Global Grip Challenge 2004

smitty

I am gald you are coming Mob. As far as David Horne goes, only he can answer best, but I HIGHLY doubt the contest layout is what kept him from coming. That statement is just ridiculous. David is retired, plain and simple.

Sometimes it is better not to speak than to remove all doubts. My guess could be a wild guess or a rather well educated one.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smitty

• mobsterone

• Jedd Johnson

• Mikael Siversson

- yes, the RT favors large hands, but if the open hand strength and wrist strength are there, smaller handed competitors will do just fine. Midget has 7" hands and pulls massive weight on the RT.  And.....it is only 1 out of 5 events..

Backing up your point.

Josh Bigger hands:8"

Phil Pfister hands:9"(and at least 1 or 1.5 inches wider)

Results in RT in COMPETITION:tie

Although Josh broke 236# off the floor.Pfister could not.

This was a bad day and was a tough week for Mr. Bigger.

He defeated other renowned grippers that day.....and they all had larger hands.

This isn't a Josh Bigger advertisement.Just the hand size issue.

There will be the unveiling of another 245+ Rolling thunder lifter soon.With 7 3/4"hands. ;)

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Yes there would be many exceptions to this rule. Nonetheless, does thick bar lifting put guys with short hands at a disadvantage? Yes it does.

• 2 weeks later...
Why not make this competition both hands? It only makes sense that overall grip strength means both hands are in the picture.

At the Aussie Grip Champs last year we had to use a different hand for the 2 one-handed events - 1-hand pinch, and little big horn.

Just added a bit more strategy to it.

Not a suggestion... just something interesting :)

One hand only (even if one can switch between left and right between events) competitions are fully justified in their own right but they are not allround grip strength competitions in a more strict sence. Switching between left and right hand between events could also be described as systematically avoiding weak areas of the grip (e.g. avoiding a weak lefty in the grippers or a weakish righty in the v-bar etc.). The drawback of testing both hands is obviously the time factor, so one would normally have to limit the number of competitors.

Guys,

The hotel is down to 5 rooms. Please reserve while you can.

-Jedd-

Well, we're getting closer to the contest guys. More contestants are contacting us everyday. We are over 20 participants now. Also, almost daily I am receiving notes of new Records List entrants. Great job!

I shudder to think about some of the things that will go down at this contest and after it! Records lists are going to get piled on, I think!

This event is going to be something special. A huge group of talent from around the world with the best organization we can muster. A great group of sponsors and the best donations of prizes.

But the after show is going to be even more awesome. We've got strength challenges set up. We've got a Kettlebell show set up. Cash prizes. Introductions, reunions, friendships, and camaraderie. You don't want to miss this guys.

I have taken a few major trips this year and met people that I readily stay in contact with. The first trip was up to TPS in January. There, we really got to get to know Wendler, Murph, Matt Rhodes, Bob Jodoin. In April, it was Night of Strength and I met Pat, Heath, John Wood, Jake Brooks, Sean Dockery, Shrug, and many many others that we often talk to. Then this past August, I met a couple guys from another forum, and we've kept in touch a lot since then.

The point is this guys - This is going to be a time you do not want to miss. You come here and I guarantee you will make friendships that will last for years. You will learn training tips and see some of the greatest strength displays ever, in the spirit it was meant to be!

Please, if you are on the fence about coming, don't miss this. You will wish you had come if you don't. "I can't compete with them" you might think. Who cares! That's not what it all is about. Come and meet these guys. There's gonna be hours of stuff going on after the contest.

It'll be history.

I can't wait for the day to get here.

-Jedd-

If the MMG3 is going for the three candidates, I need to know when I should send it. Jedd, PM me your address and this info. Thanks.

Guys,

If you can, please bring a lawn chair. Chalk is not a necessity, but bring it if you like. We will have some.

Also, bring any toys you would like to show off. It would be nice if someone brought another inch dumbbell replica, so that we can try for some double inch farmer's walks.

-Jedd-

I can bring my Inch. How many Blobs will be there?

• 2 weeks later...

I Can't thank you Jedd & Smitty enough for putting the GGC togther man,love you guys.You guys are opening something up that will pave the way for something even bigger one day,I can see it!!! :D

I had the time of my life,meeting new grip bruthas.Watching with amazment of all the PR's including my own.Jon Mcmillan's grade 5 bend and his V bar lift blew me away.Rick Walker's near miss of 435 an arm at his body weight.I see Rick has it in him to hit,at least a 750 raw-deadlift.Clay Edgin's 455 single arm farmers dealift with the 1.5" handle was sick,it looked easy for him.Kurt lane at age 18 bending a grade8 .What amazed me the most was the non-competitor Big Steve, bending a 1/2"dia.15" long HRS bar into a U.Your a beast Steve!!!And Terminators #5 horseshoe bend.Pat you are world class bro!!!

Had a riot at the party afterwards at Jedd's house.The Vigents are insane.I laughed so hard that my side hurt.

This was truly the best grip comp. ever.The next one will be even better,can't wait!!!

It was a pleasure meeting you all,that were there.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you sign up for this newsletter, bro?

-Jedd-

• 1 month later...

Well, the produtcion is all ready. I worked to perfect this dvd during the entire month of October, so i hope you all like it.

Chris Trimborn has received his copy and Dan cenidoza should receive his soon, as I sent it out Wednesday afternoon.

Aside from having every taped attempt that occured on that fateful day, September 18th, this DVD also has the best montage video I ever put together. 8 hours of action condensed into 8 minutes of video aggression. It really captures the excitement of the event - the determination on the athlete's faces, and the comradery of the worldwide Grip family.

The montages are set to songs by an area Rock band, Highland Drive. This band's rhythm goes great with the intensity of the day. The riffs harness the effort and support of the combatants.

Never-before-seen pics from the post-contest party are on the last disk and newly uncovered Diesel Discoveries were incorporated into each of the 5 events.

For ordering information, visit our website, Diesel Crew.com, or PM me and Smitty. It's truly a piece of history that you can watch for years to come. See for yourself what the excitement is all about when Diesel Crew and an entire world of Grip competitors gets together on an Autumn Pennsylvania day. While the waters of the Susquehanna rushed throughout the Eastern Counties, the adrenaline of athletes from around the globe rushed within the gymnasium of the YMCA, and all was captured for your viewing pleasure.

-Jedd-