Another Gripper Log

bencrush

8-16-04

Did a bunch of reps with my #2, TNS style of course. :D

TNS-#2-304 reps total-right hand ***PR*** :rock

TNS-#2-173 reps total-left hand ***PR***

And some other assorted gripper work including a single TNS of the Narrow Grand Master.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• FrankyBoy

• Jonathan McMillan

• austinslater

I've been working some big hours at work lately so I haven't posted my workouts as of late...but I've been toiling away like a madman. :D I called Warren Tetting on the 18th and he was amazed that I hadn't gotten my Super Master yet. It seems he had shipped it out on JULY 19th! This is only the 2nd gripper he's lost so far. Anyway, I got home today and a gripper package was waiting for me on the table.

Ripped open the package eagerly and closed it with a table no set and held it for a count or two. Then on my 2nd time did the same again. On the 3rd try I actually ground the handles back and forth a bit.

Amazingly enough the certificate for closing it was enclosed in another flat envelope and it was already signed and everything. I am going to phone Tetting tomorrow and tell him how it went. I think I'm the 9th person so far to certify with it. On to the Grand Master!

Not to take away from your accomplishment, but why would Warren Tetting include a signed certificate indicating you closed the Super Master before you even had the gripper in your hands. (If I understand you correctly.) I mean, doesn't that kind of make a mockery of his certification process?

OrangeCrush, I've spoken with Tetting several times now and in this last conversation I told him that I had closed the narrow Super Master that I already had for 100 singles in one workout. He seemed to be surprised at the amount of volume I was doing in preparation for the event. I also offered to videotape and have a witness for the closing of the Super Master. I believe that he thought it would be quite easy for me and a waste of video space as it's not a great achievement, as compared to a table no set close of a Grand Master or above.

I'm quite pleased with the certification regardless of the fact that he has no actual "proof" that I closed my gripper. If I hadn't been able to close my gripper-I would have immediately phoned him and told him that I was unable to-and asked him if I should send the certification form back to him or just keep trying until I'm able to. I will never cheat or say that I've closed a gripper that I haven't. We also spoke of ways that some integrity-challenged individuals might be able to cheat by heating springs, et cetera. I can't speak for him, but he might be of the opinion that even a video doesn't really prove a gripper close. In other words I could have placed Super Master handles on a Master spring or something on par with that. I don't know if that's really answered anything or not... :)

Your point is well taken. The Tetting certificate is based on an honor system, which is what it is. If someone wants to manipulate the system, they can, but they are only cheating themselves. Still, I think it's a good thing that the other certifications (that I know of) require some kind of proof. Let's face it--some people WILL take advantage of other people's trust, for whatever reason.

I think that any certification over a Super Master probably requires both video and a witness. I am not sure though so maybe Jeff Peterson or Austin Slater could correct me if I'm wrong. In the end, if you don't like the certification system (or perceived lack of) don't pursue it. I chose to for many reasons. One is for the sheer fact that there aren't many people on the list yet. Another reason is I think it's a better test of hand strength. And to be honest, if I could close the #3 with a set, I'd be certified on that too...but I can't and so I choose the method in which I'm apparently a little better suited for. I don't think there's any shame in that.

Thank you Mossman. :D TNS stands for Table No Set and involves only picking up the gripper and closing it with one hand. No assistance from the non-gripping hand at all. Not even a slight touch to put the gripper handle in the "sweet spot." After doing hundreds and hundreds of reps I seem to be almost equal in strength on these to my "set" close strength, which was marginal at best.

8-24-04

35 York

Deadlift-narrow-1-both hands

Deadlift-FACE-20 reps total-both hands ***PR***

--------------------------------------------------------------

8-25-04

TNS-Certification Super Master-23 reps total-& 2 attempts-right hand **PR**

I came home and my Certification Grand Master was waiting on the kitchen table for me. I attempted it 3 or 4 times TNS but only got it to parallel at best. It's a tough bastard. Might do a little bit better with 4 or 5 days of rest though. Slightly.

8-26-04

The grip portion of my workout today consisted of some thick bar deadlifting. Double overhand grip.

2" Deadlift-Double Overhand-123X1, 173X1, 223X1, 273X1, 303X1 ***PR***, 313X1 ***PR*** :rock

I know this isn't anything special, but it's more than I've ever done before. My previous PR was set at the 2002 Super Grip Challenge and was only 300. I'm a little heavier now but am still pleased with it as I haven't been specializing on it like I did two years ago. Used a sumo stance and had plenty of grip left, but barely could have pulled 5 more pounds with my deadlifting ability or lack of...I'm guessing I could have probably pulled 350+ had I been able to deadlift it. I need to get stronger at deadlifting. I'm unfortunately still a little gun shy about my back.

8-28-04

Plate Pinching-(4) 10s-10 laps around my waist ***PR***

Note: Previous PR was 3 laps. Did a bunch of other non grip-related stuff.

8-29-04

2" Deadlift Lockout-Double Overhand-173X1, 213X1, 263X1, 313X1, 363Xcleared the pins

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2" Deadlift Lockout-Mixed Grip-463X1, 513X1 ***PR***

Note: This was a 10 pound PR but I had to stop, girlfriend was sick. More next time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1" Vertical Bar Deadlift-212X1, 237Xfail

Note: I guess 212 is my PR now...as I have never done the 1" V-Bar Lift before. I used a 1" diameter pin from my power rack and I'm sure held it too far down on the handle. ;)

8-30-04

Gripper work again...

TNS-FM-1

TNS-HG200-1

TNS-RB180-1

TNS-Cert SM-3 reps total

TNS-Cert GM-attemptX2

Set Close-#3-attempt

Set Close-Cert GM-attempt

Set Close-PDA280-1

8-31-04

35 York

Deadlift-narrow-10-right hand

-7-left hand-and 3 CTF

Deadlift-FACE-2-both hand

Clean-narrow-1-right hand ***PR*** :rock --first time to clean the 35 York!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 Block Weight

Deadlift-narrow-5-both hands

Deadlift-FACE-5-both hands

Clean-narrow-1-both hands

Snatch-narrow-1-both hands

---------------------------------------------

25 Block Weight

Deadlift-narrow-1-both hands

Deadlift-FACE-1-both hands

Clean-narrow-1-both hands

Clean-FACE-1-both hands

Snatch-narrow-1-both hands

Snatch-FACE-1-both hands

-------------------------------------

I'm pleased with the clean of the 35. I knew I'd get it, just didn't think it was going to be for a while yet. On to the 40. :D

8-31-04

Knew it was going to be a great day for me with the grippers. It was a 12 hour shift overnight with not many distractions. Just me and my skin and strength.

TNS-Filed M-1

TNS-HG200-1

TNS-#2-1

TNS-RW HG250-1

TNS-Shiny HG250-1

TNS-Filed #2-1

TNS-Cert SM-60 ***PR*** :rock

TNS-PDA280-attempt

TNS-Cert GM-attempt

TNS-#3-attempt

Negative-#3-1

Negative-Cert GM-1

60 with the Cert SM should hopefully bring me a tiny step closer to closing my Cert GM. I can still barely get it to parallel.

9-1-04

Had a friend over to bench press. As usual we got a wild hair and tried some more plate pinching and passing around the waist.

Plate Pinching-(5) 10s-cleared the floor-both hands

Plate Pinching-(4) 10s-15 laps around my waist ***PR***--last PR was 10!

Plate Pinching-(4) 10s-2 Fingers & Thumb-1 deadlift-both hands

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later in the day on my own:

2" Deadlift Lockout-Overhand Grip-213X1, 263X1, 313X1

Switched to Mixed Grip

2" Deadlift Lockout-Mixed Grip-363X1, 413X1, 473X1, 523X1 ***PR***, 543X1 ***PR***

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week I did 513X1 but knew that I had a bit more in me. 543 kind of sucks but it's a start. :blush

Awesome log Ben, I cannot believe the volume your managing to get through. How many days a week are you training??

You seem to have a great recovery time between workouts, what is your secret? :D

Keep up the good work

Cajun :rock

Thanks Cajunjay. I have a stressful job and work 12 hour days. And spend my days and nights surrounded by the lower part of society (yes, there are also some very good people in jail, but they're getting to be few and far between). So I train whenever I feel like it. Which is often. I consider the workouts to be soul cleansing-scrub away the day's accumulated wear and tear and begin anew the next day. Phoenix-like in a way. ;)

I occasionally cycle up in volume to over 400+ in the table no set closes, of course depending on which gripper it is I'm working with at the time. Then I tend to go down in volume for a while to let everything-including my skin-heal up enough to hopefully supercompensate. Then do it all again.

9-4-04

Grippers at work. TNS-Cert SM-61 reps total ***PR***--previous was 60 :blush

Plate Pinch-(5) 10s-FULL DEADLIFT-right hand ***PR!*** :rock

Note: First time I managed to fully deadlift the (5) 10s. I also managed to set them down nice and easy.

Nice job SuperMaster Ben!!!! I find it painful if I let the plates slip in a multiplate pinch so I hear you on getting a nice set down as well :rock

Jon@han

9-4-04

Grippers at work.  TNS-Cert SM-61 reps total  ***PR***--previous was 60 :blush

Plate Pinch-(5) 10s-FULL DEADLIFT-right hand  ***PR!*** :rock

Note: First time I managed to fully deadlift the (5) 10s.  I also managed to set them down nice and easy.

Extraordinary.

Good job, Ben.

Wanna see the 100. :happy

Congrats for the 5 10s. :mosher

Also forgot to mention that on the 4th I did:

Pinch Grip-(2) 25s-5 laps around my waist ***PR***---previous was 2?

9-6-04

I actually started bending again! I am considering (if work permits) going to Bob's grip contest in Michigan. Very tentative at this point, I am negotiating with work.

Bent some easy timber ties and tried a couple of Grade 2s...nothing on those. That sucks, but I knew my bending would be WAY down after however long it's been.

Then in between sets of my deadlift lockouts, I wrapped up one of my very last Yellow Nails and bent it in 25 seconds. Easily, which surprised me a bit. I probably could have done it in 15 or less if I had believed I was actually going to get it done. Not a big deal, but a good deal that I haven't lost as much strength as I would have guessed.

9-6-04

Deadlift Lockout-Olympic Bar-225X1-Double Overhand, 275X1, 325X1, 375X1

*switch to mixed grip*

445X1, 495X1, 555X1 ***PR***, 575X1 ***PR***, 605X1 ***PR***

Note: Again I didn't have any more room on the bar for more plates. I need more 45s. I actually used two gi belts to tie some of my girlfriend's dumbbells to the bar to add just enough to go over 600. Sad indeed. :blush

9-6-04

35 York-Deadlift and Hold-7 seconds, 10 seconds-right hand

35 York-Deadlift and Hold-5 seconds-left hand

30 Block Weight-Deadlift and Hold-7 seconds-right hand

30 Block Weight-Deadlift and Hold-9 seconds-left hand

Note: I was surprised that I couldn't hold the 35 or the 30 for a far longer time than I did. Another weakness spotted.

9-7-04

35 York-Deadlift and Hold-10 seconds, 5 seconds-right hand

35 York-Deadlift and Hold-6 seconds *PR*, 2 seconds-left hand

30 Block Weight-Deadlift and Hold-15 seconds *PR*-right hand

30 Block Weight-Deadlift and Hold-15 seconds *PR*-left hand