Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

thanks fellas. My technique def needs improvement on deadlifts and I'm sure squats as well. It feels awkward for me to get down that low. I'm the most comfortable with bench press right now. I'll keep working hard.

Tonight = 12 oz curls with drop sets. Bascially I'm drinking while watching the basketball game and taking much needed rest :grin: .

• Like 2

Light grippers, little bending and wrist work tonight.

Grippers

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

Working

COC #2 = 8 doubles closed as fast and explosively as possible

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 reps

Working

BBM 5/8" = 8 doubles closed as fast and explosively as possible

Bending - Leather wraps

DO = 1 60D Galvanized Timber Tie

Reverse = 1 60D Galvanized Timber Tie. video below

Lever from floor (done with my home made lever bar)

15 lbs = 8 reps each hand

17.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

Sup/Pron

12.5 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps each hand

Reverse bend:

Note: taking at least 2 days off from grip to fully recover. Not hitting grippers again until my MM3 attempt.

Edited by Chez

nice bend Chez. Time for bigger steel. Also try the front hand as the post hand with the rear hand driving down. I think most get more power that way but it depends on the person. For me I feel I can get on top of the nail that way and use more of the body.

well today was my MM3 cert attempt. I warmed up with light grippers, did push ups, body weight squat, drank monster, sniffed ammonia but could get the last little bit. Here are stills and a video of the attempts. I'll learn from this and use it as fuel to come back stronger.

The set: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=10601

Best Try: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=10602

The stills are all from my first attempt

Attempt 2 went really badly since I messed up the set and attempt 3 was close to as good as attempt 1

Here is the video:

Tomorrow morning my friend is coming over to train. We are going to simulate a grip contest with all the standard event and I'll post a brief summary of how it went. I'm trying to get him and other guys in the area interested in grip. I got 3 more guys who might train with me soon.

• Like 2

Revenge is sweet. MM3 better watch out for it!

• Like 1

Thanks Six Barrel. I am one determine guy so that gripper should be scared.

I had 2 guys over this morning for grip training. I didn't write down all the weights we lifted but I'll summarized what we did.

1) Started with crush by using grippers. Both of these guys closed my COC #1 which I thought was impressive since I have seen lots of guys fail. My buddy that I use to work with Closed the COC #2. He is the only person I seen do it other than myself with minimal training. We used the RBA adjustable for the rest of training since I don't have a lot of low level grippers (I'm going to start and accumulate them so novices have something to use when they train with me). I actually just order a COC #1.5. I didn't go all out on gripper since I just had my MM3 cert attempt yesterday.

2) Next up was 2 hand plate pinch (Ghetto Euro). My friend that I use to work struggled a little with this. The other guy he brought was pretty strong on this and put up some nice numbers. Its really interesting to see people strengths and weaknesses on grip. 1 guy is better on crush while the other is better on pinch.

3) DO deadlift with fat gripz. I matched my PR with lots left in the tank but I decided to save myself and not push it today on any event. Guy I use to work with beat his friend who is better in pinch.

4) Random medley event training. Rolling thunder, 1 hand plate pinch, lots of different levering, ghetto hub, block weights etc.. These guys were close to each other on all these lifts.

5) We ended with some steel bending. The guy I use to work with impressed me here. He bent a 60D timber tie DO and another reverse. The other guys really struggled with form and couldn't bend anything.

Note: Fun day. Both seem interested in grip and said they will be back for more. Slowly building interest in the area. I'm going to try and get more people to come train soon.

• Like 2

Thanks Six Barrel. I am one determine guy so that gripper should be scared.

I had 2 guys over this morning for grip training. I didn't write down all the weights we lifted but I'll summarized what we did.

1) Started with crush by using grippers. Both of these guys closed my COC #1 which I thought was impressive since I have seen lots of guys fail. My buddy that I use to work with Closed the COC #2. He is the only person I seen do it other than myself with minimal training. We used the RBA adjustable for the rest of training since I don't have a lot of low level grippers (I'm going to start and accumulate them so novices have something to use when they train with me). I actually just order a COC #1.5. I didn't go all out on gripper since I just had my MM3 cert attempt yesterday.

2) Next up was 2 hand plate pinch (Ghetto Euro). My friend that I use to work struggled a little with this. The other guy he brought was pretty strong on this and put up some nice numbers. Its really interesting to see people strengths and weaknesses on grip. 1 guy is better on crush while the other is better on pinch.

3) DO deadlift with fat gripz. I matched my PR with lots left in the tank but I decided to save myself and not push it today on any event. Guy I use to work with beat his friend who is better in pinch.

4) Random medley event training. Rolling thunder, 1 hand plate pinch, lots of different levering, ghetto hub, block weights etc.. These guys were close to each other on all these lifts.

5) We ended with some steel bending. The guy I use to work with impressed me here. He bent a 60D timber tie DO and another reverse. The other guys really struggled with form and couldn't bend anything.

Note: Fun day. Both seem interested in grip and said they will be back for more. Slowly building interest in the area. I'm going to try and get more people to come train soon.

Hey Chez, hard luck with the MM3. In a way it could actually be a good thing that you didn't smash it first time out. You've been having so much success of late, strength going through the roof, sometimes a failure allows one to refocus and think about how to train even harder and smarter - meaning even greater gains in future. Seeing how far you've come compared with me in a similar timeframe just shows how well you've been training (and maybe that i could be working harder :tongue too), keep up the great work.

Nevertheless, it always hurts to fail at something, so best of luck with absolutely crushing it next time around and getting your revenge! :)

Edited by patrickmeniru
  • Like 1

well today was my MM3 cert attempt. I warmed up with light grippers, did push ups, body weight squat, drank monster, sniffed ammonia but could get the last little bit. Here are stills and a video of the attempts. I'll learn from this and use it as fuel to come back stronger.

The set: http://www.gripboard...eryℑ=10601

Best Try: http://www.gripboard...eryℑ=10602

The stills are all from my first attempt

Attempt 2 went really badly since I messed up the set and attempt 3 was close to as good as attempt 1

Here is the video:

Tomorrow morning my friend is coming over to train. We are going to simulate a grip contest with all the standard event and I'll post a brief summary of how it went. I'm trying to get him and other guys in the area interested in grip. I got 3 more guys who might train with me soon.

damn....go up to the kids playroom and you will get it

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Pat - I agree 100%. I have been fortunate with gripper training and I think a little adversity will help drive me in training. You have to fail in life in order to succeed. I always admire your workouts. You are in fantastic cardio shape and have great overall fitness.

Chuck - haha, I think your right. Having a high chair and toys around seems to make me squeeze harder.

Hit thick bar and legs tonight.

Rolling Thunder

103.5 lbs = 5 reps with each hand

128.5 lbs = 2 reps with each hand

138.5 lbs = 2 reps with each hand

148.5 lbs = 1 rep with each hand

156 lbs = 1 rep with each hand

161 lbs = 1 rep with each hand

163.5 lbs = 1 rep with each hand

166 lbs = 1 rep left hand, Partial with the right.

168.5 lbs = good lift left (might be a PR. I have to check). Didn't try with the right. Right is always weaker on this lift.

2 and 3/8 inch handled ( pipe sleeve) Dumbbell Deadlift with one hand

114.5 lbs = 1 rep with each hand. Just finding the right weight for reps

102 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps with each hand.

Legs

I rolled my ankle in B ball last week so I can't do squats right now. I didn't multiple sets of leg extensions and hamstring curls. Gotta put deadlifts and squats on hold until this ankle heals.

Note: Next workout is going to be Vulcan V2. I'm making the switch to the Vulcan because I'm going to be competing in world's strongest hands this year. The vulcan is 1 of the 4 events. I have absolutely no experience in the other events. I plan on driving to Jedd's in mid July to test out the other 3 events.

Wow, I'm tired. Went out for drinks and played pool with other interns. Got home late but I trained anyway. Short sessions with the Vulcan and some bending.

Vulcan

Right Hand

Warm up

L 3 = 8 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 9 = 1 rep

L 12 = 1 rep

Working

Singles - 20 MM block set (used an RB gripper handle)

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

L 16 = good

L 17 = good. Easy money. Slow hydraulic close. Hoping for at least this at WSH, but I would love to get L 18. L 18 is a big jump though from L 17.

Doubles - parallel set

L 12 = good

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

Left Hand

Warm Up

L 3 = 8 reps

L 6 = 3 reps

L 8 = 1 rep

L 11 = 1 rep

Working

Singles - 20 MM block set (RB gripper handle)

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

L 15 = good

L 16 = Fail. Left hand feeling weak tonight

Doubles - parallel set

L 11 = good

L 12 = good

L 13 = good

L 14 = good

Bending - used IM wraps

Double Overhand = 2 60D galvanized nails (not timber ties. I just picked these up from home depot).

Note: I did chest and tries on my machine at home last night. I'm waiting for my ankle to heal before I really start the power lifting program. Next workout is going to be pinch. I gotta figure out a way to simulate the stub lift. I might use a loading pin and pinch it by the loading hole on top. Not perfect but better than nothing.

Edited by Chez

the stub is 5/16" stock that is 3/4" long. Take 5/16" CRS stock from Lowes/ Home Depot, shove it through a wooden block then hammer the other side of it to lock it down. Boom.

Edit: Might have to heat the bottom end of the stock to soften it so you can hammer it down into the block.

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 1

Thanks for the specs Daniel. I'll see what I can whip up this weekend.

Passed out after dinner so I did a late night training session since I can't sleep now. Trained pinch.

Ghetto Stub (Bent the bottom of a FBBC bastard and hooked it to a loading pin and then marked off 3/4" with tape. Key pinch above the tape line. Picture below)

- weights only include plate and not include the loading pin and clip

10 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

15 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

18 lbs = 1 lift each hand

20 lbs = 1 lift each hand

22. 5 lbs = 1 lift each hand

25.5 lbs = 1 lift each hand

27.5 lbs = 1 lift each hand

30 lbs = 1 lift right and fail left

32.5 lbs = 1 lift right. didn't try left

35 lbs = 1 lift right. didn't try left

- Right hand had a little more in the tank. Right is much stronger than left on this lift.

Loadable Blob

26.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

29.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

32.5 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

35 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

Key Pinch on Vulcan Thumbscrews

1 Red and 1 Blue IM band = 10 reps each hand

2 Red IM bands = 10 reps each hand

1 Red and 1 Blue IM band = 10 reps each hand

1 Red, 1 Blue and 1 white IM band = 10 reps each hand

1 Hand Pinch Vulcan Thumbscrews

2 Red and 1 green IM band = 5 reps each hand

2 Red and 1 green IM band = 5 reps each hand

Extensors

IM Blue Band = 4 sets of 20 reps on each hand.

Ghetto Stub:

Ghetto Stub

Tried to train legs today, but my ankle is still messed up. It felt good in the morning so I gave it a shot. As soon as I started to get to 275 on squats it started to bother me. I hit 315 for a single and then just quit to avoid injury. Oh well. I need to rest another week. It feels a lot better than it did. I decided to salvage the day and did some bending. I don't have a wrist developer which is an event in WSH so I did some reverse bends.

Bending - some in IM pads and some in leather wraps. I lost track.

Reverse - 6 Grade 2 bolts. All bent near 90 degrees

Brought my fat gripz to the gym for thick bar work. My ankle felt really good today but I decided to avoid thick bar deadlifts because my ankle felt great the morning of squat day also until I put too much stress on it and it hurt like hell yesterday.

Lat Pulldowns with Fat Gripz

100 lbs = 10 reps

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

170 lbs = 10 reps

180 lbs = 8 reps. New High on this exercise. Wasn't going to try it at first but I decided to take off my training bra and man up.

1 Arm bent over Dumbbell row with Fat gripz (DB handles spread the fat gripz probably to around 2.5 inches)

70 lbs = 10 reps each hand

I finished with hyper-extensions, dumbbell preacher curls and machine hammer preacher curls to finish up the workout.

Note: Just got the IM silver bullet in the mail. Tomorrow is crush day anyway so I'm going to see how I do with a #3 and 5.5lbs attached. Endurance events usually aren't my strong suit but should be fun anyway.

Light Grippers, Bending and wrist work today. Tired the silver bullet for the first time today. Tough event!

Grippers

Right Hand

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #1.5 = 3 reps (new gripper. trying to season it before rating).

COC #2 = 2 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

COC #3 = 1 rep

Silver Bullet hold for time, used my rated 149.2 COC #3 with 5.5 lbs = Got 25 seconds. I'm going to work hard and try and post a 30+ second hold soon. Video below

Left Hand

COC #1 = 8 reps

COC #1.5 = 3 reps

COC #2 = 2 reps

COC #2.5 = 1 rep

COC #3 = 1 rep

Bending - Ironmind Pads

Reverse - 3 Grade 2 bolts

Reverse - 1 60D galvanized nail (PR) - See video below of 1 Grade 2 and the 60D reverse bends

Levering (Forearm on table 90 degrees to the floor)

10 lbs = 10 reps each hand

13 lbs = 2 sets of 10 reps each hand

Vulcan V2 - light rep work

Level 9 = 3 sets of 5 reps each hand

Extensors

IM Blue Band = 4 sets of 20 reps each hand

Pinch training tonight.

Ghetto Stub

Weight listed is just the plates and not loading pin etc.

17.5 lbs = 5 lifts each hand

20 lbs = 3 lifts each hand

25.5 lbs = 2 lifts each hand

28.5 lbs = 1 lift each hand

30.5 lbs = 1 lift each hand. Left is doing better tonight

33 lbs = 1 lift right. Air with the left

36 lbs = 1 lift right. Pass left

39 lbs = Might have gotten it right (not sure if I lifted high enough). Pass left

39 lbs = Good Right! 4 lb improvement over last workout. Pass left

40.25 lbs = Float Right. Pass left

2 Hand plate pinch

102.5 lbs = 5 lifts no problems

122.5 lbs = 5 lifts

137.5 lbs = 5 lifts. Trying to take the advice I received and go for reps and stay away from maxing every pinch workout. Maxing with the stub because I'm feeling out where I'm at.

Vulcan thumbscrew Key pinch

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 10 reps each hand

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 6 reps each hand

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 8 reps each hand

1 hand pinch vulcan thumbscrews

2 Red IM bands on top notches = 10 reps each hand

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top = 8 reps each hand

2 Red and 1 white IM band on top = 8 reps each hand

Extensors - doing these a lot to make sure I don't get tendinitis again.

Red IM band = 5 sets of 20 reps on each hand

Note: no grip tomorrow. Saturday morning the 2 guys from last time might pop by to train thick bar. If the weather is nice, I'm thinking about doing thick handled farmer's walks. Gotta keep training interesting.

Man I'm tired. I trained grip for 2 hours in the morning and then had a family party where I performed several grip feats for family members. I was gripping and bending all day. Tomorrow I'm doing nothing grip related to recover. I didn't write everything down but hes a quick summary.

We started with thick bar deadlifts for moderate reps of 8-10 per set. Next we did thick handled DB deadlifts. moved to some block weights. Did some grippers (both TSG and vulcan V2). Did a little silver bullet. A little getto stub training. At the family party I repeated a lot of this stuff and bent several pieces of steel. Bending felt great. i felt very strong on steel bending today. Everything felt very easy. I'm probably forgetting some stuff but it was a lot with little rest in between so I wouldn't be surprise if I forgot some stuff. My garage was a 1000 degrees so I was sweating like a pig. Drank lots of wine during the party to recover :). Good times. My new goal is to get another guy interested in the next couple weeks. I'm working hard to get things going in this area.

• Like 2

Man I'm tired. I trained grip for 2 hours in the morning and then had a family party where I performed several grip feats for family members. I was gripping and bending all day. Tomorrow I'm doing nothing grip related to recover. I didn't write everything down but hes a quick summary.

We started with thick bar deadlifts for moderate reps of 8-10 per set. Next we did thick handled DB deadlifts. moved to some block weights. Did some grippers (both TSG and vulcan V2). Did a little silver bullet. A little getto stub training. At the family party I repeated a lot of this stuff and bent several pieces of steel. Bending felt great. i felt very strong on steel bending today. Everything felt very easy. I'm probably forgetting some stuff but it was a lot with little rest in between so I wouldn't be surprise if I forgot some stuff. My garage was a 1000 degrees so I was sweating like a pig. Drank lots of wine during the party to recover :). Good times. My new goal is to get another guy interested in the next couple weeks. I'm working hard to get things going in this area.

to be honest, i feel that this type of scenario is the BEST training. i have actually done very little specific training (per say). im typically put on the spot to perform feats by random friends of friends, type thing. and end up bending and repeatedly closing grippers, popping cans, phone books, etc. till im blue in the face..

haha, so i feel for ya bro! i know how those days go.. fun, but a definate beat down of the hands.

Tiring but so much fun. It was good endurance training for comps.

started my strength program today. My ankle is still only 80% so I'm going to go lighter than the program calls for during squat and dead lifts.

Bench Press

warm up

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

225 lbs = 5 reps

230 lbs = 5 reps

230 lbs = 5 reps

175 lbs = 8 reps

Squats

warm up

135 lbs = 10 reps

185 lbs = 5 reps

Working

225 lbs = 3 sets of 5 reps

185 lbs = 8 reps

- no problems with the ankle at this low weight. I'll increase it next time. I was focusing on form and getting nice and low.

Chin ups

I did these at home on my pull up bar. I'm not made for this exercise. 255 lb body weight and a 6'7" arm span don't help. I'm going to have to start by doing these on the assisted machine at the gym.

14 totals reps. Did this in more than 1 set :grin: .

Yeah that's something different eh haha! I know how it feels, I never seem to get good in pullups. Chins are better for me, but still. Nice work on the bench and squats, pretty decent number already! Since I have that backinjury, I'm doing legextensions and legpresses (one leg at a time) and stopped doing squats and deads for a while. And you know what the first two mentioned excercises already built more mass in my legs than squats and deads. Go figure.

Yeah that's something different eh haha! I know how it feels, I never seem to get good in pullups. Chins are better for me, but still. Nice work on the bench and squats, pretty decent number already! Since I have that backinjury, I'm doing legextensions and legpresses (one leg at a time) and stopped doing squats and deads for a while. And you know what the first two mentioned excercises already built more mass in my legs than squats and deads. Go figure.

ya, chin ups and pull ups are not easy for big guys. I need to drop about 15 lbs anyway so during my off days from lifting I'm going to do some form of cardio. I was doing leg extensions and leg presses for a while but squats hit the legs in a totally different way. My ass is super sore from squats haha.

ya, chin ups and pull ups are not easy for big guys. I need to drop about 15 lbs anyway so during my off days from lifting I'm going to do some form of cardio. I was doing leg extensions and leg presses for a while but squats hit the legs in a totally different way. My ass is super sore from squats haha.

Yeah..squats tend to do that hahaha Went to my physical therapist today, had to lie down and on my side, let me pull one leg up and than when I exhaled, suddenly pushed and pulled at once...- pop pop pop pop pop - did my back! Tsjeez...feeling a lot better now. Next monday one more time, from time to time, everyone who's into lifting should do that...our bones and backs have a lot to endure during training. After my holidays it's back to deadlifting again!

I have a little experience with pull-ups, although I weigh a fair bit less at about 200lbs, my arm-span is very similar to yours. Essentially, in my opinion the best way to go is to try and get into a routine where you do a few each day, with a mix of supinated, pronated, narrow and wide grips. Then gradually build up the numbers. The way I did it was every time I got home from school and put my bike away, I would do 10 pull-ups and 10 chins on my swing. Obviously I worked up to that gradually, starting with sets of 5 (i've always had pretty decent pulling strength).

The great thing about pull-ups/chins is that they take forever to get easy, you can keep making them more difficult by working towards perfect form (as described by Coach Sommer) - not many people can do 10 shoulders to bar reps with a hollow body, no kip and a 2 second up, 2 second down rhythm. I find it helpful to do a mix of explosive reps and slow controlled ones.

Word of warning though, if you do decide to try and up your chins/pull-ups, make sure you take care of your elbows. After starting on my current calisthenics programme, my elbows got really sore to begin with from volume pull-ups and muscle ups.

Pretty long post given that it was a bit of an aside, but seeing as Mike hasn't been active since ending his log, I guess I'm shooting for the vacant role of resident calisthenics expert lol! :laugh

• Like 1