Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Way to go man.....lots of great efforts! It's also good to hear that you're looking to do your first powerlifting comp! Talk about adrenaline....

Dang if you got it half way up you were right at the 199s door. Sorry you missed it. I know the felling.

I have missed big jumps and then backed off (unofficial) like a pound and got it.

I bet if you had that jet and didn’t waste energy driving you would have gotten it. Also You may consider a helicopter because repelling down from a helicopter to a grip comp would be super awesome!

i believe that is how Andrew arrived to his own gym. Thus his great performance.

i commend guys like chez for making the trip despite work and distance being such obstacles. great job.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen. Definitely class people in the grip community. Back to training tonight. Light explosive grippers, bending and wrist work, and extensors.

Light grippers (I gave Chris Rice 15 of my grippers to rate which included all my low level grippers so I'm using my Robert Baraban adjustable tonight)

RBA

Right Hand

Warm up

Hard Spring 2-2 = 10 reps

Working

Hard 1-1 Weak 5-6 = 8 doubles as fast and explosive as possible

Left Hand

Warm up

Hard Spring 2-2 = 10 reps

Working

Hard 1-1 Weak 5-5 = 8 doubles as fast and explosive as possible

Bending

DO leather wraps = 2 60D galvanized timber ties

Reverse leather wraps = 2 60D galvanized timber ties. First time trying reverse. Both bent past 40 degrees.

Wrist Work

Sup/pron

10 lbs = 10 reps for 2 sets on both hands

Lever bar weaver to rear lift

17.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

15 lbs = 5 reps each hand

lever bar load to bed with weight collar balanced on top

12.5 lbs = 5 reps for 2 sets each hand

Extensor Work

IM bands

Gold Band = 20 reps for 2 sets each hand

Blue Band = 20 reps for 2 sets each hand

Red Band = 20 reps for 1 set each hand

Note: I'm going to test my 5 rep max on bench next workout since the Power lifting routines I have found are based on a percentage of a person's 5 rep max.

Hit the weight room at school tonight. I did Chest and tris. The power lifting routine that I'm going to follow is based on working sets of 90% of my 5 rep max on the 3 main disciplines (Bench, Deadlift and squat). I decided to follow my normal body building routine this week but test my 5 rep max for these lifts at the start of my sessions so I can start with the right numbers next week.

Bench Press

I warmed up and worked my way up to an easy set of 5 reps with 245lbs. I haven't free weight benched in a while since I don't have a lifting partner. Been doing the smith machine and dumbbells and circuit machine benches. The weight was fairly easy just shaky since I need to get use to the bench again. Stabilizer muscles get neglected when using a smith machine. My all time high was 1 rep with 315 under a body building routine totally controlled and touching my chest. I'll round to 250 for my 5 rep max since 245 was no problem. I didn't feel like pushing to failure tonight since the guy spotting didn't seem like he knew what he was doing. I went on to finish my chest and tricep workout like I normally do under a body building routine.

Note: No grip tonight. I'll train pinch next workout and take the advice I heard at nationals by lowering the weight and increasing the reps.

Cool stuff Chez. I'm not maxing out either on benchwork, I'm training alone and I don't have safetybars that work well/that are of the proper height. Having a good spotter that helps unracking and stuff definitely helps when doing a all out ballbusting 1RM.

Thanks fellas. Kevin = I'm doing the starting strength advanced program, but the body builder variation (gotta stick to my roots and I like having the beach muscles :)). Geralt = Having a training partner that you know well makes a huge difference. My best training partner is my friend from high school but he moved down south and I have gone through several guys since. being in law school doesn't help either. The typical law student isn't into strength training.

Thanks fellas. Kevin = I'm doing the starting strength advanced program, but the body builder variation (gotta stick to my roots and I like having the beach muscles :)).

That's great; you'll see lots of progress!

• Like 1

Hit some pinch tonight.

2 Hand Plate Pinch (Ghetto Euro)

70 lbs = 5 reps

102.5 lbs = 5 reps

122.5 lbs = 3 reps

137.5 lbs = 3 reps

142.5 = 3 reps

Loadable Blob

16.5 lbs = 5 reps each hand

26.5 lbs = 3 reps each hand

34 lbs = 3 reps each hand

Ghetto Shallow Hub (1 1/4 lb plate as hub surface)

26.25 lbs = 2 sets of 3 reps with each hand

1 Hand Pinch with Vulcan V2 thumbscrews

2 Red and 1 Green IM bands on top notches = 3 sets of 5 reps on each hand

Extensors

Gold IM band = 20 reps on each hand

Blue IM band = 2 sets of 20 reps on each hand

Note: Chris Rice rated the rest of my grippers. Here are all my grippers and their RGC rating:

1) COC #1 = 83.3

2) BBM 5/8” = 101.5

3) COC #2 = 112.7

4) GNC 200 = 126.45

5) COC #2.5 = 133.4

6) RB 240 = 136.5

7) GNC 250 = 142.2

8) GHP 7 = 147.2

9) Original COC #3 = 149.2

10) BBGM = 152.7

11) Certification COC #3 = 153.0

12) GNC 300 = 156.5

13) RB 330 N = 159.6

14) BBE = 165.3

15) BBE 5/8" = 173.15

16) GHP 8 = 174.6

17) COC # 3.5 = 179.7

18) RB 365N = 181.6

19) RB 330 = 182.3

20) MM3 Replica = 185.8

21) BBSE = 194.45

22) COC #4 = 202.8

23) COC #4 = 214.7

24) COC #4 = 217.9

Tomorrow I'm going to train back and biceps at the gym and test my 5 rep deadlift max. That should be interesting.

Where did the #4 that I sold you rate? I had no idea that you have three #4s!

haha. My goal is to eventually run a competition in NY so I'm stocking up on grippers and getting them rated. Plus it great for training for certs and competitions. The #4 I got from you was the one that came in at 214.7. I Really need a 169-171 and 189-191 so if you see those, send me a PM. I just missed a 169 #3.5 being sold by cannon because I was driving home from nationals. That one would have been perfect.

Tomorrow I'm going to train back and biceps at the gym and test my 5 rep deadlift max. That should be interesting.

Curious what numbers you got Cesare.

Cheers budy!

Curious what numbers you got Cesare.

Cheers budy!

Change of plans. Dynamic grip and wrist training today: Took a hammer and chisel and knocked out tiles in my basement. We knocked out a wall to open the space up and we are going to put down different tile later. My hands, wrist and back are fried. Going to postpone the deadlifts till tomorrow.

Edited by Chez

Hey Chez, does your GHP 7 at 147# feel easier/harder than your original #3 at 149#? The reason I ask is my GHP 6 at 134# "feels" way harder than 134, maybe due to the 3 inch spread. And, I am looking for a tsg to bridge 143-150, and wonder if I should try a GHP 7. The advice I have received so far is to try a BBGM (I have already tried two of them and gotten 140 and 150).

(I have already tried two of them and gotten 140 and 150).

Those are the exact poundages I got for my two BBGM's also. I would go for the 7 if you're looking for 150. It's an awesome gripper.

Hey Chez, does your GHP 7 at 147# feel easier/harder than your original #3 at 149#? The reason I ask is my GHP 6 at 134# "feels" way harder than 134, maybe due to the 3 inch spread. And, I am looking for a tsg to bridge 143-150, and wonder if I should try a GHP 7. The advice I have received so far is to try a BBGM (I have already tried two of them and gotten 140 and 150).

My Ghp 7 is definately easier than my original #3. Rgc ratings are great but they don't tell the entire story. Different grippers have a different feel. I think the set and sweep on bb grippers is easier than cocs for example. That makes a big difference to me since I don't waste a ton of energy on the set and I can get my fingers in the sweet spot. Spread also makes a big difference. If you don't own a Ghp 7, I highly recommend them. They are fantastic and very smooth. My bbgm felt easier then my original #3, yet has a higher rgc rating. The reason is that it's easier to set. I hope that makes sense. You should have grippers from all the top brands if you really want to be good at them. I have heard that ghps feel harder than their rating. My Ghp 8 feels harder than its rating also. I dominated a 175 BBE in comp twice now and yet have gotten my Ghp 8 with a 20 mm block set once in training before my arm starting acting up.

Edited by Chez

Thanks Chez, some good detailed advice there.

Tommy, the 143 lber is a BBSM 5/8, just like you were thinking of!

crazy weekend. celebrated my anniversary with my girl in the city last night and family BBQ for father's day today. Hit heavier gripper day and some bending.

Grippers

Right Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

BBGM = 1 MMS rep

Working

165.3 lb rate BBE = 4 singles and each one followed with a 5 second over crush.

159.6 lb rated RB 330N = 2 singles and each one followed with a 5 second over crush.

Left Hand

Warm up

COC #1 = 10 parallel reps

COC #2 = 3 parallel reps

COC #2.5 = 1 MMS rep

GNC 250 = 1 MMS rep

Working

156.5 lb rated GNC 300 = 3 singles and each one followed with a 5 second over crush

153 lb rated COC #3 = 3 singles and each one followed with a 5 second over crush

Bending - All done with leather wraps

Reverse = 2 60D galvanized timber ties. Both well past 40 degrees. one was close to 90 degrees.

Double overhand = 3 60D galvanized timber ties.

Extensors

Blue IM Band = 3 sets of 20 reps on each hand.

Note: tomorrow I put on a suit and fake being interested and professional. I'll try and get to the gym at night and test my 5 rep DL max. Thinking about it will help me get through the day.

Really tired today. Forced myself into the gym. Downed an amp energy as soon as I got there. Deadlifts and thick bar work tonight

Deadlifts.

I haven't done these in a while. Always worried about my back. Worked my way up to 365lbs for 2 reps and then went back down and did 315 lbs for 5 reps. Good enough for just starting out.

Lat pull downs with fat gripz

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

170 lbs = 10 reps

Seated pulley rows with fat gripz

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

170 lbs = 10 reps

Note: tomorrow taking the day off to rest my body. bang up lately. Next workout will be light grippers and wrist work. I ran into a guy I played b ball with at the gym and introduced him to grip. He sounded interest. I'll see if he wants to train some time. I'm trying to get interest started in my area so I can eventually run a comp once I get more equipment and experience.

Thanks Tommy. I need to step my game up in the other areas of grip. I enjoy grippers but I have a lot of catching up to do in pinch and thick bar. Adam and Andrew were putting up crazy numbers at nationals. Its going to be fun killing myself training for next year now that I know more about the other areas of grip :)

Really tired today. Forced myself into the gym. Downed an amp energy as soon as I got there. Deadlifts and thick bar work tonight

Deadlifts.

I haven't done these in a while. Always worried about my back. Worked my way up to 365lbs for 2 reps and then went back down and did 315 lbs for 5 reps. Good enough for just starting out.

Lat pull downs with fat gripz

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

170 lbs = 10 reps

Seated pulley rows with fat gripz

150 lbs = 10 reps

160 lbs = 10 reps

170 lbs = 10 reps

Note: tomorrow taking the day off to rest my body. bang up lately. Next workout will be light grippers and wrist work. I ran into a guy I played b ball with at the gym and introduced him to grip. He sounded interest. I'll see if he wants to train some time. I'm trying to get interest started in my area so I can eventually run a comp once I get more equipment and experience.

nice job on the deadlift. if you are just starting out with it, read a lot about it. try learn from some experienced guys (thereare many on here). it is a great all around exercise when done correctly. then again, i am sure you know this. with your big frame, it's just a matter of time till you start blowing us little guys out of the water.

For sho deadlifts always seem to be a technical journey. Constantly tweaking technique for optimumness and even as I get better, the body is always changing so the technique must too. They are by far my favorite lift. You'll be nailing huge numbers once you get in a technical groove. The strength is there.