your #2 reps 
My body is pure fast-twitch muscle. Any form of high rep, endurance work... I just suck at it. On the other hand, my power and quickness is quite a bit above average, such as O-lifting, jumping, athletics. The same goes for grippers. At one time I was at 3 reps on the #2, when I first closed my #3. Go figure.
Eric, i find this statement to be true only when you train with a gripper with which can do +8reps. If you can just do 1rep with a gripper, training to close it for 8 reps will build strength that will result in the ability of closing a higher gripper.

True.

In the end, I've found my favorite training technique to be hard singles and only hard singles, with ZERO effort on sub-max grippers.

There's a few who have it both. Harlan Jacobs, an old lifting budy, ect... Huge guys who can do endurance work all day. "Marathon runner caught in a big-mans body", in Harlan's words.

yesssss, got the #2 closed now. now its time to work on repping it. btw i didnt try kta yet, i think im gunna wait till all gains stop

Hey, nice job DannyBoy. Gorilla Hands and I recommend you get a new #1 because the one you have now is either really weak or your #2 is really tough. Either way, having a tougher #1 is a good thing.

I know I'm going against the grain here, but I've responded well to high volume rep work. I'm not trying to down other methods, but I try to get to a point where I can really man-handle a gripper for numerous reps before stepping up to the next gripper. The key though, is the way I perform my reps. I kind of do them the same way I do deadlifts. I set the gripper, close, release and then take my hand completely off the gripper and shake it out a bit and then I repeat the process. Once I get to the point where I feel like I'm dominating that gripper, I start doing negatives with the next one up. This method, combined with a higher number of workouts has really helped my progress!

Guest gripmaster316

If you have just the slightest gap on one gripper try working on one that is one strength higher. I was always 1/16 of an inch with the two in my left hand and when I started training with the 3 I closed the 2 my next grip session. I am not sure if anyone else has suggested that yet but it does help none the less.

I find Nathan Holle was spot on when he said "the best form of progression is to develop the discipline to give ever single attempt your all". If you're looking to develop good maximal strength, don't waste your time with attempts that aren't all out.