Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

... it may never heal.

True, but probably unlikely. I just wanted to say I had a similar issue when I started and it did go away after I rested it for a few weeks. For me it was a case of trying to do too much too soon. You really need to build a base with grippers before cautiously expanding your limits.

Good advice already given. Additionally, just about any regular exercise with a sledgehammer or blobs will help build up the pads in your hands. A meatier hand will help protect against gripper stress. Also...be patient, allow your body catch up to the mind. Every 1/16" is a mini-celebration...you got stronger. Time is actually your friend.

contrast baths, or just plain heat now and then will help. ice after any sort of workout to help reduce inflammation/swelling.

concentric only exercises for pushing blood into the hands... eccentric is where the bulk of tissue damage occurs in a given exercise.

Thanks guys. I will be resting now. Do you think it is possible to close the #3 after I have now closed the #2 easily? I don't have large hands. I'd it possible to get to the #3?

Thanks guys. I will be resting now. Do you think it is possible to close the #3 after I have now closed the #2 easily? I don't have large hands. I'd it possible to get to the #3?

of course it is possible for you to close the #3.

It'll probably feel like that for a while... best thing for you to do is rest and do recovery work. The term is delayed transformation, in laymans terms, that you don't get stronger from training but you get stronger in the recovery period after you train. Systems(connective tissue, nerves, organs) are strained then after recovering they compensate for the strain by becoming stronger. This is why strength gains aren't linear they are wavelike, from training session to training session you may experience a decrease in strength, but after a layoff you are stronger than ever. So from day to day you do not become stronger, but the general trend should be to become stronger (taking place over a period of time; months).

Edited by hellswindstaff
  • Like 1

Reason why I asked is I'm around an inch from closing it now, and it feels impossibly hard.

Heh. When I first tried the 2.5 I thought the exact same thing...now it's a warmup. Embrace the long term view. If you can improve even a 1/16" every three weeks, that #3 of yours will drop within a year.

• Like 1

Reason why I asked is I'm around an inch from closing it now, and it feels impossibly hard.

Heh. When I first tried the 2.5 I thought the exact same thing...now it's a warmup. Embrace the long term view. If you can improve even a 1/16" every three weeks, that #3 of yours will drop within a year.

1+

Since I don't have a 2.5 anymore, this'll have to do:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im within a MM or two of closing 2.5. I have noticed that my GNC250 is sligtly easier than the 2.5 in leiu of being rated tougher in pounds. Is the narrower spread vs. wider any less challenging to close when performing No Set Closes ( which is all I do) ?

I am so close to wide setting my #2.5. heavy negatives on my RB adjustable has helped a lot but the exercises that helped me out more than anything is CCS'ing and wide setting my #2, IMTUGS 3,4,5 and working my thumbs. I might even close it by the end of next week. I'll continue MMS'ing the 2.5 as well just to work on that final few millimeters of closing it (can rep it for 4). I'll keep you blokes posted. Congrats on all your progress fellas. 2013 FOR THE #3 WOO!

Im within a MM or two of closing 2.5. I have noticed that my GNC250 is sligtly easier than the 2.5 in leiu of being rated tougher in pounds. Is the narrower spread vs. wider any less challenging to close when performing No Set Closes ( which is all I do) ?

I personally find narrower spreads are easier to close (My manus grippers) especially practicing on a TNS and CCS. I enjoy working with the wider spread grippers more though, they are more challenging, like I do this with my GHP's, I worked on the level 5 with wide sets, eventually my CoC 2 got so damn easy to close, then shortly after my GHP 5 fell next, then My 2.5 just like yourself, Im millimeters from shutting it with a wide set. So definitely work those wider spread grippers. itll do you a world of good.. even if they are easier than your goal gripper. strengthen that extra range of motion.

Good luck bro.

Since I don't have a 2.5 anymore, this'll have to do:

man you would have absolutely creamed the 2.5 if you TNS the 6 like that. I can only MMS my GHP6. one day ill credit card close it lol

I must have an insanely tough 2.5 because I have been trying to get this damn thing for month and am no where closer today than I was months ago. Making nice gains on everything else but grippers for some reason is a huge weakness for me. I think i'm going to chill out with trynig to close it each week during my grip sessions and pick up a GHP 5 and get some singles, doubles, etc on that for a while before I attempt the 2.5 again. I don't think I can take another failed attempt mentally. It;s aggrevating.

Same exact thing happened to me, man. Was within a couple mm's for months, it was infuriating. Definitely change things up, get some good time with the GHP 5 in. Do you have a Vulcan? Maybe work the set some more? Always good to change up your programming if you hit a plateau, if not take a full break outright for a little while.

I have an Adjustable RB that also has an extendor handle and am looking to order a GHP 5 end of the month. Thanks for the tip!

I must have an insanely tough 2.5 because I have been trying to get this damn thing for month and am no where closer today than I was months ago. Making nice gains on everything else but grippers for some reason is a huge weakness for me. I think i'm going to chill out with trynig to close it each week during my grip sessions and pick up a GHP 5 and get some singles, doubles, etc on that for a while before I attempt the 2.5 again. I don't think I can take another failed attempt mentally. It;s aggrevating.

Same thing happened to me. Everything else but grippers were going up. Then maybe a month ago i started training seriously with strapholds and all of a sudden last week I could close the #2.5 with no problem. Change is good, you just need to experiment a bit and keep things moving.

Will try strap holds with the 2 as well. Glad I mentioned it on the forums to get some different ideas for how to change up my current gripper routine. Rest of my grip progress is going good so I'll stick with what I've been doing so far for those but grip has to change.

Try working your extensors, fellas. believe me strengthening them will help you A LOT! also try cheating your goal grippers shut for negatives? just try and get your hands used to that force, heavy negatives certainly helped me out. got imtugs? no? invest in one or two, get your pinky and ring finger up to strength. But good work on going back a gripper, sometimes its best to take a step back and get stronger.

Wider is always going to be more challenging because there is greater time under tension, thereforth greater amount of work being done, so fatigue sets in before you even get to the narrow spread. It may be beneficial to do some choker closes.

You have the dogleg in your palm right?

It seems to both ground the power and help me pull.

I feel like it's some jedi shit. Probably some neurological phenomenon, but it's like going nowhere... here comes the thumb and BOOM grippers begins moving again all the way to close.

In addition to the above, I think it makes your hand more stationary and focuses your power on the close itself instead of where your hand is.

Also, you may be pulling the gripper shut by holding one leg with your thumb. Even if you were only exerting a pound or two of force this way, it'd help a lot at the end of a close.

Never tried it. I do know that the position of the gripper before the set makes a world of difference for me. If the gripper in the closing hand is even 1/8" further down my hand (i.e. extended beyond the pinkie tendon), it can make for a no-close. It's to the point where I almost want to tattoo a little line there for reference.

In addition to the above, I think it makes your hand more stationary and focuses your power on the close itself instead of where your hand is.

Also, you may be pulling the gripper shut by holding one leg with your thumb. Even if you were only exerting a pound or two of force this way, it'd help a lot at the end of a close.

I'm getting no assistance from it because I'm barely touching it and I think that I'm touching it on the side(?!?), it's like a power up... it's weird. The 2.5 is a limit strength crush for me at the moment, on the good days I get it.

Never tried it. I do know that the position of the gripper before the set makes a world of difference for me. If the gripper in the closing hand is even 1/8" further down my hand (i.e. extended beyond the pinkie tendon), it can make for a no-close. It's to the point where I almost want to tattoo a little line there for reference.

That's not a bad idea... I generally just make sure that the very last bit of my pinkie bone is touching the very last bit of the gripper... if that makes sense. I know some people say split the pinky on the gripper handle, but I find that my pinkie slides off the last 1/2 inch or so on the close using that method.