Another Gripper Log

bencrush

Thank you Travis and Clay. I read anything you guys write. And learn from quite a bit of it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• FrankyBoy

• Jonathan McMillan

• austinslater

7-30-04

A 30 Pound Block Weight is my newest addition. Just had it cut from a 60 Pound hex dumbbell a couple of days ago.

I think I'll start posting my block weight workouts too as I feel they might be adding to my gripper strength. I have a theory, which I might have read previously, that the table no set closes are aided by the wide open hand position that the block weights require. Somebody please correct me if you think I'm wrong. Until then I'll keep posting them:

30 Pound Block Weight-Deadlift-Narrow-40 reps total-both hands

30 Pound Block Weight-Clean-Narrow-3 reps total-both hands

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also bought a solid piece of cold rolled steel at the machine shop where I had my dumbbell cut. It weighs 52 pounds. Diameter is 2.54" and length is 37.375". I am going to use it for sort of a grip "GPP". I believe it will only help my efforts with the grippers because it's pretty wide. And even though the weight isn't high, that's probably a good thing as it won't tend to burn out my CNS. I won't go into details here, but suffice it to say that I "won" the pipe by performing a one hand snatch with it. A guy working in the shop told me he didn't think I could. So I did. And he actually paid up. :D

Solid Thick Pipe-Curl-30 reps total

Solid Thick Pipe-Reverse Curl-10 reps total

May do some gripper work tonight, but I'm trying to lay off of it for a few days...I'm still expecting the cert gripper in the mail any day now.

7-31-04

I managed to hold off doing any gripper work today. That's an incredible feat in itself. :D

Solid Thick Pipe-Reverse Curl-41 reps total

That's it for the day. Nice feel as I've said before though.

8-1-04

Set Close-#3-attemptX1

Set Close-NGM-17 reps total

TNS-NGM-3 reps total

TNS-NSM-3 reps total

TNS-NSM-Pause Closes-16 reps total

TNS-Trainer-10 reps total

8-1-04

Monkey Grip Deadlift-135X1, 185X1, 235X1, 285X1, 315X1, 335Xfail

Monkey Grip Deadlift Lockouts In Rack-365X1, 385X1, 315X1

8-3-04

I started my permanent 12 hour days...the only thing they're good for is getting in lots of volume with the grippers. Today was only a moderate volume day though.

TNS-NSM-Pause Closes-2 reps total

TNS-Shiny HG250-Pause Close-1 rep

TNS-RW HG250-Pause Close-1 rep

TNS-Hard #2-Pause Close-1 rep

TNS-#2-Pause Close-1 rep

TNS-HG200-Pause Close-1 rep

TNS-Filed Master-Pause Close-1 rep

TNS-Master-Pause Close-1 rep

TNS-#1-Pause Close-221 reps total-finally got my #1 back from my supervisor!

I only did the TNS on the #1 for some light gripper work. I did them in sets of 5, each rep being actually set down on the table top before TNS closing it again. I didn't want to stop until 500 or so but got busy actually working...what the Hell?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later in the day...

Pinch Grip Deadlift-(2) 25s-full lockout-2 separate times

(2) 25s-full lockout-2 fingers & thumb-2 separate times ***PR***

(2) 25s-circled around my waist-1 lap ***PR***

(4) 10s-full lockout-2 separate times

(4) 10s-full lockout-2 fingers & thumb-2 separate times ***PR***

(5) 10s-@ 10" off the ground-1 time ***PR!***

Great pinch grip progress for me. I've always had to really bear down to even deadlift the (2) 25s, much less DO anything with them!

8-4-04

I was pretty psyched up after yesterday's monster good workout. Pulled out the Apollon's Axle and gave it some use today.

Axle Clean & Press-88X1, 108X1, 128X1, 148X1, 168X1 ***PR***

-->last press was very hard for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Axle Deadlift Lockout-Double Overhand-223X1, 273X1

-->last deadlift lockout was easy but wanted to try the mixed grip instead

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Axle Deadlift Lockout-Mixed Grip-303X1, 363X1, 403X1, 453X1+5 second hold ***PR***

-->I've actually never done the lockouts with the Axle. So technically every lift was a PR. Also didn't have enough room for any more plates. So I'll buy some 45s tomorrow (note: I did buy them on the 5th)

30 Pound Block Weight-

Deadlift-narrow-45 reps total-both hands ***PR***

Deadlift-FACE-22 reps total-both hands ***PR***

Deadlift-narrow-2 fingers & thumb-3 reps total-both hands ***PR***

Clean-narrow-4 reps total-both hands ***PR***

Excellent workout!

Thank you Travis. I'm trying to keep everything going without getting injured in the process...isn't everyone though? :D

8-5-04

Solid Thick Pipe Curl-100 reps total

-->Pipe weighs 52 pounds and is 2.54" diameter-not much of a challenge with two hands but has a nice feel to it.

Thanks Jonathan, wait until you see my gripper volume from 8-7-04! ALL Table No Set to boot. :whistel

8-7-04

TNS-#1-175 reps total-right hand ***PR***

TNS-#1-475 reps total-left hand ***PR :rock ***

TNS-Master-1-both hands

TNS-Filed Master-1-both hands

TNS-HG200-1-both hands

TNS-#2-1-right hand

TNS-#2-26 reps total-left hand ***PR***

TNS-Hard #2-1-both hands

TNS-RW HG250-1-both hands

TNS-Shiny HG250-1-both hands

TNS-NSM-100 reps total-right hand ***PR*** :rock

TNS-NSM-2 reps total-left hand

I wanted the 100 reps on the NSM so much that I could almost taste it...so I kept at it regardless of the slight skin discomfort involved. Almost all of the NSM singles were actually audibly closed. I intended to do only 300 or so reps with the #1 (TNS) but as I got to that number I set the goal a little bit higher. So what I really wanted was the even 500. But my hands actually hurt a bit, so I quit. :blush Good times! :mosher

I wanted to clarify that all of the above reps were performed by picking up each and every rep with only the closing hand in contact with the gripper. This is by far the most table no set volume I've done to date. I love it. I'm sure that even the #1 work will serve me well in the future.

Great workout! Im curious if youve noticed an increase in muscle size with that kind of volume. Keep it up!

Austin

Austin, my forearms haven't increased in size...but the strange thing is people are commenting on the look of them often lately. They do look different than they have in the past year or so. One construction worker (work release inmate) said a couple of days ago that I looked, "Strong. Period." I took that as a compliment of the highest order. When I bend the elbow to 90 degrees or so in front of the mirror they seem to be much bigger than the measurement would suggest. In fact, I'm often shocked at how small they are when I measure them.

The biggest difference I've noted is the increased hardness in the forearm area. Especially near the elbow region. They are as solid as a rock. I wrestled with an inmate at work a couple of days ago. He tried to get past me after putting him into a cell to sleep off the effects of his latest alcohol binge. After the alcohol wore off, he remarked that the "accidental" contact with his head by my elbow felt like someone hit him with a pipe. In fact, he kept insisting that I HAD hit him with a pipe! I assured him that I had not used a pipe. :D That's when I started to realize that they probably were actually getting harder. Nothing like having someone verify it for you though.

Heh Ben,

thats unreal. :bow

Any updates on your certs?

Excellent job!

TNS-#1-175 reps total-right hand  ***PR***

TNS-#1-475 reps total-left hand  ***PR :rock ***

:whacked:bow:bow

Thanks guys!

Franky, I sent the money order for my gripper a while ago. I must have messed something up. I need to call him but I'm working 12 hour days now...

8-8-04

2" Bar Deadlift Lockout-Mixed Grip-263X1, 313X1, 363X1, 463X1 ***PR***, 503X1 ***PR***, 563Xfail

I also benched with feet in the air, not that benching has anything whatsoever to do with grip...just rambling. ;)

8-9-04

Wanted to better my max on the monkey grip deadlift:

135X1, 185X1, 235X1, 285X1, 320X1 ***PR***

-->barely got the deadlift portion of the lift before my back felt like it was going to break

---------------------------------------------------------------

2 Hand Pinch Grip-93X1, 113X1, 133Xfail?

-->this didn't feel right...I'm not quite this weak usually

---------------------------------------------------------------

2" Vertical Bar Deadlift-152X1, 167X1, 202X1 ***PR***

-->I like this! Felt like on a better day I might have pulled 220 from the ground

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2" Dumbbell Deadlift-142X1-just messing around a bit:)

8-9-04

Later on the 9th I received my Brass Handled RB180 in the mail. This is a work of art! Pimp gripper to say the least. Everyone I've shown it to is jealous. It's spread is very wide-3" between the inside handles. Harder to close than any #2 and almost every HG250 I've ever tried. In fact, I have several friends at work that have closed #2s and a few that have closed an HG250. None closed the RB180. I barely closed it TNS.

TNS-RB180-1

Set Close-RB180-4 reps total-3 consecutive reps

Edit: Since the 9th I've probably let 50 or so people try it...none were closer than 1/2" and most were an inch or more. Very good challenge gripper.

8-10-04

I couldn't leave the RB180 alone.

TNS-RB180-2 reps total.

Set Close-RB180-15 reps total ***PR***

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I also got my 35 York Blob from Pexter. Thanks again Pexter! Very fast service. I've been dying to get my hands on one of the Yorks and compare it to a hex head block weight. For those of you who don't know, the York is FAR harder than the hex head. Seemed to be much wider and harder to hold onto. Here's what I did:

Deadlift-narrow-6 reps total-right hand

Deadlift-narrow-2 reps total-left hand

I was glad just to deadlift the damn thing. It just didn't want to leave the ground. I love it. :D I guess we'll see if its will to stay rooted is stronger than my will to uproot it.

8-12-04

I wanted to do the gripper part of the GBGB6 tonight at work while I had the time:

#2-20 consecutive reps-right hand-opening to parallel each rep

#2-13 consecutive reps-left hand-opening to parallel each rep

The weird thing is I banged out 15 or so with my right hand before slowing down to a crawl-but still moving-then switched midstream (without resetting) to full open and close reps and got some more reps in the bag. Strange that full reps seem to be a "rest period" to me now. I might have been able to get more full reps than partials. Must be something bizarre in my machinery. Same thing for the left hand. I'll try to better the numbers, but I don't think that will happen any time soon. :)

8-13-04

35 York Blob

Deadlift-narrow-30 reps total-right hand ***PR***

Deadlift-narrow-15 reps total-left hand ***PR***

------------------------------------------------------------

30 Hex Block Weight

Deadlift-narrow-10 reps total-both hands

-->I think it's time to get my hands on a 40 York.

8-14-04

In honor of the GBGB6 I maxed on the one hand clean:

45X1, 65X1, 85X1, 105X1, 125X1 ***PR***, 135Xfail at rack

-->I might try again before the deadline to get 135

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Hand Pinch-123X1

-->These plates are very slick and I suck at pinch

-----------------------------------------------------------

(5) 10s-cleared the floor-both hands

-->Soon I'll get these to full deadlift-the left hand was actually @ knee level

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) 25s-2 laps around my waist ***PR***

-->This was pretty damn hard after the miserable 2 hand pinch and the (5) 10s attempt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(4) 10s-3 laps around my waist ***PR***

-->Not nearly as hard as the (2) 25s around the waist.

All in all a nice workout.