Blacksmith513 training log

Blacksmith513

Messed around with my grippers today and did some blacksmithing. 

CFA3FBF8-CB34-4B7B-8B7C-3E2A72334AA1.png

• Like 5

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

nice

Thanks John... Last night I got thinking about another one of the guys who got me into old time strongman... Joe Price, he was a blacksmith. Everyone should watch this video if they never have.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/a-mighty-man-is-he

C2 5 minute warm up, 15 rounds of 30 seconds on 30 seconds off 5 minute cool down

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Last night I got thinking about another one of the guys who got me into old time strongman... Joe Price, he was a blacksmith. Everyone should watch this video if they never have.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/a-mighty-man-is-he

When he lights his cigarette with that piece of steel hahaha 😄 Cool video.

Maybe you could repurpose your bent drill rods when you have enough. It's high carbon steel that can be hardened so making some carving of bushcraft knives would be cool. I think they usually use W-1 drill rod for that, but maybe O-1 would be fine as well (you know better anyways). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matek said:

When he lights his cigarette with that piece of steel hahaha 😄 Cool video.

Maybe you could repurpose your bent drill rods when you have enough. It's high carbon steel that can be hardened so making some carving of bushcraft knives would be cool. I think they usually use W-1 drill rod for that, but maybe O-1 would be fine as well (you know better anyways). 

That's the plan!

• Like 1

cool video

Edited by John Knowlton

calisthenics

did diamond dive bombers and one legged dive bombers for a change

3x3 inch negatives

3 inch holds (two hands trying not to brace against thigh

L 10 8 7 seconds

R 10 8 8 seconds

RGT

77.5x2

80x2 hand sorta give out on 2nd rep right hand

77.5x2

72.5 x30 seconds 5 R 4 L

Simple and Sinister w pull ups inbetween swings 44lbs KB.. If my 55lbs KB handle wasn't to thick, I think i could do TGU's easy with it.

unbraced horseshoe bender with one spring.. Might do this for awhile. The motion is similar to a bow and arrow.

• Like 6

just 50 swings with the 30lbs sledge. But I swung it Fedor style i think its called. almost like swinging it like a mace.

Plus some online yoga... I'm man enough to admit i do it.😃

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

just 50 swings with the 30lbs sledge. But I swung it Fedor style i think its called. almost like swinging it like a mace.

Plus some online yoga... I'm man enough to admit i do it.😃

Haha nice! Yoga is good recovery work. I have backpain very often and when I do I also do yoga to recover!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Haha nice! Yoga is good recovery work. I have backpain very often and when I do I also do yoga to recover!

That's why I got into it.. I suffered from bad sciatic nerve pain in my late teens to mid 20s. Also me my brother and sister could not touch our toes without bending our knees... It took a few years but now I can touch the floor with my knees locked back. 

It has made a massive difference in recovery. 

• Like 3

Low reps calistenics... in rush, got court again (we are suing a guy who's screwed my family over).. Will get more into details after its over

WD 1-1 x3 orange spring

1-2x3

2-1x3

2-2x3

2-3x3

3-2x3

3-3x3 left

2-3x3 right

levering 14lbs sledge

22"x3

23x3

22x3

some warmups with chest krusher

bending

60d spiral

60d

6 3/4 x1/4 drill rod

6 1/2 drill rod (hurt my bicep)... will post vids later in rush

Isos 3x6 seconds G5

Simple and sinister 

25x4 w/28lbs kb

5x1 TGU 28lbs

also nailed my head doing HSP on door..  And got another concert tonight, long day ahead of me.  Gotta massage my left bicep on ride to court...

• Like 6

great workout

you do have a long day today

just take it one step at a time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

great workout

you do have a long day today

just take it one step at a time

yup thanks... Thats why I hurt myself, rushing this morning.  

19 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

So are you basically free styling with your workouts, i. e., deciding what you want to do from one day to the next? But in general alignment with your goals of course.

With grip no,  with the other stuff sort of... Jedd Johnson has a routine for me thats grip and bending.. But I warm up with calisthenics based on how I feel and how much time I have...   

But now I'm really focusing on handstand push ups as well and pull ups as well...  If I have time some ring dips.. Once I master HSPU i want to get good at 1 arm pushups.  I figure between grip and basic bodyweight routines I'll be very strong and in shape. I try to swing the sledgehammers 3 nights a week, but sometimes its only once or twice... 

I just started simple and sinister again and I would like to get to 100lbs TGU.. But thats going to be slow because grip comes first and if i'm in a rush or tired I just use light KBs and get a cardio session in. 

and with the Concept 2... Thats just based on whatever I feel like doing that day.

Long story short grip and bending are the focal point of my workouts... The other stuff I do go based on feel but i've been making steady progressions. If my 55lbs KB didn't have a massive handle I know I could do TGU with it right now.

Today

1000m warm up 2000m in 9:11 and 1000m cool down.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

With grip no,  with the other stuff sort of... Jedd Johnson has a routine for me thats grip and bending.. But I warm up with calisthenics based on how I feel and how much time I have...   

But now I'm really focusing on handstand push ups as well and pull ups as well...  If I have time some ring dips.. Once I master HSPU i want to get good at 1 arm pushups.  I figure between grip and basic bodyweight routines I'll be very strong and in shape. I try to swing the sledgehammers 3 nights a week, but sometimes its only once or twice... 

I just started simple and sinister again and I would like to get to 100lbs TGU.. But thats going to be slow because grip comes first and if i'm in a rush or tired I just use light KBs and get a cardio session in. 

and with the Concept 2... Thats just based on whatever I feel like doing that day.

Long story short grip and bending are the focal point of my workouts... The other stuff I do go based on feel but i've been making steady progressions. If my 55lbs KB didn't have a massive handle I know I could do TGU with it right now.

Today

1000m warm up 2000m in 9:11 and 1000m cool down.

That's good. Reason I ask is because I'm reverting to something similar. I will choose an exercise or two per day and hammer it/them with an arbitrary number of reps, i.e., clean and press sandbag x40, shoulder sandbag x40, and complete it in whatever way I want throughout the day.

Don't feel like working out the next day? Then I won't. But when I do again, it might be diamond push-ups x100, sandbag squat x60, reverse lunge x30.

Next day? Maybe I don't feel any big compounds, but maybe wrist levers and neck work. Next day might be a full day of carries.

I'm not going to measure reps per set or rest times. I'll measure everything by weight, ensuring there's a steady increase, i.e. next month I'll add 5lbs to the sandbag, or 10lbs.

We'll see how it goes.

• Like 3

Calisthenics 2-16 Hindu squats push-ups and bridges 

assisted handstand pupshups

Loadable Dumbell

70x2x3

80x2x3 negatives 

Chest Krusher

2 springs 2x3 3 springs 1x5 4 springs 2x1

RGT

75x2

77.5x2

80x2 little boost from hand

77.5x 1 

rgt thumbless holds

70 8 seconds r

70 10 records l

72.5 r 6x2

72.5 l 8x2

Napalm

150x3

152.5x3

155x3

157.5x3

160x3

S&S 

Swings 55lbsx 10

TGU 55lbs x 3 both hands 

44lbs x 2 both hands

Ring Pull ups 5,5 4,3

ring dips 3x7

horseshoe bender 4x4 

*edit* forgot 2x20 with thumbscrews on vulcan gripper and sledgehammer pro/sup 10 reps each way x 2

off to dig a trench now... 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 8

Nice one.

and you still have to go to work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice one.

and you still have to go to work

Thank you. It wasn’t bad. 20 feet roughly and 1 foot deep. Had to dig under ac unit which was tricky. 

now 

100 swings 20lbs sledge like I’m chopping wood

50 each side one arm swings with 16lbs sledge.

Curled one can that weighed about 12ounces and evaporated really quickly.

• Like 4

Nice 

amazing how fast 12 ounce cans evaporate

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice 

amazing how fast 12 ounce cans evaporate

Yes it is.. That is why I only had one.   12ounces can very easily turn into 144ounces and a bad headache the next day. 

This morning I watched a documentary on the Mighty Atom.. I now remember exactly how I really got interested in this stuff. I saw his son Mike pull a car with his teeth at age 93 on some tv show.. Started reading about the Might Atom, found out about Slim and the rest is history. 

• Like 2