Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

for the icing...contrast baths have helped me a lot. straight up icing a lot less so. I know that when Rindo had elbow issues he got much better results with heat than ice. and this last week or so MobilityWOD has advised people to stay away from icing. so, the contrast baths are an insane amount of blood flow. very different from straight icing. hope it helps.

see you sat.

Yup. I jacked MANY tendons just recently and am still healing up. Contrast baths before bedtime made a huge difference. It really made me a believer of them.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure I will be able to compete. Still crazy sore and beat up. Been doing the contrast baths and it has helped. I'm going for a massage pretty soon to see if they can loosen me up. It only hurts now when I try to do any form of strength training. If I'm relaxing, I feel no pain. I know I'm not injured. The tendons and ligaments just need time to relax and completely recover. The event I am the most worried about is the wrist developer since it really taxes the entire arm. I borrowed one from a friend and every time I have tried this week, my arms flared up real bad. I might compete and just not go all out on that event. I'll make the decision in the morning depending on how I feel. Either way, I'm driving to Jedd's early in the morning. Worst Case Scenario: Everyone will have a 260lb cheerleader yelling encouragement at them to hit PRs! :)

Interesting write up Chez! there's so much to do in griptraining, I've been neglecting other gripareas. Nice work on the level 16 though, although you surely may do better when healthy, it's still a good close. Consider it a nice grip-get together and training session. Wise to take it easy. Armwrestling...weighttraining...bending...you've got a lot of results lately! In time bro...you'll get that second photo on the IM site.

Even though I'm not 100% I decided to compete in world's strongest hands Yesterday. He is a quick write up of the events.

Event 1 - Vulcan V2 with a 20mm block set: I started having trouble setting the higher levels with my tendons still sore. I ended up getting Level 16 on my last attempt but I had to give it everything because the set was wide. Kinda of pissed because I know I can get level 17 easy when healthy and I wanted to make a run at level 18 with contest adrenaline. oh well. Its more important to heal up.

Event 2 - wrist developer: This was the event that scared me the most. It creates a lot of torque on the arms and shoulders and right now I can't take that kind of stress. Every time I tried this device this week, my arms flared up and I had hours of pain. My arms starting to act up a little after the Vulcan, so I took more Ibuprofen and kept them warm. I decided to skip this event entirely. I didn't want to risk injury or be in pain for hours.

Event 3 - adjustable thick bar: First time I have tried this piece of equipment. I was going to skip it after the Vulcan because my arms acted up and I was worried of tearing something by putting heavy strain on my arm. I decided to give it a shot anyway since the Ibuprofen I took after the Vulcan started kicking in. I also used my right arm even though my left is stronger on thick bar. My left took most of the abuse on the vulcan from setting so I wanted to rest it. I ended up with 184+ using the second largest handle (about rolling thunder sized).

Event 4 - Stub: Been using my ghetto version in training. This was the event that scared me the least. Its pretty hard to get hurt on this since the device doesn't let you lift a lot of weight. I ended up lifting about 39.4 lbs on my third lift. I went up 2.5 lbs on my 4th attempt and missed. I should have made a smaller jump to break in the 40+ range. Oh well. At least I know how to do this lift now. I saw it in the medley at nationals and had no idea how to grab it.

Note: I was just happy I could compete and get experience on these events. The world of grip events aren't contested much in U.S. grip comps but they sometimes show up in medleys. I'm going to continue to heal up this week. I may do cardio and lower body lifting tomorrow. I'm going to continue to hold off on upper body lifting and grip for a couple days until my arm soreness is completely gone.

Once I get back into grip training, my focus is going to be certing on the IM red nail. Its time to accomplish this goal. No more messing around.

You'll get that red nail bro and great courage in competing as you were a warrior with wounds before going on! Keep doing what you do

Interesting write up Chez! there's so much to do in griptraining, I've been neglecting other gripareas. Nice work on the level 16 though, although you surely may do better when healthy, it's still a good close. Consider it a nice grip-get together and training session. Wise to take it easy. Armwrestling...weighttraining...bending...you've got a lot of results lately! In time bro...you'll get that second photo on the IM site.

Thanks Geralt. I really appreciate that. Its been a very tough week for me dealing with tons of pain. Mentally I was exhausted this week. I have so many strength goals and they get hard to balance sometimes. I really need to start focusing one goal at a time. I'm very hard myself so it was difficult for me to accept only getting level 16 but I have to be smart and recover so I can make noise in competitions next year. Once I destroy the red nail, I'm focusing on Andrew Durniat's grip comp next February. I have been expanding my training because I want to have well rounded body strength and hand stength. I talked to a couple of arm wrestlers and they said this pain is normal for several months in the beginning until my arms adapt. I have decided to stop arm wrestling because I love weight training and grip training too much. I can't take off weeks at a time in order to recover from AW.

• Like 2

I'm still too bang up to do upper lifting or grip. The tendons in my arms are feeling much better but I'm feeling pain in my shoulders now. I have been doing some research and I think I have inflammation and tendinitis in the shoulders which is also called "weight lifter's shoulder." It gets better daily and I just need to be patient and keep resting. I decided to train my legs tonight since I'm sick and tired of just sitting around. This was a light workout on my universal home gym which uses digital resistance. I didn't include the weight used on each exercise because the weight on this machine is very different than free weights and would only make sense to someone who has used the machine.

Calf Raises

4 sets of 30 reps

Leg Extensions

6 sets of 12 reps

Hamstring Curls

3 sets of 10 reps

Leg Press (Fast and explosive since the machine doesn't have enough resistance)

3 sets of 10 reps

Note: Hopefully I can start doing upper body and grip soon but I won't rush things.

Arms and shoulders felt much better today so I decided to do a light TNS gripper workout. TNS stops me from busting out the big grippers which is good since I'm not ready to hit those just yet. I did lots of warm up sets to make sure that my arms are ready for grip training. I just got a 179lb rated Elite from Ben Edwards and it has been super hard staying away from it. I have to start upping the intensity of the workouts slowly.

TNS Grippers

Right Hand

Warm ups

GNC 50 = 10 reps

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC Trainer = 5 reps

GNC 100 = 5 reps

COC .5= 3 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #1.5 = 3 reps

GNC 150 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

Working

COC #2.5 = 4 sets of 2 reps

Left Hand

Warm ups

GNC 50 = 10 reps

COC Sport = 10 reps

COC Trainer = 5 reps

GNC 100 = 5 reps

COC .5= 3 reps

COC #1 = 3 reps

COC #1.5 = 3 reps

GNC 150 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 3 reps

Working

GNC 200 = 4 sets of 2 reps

Extensors

IM Blue Band = 3 sets of 20 reps each hand

Note: going to try a light back and biceps workout tomorrow night. I'm almost done setting up my 2 HP Euro. I just need to clean up the rubber cuts and buy some spin locks.

Edited by Chez

Busted out my new Euro last night. Its brand new and super slick so I figure I gotta keep using it so it seasons up. Its not 100% completed yet. I still need to buy those spin lock collars to keep the pinching area tight (The rogue fitness lock jar collars that I have don't keep the plates and rubber tight enough). Good enough to start training though. I took it easy and made it a light workout which is always hard for me to do.

2 Hand Pinch on Brand New Euro

Warm ups

50 lbs (device weighs a little over 50lbs empty) = 10 reps

72 lbs = 5 reps

92 lbs = 5 reps

111 lbs = 3 reps

120 lbs = 3 reps

Working

130 lbs = 3 sets of 2 reps - plenty more in the tank but I resisted the urge to increase the weight. This is good enough for now.

- I kept chalking the surface in between reps to help season it up. The edges are also super sharp so I kept rubbing the edges with metal sand paper to smooth them out. My thumb webbing took a little beating.

IM Hub - Weight only includes the weight plates

Warm ups

20lbs = 5 lifts on each hand

30lbs = 3 lifts on each hand

Working

40lbs = 3 sets of 2 reps on each hand.

- The hub is a big weakness of mine so I bought this to change that. I need to get stronger on this lift.

Extensors

IM Blue Band = 4 sets of 20 reps on each hand.

Note - I worked as an unpaid intern for a company and they just gave me a nice fat check to say thank you. you know what that means. I'm buying more equipment. I'm thinking of buying a V-bar.

Thanks Geralt. I really appreciate that. Its been a very tough week for me dealing with tons of pain. Mentally I was exhausted this week. I have so many strength goals and they get hard to balance sometimes. I really need to start focusing one goal at a time. I'm very hard myself so it was difficult for me to accept only getting level 16 but I have to be smart and recover so I can make noise in competitions next year. Once I destroy the red nail, I'm focusing on Andrew Durniat's grip comp next February. I have been expanding my training because I want to have well rounded body strength and hand stength. I talked to a couple of arm wrestlers and they said this pain is normal for several months in the beginning until my arms adapt. I have decided to stop arm wrestling because I love weight training and grip training too much. I can't take off weeks at a time in order to recover from AW.

i listen to a lot of podcasts during my time on the road. i always here trainers talk about their clients with their many goals, some which are counter productive toward each other. it is wise to narrow the focus of your goals. have a few short term goals and a few long term goals. evaluate how your training and nutrition help you or hinder you from achieving those goals. this is where the distinction between training and working out comes into play.

sand that thumb edge down homie. if you remember jedd's plates it's not sharp at all. sweet you got a 2HP now. It's the only way to get better at it.

i listen to a lot of podcasts during my time on the road. i always here trainers talk about their clients with their many goals, some which are counter productive toward each other. it is wise to narrow the focus of your goals. have a few short term goals and a few long term goals. evaluate how your training and nutrition help you or hinder you from achieving those goals. this is where the distinction between training and working out comes into play.

That is exactly what I'm doing Chuck. I'm going to continue to train everything but focus on one major goal at time. Its hard to go all out on everything all the time. It takes a toll on the body. For example: I want to Cert the Red Nail next and intense bending kills gripper strength. At the same time, I want revenge on the MM3 so I'm going to continue to train grippers but do higher reps until I get the red nail. I do have to work on my nutrition though, It would be nice to drop down to the 105KG class and feel more athletic.

sand that thumb edge down homie. if you remember jedd's plates it's not sharp at all. sweet you got a 2HP now. It's the only way to get better at it.

Thanks dude. Going to sand it down this weekend. Trying to bring up all my weaknesses and the only way to do that is to have the actual equipment to train on.

Feeling stronger everyday. I hit back and biceps at home tonight. My home gym setup is coming along nicely. I busted out the Olympic bar that I got from a friend tonight for the first time. I'm still holding back a little since my biceps are still not 100% but they are getting there.

Conventional Deadlifts on a Olympic bar

Warm ups

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 8 reps

235 lbs = 5 reps

Working

266 lbs = 5 reps

287 lbs = 5 reps

302 lbs = 5 reps

- Had to tell myself to walk away. That is good enough tonight.

Bent over Dumbbell Rows

- weight only includes the weight plates

50lbs = 10 reps each side

70 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each side

Lat Pulldowns

- done on digital home gym so I'm not including the weight in this log

3 sets of 12 reps

Dumbbell curls

21 lbs = 12 reps each arm

31 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps each arm

Dumbbell Hammer Curls

31 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps each arm

Note - Just ordered an Ironmind little big horn. Andrew has an anvil that he loads with plates that were in both his contests this year. I lifted it at his novice comp in February but couldn't at nationals when it weighed more. Time to make sure I lift it next year no matter home weight is on it. Still buying the V-bar soon also.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

First day of classes today. I had two classes during the day and I also started working at the school library tonight. In between I squeezed in a bending and wrist workout.

Bending - All done in ironmind pads and double overhand

Two Grade 2 Bolts

One 60D Galvanized Nail

One Grade 5 Bolt

Sledgehammer front weaver stick coin load to platform (Lifting a Sledge parallel to the floor onto a platform while keeping a coin on the head)

6lb sledge = 2 lifts right and 1 lift left while keeping hand all the way to end of handle

6lb sledge = 1 lift right with hand all the way at end and 1 lift left with hand 4 inches forward of handle end.

6lb sledge = 1 lift right with hand all the way at end and 2 lifts left with hand 4 inches forwards of handle end.

Sledgehammer lever to forehead

6lb sledge = 5 reps right and 5 reps left

6lb sledge = 2 sets of 3 reps right and 3 reps left

Supination/pronation with leverage bar

10 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps with each hand

Hit light chest and triceps today. I ended the session by doing high rep rolling thunder work.

Flat Bench Dumbbell Bench Press

61.5 lbs each hand = 10 reps

71.5 lbs each hand = 3 sets of 10 reps

82.5 lbs each hand = 2 sets of 10 reps

- Doing this with plate loaded Olympic DBs is a little awkward since I can't rest them on my knees before leaning back as easily as the fixed weight DBs at the gym. My shoulder is still a little sore so I decided to hold back a little.

Lying Tricep Extensions with an E-Z Curl Bar

55.5 lbs = 10 reps

66.5 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps

1 Arm Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Extensions

22.5lbs = 10 reps each arm

27.5lbs = 10 reps each arm

32.5lbs = 10 reps each arm

Flat Bench Dumbbell Flies

32.5lbs each hand = 3 sets of 10 reps

Rolling Thunder

Warm up

76lbs = 10 reps with each hand

Working

126lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps with each hand

Extensors

IM Blue Band = 3 sets of 20 reps each hand

Note - Probably my last grip workout of the week. I might hit a light leg workout Friday Afternoon. Some guys are coming over Saturday morning for a training session and I want my hands well rested for a long grip session.

What week are you into on the RT work?

This was my first time trying Laine's high rep scheme. Before this, I was training lower reps. My max is 182lbs right now and I'm hoping this routine will get me to 200lbs by the end of the year. I saw you have been using it. Hows it working for you?

i did high rep RT (10, 10, max(16)) last thursday. i also did a high rep (10 rep working set, high for me) deadlift workout on tuesday. my back did not like me late last week. i would have never thought the RT would be that hard on my back but it was a lot of volume. hands felt fine though. i think i will hold off on the high rep RT stuff till the deadlift reps get lower later in this cycle. probably after the 9-29 comp.

anyone else have an experience like this on the RT high rep stuff?

• Like 1

This was my first time trying Laine's high rep scheme. Before this, I was training lower reps. My max is 182lbs right now and I'm hoping this routine will get me to 200lbs by the end of the year. I saw you have been using it. Hows it working for you?

I'm using 165 as my 1RM as I just missed 169 a few weeks ago when I tested to try this stuff. I'm also going 10/12/15 rep sets for M/W/F as long as they're fairly easy.

How are you doing your reps? Full set down and pull or touch-n-go? I've been doing them touch-n-go and usually have no resets with the right and 1-2 with the left which is understandable as it's probably 5-8#'s weaker.

I'm using 165 as my 1RM as I just missed 169 a few weeks ago when I tested to try this stuff. I'm also going 10/12/15 rep sets for M/W/F as long as they're fairly easy.

How are you doing your reps? Full set down and pull or touch-n-go? I've been doing them touch-n-go and usually have no resets with the right and 1-2 with the left which is understandable as it's probably 5-8#'s weaker.

My reps are touch and go. I had to reset quickly about 2 times a set. I wasn't using much chalk because I left my block upstairs and garage is also super hot and humid so the RT was feeling slippery. My left is my stronger hand on the RT by couple pounds.

Edited by Chez

i did high rep RT (10, 10, max(16)) last thursday. i also did a high rep (10 rep working set, high for me) deadlift workout on tuesday. my back did not like me late last week. i would have never thought the RT would be that hard on my back but it was a lot of volume. hands felt fine though. i think i will hold off on the high rep RT stuff till the deadlift reps get lower later in this cycle. probably after the 9-29 comp.

I haven't had any back trouble with the RT yet. I actually chose the RT over axle tonight because my left ankle is acting up. The Axle puts more weight and stress on the ankle. Basketball and deadlifts have made my ankle sore lately. I have been icing it.

My back is substantially stronger than my grip so something like this won't affect it.

I never use chalk with the RT although I am using the older style and not the newest type which I hear works well with chalk.

Bubba, use your legs on the RT, not back. It'll help take heat off the back. We tend to lean over and pick the weight up rather than just pull the weight via legs since it feels so light. After a bunch of reps we notice the poor form.

I am anxious to see how that program works for you guys. Maybe in October i'll switch up my training and try the RT program depending on what you guys experience.

• Like 1

Bubba, use your legs on the RT, not back. It'll help take heat off the back. We tend to lean over and pick the weight up rather than just pull the weight via legs since it feels so light. After a bunch of reps we notice the poor form.

I am anxious to see how that program works for you guys. Maybe in October i'll switch up my training and try the RT program depending on what you guys experience.

i try to keep my upper body upright. i literally grab the handle and squat the weight up. no hip hingeing at all. i am not sure if i was having a rough week but i am doing pinch tomorrow, low rep though. not gonna risk it again right now.

• Like 1

Awesome training session today with 2 other gripboard members. I had John (Wojo) and Nate (anwnate) over to train at the "Chez Hall of Strength Training Facility" (A.K.A. My Garage). It is always a ton of fun training with other gripsters. As always with these sessions, I didn't write everything down since we were moving through events very quickly. I'll hit some highlights.

Grippers: We did an abbreviate session since none of use felt particularly strong on grippers today. I gave my new 179lb rated Thor Elite that I purchased from Ben Edwards a shot and I believe I closed it from an MMS. John said that he was pretty sure it was closed. I'm going to try and record a better attempt later in the week. This was a quick attempt since we weren't serious about grippers today.

Rogue Axle double overhand: Worked up to an easy single with 305lbs and held it at the top. I decided to stop there since. I didn't want to max out on any event today since these sessions are always very long and taxing on the hands.

Euro 2 Hand Pinch: Worked up to a single with 155lbs. Just like the Axle: I decided to hold back and save myself for later events. This is a brand new slick Euro so I need to keep using it so it seasons.

Stronger grip loadable blob: worked up to a single with 41.5 lbs on both hands.

Sledge lever to the forehead: 10lb sledge with each hand. First time attempting this weight. Pretty pleased with that. I just bought this sledge yesterday. Need to keep training this lift.

Front sledge weaver stick coin load (still not a 100% sure of the correct name for this): 6lb sledge with each hand.

Rear sledge weaver stick: 8lb sledge I think just with my right. Left is weak on this event.

IM hub: Don't really remember what I ended up with but high 40's like 47 or 49. Not a great event for me and hands were getting fatigued. I'll keep working to improve this lift.

IM blockbuster 1 hand pinch block: not sure what I ended up with but at least high 60's. John brought this over and I really like this piece of equipment.

IM rolling Thunder: only hit 156. Hands were fried at this point.

That is all I can remember right now. We were lifting for over 2 hours. and then I downed 7 glasses of wine at a lunch that lasted till dinner time :). Good times.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5