Race To The Red Nail

Chez

You inspired me Isaiah. This is my best so far with a pre-kinked red nail. I'm all crush down and no starting technique. Strong language in the music so don't watch it around kids.

Good Crush. My Kink Strength is also Bad but My Crush is Strong. Learning a good Kink Technique for Me is the Hard part.

Nice bend Chez! Your technique is comin' along!

I cut my lether s to 4" X 14". For minimal padding i use 4" X 10" from DHWOG.

• Like 1

Reached level 6 on the torque ladder today:

Will take a while before I can kink a red this way!

:shuriken:

Got a red nail pre-kinked 35 degrees today after a long grip session. It is the least pre-kinked Red Nail I have ever gotten. Don't have a video though :(.

Got a red nail pre-kinked 35 degrees today after a long grip session. It is the least pre-kinked Red Nail I have ever gotten. Don't have a video though :(.

Damn...I thought we got that on video???

Damn...I thought we got that on video???

ya, I think we started when I tried the grade 8 after I was fried. oh well. Had a great time training with you John. Thank you very much for having me over. I might give that Grade 8 another try in a couple hours. I'm little pissed that I got a slight (very small kink) and couldn't finished.

Had a good bending workout yesterday. Warmed up with 3 X 60D spiral timber ties, a 5 1/2 inch CRS 1/4", then a 5in CRS 1/4", Was able to get a 6in Grade 5 bolt and then a 7in CRS Hex 1/4". This was all after an upper body workout. Didn't feel super strong during the workout but still managed some PR bends. A hit a wall when I went for the 7in Square stock 1/4" CRS. I'll upload the videos to these when I get a chance.

June3rdBends.jpg

Isaiah, how did the 7" square stock compare to a Grade 5 bolt in terms of difficulty to kink and crushdown? I'm not sure if I was just tired or not but I was able to get the Grade 5 bolt but not the square stock.

Nice bending Brian! The square is pretty tough compared to the the G5. It's a bit harder to kink because of the length and the crush is harder as well. According to Aaron's progression chart he rated a 6"x1/4" G5 at 375 lbs. and a 7"x1/4" Square at 380lbs. I find the difference feels much larger than 5 lbs. And all the steel is going to vary from batch to batch. It might take a little while to get used to the length of the 7" stock, especially at higher difficulties. Way to go on the G5 though man! You're gettin closer! Keep it up!

Nice bending Brian! The square is pretty tough compared to the the G5. It's a bit harder to kink because of the length and the crush is harder as well. According to Aaron's progression chart he rated a 6"x1/4" G5 at 375 lbs. and a 7"x1/4" Square at 380lbs. I find the difference feels much larger than 5 lbs. And all the steel is going to vary from batch to batch. It might take a little while to get used to the length of the 7" stock, especially at higher difficulties. Way to go on the G5 though man! You're gettin closer! Keep it up!

I think I've said this about a hundred times but here goes again. You can only directly compare poundage on same length pieces. A 7" piece at the same poundage as a 6" piece is going to be much harder because of multiple factors. Roughly 20% tougher I would guesstimate. A 7x1/4" FBBC Square is generally very close to a 7x5/16 round (batch of steel dependent of course).

- Aaron

I think I've said this about a hundred times but here goes again. You can only directly compare poundage on same length pieces. A 7" piece at the same poundage as a 6" piece is going to be much harder because of multiple factors. Roughly 20% tougher I would guesstimate. A 7x1/4" FBBC Square is generally very close to a 7x5/16 round (batch of steel dependent of course).

- Aaron

Well there you go Brian. Question answered.

Thanks guys, the 7" square stock shall be my next victim, followed by either the 6" square stock or the G8 and then me and the Red are going to have a old fashion show down. The one thing I wanted to add about the G5 that is unique to the other stock is the bit of recoil I felt during the crush down. I would feel it move a little then recoil back. I'm assuming the G8 will have this similar property.

Thanks guys, the 7" square stock shall be my next victim, followed by either the 6" square stock or the G8 and then me and the Red are going to have a old fashion show down. The one thing I wanted to add about the G5 that is unique to the other stock is the bit of recoil I felt during the crush down. I would feel it move a little then recoil back. I'm assuming the G8 will have this similar property.

G8 will have more spring. The spring back on the 5/16" G8 was something to behold. Damn near tore a pec the first time I successfully bent one in a contest.

- Aaron

That brings up a question - I already have a torn pec - should I give up on ever bending a red nail? The best I've done so far is a 60d.

That brings up a question - I already have a torn pec - should I give up on ever bending a red nail? The best I've done so far is a 60d.

No it should not limit you on bending the Red unless it was a pretty extreme tear. For me the forces necessary to bend stuff were not too bad until I bent the Edgin and beyond (7x5/16 G5 bolt). When I first started working on Edgin bends I didn't have the flexibility to get my elbows fully in front of the bar yet to get leverage and managed to separate the joint where the collarbone connects to the shoulder trying to kink one of those. Had a couple minor pec tears leading up to the KOAB as well near the tendon attachment to the arm. Those healed with some direct work to break up the scar tissue and did not limit further progression. Both of those levels are WAY beyond the Red level though. Just take your time and focus on getting the technique down before focusing entirely on max effort bends. I'll be glad to help you with technique if you remind me next time your down.

- Aaron

Thanks for the feedback Aaron. I have been working on reverse technique lately, since that seems to be the strongest for me. I can also lock the right shoulder down and stabilize with my lat to avoid too much pressure that way. The crush down is where bending can end up putting more stress on the pec for me. It was a pretty sizable tear that I did trying too quickly to ramp back up on bench about 16 years ago. There is bare tendon where the muscle let go and it bunched up below that. The next time I'm down I'll definitely get your direction on technique improvements.

Sounds like that was the Suck! We can likely work around it technique wise and get you comfortably reversing Reds once you are strong enough. Based on how you did with the wrist stuff we tried last time you came down you are going to have to put some time in to bring wrist strength up a fair amount. Tis totally doable though.

- Aaron

Aaron,

What qualifies as an Edgin bend?

Aaron,

What qualifies as an Edgin bend?

I'm not Aaron, but an Edgin is a 7"x5/16 grade 5 bolt.

Thanks Dave. That sounds like a deadly bolt.

Whats a good nail after the blue to work on to get towards the red? I can do several blues in one session pretty easily yet the red is still a long ways away. Need a good next level nail to work on and ironmind doesn't sell anything in between. Figure someone here would know since your working toward the red nail.

Whats a good nail after the blue to work on to get towards the red? I can do several blues in one session pretty easily yet the red is still a long ways away. Need a good next level nail to work on and ironmind doesn't sell anything in between. Figure someone here would know since your working toward the red nail.

I am far from a bending expert (more of a gripper guy), but I have been told numerous times that after a blue you should work on bending a 6 inch long 1/4 inch thick grade 5 bolt, then a 6 inch long 1/4 inch thick grade 8 bolt and then the red. I just bent my first grade 5 a couple weeks ago. I'm working on the grade 8 right now.

I am far from a bending expert (more of a gripper guy), but I have been told numerous times that after a blue you should work on bending a 6 inch long 1/4 inch thick grade 5 bolt, then a 6 inch long 1/4 inch thick grade 8 bolt and then the red. I just bent my first grade 5 a couple weeks ago. I'm working on the grade 8 right now.

There's also square stock, hex stock, stainless, etc. One of the best ways to incrementally train is with 0-1 drillrod. You can look on Aaron's site for steel rating comparisons and use that as a guide as well. Remember only sizes of a comparable length can really be looked at effectively as far as bending difficulty goes. Example a 450# 7" bar is significantly tougher than a 6" 500# bar.