Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

No he couldn't pee, I had to put a catheter in his penis and leave it there so he could go to urology the next day!

Of course. Lol.

Squat

412x5

351x5 (no belt)

351x6 (no belt)

Bench

263x5 (back to where I was pre-injury, and I'm using a much less favorable grip for leverage-so I'm pleased)

237x8

Overhead Press

136x8

45 Plate Hammer Curls

X20 per hand

Tons of big movements in this workout, are you trying a new workout regimen?

• Like 1

Nice DLing, Eric.

Thanks, Morgan!

Squat

412x5

351x5 (no belt)

351x6 (no belt)

Bench

263x5 (back to where I was pre-injury, and I'm using a much less favorable grip for leverage-so I'm pleased)

237x8

Overhead Press

136x8

45 Plate Hammer Curls

X20 per hand

Tons of big movements in this workout, are you trying a new workout regimen?

Yes and no. Really any workout can become a new "regimen" for me. I normally only make a very rough sketch of the upcoming workout, and will often wait til the day of to make a final decision. Sometimes I decide what's next after my last set. Having to follow a routine on paper would drive me nuts! Too much like being back in school!

The bulk of this particular workout I just made up on the spot. Sort of like walking through the all-you-can-eat buffet line and picking out dishes as you go. I actually do put a lot of thought into it, I just know better than to attempt it too far in advance. For me, everything predicates on something else: mood, strength and energy level, immediate goals, how the last workout or set went, etc.

• Like 1

Deadlift

468x9

Rows

292x6

300x5

Stiff Leg Deads

346x8 (no belt)

Shrugs

527x10

Temp 102. Heat Index 106. Nice.

Squat
452x3 (almost as strong as my peak back in '96 when I squatted 605 in a single ply suit)
335x8 (no belt)

High Bar Squat
227x5

Bench
269x5 (now as strong as I've ever been post-pec tear of '99, which was never repaired)

237x8

Overhead Press
157x3

Curls
111x12

Body weight 220

• Like 1

Nice! What fed were you in back then?

Nice! What fed were you in back then?

I started with the USPF (only federation in 1982), and then the ADFPA started offering a drug-free alternative so I quit the USPF. Of course the ADFPA is now the USAPL At the ADFPA meet in 1996 where I squatted that 605 and was called on depth with 620, I benched 340 (no shirt), and got a 670 deadlift above my knees before stalling out. That was my strongest ever. I weighed in at 220, but was allowed to weigh-in the night before (huge advantage). I was walking around at 228 normally. So raw at that meet I would have been good for 510, 340, and 645. The bench I may never again match, due to the pec tear, but the squat I know I can exceed, and the deadlift, well it will be close.

Nice comeback!

Thank you! I've actually surprised myself with my progress. All I needed was a tangible goal, I guess.

• Like 2

Amazing progress Eric!

How do you it? Looking at your log your program seems to be very minimalistic.

Thank you, Royz!

I think my minimalist personality carries over to my training. I guess what I lack in volume I make up for with good quality high intensity sets. But I still need to closely monitor myself with short little cycles of varying reps so as not to over-train and burn out.

I've always loved that about this log. 4 exercises. 5 total sets. Still making great progress.

Freaking awesome.

• Like 2

I've always loved that about this log. 4 exercises. 5 total sets. Still making great progress.

Freaking awesome.

Appreciate ya, Frank!

Deadlift441x7 (no belt)

4.5" Deficit Deads

385x2x5

Rows

266x12

Shrugs

444x20

Body weight 222

• Like 3

Squat

385x2x7

High Bar Squat

245x5 (no belt)

Bench

253x2x7

Close Grip Bench

217x5

Barbell Curl

136x7

Body weight 221

• Like 1

I see that the BW is up 6-7lbs, and your training has been spot on!

Yes, thank you! I've had to visit Target a couple times to upsize my clothing.

Deadlift

491x6

Deadlift from 2 1/4" Deficit

406x5 (no belt)

Rows

305x2x5

Shrugs

534x10

Body weight 218

• Like 3

Squat

406x6

356x8

High Bar

266x5 (no belt)

Bench

263x6

237x9

Close Grip

222x5

Curl Bar

142x2x7

• Like 2

Nice repping on those squats and those are some damn good curl numbers!

Nice repping on those squats and those are some damn good curl numbers!

Thanks!

Shoulder felt only slightly wonky today, so:

Overhead Press

153x2x3

158x3

Did my pinch block wrist curls as usual (must always be prepared for the spontaneous arm wrestle challenge that never happens, unless Tommy shows up). A couple sets of no-set grippers, as usual, also.

Woke up with a bad headache in the back of my skull extending down into my neck. I get like two headaches per decade. So, I did some weighted neck curls for a set of 30 and the pain was gone. Probably psychosomatic, but it worked! I think 90% of training success is psychosomatic!

• Like 2

Lower back feeling beat up and couldn't even clear the floor with what was going to be a big triple, so I dropped the weight down.

Deadlift

426x4x5

Dumbbell Rows

184x2x10

Shrugs

476x15

• Like 2

Lower back feeling beat up and couldn't even clear the floor with what was going to be a big triple, so I dropped the weight down.

Deadlift

426x4x5

Dumbbell Rows

184x2x10

Shrugs

476x15

That's a heavy ass dumbbell!!

Deadlift

426x4x5

Dumbbell Rows

184x2x10

Shrugs

476x15

That's a heavy ass dumbbell!!

That's my loadable olympic dumbbell loaded with 35's, so the range isn't quite what it would be with standard size dumbbells, although I do plan to go up quite a bit in weight over the next several sessions. My brachioradialis muscles are fried. Dumbbells must hit them in an entirely different way than the barbell rows I've been doing since Fall. I never noticed this before, because dumbbell rows were always a staple lift of mine and I never got a chance to experience them after an extended layoff. And thanks, Jason!