Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

Congratulations, being a Dad is great.

Congratulations, John!

Congrats John! It will change your life.

Thanks guys. It was a shock to me and my wife when it happened but it was a well worth the shock.

• Like 2

Big congrats, John! I meant to tell you earlier via PM. My wife and I were always vehemently anti-child. Not that we didn't like children. We just wanted to be able to give them away at the end of the visit with family and friends. I always heard platitudes about how great it was to have a child. And to be honest, I always thought it sounded like a crock. But I was so wrong. It has been amazing. My wife was 40 when she had Tiny Overlord (Josephine). I was 38. So it changed my world more dramatically than it would've if I had been 18. Or 28. But I wouldn't have it any other way. You are going to have so much fun!!! I love buying her gifts that are the antithesis of what I should be buying a toddler. Like novelty baseball bats. And tiny kettlebells. :grin:

• Like 4

Big congrats, John! I meant to tell you earlier via PM. My wife and I were always vehemently anti-child. Not that we didn't like children. We just wanted to be able to give them away at the end of the visit with family and friends. I always heard platitudes about how great it was to have a child. And to be honest, I always thought it sounded like a crock. But I was so wrong. It has been amazing. My wife was 40 when she had Tiny Overlord (Josephine). I was 38. So it changed my world more dramatically than it would've if I had been 18. Or 28. But I wouldn't have it any other way. You are going to have so much fun!!! I love buying her gifts that are the antithesis of what I should be buying a toddler. Like novelty baseball bats. And tiny kettlebells. :grin:

Thanks Ben. It's going to different for me since I had the same attitude about kids. My wife has helped change me as a person since we been together. Things will change but for the better.

• Like 4

Congrats!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been recovering from sickness and a crazy weekend from last week. Workout wasn't great, really sucked at grippers tonight, thinking about cutting them out for a while and focusing on anvil/thick bar strength. Did get 3 pr's on the euro; have to refigure what I'll be doing for GSD.

11/05/2015

RW: 4x3-5 - GHP7

Euro: 184.1x1/194.6x1/200x1 (first time hitting anything beyond 180lbs)

Wrist Roller: 3x1 - rolled all the way up, forwards/reverse

• 3 weeks later...

Going to update this log again. Not including any other moments besides grip here from this point on. Euro is set to 58mm, lifted 2 hand.

The axle and euro are figured out to the exact percentage of where I need to work at currently.

11/10/2015

Axle lift: 4x3 - 141.7

Euro: 4x3 - 142.9

Wrist Roller: 3x10 - 97.2, F/R

11/14/2015

Euro: 4x1 - 160.2

Axle: 228.5x2...300.9x2x2 (attempted to find my current max so I can figure out the percentage I'm at)

11/19/2015

Axle: 214.4x3x3x3x3

Euro: 154.5x3x2x2x2x2

TTK: 3x5 seconds - 37.9, one hand

Wrist Roller: 67.4x10x10x10 - F....67.4x20x31x30 - R

11/21/2015

Axle: 4x5 seconds - 249.7

Euro: 3x5 seconds...3x3 seconds - 174.8

TTK: 3x10 seconds - 49.2, 2 hands

Pony Clamp: 4x10 seconds - Ring/Pinkie finger

Wrist Roller: 72.3x10x10x10x10 - F....72.3x30x30x10x10 - R

Extensors: 8x10 seconds - blue band, red band.

Getting my arm looked at to figure out what is going on with it...finally.

• Like 1

11/28/2015 workout

(weights/reps)

Axle: 228.5x3x3x3x3

Euro: 152x3x3x3/203.7x0/192.7x1

TTK: 48.2x20x20x30

Wrist Roller: 29.6x7 - F/R

Really good night for both thick bar and euro. Was surprised at how easy the euro felt tonight when it came up. On thick bar I played around with the stances; switching from conventional to sumo, which felt really great (never trained it much but I might now).

11/30/2015 Grip work

Axle: 6x5 seconds - 257.4 lbs (3 conventional, 3 sumo)

Euro: 2x1...1x5 seconds - 180 lbs

Wrist Roller: 3x5 - 76.1 lbs, F/R

• 2 weeks later...

Started working on the v-bar lift. Different and feels weird to me. I put together a homemade version the other day to give me a feel for what's coming next month at the S.S. contest. I should mention this is only the second time I've ever lifted a "v-bar". It's just not a tool I would have never approached before; I'm not going to really get serious with it and maybe only hit it once a week. Right now I'm only playing with it. Again, I'm not being serious about this movement at the current time.

Also, it was deload week for the 2HP on the euro. Okay, enough talking here's the results of the grip portion of the workout.

12/14/2015 (everything is considered lifted unless noted)

V-bar: 226.1x1/235.7x1/280.1x0

2H euro: 109.6x3x3x3

• 8 months later...

Long time since updating the old log. Had a daughter couple months back. Training stopped for a little time; need to just shut up and get my butt in gear again. Right now I'm only focusing on grippers (not to interested at the moment, may consider this the last cycle for hand grippers and call it quits on them), 2.5" RB rolling handle or a Rolling Thunder handle, one hand pinch, Tips Tester and Anvil trainer, using my program to track my progress on all of these movements. Doing the same thing for normal lifts with a focus on using my program 2 times a week and one day using H.I.T.

9/12/2016 Grip work)

Atom Gripz 3 Band: 4x3
O.H.P. Flask: 79.5#x10/10/10/5 seconds
O.H. Tips Tester: 105.3#X3/3/3/3/3
Barbell Wrist Curl: 96.69#x10/152.99#x5x5x5 (F/R)

9/13/2016 Grip Work)

Little Big Horn: 129.52#x5/5/5/5 seconds
Rolling Thunder: 159.86#x5/5/5/5 seconds

• Like 3

No workout tonight just sharing some thoughts.

The day has come where I have made the decision to move away from hand grippers and sold my collection off except two grip machines and adjustable gripper I'm keeping for personal reasons. There's reasons to train grippers but if it's not based around certifying or reaching a specific goal, you're wasting your time. Time to focus on more specific related goals.

John,

wow.  I am sure this was a hard decision and i wish you luck with your new training goals... Out of curiosity, will you still keep a public Training Log?  

Congrats on the addition to your family.

19 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

John,

wow.  I am sure this was a hard decision and i wish you luck with your new training goals... Out of curiosity, will you still keep a public Training Log?  

Congrats on the addition to your family.

It wasn't really a hard decision for me. I've been training hand grippers for 9 years and done everything I will ever need to do. I've certified on all the grippers I could ever want (MM0-4 right hand, MM1 Left hand, COC#3, FBBC Hard, GHP7), reached my physical limits by finally closing a gripper rated over 200lb. I've put thousands of reps down on certain grippers and I really have nothing left to prove to myself in that regard. Will I be sad giving that up? Nope. I'm sure I'll use the grip machines and adjustable from time to time to get the clicks out when I feel the urge.

I'm still going to train grip but with a focus on thick bar, anvil training, and, without question pinch. The log is still going to remain alive; hopefully life doesn't get in the way.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Doing 5/3/1 currently to change things up. Been doing small amounts of walking everyday. Mostly been wore out from taking care of my daughter. Refigured current training maxes for what I'm going for. Not going to include warm ups in the log. 

9/30/2016, current BW @ 240lbs

Squat: 164x5/209x5/231x7
Military Press: 94x5/105x5/118x5 (shoulder felt funny and called it on the last set)
Dips: 3x3/10/6
Barbell Curl: 97.69x10
OH Flask: 57x5/67x5/78x5
OH Tips Tester: 100x5/115x5/131x5 (still trying to figure out the right way to grip this item)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Didn't mean to let the blog die; depression really brought me down (always happens around this time of year). I haven't done anything since I last updated the log, mostly walking here and there but I'm doing what I can to be productive now; going to try to do something daily in terms of physical movement.

11/03/2016 workout (only focused on one set with high intensity unless noted)

Squat: 170x5
Press: 201.3x1 (first time doing this much)
Axle deadlift: 201.3x5
O.H. Flask: 93.79x3/100.8x2/100.8x5 seconds
Barbell Curl: 97.69x10
Headstrap: 39.7x70

• Like 1

11/10/2016

Squat: 189x3/3/3

Press: 138x3/3/3

Barbell Curl: 118x3/3

IM Little Big Horn: 124x3/3/3

Rolling Thunder: 125x3/3/3

41 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Press: 138x333

Good volume there :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chez said:

Good volume there :D

My shoulders would be shot lol, only Kinney could do that workout :)

• Like 2