Global Grip Challenge 2004

smitty

Mikael,

Jim used a hook grip, right?

edited: I mean a David Horne modified hook grip, right? Decribed in Jim's article....?

Edited by smitty

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smitty

• mobsterone

• Jedd Johnson

• Mikael Siversson

Jim use not a hookgrip when he lift 163.8kg. With hookgrip Jim lifted 243 kg!

Jim use not a hookgrip when he lift 163.8kg. With hookgrip Jim lifted 243 kg!

All lifts done in competition with a LGC v-bar replica (be it in Sweden or England) were done with a regular grip (i.e., a hook grip was not allowed). 400lbs would,in my view, be a better feat than closing a #4. It's that difficult. Jim's 243k (535lbs) with a hook grip was done some time ago on a similar but not identical v-bar.

With all the great pinchers there and with IM as a sponsor?

Perhaps a SEPERATE Iron Mind wide pinch grip contest......for what will likely be an OFFICIAL world record on that IM implement.

Perhaps IM would kick in a small pize 'purse'and then charge the entrants an extra $5 a pop to enter this seperate contest.Winner take all?

The two handed pinch is a GREAT event and would be part of the regular contest....and to me the two handed pinch is the way to go to compare with other international contests.

But??there are some damn good pinchers there.And with a scale or calibrated ,good judges,weights I'm sure an OFFICIAL Iron Mind world record would be set and would add some MORE credibility to your contest.(it already has plenty :rock ...but more is good?)

I've found a pinch on the IM big block ISN'T very demanding and it probably wouldn't take much out of the lifters.

Anyway...just an idea..no big deal. :cool

Are you guys planning on making a video of the contest as well? Im sure it would sell well and maybe cover some of the costs to put the contest on.

Austin

Are you guys planning on making a video of the contest as well? Im sure it would sell well and maybe cover some of the costs to put the contest on.

Austin

We have that technology as well.

-Jedd-

I wish i could go to this contest just to watch all of these monsters!!!

With that list of competitors it should be an awesome contest.

COOL...

Hi Jedd,

Not only will we sponsor some of our products for prizes, but we'll send the HG500 to your event with the $500 bounty on it!! That way my friend Steve will get a chance to close it. The only condition(on sending the HG500) is that Steve is allowed the first try at the HG500 if he goes as I've been promising him an attempt for about 6 months, but haven't been able to send the HG500 to the UK yet due to scheduling conflicts. I was going to send it to our UK Heavygrip distributor in September for Steve to try it, but if he is attending, I will send it to your event instead.

Please let me know any details of your event and I will have it advertised on www.heavysports.com and www.heavygrips.com .

I would love to attend the event. What is the closest major airport??

Best wishes,

Bill M.

I may be able to make it, I may not. It will depend on my academic demands and I wont know until school starts.

Austin

We have that technology as well.

-Jedd-

I would suggest a "Highlight" type of video.

Watching a grip contest would be worse than a powerlifting contest. :)

I wish i could go to this contest just to watch all of these monsters!!!

With that list of competitors it should be an awesome contest.

Dane,

I wish you would come and compete and get experience in Grip Contests. I hope you consider competing. I think you will love it. It is not just about winning, big guy. Grip Contests are some of the most supportive contests, and you will learn tons. let us know if you have any questions.

I may be able to make it, I may not. It will depend on my academic demands and I wont know until school starts.

John,

I hope classes will allow you to come. It would be great to hang out with you again, but I know you are busy that time of year.

I would suggest a "Highlight" type of video.

Watching a grip contest would be worse than a powerlifting contest.

That's funny, but it also partially true. It's definitely something to consider. All the more reason for people to live this, right!

Can't wait guys.

-Jedd-

I am going to call a friend from Enterprise Rent-a-car and see what I can work out, although I can not guarantee anything...

-Jedd-

Can anyone give me the specs of the LGC v-bar since that is indeed what we will be using?

Height and diameter will do.

Thank you-

Rick Walker :rock

I will support Jedd in encouraging people to compete whether they think they can win or not. I train with Eric the Red and Strongmits, I will never beat them, but every time we compete I set a PR and take myself to new heights. Its not just about competing with them, its about pushing myself further. So if you can make it to the Crew's comp, by all means compete in it! If I was able to go, no question I would compete. I am frickin envious of all who are going to be there!

W

Can anyone give me the specs of the LGC v-bar since that is indeed what we will be using?

Height and diameter will do.

Thank you-

The bottom plate is 5mm thick and 4''X4''. The 25mm (almost 1'', which is 25.4mm) diametre bar attached to it is 24'' high.

It is made of iron I think. I will ask Arne. It weighs 1.6k.

dubthewonderscot,

Exactly!!! We want everyone to be there to compete or just to watch! We are all in this together - it is going to be awesome :rock

Part of the difficulty in the v-bar lift is to reduce the rotation of the bar. Jedd has a video-clip of me pulling 140k (308lbs) on a LGC v-bar, just clearing the 5 cm limit (minimum lifting height). Feel free to ask him for it. I don't mind. Could be good to watch for people, planning to attend the comp, with little or no experience of this lift. It takes too long for me to send it myself as I am not connected to broadband.

Yes, in practice of this event, I have noticed fighting the spin is the tough part. Well, that and the feeling of the skin coming off your hand like a glove. :mellow

I have been working on some techniques to help overcome the spin. Hopefully they will prove themselves usefull.

Believe me if i didn't live like 13 hours away from where it is going to be i would be there in a flash.

I always like working out with people who are stronger man than me. It convinces me it's not impossible and pushes me to another level.

Good luck to everybody competiting, this should be a great contest.

I'm going to have to drop out. Yesterday coming home from work I had a gasket blow on my engine and I had an oil fire under the hood. To make a long story short, I'm going to have to spend some time and a lot of money to get things operational again. The fire was contained to the engine compartment and put itself out relatively quickly, but there was still damage that needs to be fixed before I can drive it safely. So my chances of going to PA went from 95% to 1%. Best of luck to the guys who make it.

Are you okay, Clay?

Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just scared the crap outta me!

I was trying to get there just for a good learning experience, and to meet a lot of guys I've come to respect. Now Clay, if I'm going, you're going you meat-head. Check your pms.