One Arm Pull Up Training!

Electron

To all the disbelievers of the towel method:

I can only do a pull up with 50lbs attached. However, I can now hold the top position in a 1AC with only the assistance of the pinkie of my other hand. I can't pull up full range like that... but I think that this is proof that it will build lock-out power. I'm almost certain that by the time that I hit the end of the towel that I will be able to 1AC through a limited ROM... which then I will lengthen the movement and acheive the one arm chin... without using weights for the training.

That's some good stuff. I'm still doubtful that you'll be able to do daily training any sort of OAC variant with only one hand on the bar....

A pinky-assisted lockoff is a solid milestone, so props!

• 4 weeks later...

Getting ready to drop another fist on the towel. This is the last drop that I can make without taking my hand off of the towel. However, I still believe that I will be able to train everyday, but will have to figure out a way to vary intensity until the lock-outs are no longer circa-max. From there I will use a system of progressive movement training until I can do full ROM.

FYI I am currently 180lbs.

Getting ready to drop another fist on the towel. This is the last drop that I can make without taking my hand off of the towel. However, I still believe that I will be able to train everyday, but will have to figure out a way to vary intensity until the lock-outs are no longer circa-max. From there I will use a system of progressive movement training until I can do full ROM.

You're getting considerably stronger than what you showed in your first video. Good job man.

As for me, I've stopped focusing on my 1APU in order to work out so I'm more well-rounded. I spend a lot more time in the gym.

BTW: Pavel is awesome. Started checking out his stuff, "comrade"!

You're getting considerably stronger than what you showed in your first video. Good job man.

As for me, I've stopped focusing on my 1APU in order to work out so I'm more well-rounded. I spend a lot more time in the gym.

BTW: Pavel is awesome. Started checking out his stuff, "comrade"!

Pavel is hilarious and a good source of information, but he is quite the salesman just FYI.

Just remember that hard work does not equate to good gains which is something discussed in Power to the People.

Oh one last thing... I honestly believe that if a lot of people put the mental energy into their training that they put into their physical training, then there would be a lot more elites walking around and a lot less broken down meatheads. Just saying.

Oh one last thing... I honestly believe that if a lot of people put the mental energy into their training that they put into their physical training, then there would be a lot more elites walking around and a lot less broken down meatheads. Just saying.

You're gonna have to rephrase that for me. I don't understand what's being said.

One arm chin + pinky assistance acheived.

However, I had to wear gloves with the assisting hand because the strap that I am using is REALLY digging into my finger.

I'll post a video tomorrow, if I remember.

Decided to record a video of a OAC hold in the top position. Felt really strong, so decided to do holds at 90 degrees and 135 degrees. Could of held each position for longer, but was so surprised at how easy it felt that i didn't think to! Really pleased with the progress, although my left arm is falling behind fast. I'm going to have to put some work in to bring it closer to my right.

Good job hellswindstaff. One thing I'm wondering is why you jump down from the top position after a rep. I personally feel that a controlled descent will add to your strength.

I'm not overly concerned with eccentric strength now in the 1AC, not to mention that it will cut into recovery. I'll worry about eccentric strength when I can 1AC for reps

Thanks! I would tend to agree with TentacleGrip usually, but i must admit that the way you are training certainly seems to be getting results! The speed of your ascent with your left arm was really impressive, shows that you have an excess of strength with the pinky assist - how close do you think you are to getting one unassisted in terms of timeframe?

Patrick... I'm almost as fast with the right, the angle is just weird with the camera. It's crappy quality because I'm using a webcam.

How long... not sure. I think that I should be fairly comfortable with the movement in 2-3 months, but that's just an estimate... but in terms of getting the movement, at least inconsistently, maybe 1-2 months? Like I said just an estimate though.

Ah okay, sounds pretty good to me. I just tried, and managed a pinky assist with my right arm AND left arm - despite the fact i can't do a negative with my left... my right pinky must be stronger than my left. I'm going to start adding weight to the negative movement as suggested by Jim Bathhurst. I'll use ankle weights to begin with, just adding 1 or 2 kg. Once i can do a 10 second negative with say 5kg, i should be good to get a OAC. Not sure about the timeframe for that, but probably similar to you - i'm anxious not to try and progress too quickly, i've avoided the dreaded tendonitis so far, and i'm keen to carry on avoiding it!! For my left arm, i'm planning on doing finger assists to get to the stage where i can do a negative, then work the same progression.

I'll try to post a vid of a negative with my ankle weights in 10 days or so, after a few more sessions with the unweighted negative to really lock that down.

Not as much, but exercising both contractions are better than just doing one. :ph34r:

Not as much, but exercising both contractions are better than just doing one. :ph34r:

Maybe you're right, but then again I'll be hitting a 1AC before everyone. I started training later than mostly everyone. AND I began with fairly poor pull up strength. Not to mention, with the exception of patrick, that I weigh significantly more than every everyone ;)

Edited by hellswindstaff

Not discrediting eccentric strength, but I am saying that training a concentric movement with an eccentric one probably won't work so well. No one trains their bench press with 140% of their 1RM... no one that PRs regularly anyway.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Maybe you're right, but then again I'll be hitting a 1AC before everyone. I started training later than mostly everyone. AND I began with fairly poor pull up strength. Not to mention, with the exception of patrick, that I weigh significantly more than every everyone ;)

Good luck on that, but NOT IF I CAN HELP IT! :chris:

I'm up to doing almost comfortable reps with 80#s, but still no 1APU. Since you weigh more, it'll be an uphill battle. And Sun Tzu says it's better to be positioned at the top of said hill.

Btw Patrick, nice gymnastic rings. Where did you get them?

Thanks! I got them from a seller on ebay a few weeks ago for £25 - well, £15 + £10 P&P. I've been really happy with them, straps and buckles seem very sturdy and the rings themselves are comfortable enough, could do with a little bit more grip on them, but that's being picky. Great training tool for the same price as a CoC or GHP gripper in the UK.

@ Patrickmeniru

Do you think that the rings make the maneuver easier or hardier than a straight bar?

@ Patrickmeniru

Do you think that the rings make the maneuver easier or hardier than a straight bar?

I'm not 100% sure, because i haven't tried on a bar for a long time, but i'm pretty sure they make it a tiny bit easier. When you are on rings, you don't have to worry about controlling your rotation, so you're always in the best position to pull-up. Although, i think that once you have the strength to do a OAC, you can probably do it on either a bar or rings, might just take a little practice to get used to the one you don't normally use. That's my best guess at any rate.